Awful Commentary

That is essentially my point, but I do want to note to Kshoe and other boosters that SLU did not have to hire Majerus if they were committed to maintaining their pristine image. While I'm sure it's likely that almost every coach has broken a minor rule here and there, I do not think a majority of coaches make a habit of breaking many minor rules. With Majerus, Utah cited several minor violations and he was charged with lack of departmental oversight. That's a little different and Utah was punished for it. I really think that Majerus believes some of the rules are silly and felt that they didn't need to be followed at Utah, such as paying for a player's meals. However, an ethical coach does not willingly break even minor rules.

As for me, that is not enough for me to not root for SLU. I'll support the Billikens program because my standard for a coach is different from Billiken Roy. That is also why I continue to support Mizzou after the Quin debacle.

An ethical coach buys his player a meal when he feels said player needs one. That's it and that's that. That is an incredibly silly rule. No different from a professor doing it, in my mind. Don't get me wrong, I understand that Majerus has had much greater transgressions, but being a mentor, a friend, and most of all a human supersedes any of that other BS that comes w/ being an NCAA coach.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An ethical coach buys his player a meal when he feels said player needs one. That's it and that's that. That is an incredibly silly rule. No different from a professor doing it, in my mind. Don't get me wrong, I understand that Majerus has had much greater transgressions, but being a mentor, a friend, and most of all a human supersedes any of that other BS that comes w/ being an NCAA coach.

I'll tell you what, if a "transgression" involves recruiting the occasional werewolf, then count me in.

I disagree with Billiken Rich on multiple levels, but I'll focus on his comment stating that Billiken Roy will jump on the bandwagon when SLU wins big. I actually disagree with that. Unlike most posters here, he's been very consistent in wanting the program to win the right way. That means following all of the rules to the letter and honoring all commitments. Looking at Majerus' history, he has not met any of those requirements.

Let's not forget that Majerus was cited for minor violations at Utah.

A Mizzou basketball fan is going to come on here and preach about winning the right way, morals, ethics, and NCAA violations? Please. Mizzou has a two decade plus record of not meeting those stansards.

A Mizzou basketball fan is going to come on here and preach about winning the right way, morals, ethics, and NCAA violations? Please. Mizzou has a two decade plus record of not meeting those stansards.

You missed the whole point. I'm a Mizzou fan, who recognizes that they have been lax with NCAA rules. However, I'm not sanctimonious in condemning fans, who support programs that are less than ethical in the past. It's one thing to be like Billiken Roy, who's been consistent in his criticism of Mizzou. He can be highly critical of Mizzou because he is also disappointed that SLU has lowered their ethical standards in hiring a coach who is a past violator of NCAA rules and regulations.

However, it's another thing to be highly critical of Mizzou's past and then look the other way when SLU hires a coach with a questionable past. This concept is called hypocrisy.

at least years from now i will be able to look at myself in the mirror as i was consistent with doing the right thing instead of selling out to just win baby. but if making fun of that is what makes you feel better david, go ahead and make all the fun of me you want. it justifies your means. go for it.

I really think you're digging a bigger and bigger hole in DEEP left field Roy. I'm not laughing at you but I am consistantly puzzled by your reaction or overreaction to our coach. Your self righteous streak is a mile wide and not terribly attractive. Your longing for the days when basketball was played without direct physical contact between the players is ridiculous. Your insistance that the team castrate itself for the needs of the individual is down right unAmerican and certainly non-vulcan. You have lost your blue glasses and found some that only seem to show horse ###### when you look at our coach.

It's probably a good thing for your sanity that you do not frequent this board as you once did.

Crab on.

You missed the whole point. I'm a Mizzou fan, who recognizes that they have been lax with NCAA rules. However, I'm not sanctimonious in condemning fans, who support programs that are less than ethical in the past. It's one thing to be like Billiken Roy, who's been consistent in his criticism of Mizzou. He can be highly critical of Mizzou because he is also disappointed that SLU has lowered their ethical standards in hiring a coach who is a past violator of NCAA rules and regulations.

However, it's another thing to be highly critical of Mizzou's past and then look the other way when SLU hires a coach with a questionable past. This concept is called hypocrisy.

Yes I expect buying lunch ranks right up there with recruiting kids like good old Ricky C and Kalen "pump action" Grimes. There is no comparison between Rick Majerus and Quin Snyder.

Yes I expect buying lunch ranks right up there with recruiting kids like good old Ricky C and Kalen "pump action" Grimes. There is no comparison between Rick Majerus and Quin Snyder.

You probably gave Good old Norm Stewart and Mizzou boosters a pass on their lengthy relation with the Detroit connection that brought a steady stream of

Basketball talent and I believe at least one of his assistants had the same kind of

Reputation that caused Biancardi to lose his recruiting privileges from his Ohio State days.

Only our politicians get to recuse themselves when it is obvious they are hooked up.

And even that doesn't work all the time. I site as examples Nero and Rod Blagoyevich.

One as an example for looking the other way and the other for giving the appearance

Of disgracing his party by flagrant disregard if not active

comission.

I doubt too many of us would annoint RM or Dick Durbin

For their public disagreement with the Catholic church but

Both have their backers. We are in both cases hiring the best

Available in the talent pool not waiting for God to send us a

Senator or basketball coach who is pure

I really think you're digging a bigger and bigger hole in DEEP left field Roy. I'm not laughing at you but I am consistantly puzzled by your reaction or overreaction to our coach. Your self righteous streak is a mile wide and not terribly attractive. Your longing for the days when basketball was played without direct physical contact between the players is ridiculous. Your insistance that the team castrate itself for the needs of the individual is down right unAmerican and certainly non-vulcan. You have lost your blue glasses and found some that only seem to show horse ###### when you look at our coach.

It's probably a good thing for your sanity that you do not frequent this board as you once did.

Crab on.

Rich, welcome to the cage match. ;)

How come claims of "racism" only move in one direction? Having the ability to throw Lisch's name in here was a fortuitous break for Scott here. But this whole thing is about Tommie and how the development, or lack thereof, has impacted some undisclosed future Scott must have envisioned for himself. Scott missed this shot at his personal lottery. Rick's to blame.

Once again, if there is blame, to me, it lies at Soderberg's feet. He brought these two in and was nothing but incompetent in getting them any support. How the hell did we get Ian? Does anybody know the real story? I heard we got Bryant because someone recommended Reggie come our way. So two of our better recruits in that era were bumblin'-stumblin'-fumblin' "gets." I thought Brad got Eberhardt and Rick had to re-recruit him and get him to stay, no?

Also, a team operates on separate, individual parts, working in unison to address the issue at hand. How a kid does his sophomore year, without factoring in all the other parts in motion at that time, and comparing him to a senior year, again without comparing all parts, is the very definition of "taking things out of context." But ol' Mo very readily had an agenda here. One only needs to use the "facts" of the matter as they pertain to supporting the conclusions that were obviously made long before this "objective" piece was done.

Sadly, I am sure this instance will be used quite readily to convince other Tommie Liddells that it would not be in their best interest and stay home and play for the local school any more than in years past. the only "real" local left on the roster then is Femi. If you can't root for a f**ker from Minnesota" I can't wait to see how the locals turn toward thunders from Down Under.

You're comparing hiring someone with a warrant for an unpaid speeding ticket to hiring someone with 3 convictions for dealing crack and 2 for armed robbery.

You're comparing hiring someone with a warrant for an unpaid speeding ticket to hiring someone with 3 convictions for dealing crack and 2 for armed robbery.

Majerus was not just cited for one 'minor' transgression. He was cited for committing 'several' minor violations. That's a bigger deal. Now were Mizzou's previous violations bigger than SLU, ABSOLUTELY... Never stated otherwise.

Here's my analogy of Majerus' transgression. Rather than using the speeding ticket analogy, let's just say he ran up a series of parking violations....not just one. Rather than pay any of those parking tickets, he decides to ignore them and then the police arrest him for nonpayment.

I do want to note that SLU can no longer claim a pristine image now and it's time to quit taking gratuitous shots at other programs such as Mizzou that were NCAA violators. Of course, Billiken Roy is the exception. He gets it and he's the only that isn't being hypocritical.

Majerus was not just cited for one 'minor' transgression. He was cited for committing 'several' minor violations. That's a bigger deal. Now were Mizzou's previous violations bigger than SLU, ABSOLUTELY... Never stated otherwise.

I do want to note that SLU can no longer claim a pristine image now and it's time to quit taking gratuitous shots at other programs as Mizzou that were NCAA violators. Of course, Billiken Roy is the exception. He gets it and he's the only that isn't being hypocritical.

I am confused. What transgressions have been committed at SLU????

Please inform me on SLU transgressions. Just because we hire a coach that is getting a second chance to do it right does not me SLU is guilty. :angry:

How come claims of "racism" only move in one direction? Having the ability to throw Lisch's name in here was a fortuitous break for Scott here. But this whole thing is about Tommie and how the development, or lack thereof, has impacted some undisclosed future Scott must have envisioned for himself. Scott missed this shot at his personal lottery. Rick's to blame.

Once again, if there is blame, to me, it lies at Soderberg's feet. He brought these two in and was nothing but incompetent in getting them any support. How the hell did we get Ian? Does anybody know the real story? I heard we got Bryant because someone recommended Reggie come our way. So two of our better recruits in that era were bumblin'-stumblin'-fumblin' "gets." I thought Brad got Eberhardt and Rick had to re-recruit him and get him to stay, no?

Also, a team operates on separate, individual parts, working in unison to address the issue at hand. How a kid does his sophomore year, without factoring in all the other parts in motion at that time, and comparing him to a senior year, again without comparing all parts, is the very definition of "taking things out of context." But ol' Mo very readily had an agenda here. One only needs to use the "facts" of the matter as they pertain to supporting the conclusions that were obviously made long before this "objective" piece was done.

Sadly, I am sure this instance will be used quite readily to convince other Tommie Liddells that it would not be in their best interest and stay home and play for the local school any more than in years past. the only "real" local left on the roster then is Femi. If you can't root for a f**ker from Minnesota" I can't wait to see how the locals turn toward thunders from Down Under.

It is my understanding that Coach Soderberg offered Ian without seeing him play in person. Only on tape. Assistant coach Anthony Beane played in Greece and that is how he found his way to the Bills. Story goes that St. Louisan Gary Buchanan suggested SLU to his Villanova teammate Reggie Bryant. Just curious, where did you see "racism" charged in that article?

I think Maurice Scott's commentary was right on! And Billiken Roy is right on with the way Coach Majerus handled Lisch & Liddell.

Show us an article on SLU basketball or better yet an artcle backing Brad Soderberg

while he was still our head coach and we will applaud Maurice Scott for his

journalism; otherwise, many of us wonder what supports

The conjecture of the author.

Show us an article on SLU basketball or better yet an artcle backing Brad Soderberg

while he was still our head coach and we will applaud Maurice Scott for his

journalism; otherwise, many of us wonder what supports

The conjecture of the author.

I wouldn't even call it journalism.

Here's my analogy of Majerus' transgression. Rather than using the speeding ticket analogy, let's just say he ran up a series of parking violations....not just one. Rather than pay any of those parking tickets, he decides to ignore them and then the police arrest him for nonpayment.

I do want to note that SLU can no longer claim a pristine image now and it's time to quit taking gratuitous shots at other programs such as Mizzou that were NCAA violators. Of course, Billiken Roy is the exception. He gets it and he's the only that isn't being hypocritical.

Give it a rest AJ. You come on here after a prolonged absense and immediately re-start a two year old debate about what may or may not have happened with Majerus at Utah over a decade ago. There hasn't even been a scent of any wrong doing here at SLU so why bring it up again?

As for Roy, he simply hates Majerus. He hates his rambling style, he hates that he doesn't show up for every Billiken Club meeting, that he doesn't do the post-game show, he hates that Lisch and Liddell regressed under him and yes he hates him because he told DM, AM, and AK to take a hike (Relephorde left on his own). Roy may justify his hate with some moral righteousness but I'm not buying it. He just doesn't like the guy.

Its a shame because in two and three years when this years freshman class is juniors and seniors we'll be having great seasons and making the NCAA tournament and a part of Roy won't enjoy it because of his disdain for RM.

Guest BillikenReport

As for Roy, he simply hates Majerus. He hates his rambling style, he hates that he doesn't show up for every Billiken Club meeting, that he doesn't do the post-game show, he hates that Lisch and Liddell regressed under him and yes he hates him because he told DM, AM, and AK to take a hike (Relephorde left on his own). Roy may justify his hate with some moral righteousness but I'm not buying it. He just doesn't like the guy.

kshoe,

You also forgot that Roy hates Majerus because he didn't get D-Lisch a fair shot to make the team, even though Majerus gave the Division III player a scholarship to a Division I school for an entire year.

Give it a rest AJ. You come on here after a prolonged absense and immediately re-start a two year old debate about what may or may not have happened with Majerus at Utah over a decade ago. There hasn't even been a scent of any wrong doing here at SLU so why bring it up again?

Its a shame because in two and three years when this years freshman class is juniors and seniors we'll be having great seasons and making the NCAA tournament and a part of Roy won't enjoy it because of his disdain for RM.

Bob Huggins coaches at West Virginia and there's not a hint of scandal there despite his history at Cincy. He also coached at K-State and was never cited there. Maybe Huggins will be clean the rest of the way and never get into any trouble. The same could be true with Majerus.

Here's the issue. You've got sanctimonious SLU fans, who think SLU is so different from the major college programs. I actually agreed with that until Soderberg got fired and Majerus got hired. I find it hard to believe that Biondi would have hired ANY coach with impropriety in the NCAA before Majerus. In fact, Miklasz reported that the administration was turned off by some of the recruiting strategies of Brian Gregory, when he was a finalist for the job given to Soderberg. There was a time when many SLU boosters valued that integrity.

Now in the name of funding the new arena, it appears their value systems have changed and they are willing to take a chance with their hiring of Majerus. That's fine and just shows to me that SLU fans aren't that much different than Mizzou fans. I support both programs and look forward to seeing SLU and Mizzou in the Final Four one day.

Bob Huggins coaches at West Virginia and there's not a hint of scandal there despite his history at Cincy. He also coached at K-State and was never cited there. Maybe Huggins will be clean the rest of the way and never get into any trouble. The same could be true with Majerus.

Here's the issue. You've got sanctimonious SLU fans, who think SLU is so different from the major college programs. I actually agreed with that until Soderberg got fired and Majerus got hired. I find it hard to believe that Biondi would have hired ANY coach with impropriety in the NCAA before Majerus. In fact, Miklasz reported that the administration was turned off by some of the recruiting strategies of Brian Gregory, when he was a finalist for the job given to Soderberg. There was a time when many SLU boosters valued that integrity.

Now in the name of funding the new arena, it appears their value systems have changed and they are willing to take a chance with their hiring of Majerus. That's fine and just shows to me that SLU fans aren't that much different than Mizzou fans. I support both programs and look forward to seeing SLU and Mizzou in the Final Four one day.

Majerus's violations have nothing in common with Huggins's or Quin's or even Norm Stewart's. Quit acting like they do. I posted this elsewhere, but here is Rick Reilly's take on Rickma's violations at the time

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_ga...life_of_reilly/

1) Comparing Majerus to Huggins is comical. Among other things, have you ever listened to Majerus stress academics? Get real AJ.

2) there are sanctimonious fans everywhere and fans that think their school is better than everyone else. That goes with the territory of athletics, no matter what sport or level. Lets not act like SLU fans are orignal in that category. A quick look at Tigerboard any given day will probably find 10 threads about how dirty KU is. Whatever.

3) Lets just end this discussion as surely there are better things to talk about then they same things discussed ad naseum 2 -years ago.

Global warming, cancer, North Korea, the recession, and Tommie and Kevin's basketball career - all the fault of Brad Soderberg....

1) Comparing Majerus to Huggins is comical. Among other things, have you ever listened to Majerus stress academics? Get real AJ.

2) there are sanctimonious fans everywhere and fans that think their school is better than everyone else. That goes with the territory of athletics, no matter what sport or level. Lets not act like SLU fans are orignal in that category. A quick look at Tigerboard any given day will probably find 10 threads about how dirty KU is. Whatever.

3) Lets just end this discussion as surely there are better things to talk about then they same things discussed ad naseum 2 -years ago.

We can end this now. I'm a believer that sin is sin. I don't go around saying that I'm more holy than someone else because my transgressions are less than another. I see you two believe differently. That's fine. We can move on.

P.S. Mizzou fans are just as sanctimonious as SLU fans.

We can end this now. I'm a believer that sin is sin. I don't go around saying that I'm more holy than someone else because my transgressions are less than another. I see you two believe differently. That's fine. We can move on.

P.S. Mizzou fans are just as sanctimonious as SLU fans.

I'm sure Stalin is glad to know that you hold him in as high esteem as those who get red light camera tickets........