Recruiting

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im pretty sure that is the case on Beal. Majerus seems more apt to offer a guy out of wisconsin that somebody in his own backyard. Thats just my opinion though.

Maybe the cost/benefit is in favor of recruiting the guy from Wisconsin as opposed to a Beal or Mclemore since we won't likely be able to compete with the big boys.

Yeah, it would nice, but after the success of this year's team and anticipated future success over the next 2 years, I dont think anyone can argue with the staff's recruiting anymore. It just seems a little annoying that with both Beal and McLemore, the staff had to wait for the high-major schools to deem these kids worthy of an offer before extending an offer of their own, despite the fact that they can see the kids play easier and more often than outside schools. But despite that, this staff has built a winner that looks to be a force for years to come and its only year 3 as a staff. A+ job by the staff recruiting.

The staff is already on the sophomore from Ritter, Biedscheid. He would be a great addition. A big with guard skills. (It has been predicted he will grow to be at least as tall as his 6'7" father).

Maybe the cost/benefit is in favor of recruiting the guy from Wisconsin as opposed to a Beal or Mclemore since we won't likely be able to compete with the big boys.

My spin on the really good locals St L generates every so often is that while they might like SLU, they're more interested in their cred with other ballers they meet at AAU events. It's kind of like buying a car to impress. You buy a Fusion no one takes notice, buy a Ferrari... wow. If you're a 4 or 5 star you hang with other 4 or 5 stars at the tourneys. If you tell them you're going to SLU, they'll look at you funny. You tell 'em you're going to FL or KY or UNC... well, now you're talking.

My spin on the really good locals St L generates every so often is that while they might like SLU, they're more interested in their cred with other ballers they meet at AAU events. It's kind of like buying a car to impress. You buy a Fusion no one takes notice, buy a Ferrari... wow. If you're a 4 or 5 star you hang with other 4 or 5 stars at the tourneys. If you tell them you're going to SLU, they'll look at you funny. You tell 'em you're going to FL or KY or UNC... well, now you're talking.

or... they want to play in the NCAA tournament. Until we go to the promised land, its gonna be hard to land these guys.

He is gonna be a great head coach/

He already is a great head coach.

The numbers dont necessarily show it but he did really good things at Illinois state.

he took a crap program and got them moving in the right direction.

I just hope some other school doesnt scoop him up before Majerus retires.

Could they possibly put something in his contract that guarntees him the HC job after majerus leaves? something similar to what FSU does with Bowden and Jimbo Fisher?

The numbers dont necessarily show it but he did really good things at Illinois state.

Could they possibly put something in his contract that guarntees him the HC job after majerus leaves? something similar to what FSU does with Bowden and Jimbo Fisher?

That would nice wouldn't it? Lock in Porter now. I would think this would help in recruiting kids as well. Of course these kids like Majerus, but is he going to be there all 4 years? How old is he and how is his health? This is probably something that these potential recruits think about. I think it would benefit SLU in multiple ways by putting something in Porter's contract 1) You lock in your next coach, who is a quailty recruiter and coach 2) Kids coming in know that if Rick leaves in their sophomore/junior year, Porter is there to take over the show. Get to work May/Biondi.

he is already the associate head coach and gets good money on a quality staff;

Soderberg had to work with little payroll and the assistants looked like a different quality than those sharing Rick's bench

Mike Anderson did 17 years as an assistant for one coach-it is called dues

Soderberg had to work with little payroll and the assistants looked like a different quality than those sharing Rick's bench

I get that.

But he has already been the head coach for 2 DI teams and is now not a head coach.

Why wouldnt another team look at him and offer him a head coaching job? What would stop him from taking that job?

He's already proven he is a good head coach. He's proving at SLU that he is a good recruiter.

Whats the harm in telling him he will be the next HC when Majerus retires.

I think more people are worried about him leaving. From everything I've seen, he is a great ambassador for the program (also coming from a Jesuit background) and is watching every move from one of the best coaches on the planet. Not to mention his recruiting skills. It would suck if we lost him. Let's lock him in so when Rick retires we have him. Like I mentioned above, I think it will help our recruiting even more since the recruits know who is waiting in the background.

How does a 6'5" kid help us in rebounding? First everybody including you want a banger now you want a local kid who will play a 2/3 at least be consistent you can not mathematically have everybody.

Our team needs alot more than rebounding. Aside from KM, and probably CE, there are no locks on this team for next year. Getting 2 and 7 points from our 2 and 3 guards is not going to get us to the Tourney. Having a 5 shoot 1 of 6 from the FT line while getting pushed around won't either. Still, I have to believe the talent is there and we simply need more maturity, muscle and experience.

Our team needs alot more than rebounding. Aside from KM, and probably CE, there are no locks on this team for next year. Getting 2 and 7 points from our 2 and 3 guards is not going to get us to the Tourney. Having a 5 shoot 1 of 6 from the FT line while getting pushed around won't either. Still, I have to believe the talent is there and we simply need more maturity, muscle and experience.

First, keep PM. I think it might take an equivalent to SLU job to get him to jump. He knows RM's health is a ticking time bomb, and he is the associate head coach, so he may sit less than one heartbeat away from the big chair. Here are some other locks, KC (RM loves the kid and he's come a long way), WR (heck, he's being called an 11th pick for the NBA), CS (tough kid, needs to improve his shot), CR and JS are still frosh but showed signs. I'd agree beyond this core no one's guaranteed anything. And I watched this McLemore kid on that 6 minute video. We'd be lucky to have him at SLU. Right now though I just hope the mystery 3rd recruit is a big. WR needs help and playing 3 bigs at once seems to be RM's forte, see Utah.

there are a lot more people we know are coming back than that. Your statement was a little drastic.

Re-read my own post. See that I did not say but meant that only KM and CE are locks for "starters" next year. Yes, starting is for high school, and if so, then consider this for the top 5 guys to get the most minutes. With additional maturity, muscle and experience - which only comes with time - our current guys might be ready to be a legitimate Tourney team next year. Starting over with Freshmen is not always the answer, but then again, MM and possibly Loe are not not your typical Freshmen either.

I am certainly impressed by the development of guys like KC over these past 4 months. CS has had his moments this year and is only a Freshman. FJ has been injured nearly the entire season. BC needs additional strength and to fully recover from that lingering ankle injury. WR has been playing on what appears to be a bad knee but will really need to hit the weight room again and will need to learn how to shoot a FT.

If not, these guys will likely sit the bench more next year than this year.

Re-read my own post. See that I did not say but meant that only KM and CE are locks for "starters" next year. Yes, starting is for high school, and if so, then consider this for the top 5 guys to get the most minutes. With additional maturity, muscle and experience - which only comes with time - our current guys might be ready to be a legitimate Tourney team next year. Starting over with Freshmen is not always the answer, but then again, MM and possibly Loe are not not your typical Freshmen either.

I am certainly impressed by the development of guys like KC over these past 4 months. CS has had his moments this year and is only a Freshman. FJ has been injured nearly the entire season. BC needs additional strength and to fully recover from that lingering ankle injury. WR has been playing on what appears to be a bad knee but will really need to hit the weight room again and will need to learn how to shoot a FT.

If not, these guys will likely sit the bench more next year than this year.

I would say that Willie (we have already discussed this so I wont get back into it) and KC are also locks.

That makes more sense. I thought you meant only KM and CE are locks to return to the team, thus my comment. I think WR will be a starter.

I don't think KC has much to worry about. RM loves the way he plays. Savvy and careful with the ball. He's also becoming more aggressive. I'd guess some are thinking MM will take his spot. Maybe down the road, but even then maybe not. MM will be a backup for both KC, KM, and CS. And KM and KC could use some more rest during games.

I would say that Willie (we have already discussed this so I wont get back into it) and KC are also locks.

NH.

Again. Hope you are right. Let's just say that your confidence in WR is greater than mine. With a bad knee and not enough help elsewhere on this team, it's not fair to put all/too much of the blame on WR. At the same time, and I while I continue to be a WR fan, his return to single digit scoring, his tendency to pick up bad fouls, his complete lack of being able to shoot a FT and his lack of strength as is evident by the way he gets pushed around inside, I am not ready to call him a lock.

Also, EastSideJoe and I were two of the guys who stood up for KC early on when the result were just not really there. RM's patience and KC's heart is what has resulted in KC's improved play. While I hope and expect the same to continue, KC has become the invaluable assistant to KM for his ability to handle the ball/pressure and shoot the open outside shot. If all reports about MM's ability to do the same, if not possibly better, KC also is no lock.

NH.

Again. Hope you are right. Let's just say that your confidence in WR is greater than mine. With a bad knee and not enough help elsewhere on this team, it's not fair to put all/too much of the blame on WR. At the same time, and I while I continue to be a WR fan, his return to single digit scoring, his tendency to pick up bad fouls, his complete lack of being able to shoot a FT and his lack of strength as is evident by the way he gets pushed around inside, I am not ready to call him a lock.

Also, EastSideJoe and I were two of the guys who stood up for KC early on when the result were just not really there. RM's patience and KC's heart is what has resulted in KC's improved play. While I hope and expect the same to continue, KC has become the invaluable assistant to KM for his ability to handle the ball/pressure and shoot the open outside shot. If all reports about MM's ability to do the same, if not possibly better, KC also is no lock.

I just don't see anyone coming in that's going to boot WR from the starting lineup. I think our expectations are so high for WR that we forget just what we have in him (myself included). We are lucky to have WR (not directed at you Clock, just a comment in general).

Agree completely on KC. I'd like to think he is a lock, but I also like the thought of MM starting in KC's spot because that means MM is the real deal.

NH.

Willie returned to sometimes scoring in single digits when he started getting double-teamed. I dont know that he ever picked up dumb fouls as he was rarely in foul trouble and I dont know if it is fair to say he has a bad knee. His knee got a little banged up, but so did KM's eye. Does that mean he had a bad eye? no.

I think anytime you have a 6-10 post presence who made honorable mention all-conference (a top 18 player in conference) you should assume he is going to start. He has also proven to be a hard worker on and off the court.

Also, KC will be a junior next year with a complete grasp of what RM wants as well as having 3 inches on MM. I would bet good money both Willie and KC start next year. CS on the other hand, Im not so sure.

While on the subject of Recruiting, does anyone have any concrete info on LOE?

St. Mary's making the dance and us getting kicked in the schnuts by the lowly NIT has me a bit worried that if he were on the fence between the two of us it may have swayed their way. Total specualtion on my part. Does anyone know anything? Loe would at the very least make WR better because of practicing against someone bigger than him on a regular basis. At the best, who knows? He could become a real force.

We will all keep our fingers crossed about MM and DE. Hopefully these kids are as good as we hope they are.

as for McLemore, he looks like he could be the real deal. The thing that impressed me the most was his assists. It showed me he has real basketball knowledge. Also, from a highlight real--you don't get to see how many bad shots he took to get all of those buckets. Apparently by his stats, not too many though. Obviously many, probably most of those baskets don't happen at the D1 level with much bettr defenders on him. He certainly isn't going to drive the lane for a dunk or lay-up like he did with ease against kids that are 6 inches shorter than him--D1 he is the short one in the paint. Remember JJ averaged 27 points a game in High School--about 22 less than he averaged this year (much less minutes of course, but you see my point.) Again , though he looks like a real solid player and it would be awesome to have him, but it doesn't appear to be in the cards. If you had the opportunity to go to, UNC, KY or even a Louisville, would you go to SLU? I refuse to list KS, because...well that is a whole other issue) I don't think so. No use crying over spilled milk.

Willie returned to sometimes scoring in single digits when he started getting double-teamed. I dont know that he ever picked up dumb fouls as he was rarely in foul trouble and I dont know if it is fair to say he has a bad knee. His knee got a little banged up, but so did KM's eye. Does that mean he had a bad eye? no.

I think anytime you have a 6-10 post presence who made honorable mention all-conference (a top 18 player in conference) you should assume he is going to start. He has also proven to be a hard worker on and off the court.

Also, KC will be a junior next year with a complete grasp of what RM wants as well as having 3 inches on MM. I would bet good money both Willie and KC start next year. CS on the other hand, Im not so sure.

NH.

Normally, I would agree. WR is, by far, our best big this year. He may not be our best next year.

I know WR is your all-time favorite and that you must bristle regarding an negative comment about him; however, I do think it is fair to say he has a bad knee. I watched him play the last home game and he wore a knee brace and limped. Did you not notice it? I am not a physician nor have I read his medical file, but when a guy wears a knee brace , favors it and limps, I think it is fair to say he has a bad knee. I am not saying WR is a surgical candidate, that he will have a bad knee next year or that his career is in danger b/c of knee problems if that is what you are suggesting. Instead, I point it out as a partial explanation for his decreased point production and rebounds from earlier in the year.

KC will be a JR, will know RM's offense even more and will be 3" taller than MM. I agree as to that. I would bet, however, that MM will be able to dribble and protect the ball as well as or better than KC. As to knowing the offense, we all learned that RM's offense is something that RM's freshmen, including CE who arrived in January, can pick up and run. Saying that RM's offense is extremely hard to understand and master was really just code words for giving a break to guys like KL, TL and BE who struggled playing it. Will MM shoot it better? I don't know. KC really improved but was not exactly what I'd call a sharpshooter from the outside. What I do know, however, is that we will not be a Tourney team with 2 and 7 ppg from the 2 and 3 spots. And all of this is coming from a fan of KC.

I also know that CE is a fixture at the 4 and that his greatest strength will not be found in the paint next year. CE will get stronger and needs to improve his inside game but he won't remind anyone of Anthony Bonner on the inside next year. Without an inside force at the 4 spot, our 5 (WR) will need to be an even bigger force on the inside. Maybe CE can play the 3 some next year but he seems like a long way from that now.

When you have a guy on the all-freshman team and an honorable mention all-conference, unless you have some absolute studs (john wall/demarcus cousins) coming in, I think it is safe to pencil them in as starters. Show me the last time we had two players the level of WR or KC or CE that did not start.