RM on 590

moytoy12

-here is a hope, but this seems to be the day for hope coming true....cody plays right away, struggles a bit out of the gate but school doesn't start until jan 11 (damn that seems early, why this yr of all years??) so there is extra practice time and eventually it clicks for him, KC and Jeff Reid gets healthy and we win our last 7-8 conference games and then win the a10 tourney get a 10 seed, play in milwaukee and then win the midwest regional at teh edward jones dome to go to the final 4

-here is a hope, but this seems to be the day for hope coming true....cody plays right away, struggles a bit out of the gate but school doesn't start until jan 11 (damn that seems early, why this yr of all years??) so there is extra practice time and eventually it clicks for him, KC and Jeff Reid gets healthy and we win our last 7-8 conference games and then win the a10 tourney get a 10 seed, play in milwaukee and then win the midwest regional at teh edward jones dome to go to the final 4

That's the optimism I love to see! I've also already convinced myself about how much Cody will change the team. And add McCall next year ....

But semi-seriously, if Cody plays, and is in decent shap, he will take a lot a heat off of Willie. And if you can't triple Willie like Mo State did, then he's an absolute beast.

Sometimes these visa issues can take time. Department of Homeland Security must scrutinize every visa. This could be a snag I heard Cody Ellis' full name is Cody Bin-Laden Ellis.

True story a dude once complained to me that his green card name check was taking forever. I asked him what his name was he replied, "Muhammed Hussein" I said, "well that one could take a while be patient."

I think he'll end up playing and I want him to. Also think he'll be starting before long, as well. No knock on BC, but those roles will be better for both, I think. I'd assume that CE will be more of a rhythm player, whereas you'll just pop BC in there whenever you want some instant smashmouth action.

CODY ELLIS IS HERE. HOLY CRAP. PRAISE JEEBUS.

GO BILLS.

I think he'll end up playing and I want him to. Also think he'll be starting before long, as well. No knock on BC, but those roles will be better for both, I think. I'd assume that CE will be more of a rhythm player, whereas you'll just pop BC in there whenever you want some instant smashmouth action.

CODY ELLIS IS HERE. HOLY CRAP. PRAISE JEEBUS.

GO BILLS.

I also think that at times you could play Willie, Brian and Cody for a very big front line. Cody can shoot the 3 and handle the outside game and post up. This will be big for Willie because they will not be able to double and triple team him with KM and Cody in the lineup. Brian may get more offensive rebounds and have a few more open layups as they try to defend the big 3. CS will be more open as well. Add McCall to the mix as a potential great shooter and our big center from NZ (I am on a real roll now!) and this team will be ready to compete with almost any team in the country!!!!!!!!

I think if he can hit the ground running by conference time, we play him. There's no question this kid will play professionally at some point. Although for a big, that extra year w/ Majerus might make the difference between the NBA and the Australian leagues. Hard to say. Selfishly, I want him to play. From an excitement standpoint, he might want to play. If he's in decent shape right now, I think Majerus will want him to play. We'll have to see.

I'd rather he redshirt and have four years of eligibility beginning next year. And it would help balance out the classes somewhat.

We'll certainly be better off right out of the gate next year if he does play the remainder of this season.

I think it makes sense all around for him to play right away. He's been out of competition since this summer and if he red shirts he won't play competitively for 16 months and I wouldn't think that would be good for him personally.

The time he would see this season would be against a higher level of competition than he would have seen by playing earlier in the non-conference schedule and that should prepare him good for next year.

There certainly good be an argument made for him red shirting but with the time he would have out of game competition, I just don't that would be the way to go.

From a team perspective, no question he needs to play as soon as he can. This teams needs another big and if he can stretch the opponent's defense to the perimeter, it will free up Willie more inside. Having some games under his belt will do wonders for him when it comes time to the start of next season. KM and WR in their junior seasons and CE with some experience under his belt will do the team wonders.

RM just said that CE will be the level of KM and WR. I don't know if he meant that he would be immediately or what. I thought Jensen said CE would step in and be the best player on the team.

IF CE is just at the level of KM and WR, then this team is still going to be something special at some point.

I don't think Ellis's redshirtting would hamper his development for next season at all.

I also think that at times you could play Willie, Brian and Cody for a very big front line. Cody can shoot the 3 and handle the outside game and post up. This will be big for Willie because they will not be able to double and triple team him with KM and Cody in the lineup. Brian may get more offensive rebounds and have a few more open layups as they try to defend the big 3. CS will be more open as well. Add McCall to the mix as a potential great shooter and our big center from NZ (I am on a real roll now!) and this team will be ready to compete with almost any team in the country!!!!!!!!

The biggest thing for me here isnt even that its Cody Ellis arriving on campus. Its that a body who can take some pressure on willie is coming... Willie can literally sit in the paint and as he puts it "just trying to dunk the ball every single time"

Don't be content with just GOING to the Final 4. I want to win it!

I call your delusional optimism and raise you all in: :lol:

Screw that! We're winning the next 4 championships. And then 6 more within a decade! I hope RM has a good John Wooden impression. '70s UCLA status here we come!! B)

Ian was suspended 10 games by the NCAA because he had played in some league that included pro players, thus he missed the first 10 games.

Izik Ohanon missed the first 8 games or so for a similar reason.

Didn't Izik lose a season and 8 games?

Didn't Izik lose a season and 8 games?

Ohanon "lost" a season because of his age (which was because of his tour of duty in the Israeli military). Because of NCAA rules, Ohanon was a sophomore (in eligibility) the minute he set foot on campus, but he did play immediately, sans the eight-game suspension because of playing with pros in Israel.

Sometimes these visa issues can take time. Department of Homeland Security must scrutinize every visa. This could be a snag I heard Cody Ellis' full name is Cody Bin-Laden Ellis.

True story a dude once complained to me that his green card name check was taking forever. I asked him what his name was he replied, "Muhammed Hussein" I said, "well that one could take a while be patient."

The chair of the Slu econ department is named Muhammad Islam.

This reminds me of the Justin Tatum ordeal. We had to wait out for the longest time before he was finally eligible. A lot of people thought he would be our savior at power forward. He gained his eligibilty 2nd semester and I think his first game was Illinois at the Dome. He played very well for sitting out a year and a half and very little practice time. He even took the last shot for the win, but missed. Spoon was pissed at the rest of the team for expecting Justin to win it for them when was almost fresh off the street. He was decent, but never lived up to the built up expectations. Hopefully Ellis will. Even if he doesn't another big body is going to help.

This reminds me of the Justin Tatum ordeal. We had to wait out for the longest time before he was finally eligible. A lot of people thought he would be our savior at power forward. He gained his eligibilty 2nd semester and I think his first game was Illinois at the Dome. He played very well for sitting out a year and a half and very little practice time. He even took the last shot for the win, but missed. Spoon was pissed at the rest of the team for expecting Justin to win it for them when was almost fresh off the street. He was decent, but never lived up to the built up expectations. Hopefully Ellis will. Even if he doesn't another big body is going to help.

Your memory is off.

Justin Tatum was a Prop 48 (or 42 or something or other). He was ineligible as a freshman and initially enrolled in a prep school in an effort to gain eligibility (I'm not 100% sure on that part). But he never did and enrolled at SLU for the second semester of the '97-'98 season. He had to sit out a full year, so he didn't become eligible to play until mid-December 1998, which was his sophomore year.

SLU played Illinois in the Dome in December 1997, when Hughes was here, and they won that game. The next year the Bills played in Champaign, and that might have been the first game Tatum played in, and I think it was also the first game for Justin Love, who'd been hurt since before the season began. Are you sure people were counting on Tatum, not Love, to hit the winning shot?