An interesting thought about our Bigs!

Billikan

When you see Loe play, you may want him to redshirt.

Doowop,

I don't know if you were joking, but these statistics lead me to believe that there is no way in hell Loe would redshirt

Summary

Team G MIN PTS 2FGP 3FGP FT RO RD RT AS PF BS ST

New Zealand 4 123 75 24-41 18-29 7-11 10 18 28 10 10 5 12

AVERAGE

New Zealand 4 30.8 18.8 58.5% 62.1% 63.6% 2.5 4.5 7.0 2.5 2.5 1.3 3.0

Season: 2009 (World Championships U19)

Details

Date Team Against Team MIN PTS 2FGP 3FGP FT RO RD RT AS PF BS ST

7/2/2009 New Zealand Argentina 36 15 7-12 7-12 0-0 1 5 6 3 1 0 2

7/4/2009 New Zealand Kazakhstan 32 20 6-12 6-10 0-2 4 0 4 3 4 2 2

7/6/2009 New Zealand Syria 34 25 7-10 4-6 3-4 1 8 9 4 1 2 4

7/7/2009 New Zealand Angola 21 15 4-7 1-1 4-5 4 5 9 0 4 1 4

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably wishful thinking, but it would great if we could land Loe and then redshirt both of them. Remekun could get that the redshirt year he was supposed to get this year and Smith could use it to work on becoming a 3.

Smith will never be a 3, but he could use the year to develope some offensive skills. He seems to lack a jump shot of any kind. He could use a jump shot and a hook to give him a little offensive presence.

Probably another blunder of Comcast Spectacor, the company which runs Chafeitz Arena.

Did any of you see the boxing matches held at Chafeitz a few months ago when they forgot to have spit buckets and stools ringside for the fighters!??! Both fighters were standing between rounds! Even worse, one of the fighters didn't receive a pre-fight wakeup call and he arrived an hour late for his fight.

So I guess on the brightside, we didnt have basketballs for warm-ups but the players had seats during the game.

I doubt they are in charge of that, however, looking at their track record I wouldn't be surprised...have you heard the speakers in that place? They sound like the ones I had for my Emerson stereo in 1996 with the record and tape player built in. I'm sure you know some folks over there BackHand, rip them a new one. Actually, it may be a blessing in disguise...not hearing Guy's voice clearly is always a cause for celebration

I doubt they are in charge of that, however, looking at their track record I wouldn't be surprised...have you heard the speakers in that place? They sound like the ones I had for my Emerson stereo in 1996 with the record and tape player built in. I'm sure you know some folks over there BackHand, rip them a new one. Actually, it may be a blessing in disguise...not hearing Guy's voice clearly is always a cause for celebration

I do know some people over there, I will relay the message. Those joksters are about as reliable as KC knocking down an open jump shot. haha how could they have forgotten the corner seats for the boxers!?!?! HILARIOUS to see the boxers walk to their corner after round 1 only to have to stand.....I guess they wont be running the Pacman/ Mayweather fight.

A red shirted player still counts against your 13 - so there is little reason to red shirt either one of the them next year.

Because the 11th, 12th, and 13th players off the bench log so much time on the court?

I think the 11th, 12th, and 13th players will work out better if they are in the starting 5 during their 4th and 5th years.

Smith will never be a 3, but he could use the year to develope some offensive skills. He seems to lack a jump shot of any kind. He could use a jump shot and a hook to give him a little offensive presence.

You may be right, but at least when Majerus signed him, he saw the potential for a more versatile player... "He is a Paul Pressey-type (former NBA player whom Majerus, with Don Nelson, coached on Dream Team II) of player. Jon is a cerebral young man. We feel he can defend any position one through four and is an outstanding rebounder. When Jon concentrates on his outside shooting and ball handling, he can be the complete package at 6-foot-7."

I also said the 3, because that appears to be an area where somebody down the road could step up and gain some playing time. If nothing else, a redshirt year would allow Smith to get stronger and as Majerus said, concentrate on his outside shooting and ballhandling.

The problem with all of you who are saying we should red shirt a player in his sophomore year is that I doubt he would want to red shirt after playing in his freshman year and second RM has repeatedly said that he wants a full roster if only for practicing purposes. This Loe situation is problematic as it applies to our current roster and incoming players - somebody would have to go and I just don't see any of those who are currently playing leaving at least not now - that is why I raised the question about Reid and his situation.

The problem with all of you who are saying we should red shirt a player in his sophomore year is that I doubt he would want to red shirt after playing in his freshman year and second RM has repeatedly said that he wants a full roster if only for practicing purposes. This Loe situation is problematic as it applies to our current roster and incoming players - somebody would have to go and I just don't see any of those who are currently playing leaving at least not now - that is why I raised the question about Reid and his situation.

redshirting does not exclude a player from practicing only playing games.

Good point - I forgot that. But still, I doubt any player who actually played in their freshman year would be interested in red shirting as a sophomore unless it was a medical issue.

Kansas had a healthy sophomore and senior redshirt this year. It is not that common, but also not unheard of. In Corey's case, the original plan was to have him redshirt if Cody were playing from the start of the season. I don't think it is a stretch to think that now that Cody would be here at the start of next season, that Corey might want to go ahead and take that redshirt year. It allows him to be in a different class than Cody and get further away from Brian/Willie, which would allow him to more opportunity to play down the line. Corey is also young for his class.

Kansas had a healthy sophomore and senior redshirt this year. It is not that common, but also not unheard of. In Corey's case, the original plan was to have him redshirt if Cody were playing from the start of the season. I don't think it is a stretch to think that now that Cody would be here at the start of next season, that Corey might want to go ahead and take that redshirt year. It allows him to be in a different class than Cody and get further away from Brian/Willie, which would allow him to more opportunity to play down the line. Corey is also young for his class.

If Im cory, Im saying, "Hey, hes the new guy, why wouldnt he redshirt. Im the one whos been busting my butt, Im not gonna let him come in here and take my spot!"

Ace, you give a very rational point of view on this topic but as NH points out people don't always take a rational point of view when it comes to themselves. I agree, while red shirting after your freshman year is not very common it can happen. When we become KS then I will be able to see the logic behind a kid willing to do this but for now a kid who is willing to red shirt after his freshman year not due to injury is simply shades of Dustin M. Corey has improved immensely this year and I would think he will be even a bigger presence next year on the court. Besides, from what we are told, he is a very good student who may very well not need to stay in school a fifth year - I know he could go to grad school but I really think he is the type of kid who really would rather just play then sit.

Ace, you give a very rational point of view on this topic but as NH points out people don't always take a rational point of view when it comes to themselves. I agree, while red shirting after your freshman year is not very common it can happen. When we become KS then I will be able to see the logic behind a kid willing to do this but for now a kid who is willing to red shirt after his freshman year not due to injury is simply shades of Dustin M. Corey has improved immensely this year and I would think he will be even a bigger presence next year on the court. Besides, from what we are told, he is a very good student who may very well not need to stay in school a fifth year - I know he could go to grad school but I really think he is the type of kid who really would rather just play then sit.

I certainly have no clue what Rick's intentions are, but if Rick really wanted CR or JS to redshirt, then my guess is they'll redshirt.

While Rick's always been pretty consistent in suggesting a player is always given the final option, if it is made pretty clear to CR or JS that they will get minimal playing time over the next two years and there is long-term benefit for them, they might be more willing to make a "rational" choice.

I'm not sure how one can expect Corey or Smith to play more next year unless we move to playing 3 bigs at a time. Ellis will certainly be taking away minutes from CR and JS. If we are lucky enough to land Loe, that situation will get even worse for those two.

There are lots of reasons redshirting could make sense for either of them on a personal level:

1) college is fun. If somebody had been willing to pay for a 5th year for me you'd better believe I would have done it.

2) all players want to play. It pretty obvious they'll have a better chance to play meaningful minutes after Willie and Brian graduate.

3) Corey came to SLU already planning on a redshirt. This shouldn't be a foreign concept to him.

4) I have no idea if either plan to graduate in 4 years or not. If the plan is already 5 years, this makes perfect sense. If the plan is 4 years and someone wants to pay for a year of grad school, well that is a great deal too.

I'm not sure how one can expect Corey or Smith to play more next year unless we move to playing 3 bigs at a time. Ellis will certainly be taking away minutes from CR and JS. If we are lucky enough to land Loe, that situation will get even worse for those two.

There are lots of reasons redshirting could make sense for either of them on a personal level:

1) college is fun. If somebody had been willing to pay for a 5th year for me you'd better believe I would have done it.

2) all players want to play. It pretty obvious they'll have a better chance to play meaningful minutes after Willie and Brian graduate.

3) Corey came to SLU already planning on a redshirt. This shouldn't be a foreign concept to him.

4) I have no idea if either plan to graduate in 4 years or not. If the plan is already 5 years, this makes perfect sense. If the plan is 4 years and someone wants to pay for a year of grad school, well that is a great deal too.

Time will tell.

-i agree with cheese on time will tell

-or something will happen to work this through

-on your #2 i hope we keep recruiting better and better so that this isn't a given

• 2 weeks later...

Smith will never be a 3,

Ramsey and Porter Moser talked about this after the game. Smith already played some 3 Saturday and even more last night. He's got a lot to work on, but the fact that they are giving him minutes at the 3 already, clearly shows that he has a future there.

Ramsey and Porter Moser talked about this after the game. Smith already played some 3 Saturday and even more last night. He's got a lot to work on, but the fact that they are giving him minutes at the 3 already, clearly shows that he has a future there.

All of a sudden our depth has become unbelievable for a Billiken team and will be even stronger next year. I know Anderson at Missouri plays 12 with his hectic style,but can RM keep everybody happy with our more deliberate style? This is a good problem as long as the coaches can keep egos in check. Porter went out of his way on the post game show to praise Brian for his cheerleading as his time has been cut. Something to watch.

All of a sudden our depth has become unbelievable for a Billiken team and will be even stronger next year. I know Anderson at Missouri plays 12 with his hectic style,but can RM keep everybody happy with our more deliberate style? This is a good problem as long as the coaches can keep egos in check. Porter went out of his way on the post game show to praise Brian for his cheerleading as his time has been cut. Something to watch.

I get the feeling BC's quite comfortable at SLU. Yeah, CE is going to cut into his time some. But I think it was all about matchups last night. DU had some quick bigs more to J. Smith's strength than BC's.

I think our depth is a big reason why we won the game last night. By the OTs, the Dukes looked far more tired than we did. Willie looked fairly fresh in comparison, which is a likely byproduct of him only getting 27 minutes in a 2OT game.

Keeping everyone happy will be a challenge, but it's a good one to have.

I get the feeling BC's quite comfortable at SLU. Yeah, CE is going to cut into his time some. But I think it was all about matchups last night. DU had some quick bigs more to J. Smith's strength than BC's.

Agreed. I actually thought both BC and CE had some trouble guarding their bigs, so it made sense that you play CE more because he brings more to the table offensively.