For all the Guy Phillips fans out there...

Box and Won

Last night's game featured something I never thought I would ever hear...

Guy had to make a "correction" when introducing the national anthem.

"Please rise and gentlemen, please remove your hats for the singing of our national anthem. Correction, there is no national anthem."

Classic stuff.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the title of this thread, as if any of his fans were on this board. I think they're out there right now, driving their sad cars to their sad jobs, listening to a radio "personality" who only delivers anything humorous on accident.

I have yet to attend a game at another gym in the country with a worse PA than Guy.

Guest BillikenReport

I love the title of this thread, as if any of his fans were on this board. I think they're out there right now, driving their sad cars to their sad jobs, listening to a radio "personality" who only delivers anything humorous on accident.

I have yet to attend a game at another gym in the country with a worse PA than Guy.

My favorite was probably him calling Kent State "Golden State" earlier this year.

-i don't think guy is horrible all the time, but he has his moments

-are you sure it was his mistake on the announcement about the Anthem?

-i understand he said the words, but i would believe he only reads what he is given, and whoever gave him the script and timing for everything last night did a not so good job

-now, if that is his responsibility, squarely on his shoulders

My feeling is that Guy comes to the game, sits down, does not look at any notes on the game, who we are playing (Golden State) or the roster and goes through the motions. He tries to jump the gun on announcing fouls - (example at the Braggin Rights, a charge was called on Mizzou, he had already announce a person foul on Illinois with team fouls and then his famous words came out, CORRECTION!)

He is trying to get everyone to stand up for the tip off, which is nice.

As for the anthem, some responsibility needs to go the game day staff - the PA, teams and refs should of been told no anthem before player introductions due to the doubleheader.

-i understand he said the words, but i would believe he only reads what he is given, and whoever gave him the script and timing for everything last night did a not so good job

I'm sorry I just don't get the Guy bashing on this board. Went to the womens game ,now that PA individual was bad. Guy has a good voice,a sense of humor,and seems to be a good fan. My guess is he is handed a script by the athletic dept. which called for the national anthem. If that is the case I thought he handled it pretty well. Sure he makes mistakes but I'll take Guy over the deadpan Mike Owens this board seems to adore.

Last night's game featured something I never thought I would ever hear...

Guy had to make a "correction" when introducing the national anthem.

"Please rise and gentlemen, please remove your hats for the singing of our national anthem. Correction, there is no national anthem."

Classic stuff.

I'm not a Guy fan (nor do I hate him with the vigor many around here do) but how was that his fault? Both teams were lined up waiting for the anthem too. most of the fans had already stood before Guy made his announcement. That was game day management in my opinion.

Now maybe Guy could have improvised and asked the band to play it, but that would have put them in a tough position to play a song with no advance notice.

This one is much more on the game day staff than Guy - if they weren't going to sing the anthem (having already done it before the women's game), they should have let him know. I just thought that, despite years of "corrections," I'd never actually hear one during the introduction of the anthem.

That having been said, Guy sux.

I'm not a Guy fan or a Guy hater, he does make alot of mistakes though. Worse than Guy though is whoever operates the scoreboard. We absolutely never, ever have the right info on the board or the stats. Hell half the time we don't even show the correct players in the game. Last night they showed the wrong stats for Tommie at the line twice. At least the pic was right.

We noticed the randomness of Tommie's FT stats as well. The whole thing is symptomatic of just not giving a damn about the details of putting on a professional event. Phillips isn't the worst PA announcer ever, but he clearly has only a passing knowledge of basketball and makes many mistakes because of it. Plus, over the years, he's been disrespectful to participants in half-time entertainment, contests, etc. -- not something that would be tolerated by a professional event-management staff.

Add in the phantom national anthem (what, there's a rule against playing it twice, especially when the first game had 5,000 fewer people and a different opposing team there?) and stuff like the "complementary" dessert club members can get at Lorenzini's -- and the moronic dance contest, where three people dance but they never manage to get the audience voting done -- and you've got a ticky-tacky operation that reflects poorly on our university. And it just isn't that hard to do this kind of stuff correctly.

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- we are one day going to lose a game because of the errors made by the scorers' table staff. Somebody's going to mis-set the shot clock or misallocate fouls and it's going to lead to a game-changing error.

I'm not a Guy fan or a Guy hater, he does make alot of mistakes though. Worse than Guy though is whoever operates the scoreboard. We absolutely never, ever have the right info on the board or the stats. Hell half the time we don't even show the correct players in the game. Last night they showed the wrong stats for Tommie at the line twice. At least the pic was right.

The scoreboard operator is not the same one who does the stats; he'd only have the clock, game score, time outs left, and team fouls. The clock operators are monitored by the officials during the game.

Whoever is in charge of keeping track of the substitutions, player points, and player fouls is always slow and wrong. This is not an officially monitored function because it is not crucial to game play.

I also don't know why they'd be asking the scoreboard and/or shot clock operators to give them 30 seconds for the time out contests; they have to keep the clocks where they are during timeouts because they are official timekeepers. The marketing people should be doing that themselves and chances are it is the student with the microphone who is being the idiot.

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- we are one day going to lose a game because of the errors made by the scorers' table staff. Somebody's going to mis-set the shot clock or misallocate fouls and it's going to lead to a game-changing error.

I am friends with the individual who runs the game clock at the games so I guess I have to chime in here. I go to most of the games and actually look forward to calling him out if there is ever anything that seems potentially his fault, but there have been no mistakes on his part in the games I have been to. His brother does the shot clock and I remember there was one game where there was a couple of shot clock issues, but I think that happens every where. My buddy said Majerus actually met with them to discuss the issue after that game. The official time and score information is completely separate from what is shown on the stat boards, I asked him if he controlled that and he said he has no idea who does that. I have full trust that those guys will not mess up. I am assuming you will not find a game clock operator in the country with a more impressive resume.

I also don't know why they'd be asking the scoreboard and/or shot clock operators to give them 30 seconds for the time out contests; they have to keep the clocks where they are during timeouts because they are official timekeepers. The marketing people should be doing that themselves and chances are it is the student with the microphone who is being the idiot.

-i am not that worried with timing the contests, but i am worried about the perception of the program being anything but first class, so we just built an $80mil bldg and we are to believe that the scoreboards can't do a 30 second or however long countdown clock for a contest without impacting the officail game time?!?!? give me a break

-if this is the case, it then explains the quality of the blue victory light

I sit very close to where he sits and I can tell you that he had a paper in front of him that he obviously had not bothered to read that told him that the anthem had already been sung before the woman's game so there would not be a second anthem. As he was telling everyone to stand, a person told him to look at the paper he had been given earlier and he looked at it and said never mind. I think the guy is an idiot!

-i am not that worried with timing the contests, but i am worried about the perception of the program being anything but first class, so we just built an $80mil bldg and we are to believe that the scoreboards can't do a 30 second or however long countdown clock for a contest without impacting the officail game time?!?!? give me a break

-if this is the case, it then explains the quality of the blue victory light

I am assuming that would have been fine had the girl who was running the clock been aware that they were going to be needing her to put a certain amount of time on the shot clock. It was pretty clear that the girl running the clock was preoccupied when the girl on the court kept asking for 30 seconds. The timeout activities seemed extremely sloppy last night.

I am friends with the individual who runs the game clock at the games so I guess I have to chime in here. I go to most of the games and actually look forward to calling him out if there is ever anything that seems potentially his fault, but there have been no mistakes on his part in the games I have been to. His brother does the shot clock and I remember there was one game where there was a couple of shot clock issues, but I think that happens every where. My buddy said Majerus actually met with them to discuss the issue after that game. The official time and score information is completely separate from what is shown on the stat boards, I asked him if he controlled that and he said he has no idea who does that. I have full trust that those guys will not mess up. I am assuming you will not find a game clock operator in the country with a more impressive resume.

I've done -- at the high-school level -- some scorekeeping and timekeeping. As the timekeeper, you are one of the officials, and your primary crucial responsibility is to accurately keep the time. You have to watch the officials meticulously. When the arm goes down, the clock starts. When the whistle blows, the clock stops. The officials have told me that the response time should be within a second, though I like to be instant. It's not a difficult job, but it does require attention. The second responsibility is to alert the officials to substitutions. The third responsibility is to track the length of the timeouts. Usually the console can be programmed to handle that. Yes, the the timekeeper also puts the score and fouls on the board, but the scorekeeper keeps track of those. If the timekeeper makes an error, while it's true the crowd (and sometimes even the coaches) will get on his or her case, it's not that big of a deal because the official score is in the book. The timekeeper can consult with the scorekeeper to be sure everything is correct, and if their are any issues, the officials on the floor will consult with the scorekeeper and allow the timekeeper to get the correct information on the board.

Scorekeeping is a little more challenging, but the crowd doesn't react to anything the scorekeeper does because they don't know.

As for the statistical information, I've kept that information (it's separate from the aforementioned duties), but only on paper, never electronically. I have no idea how the arena scoreboard operates in that regard. That's a lot of information to input.

The consolidated point being: It isn't the shot clock operator and the time clock operator and the P.A. announcer and the producer of the scoreboard ads and the keeper of the courtside-banner statistics and the national anthem singer and the in-game promotions talent. It's the Saint Louis University athletic department. Good managers manage. There's no excuse for having a couple dozen independent "silos" where no one is accountable for an overall product that reflects poorly on the professionalism of the University.

The consolidated point being: It isn't the shot clock operator and the time clock operator and the P.A. announcer and the producer of the scoreboard ads and the keeper of the courtside-banner statistics and the national anthem singer and the in-game promotions talent. It's the Saint Louis University athletic department. Good managers manage. There's no excuse for having a couple dozen independent "silos" where no one is accountable for an overall product that reflects poorly on the professionalism of the University.

How professional can it be when they have to sell 50-50 raffle tickets to raise money? That's about as grassroots as it gets.

I've done -- at the high-school level -- some scorekeeping and timekeeping. As the timekeeper, you are one of the officials, and your primary crucial responsibility is to accurately keep the time. You have to watch the officials meticulously. When the arm goes down, the clock starts. When the whistle blows, the clock stops. The officials have told me that the response time should be within a second, though I like to be instant. It's not a difficult job, but it does require attention. The second responsibility is to alert the officials to substitutions. The third responsibility is to track the length of the timeouts. Usually the console can be programmed to handle that. Yes, the the timekeeper also puts the score and fouls on the board, but the scorekeeper keeps track of those. If the timekeeper makes an error, while it's true the crowd (and sometimes even the coaches) will get on his or her case, it's not that big of a deal because the official score is in the book. The timekeeper can consult with the scorekeeper to be sure everything is correct, and if their are any issues, the officials on the floor will consult with the scorekeeper and allow the timekeeper to get the correct information on the board.

Scorekeeping is a little more challenging, but the crowd doesn't react to anything the scorekeeper does because they don't know.

As for the statistical information, I've kept that information (it's separate from the aforementioned duties), but only on paper, never electronically. I have no idea how the arena scoreboard operates in that regard. That's a lot of information to input.

Are you saying it's not or shouldn't be a big deal to the coaches that the scoreboard is correct?

Are you saying it's not or shouldn't be a big deal to the coaches that the scoreboard is correct?

No. I'm saying that mistakes do sometimes occur, but they are correctable, and it's not necessary to threaten the timekeeper's life. It's probably not even necessary to threaten the timekeeper's job, provided it's just an occasional mistake, rather than general incompetence.

The only point I was making was that the clock operators and official scorer have nothing to do with those stat boards that are consistently wrong. I was mostly defending them because I know two of the guys that typically do the game clock and shot clock and they do a nice job. The running stats are awful and I can see why people would complain about it, but nobody seems to really know who controls that. The clock operators and official scorer are an extension of the refs so if they were not doing their job properly I am assuming the refs would say something to the athletic department. They are being held accountable by the referees not Kosha or anyone else within the athletic department.