Game Recap

RB2.0

Guys,

I missed the game last night. Can anyone give me a quick run down of how it went, high points and low points, etc. Charolette obviously sucks, but aside from that, it looks like our FT shooting was better last night, especially KM. Anyway, hook all of us up!

Guys,

I missed the game last night. Can anyone give me a quick run down of how it went, high points and low points, etc. Charolette obviously sucks, but aside from that, it looks like our FT shooting was better last night, especially KM. Anyway, hook all of us up!

There were two things last night I have never seen before. First, Anderson banks a 3 and then kisses his hand to the sky. It turned out to be his only points of the game so good for him. He is not a good player and he starts and plays many minutes. This gets me to to my next thing. Lutz. Is it me or do you love saying the word Lutz? At one point in the game the crowd was on him bad an he turned, smiled and waved. It was pretty funny. The guy has had some decent teams in the past but I wouldnt be surprised if this year costs him his job.

As for the Bills, it was a great second half. Willie, Kevin and Kwaimain played well. Brett and Cassity had some nice minutes and Tommie kept us in it during the first half. The play of the game had to be the inbound dunk by Willie. If anyone can find it on Youtube please post. He is getting stronger around the rim also, he fought for some boards tonight.

Coley was fun to watch for them, kid has some ups. Hopefully he transfers to UNC.

There were two things last night I have never seen before. First, Anderson banks a 3 and then kisses his hand to the sky. It turned out to be his only points of the game so good for him. He is not a good player and he starts and plays many minutes. This gets me to to my next thing. Lutz. Is it me or do you love saying the word Lutz? At one point in the game the crowd was on him bad an he turned, smiled and waved. It was pretty funny. The guy has had some decent teams in the past but I wouldnt be surprised if this year costs him his job.

Coley was fun to watch for them, kid has some ups. Hopefully he transfers to UNC.

Ian AndersEn does the kiss thing as a homage to his wife. Actually nothing original for Charlotte as Diego Guevara did the same back during the Conference USA days. Anyway, Andersen is a streaky player, as he can go off for 21 points like he did against Clemson back in November then completely disappear and go scoreless as well.

BTW, Andersen is starting because there just aren't many bodies left this season. First, back-up PG Michael Gerrity quit the team after the Labor Day weekend trip to Toronto. Then top incoming SG frosh Shamarr Bowden blew out his knee before the official start of pratice in October. Bowden was the leading scorer for the Niners during those 3 exhibition games against Canadian colleges. Sophomore starting SG (and back-up PG after the loss of Gerrity) Charles Dewherst suffered his 2nd season-ending injury as a Niner during the 12th game of the season. Right now the back-up PG is a walk-on who up to now seldom saw any PT and didn't last night at all as DiJuan Harris played almost the entire game before fouling out near the end. And then there's starting SF An'Juan Wilderness, who has missed 7 of the past 10 or so games due to a stress fracture.

Don't think this year will cost Lutz his job. He signed an extension after last season, he's the all-time winningest coach at Charlotte, and he's a UNCC grad as well. Getting rid of him would cost the school mucho bucks at a time when its focus is fundraisng for resurrecting the football program. Not to mention the fact is would probably result in the loss of top 150 signee 6-8 PF K. J. Sherrill (Rivals #78).

As for Coley, don't think he'll be transferring anywhere since this is his senior season!

Anyway, good win for the Billikens last night. Niners just find it extremely difficult to win in St. Louis.

9er-Thanks for the insight. If something has happened to Anderson's wife then I feel like a complete jerk. I was riding him pretty hard during the game.

Good to hear about Lutz, seems like a very likable character and great to hear he was an alum. Plus I love yelling his name.

As for Coley I could have sworn the PA announcer said Freshman but glad to hear. He is a highlight reel.

Do you think there will be a move to another football conference once the program gains strength? If so, how long do you think?

Ian AndersEn does the kiss thing as a homage to his wife. Actually nothing original for Charlotte as Diego Guevara did the same back during the Conference USA days. Anyway, Andersen is a streaky player, as he can go off for 21 points like he did against Clemson back in November then completely disappear and go scoreless as well.

BTW, Andersen is starting because there just aren't many bodies left this season. First, back-up PG Michael Gerrity quit the team after the Labor Day weekend trip to Toronto. Then top incoming SG frosh Shamarr Bowden blew out his knee before the official start of pratice in October. Bowden was the leading scorer for the Niners during those 3 exhibition games against Canadian colleges. Sophomore starting SG (and back-up PG after the loss of Gerrity) Charles Dewherst suffered his 2nd season-ending injury as a Niner during the 12th game of the season. Right now the back-up PG is a walk-on who up to now seldom saw any PT and didn't last night at all as DiJuan Harris played almost the entire game before fouling out near the end. And then there's starting SF An'Juan Wilderness, who has missed 7 of the past 10 or so games due to a stress fracture.

Don't think this year will cost Lutz his job. He signed an extension after last season, he's the all-time winningest coach at Charlotte, and he's a UNCC grad as well. Getting rid of him would cost the school mucho bucks at a time when its focus is fundraisng for resurrecting the football program. Not to mention the fact is would probably result in the loss of top 150 signee 6-8 PF K. J. Sherrill (Rivals #78).

As for Coley, don't think he'll be transferring anywhere since this is his senior season!

Anyway, good win for the Billikens last night. Niners just find it extremely difficult to win in St. Louis.

I hope Lutz is not fired. He's produced some very good teams in his tenure and it appears he's had a rough year due primarily to injuries. Hopefully with Sherrill and a healthy roster, he'll be able to right the ship next season. Good luck to you guys.

It was a good game. Willie and Kwamain are quickly emerging as major players. It's amazing what's starting to happen now that the guys are comfortable in the offense. It seems like we're running the same offense, but so much more is happening...the ball movement is great. I see some purpose on offense. And obviously, life is good when you hit shots!

One thing I didn't expect is Willie's moves in the post. I expected Brett to be the "skilled" big man while Willie was the quick athlete. Well, Willie is showing some nice stuff in the post. He's still skinny and has to improve, but some of his moves down low have been very productive. He's got that little pivot move that works real well and that up and under on the baseline. I can see why Rick is known as a big man coach.

More than anything, I think KM's comfort on offense has sparked this team. He is driving to the hole. He is penetrating and dishing. Everybody now seems to know where everybody is on offense and KM is taking full advantage of that.

Another guy that I think has really come along is Barry. I didn't want that kid in the game at the beginning of the season. Thought he was done. But I have to give Barry credit. I want him shooting that mid-range jumper all day long and he has been great in the post or at the top of the key. Still too many stupid fouls, but I think he should get some credit for his play lately. How many double digit scoring games is that now?

This team can run the table.

Do you think there will be a move to another football conference once the program gains strength? If so, how long do you think?

Right now, the plan is to begin FCS (aka I-AA) in 2013 at the earliest, then eventually move up to FBS. Not sure where the Niners will be conference-wise. The Colonial (formerly A-10) will have 14 football members with the additions of Georgia State and Old Dominion, so that's probably not a choice. The Southern would seem logical since not all of its schools play football (Charleston and UNC Greensboro don't and Davidson plays in the Pioneer), so we'd be a 10th member, albeit football-only. From what I've heard, though, the SoCon isn't interested in a football-only member. That probably leaves the Big South, which has 7 institutions playing football, including football-only member Stony Brook.

Anyway, initially football won't affect our A-10 affiliation for some time.

One thing I didn't expect is Willie's moves in the post. I expected Brett to be the "skilled" big man while Willie was the quick athlete. Well, Willie is showing some nice stuff in the post. He's still skinny and has to improve, but some of his moves down low have been very productive. He's got that little pivot move that works real well and that up and under on the baseline. I can see why Rick is known as a big man coach.

I thought Brett did a real nice job defensively and blocking out last night. His offense obviously needs some improvement, but he is making good progress in other areas.

The play of the game had to be the inbound dunk by Willie. If anyone can find it on Youtube please post. He is getting stronger around the rim also, he fought for some boards tonight.

That surpassed Maurice Jeffers' dunk to become one of the most unbelievable in Billiken history. The morons doing the charter broadcast didn't give us a replay. It seemed that the throw in was impossibly high. Then Willie just seems to float in and slam it home. I'm guessing Willie is at least part werewolf. My mouth is still hanging open. You tube? Anyone? Please?

I hope Lutz is not fired. He's produced some very good teams in his tenure and it appears he's had a rough year due primarily to injuries. Hopefully with Sherrill and a healthy roster, he'll be able to right the ship next season. Good luck to you guys.

Don't forget Lutz had a verbal commitment from Michael Beasley a couple years ago, when his AAU coach, Dalonte Hill, was an assitant there. Of course, Huggins and K-State came in and hired Hill away to lure Beasley there instead and the rest is history. Sure, Charlotte only would have had him one year but that's enough to have made a big difference at the program. Lutz and his staff are still good recruiters and they'll be back; this year is more an anomaly than the rule.

First, back-up PG Michael Gerrity quit the team after the Labor Day weekend trip to Toronto.

Runner, I was at the SLU-Charlotte game last year in Charlotte and I thought Gerrity just killed us. I hear he is still on campus. Any chance Gerrity and Lutz reconcile?

Agree, I don't feel they are going to fire Lutz. After that little flirt with So Alabama, they gave him a nice contract extension. Also, I think over the years he has been a very good coach for Charlotte.

anderson's problem last night was lisch made his life miserable. he did not like it when lisch guarded him. and when mitchell would go out and lisch would slide over to the little point guard, then tommie would guard him. so anderson just didnt have a chance.

what i liked about anderson is he was extremely supportive to his team. whenever he was out of the game he was like a cheerleader on the bench.

while injuries might be a contributing factor, sorry 49er fans, there is quite a bit of talent and athletic size on the team. granted no extra point guard, but the billikens would die for some of that inside athleticism and size. the fault of the charlotte season can only rest on lutz imo. there is no excuse for coming out and playing as disjointed as what i saw last nite imo. like the band's "hey baby" last night asked, "hey bobby, when you gonna go D-3?"

i too think the resurgence is because of mainly mitchell and reed stepping up. that has definitely gotten lisch breathing room. if you all notice, in the first half, mitchell was driving to the basket almost at will and the only help that would come was from the weakside big of charlotte. by then all they could do was foul and mitchell shot about 9 first half free throws. what should normally happen when mitchell goes down the side of the lane and has a step on his man is the strong side wing defender slides over to stop the ball. which in turn then would result in mitchell kicking out to the wing for a possible shot or a circle around the head of the key with a dribble.

that strongside wing defender was not helping. they were staying home on lisch and liddell and leaving the path open for mitchell. lisch zero points and i think 1 shot in the first half and i think liddell 5 points and 3 shots in the first half. but more importantly charlotte up 1.

so i guess lutz gets greedy, thinks, "ok i stop mitchell going down the lane now and i really got something."

result, lisch and liddell have great second halves. sorry lutz is the loser. somewhere in the last 10 years it seems this guy has regressed his x's and o's badly imo.

Thus far this season:

KL - turning it on.

TL - Steady Eddy

BE - Pleasant surprise, playing big

PE - Kind of getting phased out, as he should be, still plays hard

KM - Really taking control of this team, though I was surprised to see he had SEVEN turnovers last night. Needs to calm that down.

WR - Gets shoved around a lot and sometimes gets silly fouls, but blocks/changes TONS of shots and he dunks it ALL THE TIME

KC - Really looks like a smart player out there, plays the best defense that he can, going to be a big help next year. Shot is starting to fall

BC - Has kind of regressed or at least stagnated, needs to develop a solid 15-foot jump shot or pack on serious muscle

BT - VERY rough offensively, looks like a newborn colt out there, playing hard on defense, just needs time w/ Rick

FJ - kneecaps are STUPID

DL - hot sister.

O/WO (Other/walk-ons) - this ain't the team you want to be on for garbage time, sorry. :)

RC - f'ing crybaby quitter

I thought Brett did a real nice job defensively and blocking out last night. His offense obviously needs some improvement, but he is making good progress in other areas.

Absolutely. Didn't mean to insinuate otherwise. He had a real nice block on a fast break that was a result of some major hustle. He's obviously getting better and I think he is more athletic than he gets credit for sometimes. He just needs to get stronger and grow into that body a little more. I think he is still a little awkward. Completely expect the kid to be a force in the league for years to come.

Runner, I was at the SLU-Charlotte game last year in Charlotte and I thought Gerrity just killed us. I hear he is still on campus. Any chance Gerrity and Lutz reconcile?

Gerrity was on campus through the fall semester and is now back in California. At first he was going to transfer to a D-II school (either Biola in LA or Westmont in Santa Barbara), but the latest is he'll walk-on at USC after sitting out yet another year!

Link: USC Gets New Point Guard, for Next Year

One thing that really stands out in my mind was last night when Brett lost the ball on offense, hustled down the court, and blocked the shot on the other end. He is getting noticeably quicker and is showing much more confidence I think. Also, for those who said he was unhappy, he is ALWAYS the first person off the bench to congratulate or to get the team pumped up.

One thing that really stands out in my mind was last night when Brett lost the ball on offense, hustled down the court, and blocked the shot on the other end. He is getting noticeably quicker and is showing much more confidence I think. Also, for those who said he was unhappy, he is ALWAYS the first person off the bench to congratulate or to get the team pumped up.

Posters that have brought this up are generally trolls and have little inside info. While anything is possible, they're just guessing or trying to stir the pot.

The key to the game was when UNCC could not put us away in the first half. As usual we came out cold and brain dead - 10 trips down without a score. Once we woke up and closed the gap in the first half I figured it was all over and the Bills proved that by coming out very intense in the first 5 minutes of the second half. They not only scored but overwhelmed UNCC. Once they got the 16 point lead UNCC did not really have a chance.

That surpassed Maurice Jeffers' dunk to become one of the most unbelievable in Billiken history. The morons doing the charter broadcast didn't give us a replay. It seemed that the throw in was impossibly high. Then Willie just seems to float in and slam it home. I'm guessing Willie is at least part werewolf. My mouth is still hanging open. You tube? Anyone? Please?

I loved Willie's dunk last night but Jeffer's dunk was over somebody trying to take a charge. Willies was uncontested. Sloan's dunk on the Arizona center (Frye?) was nice too. Mo and Sloan will get my vote until Willie posterizes somebody.

The key to the game was when UNCC could not put us away in the first half. As usual we came out cold and brain dead - 10 trips down without a score. Once we woke up and closed the gap in the first half I figured it was all over and the Bills proved that by coming out very intense in the first 5 minutes of the second half. They not only scored but overwhelmed UNCC. Once they got the 16 point lead UNCC did not really have a chance.

Anybody else concerned that Majerus continue to go to the prevent offense to early in the 2nd half? It almost cost us to the game vs. Liberty and last night it could have gotten real scary if Charlotte had made some of those late threes. There is a fine line between shooting two early in the shot clock and staying aggresive but with about 6 minutes to go it seemed like we went into a stall. I'm all for buring some clock in those situations but do it while we are still looking to score...

Posters that have brought this up are generally trolls and have little inside info. While anything is possible, they're just guessing or trying to stir the pot.

- I sit close to the court and can watch closely all the inside play and I thought that was the most physical game of the year by far. The first half was extremely physical.

- The crowd last night was not the biggest, but I thought it was the best crowd of the year. I think the atmosphere was great the entire game. The crowd was aggressive towards Lutz and the refs from the beginning. I wish the whole student section was like the first 5-6 rows of students. They are great each and every game.

- Lutz is just one of those guys that makes himself easy to yell at. He is animated and kind of gets under your skin from the first minute. I do appreciate the extra few words he shared with both TL and KL after the game. That is pretty classy. I thought the Charlotte team overall were pretty good sports. They would play a very physical game but seemed generally concerned if one of our players went down.

- Charlotte has some absolutely incredible athletes. They were like grasshoppers jumping all over the place. Coley and Mack are very aggressive and physical.

- This season has been some of the most fun I can remember watching the Billikens. Sure, I would have liked to have played a tougher schedule and have some more wins, but watching all these freshman develop has really been fun and this team really seems to get along well.

- As mentioned, BT is a lot more athletic than given credit for. When he blocked that one shot, he ran down the court at the same speed as everybody else. It is really going to be fun to watch BT develop. He will do his part over the next few seasons and as mentioned, is very into the games and supportive of his teams both on and off the court. He's fun to watch.

- I'm glad the KL haters have disappeared. I guess they don't have much to say.

- I know there are some big games left and Dayton appears to be sold out, but I really hope there is a huge crowd for senior night. KL and TL need an ovation like no other. It's not often you get to watch (2) players all (4) years who contribute so much and both go down as some of the best Billikens ever. I certainly hope the late arrivals will get there early enough to cheer our seniors, they so deserve it.

- I have a new found interest in the Saintsations. The whole half time was kind of surreal. Those girls dunking the balls are very athletic and hats off to them for training for that and doing that. A lot has been said about the name, the uniforms, the talents, etc. - but in their first year hats off to the Saintsations. There are not many girls who would be willing to that and the last girl who jumped over the other (4) is incredibly athletic. The Sainsations also do a good job before the games walking the concourses posing for pictures, talking to people and the kids, and selling 50/50.

- The future is very bright if we continue to develop.

they couldnt/didnt put us away because one thing i will definitely give rickma is the billikens defend. they typically make good decisions on gambles and help and they work hard and especially work hard defensively away from the ball.

moser talked about it on the post game show and said how easy it is for an opponent, especially the bigs, to just give up when stuff is happening away from the ball defensively or offensively. i think rickma is a master at these little things that most fans dont even think about.

tonka, as to your baby blues (cant bring myself to calling them the lame name) comments on half time, while i appreciate how credible they performed the trampoline dunks, what i came away from that with was, 'wait a minute, if they could learn to do this messing around some nights after cheer/dance practice, how much of a rip off was the bud light dare devils?"

it definitely took the luster off of previous half time trampoline dunk shows for me.

that all said, i was a little concerned when the best baby blue dunker on her first flight almost ate the rim. that was too close.