Real home-court advantage

Porter Moser and Bob Ramsey are pumping up the Chaifetz mystique!

9,690! Good job, Bills fans.

Tonight's game ball goes to the SLU marketing department. They dropped the single game ticket prices, put together attractive game packages, and--most importantly--advertised this game on TV and radio all week. It showed, with walk-up lines out the door at game time. This was easily the best crowd of the year. (And kudos to the students for a great showing.)

The Chaifetz has finally given SLU a true home-court edge. Whoever decided to schedule this game for 8:00 p.m. CT should also get a game ball. That's got to be rough for an east coast team. As the second half is starting at 9 o'clock local time, their psyches are telling them it's 10 o'clock and time to start winding down. By the time the game is ending, they'd normally be preparing for bed, if not in it (unless they burn the midnight oil studying). But for the fact that, as a fan, I prefer start times of 6 or 7, perhaps the Bills should schedule all of their conference games to start at 8 p.m. (particularly on Saturdays) -- especially considering that ALL of their conference foes come from the Eastern Time Zone. But would they have been able to do that at Kielvistrade? I seriously doubt it.

And as for the crowd: (not even getting into the difference in the two buildings' capacities) why, oh why, didn't SLU join the Missouri Valley? :blink: Wouldn't a game against Evansville drawn at least 9,691? :)

The Chaifetz has finally given SLU a true home-court edge. Whoever decided to schedule this game for 8:00 p.m. CT should also get a game ball. That's got to be rough for an east coast team. As the second half is starting at 9 o'clock local time, their psyches are telling them it's 10 o'clock and time to start winding down. By the time the game is ending, they'd normally be preparing for bed, if not in it (unless they burn the midnight oil studying). But for the fact that, as a fan, I prefer start times of 6 or 7, perhaps the Bills should schedule all of their conference games to start at 8 p.m. (particularly on Saturdays) -- especially considering that ALL of their conference foes come from the Eastern Time Zone. But would they have been able to do that at Kielvistrade? I seriously doubt it.

And as for the crowd: (not even getting into the difference in the two buildings' capacities) why, oh why, didn't SLU join the Missouri Valley? :blink: Wouldn't a game against Evansville drawn at least 9,691? :)

Evans who? ;)

College kids and basketball players do not go to bed at 10PM, things are just getting started. Your not that old, don't you remember?

Thicks, are you serious? I don't know if anyone on my college floor ever went to bed before 1:00 or 2:00 a.m. on a weekend night. I agree it was a good start time for a Saturday night game, but only because an 8:00 start allows the students to get warmed up at the game before they hit the weekend bar scene that usually starts up sometime between 10:30 and 11:30.

College kids and basketball players do not go to bed at 10PM, things are just getting started. Your not that old, don't you remember?

Thicks, are you serious? I don't know if anyone on my college floor ever went to bed before 1:00 or 2:00 a.m. on a weekend night. I agree it was a good start time for a Saturday night game, but only because an 8:00 start allows the students to get warmed up at the game before they hit the weekend bar scene that usually starts up sometime between 10:30 and 11:30.

Perhaps I am "getting old." :unsure:

There's a difference between being up -- relaxed and unwinding -- and being in tip-top performance mode. I go roller skating every Friday night at 11 p.m., but if I don't take a nice long "nap" after work, I'd have no legs.

Perhaps I'm way off base on this, but I think there's a psychological advantage for any team hosting a team from a more easterly time zone the later the game is.

I wish we would have defeated Kent State to have an unbeaten record at home. Hopefully we can build up a dominant record at the Chaifetz, like we had in the early Kiel Center days.

We can still say that the Bills are undefeated IN REGULATION at the jewel of Midtown.

:unsure:

We have a dance team. We don't have cheer LEADERS. They are absent? Not wanted? Too expensive for 88m arena? Definitely NEEDED.

:lol:

I don't think cheerleaders make a difference one bit with the crowd getting into the game. The only time anyone ever got excited about what the cheerleaders were doing was when they were tossing out the balls.

Crowd still sucked and the top half of the student section was LAME!

Dude you're calling me lame that's where I was. Yes they weren't really cheering that loud but they were there. The guy that was lame was the dude sitting behind me that recounted his whole Christmas break hour by hour day by day and it wasn't really all that exciting. He went to Birmingham, AL by the way.

I was just kinda' soaking up the building for a while. Lots of flashing lights and stuff. I do like the four corners scoreboards. However, if you sit up high it is hard to read the stat banner on the opposite wall so I had to turn around and check the FG% and stuff.

It was way too quiet in the last minute or so of the game. Good atmosphere, otherwise.

I was thinking the same thing but the last minute had so much stoppage that it was hard to get excited about it.

As to your previous comment about the Sigma Chis. I think some are usually there, I understand they work concessions from time to time.

This is another benefit of the on campus arena student groups can work concessions and get a % for their organization.

I don't think cheerleaders make a difference one bit with the crowd getting into the game. The only time anyone ever got excited about what the cheerleaders were doing was when they were tossing out the balls.

I am relaying opinions of a cheerleading/dance team expert (my spouse). Anyway she is dissappointed that we only have a dance team as they aren't very good at cheering ie loud enough. She also thinks they aren't very good dancers. Who cheers while they are getting ready to dance? No one because they are it. However, she does like the uniforms as do I. Most Catholic schools have bad cheerleaders/dance teams so this probably will never change.

Also just to get really really deep into the weeds: The T-shirt gun must've been broken last night. Here's to you Mr. T-shirt gun inventor guy, an ice cold Bud Light.

And as for the crowd: (not even getting into the difference in the two buildings' capacities) why, oh why, didn't SLU join the Missouri Valley? :lol: Wouldn't a game against Evansville drawn at least 9,691? :rolleyes:

Thicks, do you really think college kids go to bed at 10 PM?

And as for the crowd: (not even getting into the difference in the two buildings' capacities) why, oh why, didn't SLU join the Missouri Valley? :lol: Wouldn't a game against Evansville drawn at least 9,691? :rolleyes:

Yes, the crowd is growing and we are likely on our way to a sellout before the year is over. But I do have one small issue about this. Since the game was on TV, I TIVOd it and watched the replay on Sunday morning. The way the primary TV camera is situated, about the only view of the crowd is of the front five or six rows behind the benches. And those seats were more than half empty! It would appear to a casual observer that the Bills don't have many fans, and the announcers never mentioned that there were almost 10,000 people there. SLU needs to find a way to fill those seats with some rabid fans so when a potential recruit sees us on TV, he knows how well this program is supported by the fans.

The way the primary TV camera is situated, about the only view of the crowd is of the front five or six rows behind the benches. And those seats were more than half empty! It would appear to a casual observer that the Bills don't have many fans, and the announcers never mentioned that there were almost 10,000 people there. SLU needs to find a way to fill those seats with some rabid fans so when a potential recruit sees us on TV, he knows how well this program is supported by the fans.

i'd move students over to them. at the first tv timeout, any open seat courtside is filled with students. any season tix holders go take the student's seat. maybe that would motivate some of the johnny come lately high roller's to get to the game on time and we solve those premium seats being empty at the same time.

no way i sell those seats to the general public unless it is an extreme price tag with it. the last thing we need is the casual fan with the mi$$ouri shirt sitting there quietly observing.

i'd move students over to them. at the first tv timeout, any open seat courtside is filled with students. any season tix holders go take the student's seat. maybe that would motivate some of the johnny come lately high roller's to get to the game on time and we solve those premium seats being empty at the same time.

no way i sell those seats to the general public unless it is an extreme price tag with it. the last thing we need is the casual fan with the mi$$ouri shirt sitting there quietly observing.

Yeah, I'm real sure they're going tell a ticketholder that drops 5 or 10 grand on tickets that they have to sit in the student section, because they came at the 16 minute mark of the first half.

I agree it would be nice if everyone came on time, but that doesn't happen anywhere in St. Louis.

The crowd sitting in those seats tends to be older so the walk from their cars may slow them down.

One thing that has suprised me is how well the parking works with a near capacity crowd. I expected more congestion and a scarcity of spaces. I have to wait in line a short time to get in the Lindell garage, but I get out of there in no time(and I never leave early).

I was waiting for someone to bash SLU fans for not coming on time for the game. There is constant complaints about people leaving early and yet I would think the bigger problem is people getting there late. This has been happening for years. I am not sure why people cannot get their on time. I am sure they have their reasons and each to their own. But, since we typically start off the games slow it would be nice to set the tone of an aggressive crowd from the very beginning.

I was waiting for someone to bash SLU fans for not coming on time for the game. There is constant complaints about people leaving early and yet I would think the bigger problem is people getting there late. This has been happening for years. I am not sure why people cannot get their on time. I am sure they have their reasons and each to their own. But, since we typically start off the games slow it would be nice to set the tone of an aggressive crowd from the very beginning.

Tonka. Believe you are right on with the late-arriving crowd. Personally, I have been a "late-arrriver" these past few years. Reasons are many, and I accept some of the blame, but I will say that when I did not have a wife and 2 small kids, I was always early and/or on-time. With my wife and 2 kids in tow, we arrived at the Chaveitz at 7:15 only to find out it was an 8 pm game. Shame on me, despite being late, for not logging-on to Shoe's website for the game time. Instead, I looked at the tickets, again noticed no game time, and arrived quite early.

Anyway, when the count-down clock to the game-time ran down to 0, I couldn't believe how many open seats there were. Then, after introductions, etc. still nowhere close to being full. Seats did not fill-up until after 7 or 8 minutes in to the game. I found this even more surprising since it would seem that an 8 pm game would be easier to reach than a 7 pm game.