OT: Ash Wednesday Mass at the Old Cathedral

Did anyone attend the Ash Wednesday Mass at the Old Cathedral at 12:10 PM? The priest saying mass had a meltdown during his homily and started ranting and raving against banks, brokers, accountants, SLUH, Chaminade, people who own 42" plasma televisions, Catholic Charities, CBC, and several other things. A lot of people left before communion, right after ashes were distributed. The whole thing caused quite a stir. Just curious if anyone else was there and knows what the deal is with the priest.

Did anyone attend the Ash Wednesday Mass at the Old Cathedral at 12:10 PM? The priest saying mass had a meltdown during his homily and started ranting and raving against banks, brokers, accountants, SLUH, Chaminade, people who own 42" plasma televisions, Catholic Charities, CBC, and several other things. A lot of people left before communion, right after ashes were distributed. The whole thing caused quite a stir. Just curious if anyone else was there and knows what the deal is with the priest.

I was at the 7 am mass and attend church there every Sunday. What priest was it? Was it the heavier set one?

I do not know what the other priest looks like, but this guy was probably in his 60's and was pretty heavy set. He was mostly bald with white hair and he seemed to be about 6 feet tall. He was not a happy camper.

I do not know what the other priest looks like, but this guy was probably in his 60's and was pretty heavy set. He was mostly bald with white hair and he seemed to be about 6 feet tall. He was not a happy camper.

Sad to hear this, he is my favorite. He does pretty energized and loud at times during his homily but never anything inappropriate.

He couldn't find anything wrong with DeSmet?

This homily sounds amazing. Now I'm really regretting missing mass last week. Hopefully someone will post it to YouTube like the Rev. Wright diatribes.

I was waiting for him to get to DeSmet, but he got sidetracked with the "42 inch plasma televisions". It was the most bizarre thing I have ever seen in a Catholic church in my life.

Strange Times. I don't own a 42" Plasma Screen. In fact I have the old school TVs they aren't even HD or flat panel. Am I ok?

Strange Times. I don't own a 42" Plasma Screen. In fact I have the old school TVs they aren't even HD or flat panel. Am I ok?

As long as you did not work for BofA, Grant Thorton, Merrill Lynch or have an MBA or went to a private high school other than St. Mary's, then I think you are okay. But given the rant this guy was on who knows!!!! :blink:

As long as you did not work for BofA, Grant Thorton, Merrill Lynch or have an MBA or went to a private high school other than St. Mary's, then I think you are okay. But given the rant this guy was on who knows!!!! :blink:

Yes, that St. Mary's education comes through again.

I used to work for Bank of America and have a TV larger than 42". Hope I'm still okay in the eyes of the Church.

I went to Chaminade, work for B of A, and have a flat screen (albeit a little less than 42"). Guys like me are giving the poor old priest a headache. I'm not too worried about it, though, because Archbishop Burke already excommunicated me a few years back for some reason or another.

I also work for BofA, but only rocking an old school 30" tube HDTV. I went to a heathen ass public school, though, so I'm probably eternally damned. Don't strike me down for this, God, but even priests can be MORONS.

I went to Christmas Mass at the Old Cathedral and listened to a similar rant, which I actually really enjoyed. Based on what you described, I'm going to guess that it's Father Quirk, who is also a political science teacher at SLU. I kind of wish I had been there to listen to that.

so what you guys are saying is a mass at the old cathedral is like watching keith olbermann on msnbc. that sounds painful.

so what you guys are saying is a mass at the old cathedral is like watching keith olbermann on msnbc. that sounds painful.

Agreed, it's actually much more entertaining listening to the likes of Hannity crying in the aftermath of W and co. slinking out of office as failures.

Agreed, it's actually much more entertaining listening to the likes of Hannity crying in the aftermath of W and co. slinking out of office as failures.

I was not going to mention this, but at the end of his hateful tirade against everything he proudly confirmed himself a part of the 'hate America first' crowd when proclaimed 'Of course, I am a liberal'. His words, not mine. Pretty much sums it all up.

I was not going to mention this, but at the end of his hateful tirade against everything he proudly confirmed himself a part of the 'hate America first' crowd when proclaimed 'Of course, I am a liberal'. His words, not mine. Pretty much sums it all up.

I know your boy W has left office with his tail between his legs, but try not to be so bitter. ;) Clearly you hate America because you hate our President. :blink:

It's amazing how quickly many people here (or anywhwere) can speculate on things without any first hand knowledge or with not much of any substance about the topic at all. I wasn't there, I don't know the person, I don't know anything about the situation, so I won't guess, speculate, draw conclusions, etc...but, if any person was ever having any type of emotional difficulties, I'd hope at least some of the people there had compassion and help and realized none of them are perfect either.

I used to work for Bank of America and have a TV larger than 42". Hope I'm still okay in the eyes of the Church.

I went to CBC, but I spent a large amount of time in detention, my TV is a LCD and I have never worked in the banking industry. I think I might be OK.

That's the good 'ole liberal bashing Roy that I remember. Sounds like it's "Gang up on Fullmer Time" again. I have no doubt that the Obama email my dad sent me last week was forwarded to him from you.

Maybe a whole bunch of people just heard something they didn't want to hear. We home school religion at my house, and yesterday my eighth grader's lesson had to do with the difference between legalism and the superseding law of charity. You should remember that Jesus really shook up the Pharisees when he preached at the temple. Maybe the old liberal priest was just playing the Jesus role, ruffling some very comfortable feathers. It must be noted that his sermon is getting a lot more attention than many of the sleep inducing homilies I've heard in my lifetime.

Sounds like his vow of poverty just came true...