Big Time or Big House?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11990995

Programs not bailing on recruit who could face jailing

July 27, 2009

By Gary Parrish

CBSSports.com Senior Writer

LAS VEGAS -- A year ago at this time, Anthony DiLoreto was signed with Cal Poly and scheduled to enroll at the Big West Conference School. But then the Minnesota native was charged with robbery of a financial institution and possession of a short-barreled rifle for his alleged role in a bank heist, and you are going to be surprised by this column if you think that was the end of his basketball career.

It was not the end.

It was the launching pad, believe it or not.

Anthony DiLoreto is getting increased attention despite off-court issues. (Provided to CBSSports.com)

"Saint Louis has offered," DiLoreto told me after he helped a summer basketball team called Net Gain Sports to a win in the Adidas Super 64 tournament this weekend. "There's some Big Ten, some West Coast Conference schools [also showing interest]."

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The kid Garcia from Louisville had a brother murdered in a gang-related shooting in NYC -- sometimes you need to remove a kid from situations like that and then watch him blossom. He had no problems (reported, anyway) for Pitino at U of L, which for him was a million miles removed from the dangers of his housing project. The kid is from "Sin City" and if you get him away from Vegas and under a guy like Majerus and Moser, you never know. We can't be the judge and jury on this kid. We all make mistakes and if you look at the recent pro players making mistakes and paying minimal sentences (Dante Stallworth, Antonio Pierce, Plax Burress), this kid shouldn't have to pay the ultimate price -- not receiving a college education -- for a mistake he's made.

Not sure if the crime happened in Minnesota or Vegas or if he was just at a camp out there, but either way, get him out of a troubled spot. Sign the kid, Rick. If he can play - he can play here.

Not sure if the crime happened in Minnesota or Vegas or if he was just at a camp out there, but either way, get him out of a troubled spot. Sign the kid, Rick. If he can play - he can play here.

Wisconsin. Not sure if this kid can play the "rough upbringing" card.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11990995

Programs not bailing on recruit who could face jailing

July 27, 2009

By Gary Parrish

CBSSports.com Senior Writer

LAS VEGAS -- A year ago at this time, Anthony DiLoreto was signed with Cal Poly and scheduled to enroll at the Big West Conference School. But then the Minnesota native was charged with robbery of a financial institution and possession of a short-barreled rifle for his alleged role in a bank heist, and you are going to be surprised by this column if you think that was the end of his basketball career.

It was not the end.

It was the launching pad, believe it or not.

Anthony DiLoreto is getting increased attention despite off-court issues. (Provided to CBSSports.com)

"Saint Louis has offered," DiLoreto told me after he helped a summer basketball team called Net Gain Sports to a win in the Adidas Super 64 tournament this weekend. "There's some Big Ten, some West Coast Conference schools [also showing interest]."

I'm not one of these holier than now types that say you shouldn't sign kids with some sort of background but this isn't a kid that got got caught underage drinking, with pot or in a school fight. This is much more serious. I vote no.

I think the negative publicity from something like this would be huge. It will be confined largely to internet space based just on the reported offer, but if we actually signed this kid we'd get blasted in the print media. Its just not worth it.

I'm not one of these holier than now types that say you shouldn't sign kids with some sort of background but this isn't a kid that got got caught underage drinking, with pot or in a school fight. This is much more serious. I vote no.

I think the negative publicity from something like this would be huge. It will be confined largely to internet space based just on the reported offer, but if we actually signed this kid we'd get blasted in the print media. Its just not worth it.

We're on the same page alot lately. At first glance, I'd vote no.

Also of note...he is 7'0" tall.

WAIT A MINUTE !!!!

first: this was so funny and odd and weird that I have to take 3 minutes to respond-- IS THIS SERIOUS??

second: the article says he was CHARGED --does that mean he was acquitted? last I checked, it is still innocent until proven guilty in America . . . .

third: I agree that this is bad PR for SLU, but remember that the kid was never convicted -- agin, I ask -- is the trilal pending? over?? UNCLEAR!!!

Also of note...he is 7'0" tall.

One would think a 7'0" individual would not attempt to be part of a bank heist. Won't have too many problems picking him out of a lineup.

I'm also thinking this isn't worth it, though. I agree with the others- pot, drinking, other misdemeanors like that can be blown out of proportion and it's just a matter of who's getting caught, anyway. This is a bit different, and we're not Mizzou.

Guest BillikenReport

I find out about this earlier in the week and was wondering when the info would make it to this site.

This one is like a Todd Wellemeyer 91 mile-per-hour fastball in the wheel house for the Majerus haters.

One question I have is whether or not Majerus talked to Biondi about this before offering him a scholarship.

WENT BACK AND READ THAT FULL ARTICLE, AND ALL I CAN MUSTER IS THIS:

#$@**$^!!!!?!?!????

a few more points:

is it confirmed that Majerus did in fact offer this kid?

if true: did Majerus know about this criminal charge??

and; did someone slip something into my normal morning coffee??????

this is a PR disaster, far worse than a bad Wellemeyer pitch.

ps -- the photo of the guy makes his arms look like toothpicks.

WAIT A MINUTE !!!!

first: this was so funny and odd and weird that I have to take 3 minutes to respond-- IS THIS SERIOUS??

second: the article says he was CHARGED --does that mean he was acquitted? last I checked, it is still innocent until proven guilty in America . . . .

third: I agree that this is bad PR for SLU, but remember that the kid was never convicted -- agin, I ask -- is the trilal pending? over?? UNCLEAR!!!

I agree, innocent until proven guilty. However, he already tried to get one plea deal done and continues to try and do so which makes me lean towards the opinion of guilty.

from SportingNews.com

Authorities in Danbury, Wis., charged Diloreto with robbery of a financial institution and possession of a short-barreled rifle in connection with an incident that occurred nearly two years ago. A settlement conference is set for Aug. 7; he previously had agreed to a plea, but the affected bank rejected the deal because it did not involve a felony charge.

And yes, there are other schools that take guys with this in the background, but do we really want SLU to be lumped in with them? I guess that's up for Coach Majerus and the administration to decide.

Innocent or not, this kid has displayed incredibly poor judgement. Being involved in a bank robbery is not the kind of relatively spontaneous infraction that most high school and college kids commit (things like bar fights, DUIs, etc.). This idiot was involved in something that required a good deal of planning, and he still thought it was a good idea.

Oh well. Even if he signs, I'm sure Majerus can always whip out his crank at some point and scare him into transferring.

Obviously I think this is a terrible idea but two things will happen. If he is found guilty of the felony then SLU will pull his scholarship and forget about it. If he is cleared of the charges and accepts the scholarship im sure SLU will go through its own process and decide if he is able to attend SLU.

The thing I dont get is that we arent struggling for bodies to fill the roster so why would he take on this PR nightmare? Just doesnt make any sense whatsoever. Sounds like the kid wanted to be Henry Hill instead of a basketball star...

Interesting that someone asked if Rick ran this by Biondi! What about A.D. Chris whom Rick reports to? Shouldn't he be the next rung up the ladder? This will give the entire SLU athletic program a black eye!

RIckma doesn't report to the AD. Do you think any coach in the country who is making hundreds of thousands more than the AD is reporting to the AD?

RIckma doesn't report to the AD. Do you think any coach in the country who is making hundreds of thousands more than the AD is reporting to the AD?

You are wrong Brian.

I most definitely do think coaches report to the AD except in a few disfunctional situations that don't last. The coaches may make more money but in most stable situations they are accountable to the AD. Perhaps in a Bobby Knight kind of situation they are not at Indiana but look how that ended.

This is the type of thing that makes me want to not renew my tickets.

Then again we have brought Majerus in here. In Rick we Trust.

Majerus would not have offered him if he thought he was a present or future parolee. If we sign him he will be a good player and he won't get in any more trouble. Majerus has a strong track record on these issues. If he has faith in the kid so be it. If SLU said said we cannot sign him because of his criminal background I have no problem with that either.

Did the article say he could play for us this year?

I really hope that we did not offer this player. If so it is a completely idiotic move and the university will hear about it from me and I encourage others to call and voice opposition to this scholarship offer. As much as I love SLU and basketball I will cease to be a fan for the duration that this player is on the team and I will have to reconsider my future fanship. I will certainly not donate any money to the University.

The article is wrong, bank robbery is not a victimless crime. This bank robbery is aggravated as the perpetrators were armed. Innocent people are killed in bank robberies. There are also economic victims. This is not a misdemeanor, this a Federal Crime. The article doesn't state that the player was charged federally or locally. It appears that he got local charges. A Federal Armed Bank Robbery carries a minimum sentence of 10 years. Convicts must serve a minimum of 80% of the sentence. I am not sure what he would have to serve based on his plea deal. So just based on the fact that he will have to serve a few years in prison this is not a rational offer.

This is an embarrassment to the University. The media is often wrong and I really hope they are wrong here.

Majerus would not have offered him if he thought he was a present or future parolee. If we sign him he will be a good player and he won't get in any more trouble. Majerus has a strong track record on these issues. If he has faith in the kid so be it. If SLU said said we cannot sign him because of his criminal background I have no problem with that either.

No this is a stupid decision to offer the kid and I will lose respect for Majerus if this offer is not rescinded. There are plenty of other non-felons that can play basketball. Armed Bank Robbery is a serious lapse in judgement revealing a serious character flaw. We do not want that representing our University.

Three things make this interesting:

1. I trust Majerus' judgment of character

2. We don't really NEED this kid that badly (or do we?)

3. I've never heard of him and can't find anything on him besides this incident so I assume he's not a HUGE prospect

This makes me think that this kid comes personally recommended by someone fairly close to RM and that RM knows the WHOLE story and is willing to do the Jesuit thing and forgive and forget the truly repentant (if the kid is indeed sorry). No one knows for sure, though, and this is still a very scary situation. Me, personally, I'd probably say "Sorry, good luck, hope you get your life back on track..." but maybe RM sees another Andre Miller situation (though different in many ways) and just wants the challenge of personally seeing to it that the kid is set straight. Maybe RM's mom is in the gardening club w/ his grandma. Who knows?

If by some crazy stretch of imagination we actually end up signing this kid and playing him for four years, I guarantee Majerus will be 7 feet up his ass every second. We'll see. This is still weird as hell... Kid seems like too much of a ***** to be a bad influence, maybe RM just figures that all the other good kids on the team will eat his lunch and turn him into a choir boy.

Three things make this interesting:

1. I trust Majerus' judgment of character

2. We don't really NEED this kid that badly (or do we?)

3. I've never heard of him and can't find anything on him besides this incident so I assume he's not a HUGE prospect

This makes me think that this kid comes personally recommended by someone fairly close to RM and that RM knows the WHOLE story and is willing to do the Jesuit thing and forgive and forget the truly repentant (if the kid is indeed sorry). No one knows for sure, though, and this is still a very scary situation. Me, personally, I'd probably say "Sorry, good luck, hope you get your life back on track..." but maybe RM sees another Andre Miller situation (though different in many ways) and just wants the challenge of personally seeing to it that the kid is set straight. Maybe RM's mom is in the gardening club w/ his grandma. Who knows?

If by some crazy stretch of imagination we actually end up signing this kid and playing him for four years, I guarantee Majerus will be 7 feet up his ass every second. We'll see. This is still weird as hell... Kid seems like too much of a ***** to be a bad influence, maybe RM just figures that all the other good kids on the team will eat his lunch and turn him into a choir boy.

Just my two cents,

This is absolutely absurd. I don't care if this kid had the biggest "come to Jesus" meeting in the history of mankind. Frankly, I don't give a S***. I don't want Saint Louis University having anything to do with a potential felon, and I hope to God no one is hiding behind that "innocent until proven guilty" bulls***. The kid tried to cope a plea because he saw the writing on the wall. Hell, the kid saw the writing on the wall DURING the robbery and tried to get outa Dodge.

Jimbo, this isn't an attack on you, but this is not even close to an Andre Miller situation. Miller screwed up in school and had to go the Prop 48 route. I will take a kid getting a 1.0 GPA everyday of the week before I even take a whiff at some lankly ass felon. While I am not making excuses for Andre Miller, it is must easier to forgive a kid for not taking school seriously than it is to forgive a wannabe gangster who drove 125 MILES so his loser friend could hold up the bank.

I'm sorry, but if RickMa takes this kid I will have a hard time representing and respecting our basketball coach. He has worked hard to assemble a team of QUALITY student-athletes that don't rob banks. If he takes this kid he is putting his entire reputation on the line, and completely loses his credibility when talking about "good, honest, hardworking kids."

One last thing. Why the hell risk your reputation on this kid? I looked up his stats. His senior year he averaged about 8 points a game and something like 6 rebounds. He never scored more that 14 points, and he signed with Cal Poly out of high school. It's not like we are talking about a DeMarcus Cousin's type talent here.