Pathetic turnout

slulaw09

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were disappointed Sunday be ready to be pissed off on Tuesday. Most students are going to be gone on Thanksgiving break.

It cant be much worse, I sat in the student section for the second half yesterday and I was very impressed with the students who were there, but there were only about 20 kids. I had fun though and am thinking about sitting there again on tuesday.

Yesterday was almost too beautiful outside to watch any sporting event inside. That being said I was there, but it took everything I had not to hit the links.

I just thought it odd to have a Sunday game at 1:00pm. Didn't realize the Blues were playing but the Rams were hosting Kurt Warner's Cards, and sure he still has fans in the area. Also, a lot of out of town students may have decided to watch their favorite NFL teams at Sportsbars, Dorms, etc. It's getting to be crunch time in the NFL, and if you're a SLU student from say Wisc, NY, SF and an NFL fan, what would you rather see, SLU vs Judge Kennesaw Landis State or the Packers vs Niners in a game w/ playoff implications? Don't understand why this wasn't a Saturday night game.

I would challenge your contention that attendance was better at the Scott Trade - you have to compare the last years of BS and the first year of RM with what is happening now at the new arena.

Just out of curiosity, what's the new arena sound like when there's 5,000 or so. Still got to be a hell of a lot louder with a better atmosphere than Scott.

Just out of curiosity, what's the new arena sound like when there's 5,000 or so. Still got to be a hell of a lot louder with a better atmosphere than Scott.

First of all, there was 6500 at the game not 5K so lets not understate the attendance. In fact I doubt in the two years that there has ever only been 5K for a men's game. The building makes for a good viewing and fan participation - it is not the size of the crowd but how involved the crowd gets. The crowds thus far have been getting more and more involved.

true hardcore fans plan their lives around the billiken game schedule and other team events to support the program knowing that sometimes work or family or health gets in the way along with the occassional "must see tv" schedule :P

i agree cowboy. my statement was somewhat over the top, however, sleep and football on tv wouldnt qualify though.

the difference cant even be comprehended. i wasnt the most keen "hey let's build a smaller venue" guy when it was first proposed, but i have come to love and appreciate everything about chaifetz. and the coziness is undoubtedly the number one attribute imo. even yesterday's meager crowd seemed ok but i shudder to think how pitiful it would have been in an arena twice the size.

Nonetheless, I had some old fart (and, at my current age, I could probably qualify for that title) in front of me mumbling to his seatmates that I needed to calm down -- I yelled at the Bills numerous times to wake up; I screamed when one of the collision fouls on them wasn't called after they'd called touch fouls on us; and I yelled profusely on the sequence when we lost the ball, KSU got enough control to push it back across center court, we stole it back and we didn't get a time clock reset (although we did get a bucket +1, so all was well that ended well).

I'm losing patience for anyone in a season ticket section who gets annoyed at enthusiasm, rowdiness, etc. If the guy says anything else, even it it's not addressed at me, I'm going to politely suggest that if he doesn't want to come to games and hear fans yelling, perhaps he shouldn't come to games at all. (PS: No obscenities; not even any personal attacks on the refs or their mothers.)

I left midway through the second half and headed down to the dome for the rams game.

I never have the oppurtunity to go to Rams games so for me it was a no brainer.

Im sure alot of Bills fans are in the same boat in that they attend almost every Bills game so missing on doesnt seem like a big deal.

I left midway through the second half and headed down to the dome for the rams game.

Im sure alot of Bills fans are in the same boat in that they attend almost every Bills game so missing on doesnt seem like a big deal.

Shame on you, Father Biondi. :P

Nonetheless, I had some old fart (and, at my current age, I could probably qualify for that title) in front of me mumbling to his seatmates that I needed to calm down -- I yelled at the Bills numerous times to wake up; I screamed when one of the collision fouls on them wasn't called after they'd called touch fouls on us; and I yelled profusely on the sequence when we lost the ball, KSU got enough control to push it back across center court, we stole it back and we didn't get a time clock reset (although we did get a bucket +1, so all was well that ended well).

I'm losing patience for anyone in a season ticket section who gets annoyed at enthusiasm, rowdiness, etc. If the guy says anything else, even it it's not addressed at me, I'm going to politely suggest that if he doesn't want to come to games and hear fans yelling, perhaps he shouldn't come to games at all. (PS: No obscenities; not even any personal attacks on the refs or their mothers.)

-as long as you are not screaming "get it over" with 6 seconds gone in the 10 second count when the ball is at the hash you should be ok to kick anyone's ass that is not showing enthusiasm

As it turns out, the better move would have been to stay for the entire Bills game. The first half of the Rams game was BRUTAL.

i too have no patience for those in the stands that complain about acts of enthusiasm for fans. i admit i dont get up and scream and holler as much as one can (except to team with skip on monitoring referees) but i definitely would not admonish anyone else that wants to be excited. good for them. i in fact enjoy the activity hell i am next to the band and purposely wanted to be there for that reason. that excitement to me is fun to watch.

what i got going on is a couple of newbies next to me that are obvious casual fans that think they know the story it is driving me crazy. some of their "observations" are so far out there and wrong. i would kill to trade them for a standing screaming bonwich.

i too have no patience for those in the stands that complain about acts of enthusiasm for fans. i admit i dont get up and scream and holler as much as one can (except to team with skip on monitoring referees) but i definitely would not admonish anyone else that wants to be excited. good for them. i in fact enjoy the activity hell i am next to the band and purposely wanted to be there for that reason. that excitement to me is fun to watch.

what i got going on is a couple of newbies next to me that are obvious casual fans that think they know the story it is driving me crazy. some of their "observations" are so far out there and wrong. i would kill to trade them for a standing screaming bonwich.

That's why when the arena opened, I proposed that we all get seats in the same section. It would have been like a second student section full of crazy old farts!

Mizzou is on Fall Break which explains the weak turnout in Columbia. Mizzou would have had a few thousand students if it were a usual weekend game. The SLU student section of about 50 is inexcusable.

Wow, 5,700 for Mizzou :lol: That really is pathetic. I guess their Cinderella season last year hasn't boosted attendance. Oh well, they don't need to play us. They seem to be content with that type of attendance for nonconference games.

After having season tickets for three years, I decided not to re-up this year for a few reasons, so I wasn't there. That being said, I took my two young kids to the Rams game yesterday- my first trip to the dome since about a month after 9/11/01. What a bore. Billiken basketball is MUCH more exciting, much more fun for a sports fan and much better to entertain children.

I am mystified at the popularity of the ponderous sport of the NFL vs. the excellent value of NCAA hoops. GO Bills.

After having season tickets for three years, I decided not to re-up this year for a few reasons, so I wasn't there. That being said, I took my two young kids to the Rams game yesterday- my first trip to the dome since about a month after 9/11/01. What a bore. Billiken basketball is MUCH more exciting, much more fun for a sports fan and much better to entertain children.

I am mystified at the popularity of the ponderous sport of the NFL vs. the excellent value of NCAA hoops. GO Bills.

Yesterday's Rams game stunk, but the atmosphere at the dome the week before for the Saints game was awesome.

That said, SLU games are much better for kids and a really great value even still.

I think we're going to get more people in the seats in the next few weeks. KSDK did a whole profile on Cassity last night in Sports Plus, showed highlights during the 5 and 10pm news, so that helps. Also, if we win against MVS, it'll be the first time in 10 years that the Bills have started 4-0. That can't hurt. I know SLU's also got some good promotions coming up to help fill seats over Christmas when the students are gone, so I'm pretty optimistic that we'll have good attendance in December.