Big Time or Big House?

http://www.slu.edu/x5021.xml

Mission Statement

The Mission of Saint Louis University is the pursuit of truth for the greater glory of God and for the service of humanity. The University seeks excellence in the fulfillment of its corporate purposes of teaching, research, health care and service to the community. It is dedicated to leadership in the continuing quest for understanding of God's creation and for the discovery, dissemination and integration of the values, knowledge and skills required to transform society in the spirit of the Gospels. As a Catholic, Jesuit university, this pursuit is motivated by the inspiration and values of the Judeo-Christian tradition and is guided by the spiritual and intellectual ideals of the Society of Jesus.

In support of its mission, the University:

Encourages and supports innovative scholarship and effective teaching in all fields of the arts; the humanities; the natural, health and medical sciences; the social sciences; the law; business; aviation; and technology.

Creates an academic environment that values and promotes free, active and original intellectual inquiry among its faculty and students.

Fosters programs that link University resources to local, national and international communities in collaborative efforts to alleviate ignorance, poverty, injustice and hunger; extend compassionate care to the ill and needy; and maintain and improve the quality of life for all persons.

Strives continuously to seek means to build upon its Catholic, Jesuit identity and to promote activities that apply its intellectual and ethical heritage to work for the good of society as a whole.

Welcomes students, faculty and staff from all racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds and beliefs and creates a sense of community that facilitates their development as men and women for others.

Nurtures within its community an understanding of and commitment to the promotion of faith and justice in the spirit of the Gospels.

Wisely allocates its resources to maintain efficiency and effectiveness in attaining its mission and goals.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of surprising the local press, Timmerman or our biggest supporter, Maurice Scott, hasn't jumped on this and asked SLU for confirmation or denial. Another aspect to this story would be the effect on our current squad and the reaction of their parents. By that, I'm saying wouldn't they object vehemently to their son playing alongside a budding Baby Face Nelson? I would. Also, team memebers going into to RM's office and saying, "hey I'm not sure I want to be sharing a locker room with this guy." Furthermore, potential recruits might question what SLU's all about if they think a gun toting get a way driver is going to be a future team mate. Plus it makes no sense we'd offer a guy still going through the legal process for a major felony. If this whole thing is true, SLU ought to put it to rest quickly by saying it was a huge mistake and that controls will be put in place to make sure we're not in the business of offering five star felons. Granted, he's an alleged felon.

A-Bomb, I'm not sure it's appropriate to be contacting the university to protest this reported scholarship offer, because there has been no official report. And they can't publicly comment on recruits (well, actually they can say, "Yes, we're recruiting him," or "No, we're not recruiting him," but they usually "err" on the side of caution and decline comment). So there's a chance you could be ranting about someone SLU isn't recruiting and they won't even bother to tell you you're wrong.

Why would it be wrong to contact SLU to let your feelings be known? Imo it's actually better to do it early, if they haven't offered and aren't going to whats the harm? They now know how some of their boosters feel. If they have they can decide they don't care or pull their offer. It would be worse to be quiet and then after the kid accepts start complaining, and maybe to late as the perception that SLU offered and only pulled because boosters complained would be bad publicity or he would end up coming and I have no doubt we'd have people cancelling season tickets.

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basket...ummer-prep-camp

DeCourcey had the story a day earlier on his blog.

This is getting picked up by sports blogs all over.

Thicks I contacted the AD way before your post. They can't comment of course but I am under the impression this is true. Very, very, sad but true.

Why would it be wrong to contact SLU to let your feelings be known? Imo it's actually better to do it early, if they haven't offered and aren't going to whats the harm? They now know how some of their boosters feel. If they have they can decide they don't care or pull their offer. It would be worse to be quiet and then after the kid accepts start complaining, and maybe to late as the perception that SLU offered and only pulled because boosters complained would be bad publicity or he would end up coming and I have no doubt we'd have people cancelling season tickets.

The more I think about this fiasco the more I buy into Nate's mysterious comment that there's got to be something more to this than meets the eye. This is so out of character for SLU and RM, if it's true about what he looks for in a recruit, ie character, discipline, commitment, that it's like Bizzaro world. Furthermore, unless this kid has the potential to be a Bill Walton, which it appears he doesn't, why would any sane program invite the devastating backlash that is sure to follow his signing. TArk the Shark or even Quinn Snyder wouldn't touch this kid with a ten foot pole. And that brings up another point, if we offered why didn't Scarface Jr. jump on it? If you were his attorney wouldn't you like to go to the DA and say your client has turned the corner, seen the error of his ways, and has accepted a scholie from one of the nation's finest Jesuit institutions? No.... nothing here makes any sense. I don't believe SLU is so clueless not to realize what's at stake in signing a kid who doesn't offer much, at least on paper. It's not like he's John Wall. Is there any chance this kid is related to RM somehow? Like maybe his girlfriend's nephew. Is the kid related to Chaifetz? Is he the second Coming of JC? Do we really think SLU would risk losing other recruits over this, jepordize donations, jepordize attendance, and subject the team to some unreal hazing at away games? Can you imagine what a field day the Cameron Crazies, if we were ever to play Duke, would have with this kid? Everyone one of 'em would be toting a toy gun and tossing bags of Monopoly money on the court. This is really.... really..... bizzare. And again it's totally baffling why the local media is ignoring this story. This is fodder for the likes of Brian Gumble's show, Real Sports.

The more I think about this fiasco the more I buy into Nate's mysterious comment that there's got to be something more to this than meets the eye. This is so out of character for SLU and RM, if it's true about what he looks for in a recruit, ie character, discipline, commitment, that it's like Bizzaro world. Furthermore, unless this kid has the potential to be a Bill Walton, which it appears he doesn't, why would any sane program invite the devastating backlash that is sure to follow his signing. TArk the Shark or even Quinn Snyder wouldn't touch this kid with a ten foot pole. And that brings up another point, if we offered why didn't Scarface Jr. jump on it? If you were his attorney wouldn't you like to go to the DA and say your client has turned the corner, seen the error of his ways, and has accepted a scholie from one of the nation's finest Jesuit institutions? No.... nothing here makes any sense. I don't believe SLU is so clueless not to realize what's at stake in signing a kid who doesn't offer much, at least on paper. It's not like he's John Wall. Is there any chance this kid is related to RM somehow? Like maybe his girlfriend's nephew. Is the kid related to Chaifetz? Is he the second Coming of JC? Do we really think SLU would risk losing other recruits over this, jepordize donations, jepordize attendance, and subject the team to some unreal hazing at away games? Can you imagine what a field day the Cameron Crazies, if we were ever to play Duke, would have with this kid? Everyone one of 'em would be toting a toy gun and tossing bags of Monopoly money on the court. This is really.... really..... bizzare. And again it's totally baffling why the local media is ignoring this story. This is fodder for the likes of Brian Gumble's show, Real Sports.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the mighty Quinn wouldn't touch this kid. He did recruit, and kept open a scholarship, for the Whaley who had been charged with rape. Wasn't there a hung jury on that trial?

I think it's clear these things are fact. It was the kids gun, he did go in the place 1st and check it out, and he was there. IF all those are true and it looks like they are, he's guilty and I couldn't care less if he plea bargains or is aquitted. I wouldn't want him at SLU.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the mighty Quinn wouldn't touch this kid. He did recruit, and kept open a scholarship, for the Whaley who had been charged with rape. Wasn't there a hung jury on that trial?

You might want to use another term other than "hung jury" in a rape trial.

Or the fictitious "Gumbel to Gumbel" show from "Family Guy..."

Six degrees of Greg Gumbel to Saint Louis U -- GG, or GSquared, as I like to call him, attended Loras College in Dubuque (one of only three cities in America with three 'u' s in its name - the other being Albuquerque, NM and East Dubuque, IL). Loras hired Brad Soderberg as their interim A.D. after he was $hitcanned by SLU. Funny, the way it is, as Dave Matthews just recently said on his new album.