A few updates on Ellis and Loe

dneuner

as I stated, no system is fool proof, and there are obviously exceptions to every rule

But Understand junior summer the star rating system on sites like scout.com become pretty legit, by time kids are seniors alot goes in from senior advanced scouting personel to rate kids

a

I guess thats why Greg Paulus was a lottery pick and a top guard the NBA now. He was the number 1 PG in the class of 05.

The system is biased. The rankings can fluctuate based upon where someone signs.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Majerus had a Q&A with students tonight. Only two new pieces of information (from all the conversations I've had with him) came out of it, and I thought I'd share them here.

1. Ellis is .05 points away from being cleared, but the NCAA is holding him back. Majerus does not think highly of the NCAA or the situation, and does not know if the issue will be resolved by the start of the next semester. I assume the answer to the school today or Friday was no and the school is now appealing.

2. Majerus acknowledged that a recruit (a big as he said) had visited. He thought the visit went well. He did say that the recruit was going to visit other schools. Since we all know that Loe was visiting, we can do some deductions here. I know Loe had been recruited initially by UK, but has narrowed it to three schools: SLU, Pitt, and Colorado. So the waiting game begins on that..

Also, as a note... Majerus noted that he has no scholarships for 2011, and has already shifted towards recruiting for 2012. He said he can tell you right now the top 12 recruits of that class and he's been in touch with every one. He also said that two assistants were out recruiting right now, and Al Jensen was leaving tomorrow to recruit (was going to make it hard to practice, according to RickMa).

Majerus also said he did realize that some players may leave the program, and he hoped to have all the scholarships full and have two walk-ons next year to fill that void, should it happen. He did not name names but just simply said some people aren't made for his style of ball and if they can't show the level of play he's expecting, he may encourage them to go elsewhere.

So there you go.

great post dnuener! that is exactly what this board is about. thanks a lot.

Guest BillikenReport

If you want more information on Loe, there's a story on my site.

I interviewed him after the game on Saturday night. I included what he had to say about the Billikens and the list of schools he's going to visit.

Relphorde wasn't cut. He chose to leave, plain and simple.

rickma: "marcus, if you want to play at slu you are going to have to play power forward or you just arent going to play."

marcus: "didnt you just recruit a power forward from oregon who was player of the year in oregon?"

rickma: "yeah, conklin is a beast. the kid plays hard and just loves the hard stuff under boards"

marcus: "didnt you just recruit a nearly seven footer from somewhere in southern illinois?"

rickma: yeah brett thompson is a big body. probably too big. if he tones up and slims down as good of an outside shooter as he is he is going to be a tough matchup at power forward for anyone."

marcus: "didnt you just recruit a high flyer power forward from kansas city?"

rickma: "willie reed is an unbeleiveable athlete. he can put a dollar bill on the top of the backboard and take his change in quarters in one jump. he has a lot to learn about basketball and i wish he was stronger, but by the time he leaves he might be the greatest billiken inside player ever he is that much of a raw talent."

marcus: "but i cant play the wing where i am more comfortable even though both kevin and tommie will only be here for one more year?"

rickma: "nope, i see you best suited to playing inside or else you might as well move on. but that is your decision."

marcus: "thanks for the heads up. did i tell you i am learning to ski?"

rickma: "marcus, if you want to play at slu you are going to have to play power forward or you just arent going to play."

marcus: "didnt you just recruit a power forward from oregon who was player of the year in oregon?"

rickma: "yeah, conklin is a beast. the kid plays hard and just loves the hard stuff under boards"

marcus: "didnt you just recruit a nearly seven footer from somewhere in southern illinois?"

rickma: yeah brett thompson is a big body. probably too big. if he tones up and slims down as good of an outside shooter as he is he is going to be a tough matchup at power forward for anyone."

rickma: "willie reed is an unbeleiveable athlete. he can put a dollar bill on the top of the backboard and take his change in quarters in one jump. he has a lot to learn about basketball and i wish he was stronger, but by the time he leaves he might be the greatest billiken inside player ever he is that much of a raw talent."

marcus: "but i cant play the wing where i am more comfortable even though both kevin and tommie will only be here for one more year?"

rickma: "nope, i see you best suited to playing inside or else you might as well move on. but that is your decision."

except for Willie Reed and Brett aren't PF's.

How far do you have to stretch reality to dog RM? and seriously, why?

except for Willie Reed and Brett aren't PF's.

How far do you have to stretch reality to dog RM? and seriously, why?

skip slu doesnt play a conventional center. there is no single post offense. rickma even announces reed as a forward prior to the game.

not dogging as much as telling the truth imo. do you really think if relephorde would have gotten to play the wing as he is in colorado he would have left? from day one he never got that chance at slu. it was power forward or nothing.

not dogging as much as telling the truth imo. do you really think if relephorde would have gotten to play the wing as he is in colorado he would have left? from day one he never got that chance at slu. it was power forward or nothing.

This coach was hired to run this program. It is not part of the job description to let the players dictate where they play. The guy could have showed some stones and played his way into the lineup, but chose not to do so. Good for him in Colorado. Doubt they do much there.

skip slu doesnt play a conventional center. there is no single post offense. rickma even announces reed as a forward prior to the game.

no, its dogging. You don't miss a beat. You jump at any chance to say something negative even if you have to stretch reality to do so.

It doesn't matter what I think, it's what Rick thinks that counts. I've said numerous times that I thought MR was more suited for the wing. But in the end I get it that RM didn't think he was capable of being a wing player for him and he told him and MR decided to leave. There will be more players that don't end up being the player RM thought or they thought they would be under him and they'll leave. Do I agree 100% with this strategy, no. However, it is the reality of college basketball and my problem as I've stated numerous times isn't with RM telling them they aren't good enough to play and they should leave, it's with the idiotic unfair NCAA policy.

Well, I guess now that we are imagining conversations between SLU coaches and former players, I will play along...

Sodie: Dustin, I know you have very few if any other Division I offers, but that's ok. You are my kind of player. Ready to sign up?

Dusin: OK, I'll sign up. Can you assure me that I will at least play ahead of a walk on?

Sodie: (Silence)

Sodie: Anthony, I know it seems you have no other Division I offers, but do you want to come to SLU? It's late in the recruiting season and as usual, I really have no other alternatives. Even if I sign you up, I still can "save" a few scholarships, which I like to do. What do you say?

Anthony Mitchell: Sign me up. If all goes well, maybe I'll be good enough for SIU-E someday.

Sodie: Horace, once again it is very late in the recruiting process. There is not much left and I am scrambling as usual. I know you have a questionable academic background and may struggle at SLU, but still, since I have saved so many scholarships, I gotta use at least one of them. Want to sign up?

Horace: Why not. Hopefully I can make it through a semester.

Sodie: Obi, I know your knee is a mess and you won't be able to play for a long time, even though we desperately need a big who can play right NOW, do you want to sign up? Doesn't matter that you have a questionable work ethic.

Obi: Sign me up!

"It was power forward or nothing." BRoy, you act like its a bad thing that RM won't let his players dictate how he coaches. I guess that's why you were ok with BS promising the Liddells that Tommie would play point (and eventually renigging on that promise). I would much rather have a coach with a system that he knows how to run and who will tell it like it is.

Ace - Actually, what's funny about your hypothetical conversation between Soderberg and Maguire in reality went more like this:

Sodie: Dustin, I know you have no other Division 1 offers, but that's ok. You are my kind of player. Ready to sign up?

Dustin: OK, I'll sign up. But can you assure me you will never try to recruit another player to play my position?

Sodie: Sure.

Dustin wasn't a guy who we were taking a chance on. We were relying on him to be our guy as a small forward/shooting guard. And then we aren't even willing to play him during a real game situation. Instead, we have walk-ons on the floor.

Roy is going to twist everything to make RM look bad and BS look good. You just have to accept it. Marcus Relphorde is doing well at Colorado. Averaging 9 points per game. Looks like he's still a bit soft since he's only grabbing 2 rebounds per game. Maybe RM made a mistake by telling him he thought he was a power forward. Maybe Relphorde made a mistake by not listening to a great coach. Roy implies that because RM was bringing in bodies, Relphorde had no choice but to leave. But, had he listened to Rick maybe he'd be the first big man off the bench here. We will never know.

Disappointing that you would write this kind of crap. It does not take much for you to get back on your agenda.

You are better than that. Let it go. Move on.

"It was power forward or nothing." BRoy, you act like its a bad thing that RM won't let his players dictate how he coaches. I guess that's why you were ok with BS promising the Liddells that Tommie would play point (and eventually renigging on that promise). I would much rather have a coach with a system that he knows how to run and who will tell it like it is.

Ace - Actually, what's funny about your hypothetical conversation between Soderberg and Maguire in reality went more like this:

Sodie: Dustin, I know you have no other Division 1 offers, but that's ok. You are my kind of player. Ready to sign up?

Dustin: OK, I'll sign up. But can you assure me you will never try to recruit another player to play my position?

Sodie: Sure.

Dustin wasn't a guy who we were taking a chance on. We were relying on him to be our guy as a small forward/shooting guard. And then we aren't even willing to play him during a real game situation. Instead, we have walk-ons on the floor.

Roy is going to twist everything to make RM look bad and BS look good. You just have to accept it. Marcus Relphorde is doing well at Colorado. Averaging 9 points per game. Looks like he's still a bit soft since he's only grabbing 2 rebounds per game. Maybe RM made a mistake by telling him he thought he was a power forward. Maybe Relphorde made a mistake by not listening to a great coach. Roy implies that because RM was bringing in bodies, Relphorde had no choice but to leave. But, had he listened to Rick maybe he'd be the first big man off the bench here. We will never know.

Or maybe he'd have taken the coaches thoughts to heart and really worked hard to shore up the inside portion of his game and become a good rebounder and interior defender and an offensive player at the 4 that could play like a point forward utilizing his perimiter skills and vision to become a real force as a player which may be exactly what RM envisioned.

......and back to the Loe discussion.

He'd be a HUGE get. He is already everything we thought BT could be...but like 10 times better at it.

Oh, and yes, his brother goes to Arizona. He is taking an Unofficial there in the next week.

Agree.

This is more like what I was hoping & expecting from RM... recruiting some BIG men of note.

We get Ellis and then this guy and we are on schedule!

is this Loe kid for next year bro?

talk about a funky list, Slu colorado or Kentucky, something tells me I know where he will end up but maybie rick ma will impress the rents

at any rate, I love coach going after and catching the eyes of big time recruits.

how many stars is this kid?

hopefully all the idiots in the fan section that heckle the opposing bench all game(only one or two out of line) didn't turn his parents off

Not Kentucky but Pitt.

You might be right that this type of conversation took place but what is wrong with that? He told the kid he can stay and told him where he best thought he would help the team - coaches have the right to play kids at positions they believe are best for the team, that is what coaches are suppose to do. Sounds like it worked out best for both.

Disappointing that you would write this kind of crap. It does not take much for you to get back on your agenda.

You are better than that. Let it go. Move on.

Actually, Roy isn't better than that...He has demonstrated a consistent pattern of ripping RM at every opportunity. To be blunt, he has become nothing more than a troll.