For all the Guy Phillips fans out there...

Box and Won

I'm sorry I just don't get the Guy bashing on this board. Went to the womens game ,now that PA individual was bad. Guy has a good voice,a sense of humor,and seems to be a good fan. My guess is he is handed a script by the athletic dept. which called for the national anthem. If that is the case I thought he handled it pretty well. Sure he makes mistakes but I'll take Guy over the deadpan Mike Owens this board seems to adore.

Guy is absolutely horrible. He doesn't have any sense of humor whatsoever. His attempts at humor make me sick. How about John Ulett? The Cards don't do anything in the winter.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only point I was making was that the clock operators and official scorer have nothing to do with those stat boards that are consistently wrong. I was mostly defending them because I know two of the guys that typically do the game clock and shot clock and they do a nice job. The running stats are awful and I can see why people would complain about it, but nobody seems to really know who controls that. The clock operators and official scorer are an extension of the refs so if they were not doing their job properly I am assuming the refs would say something to the athletic department. They are being held accountable by the referees not Kosha or anyone else within the athletic department.

I can't recall any mistakes by the game clock operator. However, during one game this year, the refs had to disrupt the actual flow of the game to correct errant shot-clock setting. I don't recall ever seeing that happen in a college game.

Further, the point I was making is that all of these people are chosen and employed by the Saint Louis University athletic department. The sheer aggregate number of errors across all disciplines should be causing someone in the athletic department to crack down and demand a higher standard of performance.

I sit very close to where he sits and I can tell you that he had a paper in front of him that he obviously had not bothered to read that told him that the anthem had already been sung before the woman's game so there would not be a second anthem. As he was telling everyone to stand, a person told him to look at the paper he had been given earlier and he looked at it and said never mind. I think the guy is an idiot!

Then why did both teams line up for the national anthem? Hmmmm.....

By the way, if Guy is an idiot, he is one pretty damn successful idiot. I love how so many people on this board will rip on people and call them idiots, but do not think about the overall success of the individual. I mean, c'mon, Guy Phillips is an "idiot"? Really? I can tell you that his show commands TOP dollar for advertising so he must be doing something very effectively.

Nothing against you, Billikan, but I think stating Guy is an "idiot" is over the top.

I like Guy and think he does a great job. He tries to get the crowd into the game and he has a sense of humor. Owens is probably a nice guy, but he has a voice like gravel and he adds nothing to the game. I guess I'll just drive my sad car to my sad job and sit in my sad Chaifetz seats and enjoy the game. Now that I think about it, I think I'll take my sad car and sad job and sad seats over about 99% of everyone else's....

The consolidated point being: It isn't the shot clock operator and the time clock operator and the P.A. announcer and the producer of the scoreboard ads and the keeper of the courtside-banner statistics and the national anthem singer and the in-game promotions talent. It's the Saint Louis University athletic department. Good managers manage. There's no excuse for having a couple dozen independent "silos" where no one is accountable for an overall product that reflects poorly on the professionalism of the University.

I do not think you are being realistic. I have never understood, on empirical grounds, your fixation with ALL of SLU's management - whether it is Biondi or the athletic department. You have managed businesses. Can you really say that everything under you always went perfectly? You never had a lower level manager screw something up or an employee not follow instructions? C'mon, that is just not realistic.

Overall, SLU is a rising University in so many facets. Does the University make mistakes? Well of course they do, who doesn't? Judge the school on the totality of their efforts and ACCOMPLISHMENTS (campus, arena, luring Majerus, rankings, etc.), not the inevitable screw ups that are bound to happen.

I really think you need to get involved with the school, get on some boards, voice your opinion to people who matter, not a bunch of us schmucks on an internet board. 95% of the posters on this board have zero say on what goes on at SLU, but if you get involved, you can definitely have a voice and the school is always looking for people to get involved.

I do not think you are being realistic. I have never understood, on empirical grounds, your fixation with ALL of SLU's management - whether it is Biondi or the athletic department. You have managed businesses. Can you really say that everything under you always went perfectly? You never had a lower level manager screw something up or an employee not follow instructions? C'mon, that is just not realistic.

Overall, SLU is a rising University in so many facets. Does the University make mistakes? Well of course they do, who doesn't? Judge the school on the totality of their efforts and ACCOMPLISHMENTS (campus, arena, luring Majerus, rankings, etc.), not the inevitable screw ups that are bound to happen.

I really think you need to get involved with the school, get on some boards, voice your opinion to people who matter, not a bunch of us schmucks on an internet board. 95% of the posters on this board have zero say on what goes on at SLU, but if you get involved, you can definitely have a voice and the school is always looking for people to get involved.

Who is this bonwich character? Some grumpy old man? You mention he has managed businesses and should be on the board in some capacity?

I can't recall any mistakes by the game clock operator. However, during one game this year, the refs had to disrupt the actual flow of the game to correct errant shot-clock setting. I don't recall ever seeing that happen in a college game.

Further, the point I was making is that all of these people are chosen and employed by the Saint Louis University athletic department. The sheer aggregate number of errors across all disciplines should be causing someone in the athletic department to crack down and demand a higher standard of performance.

I cannot imagine that is the first game you have ever been to where there was a clock issue that required a stoppage of play so the referees and clock operators could discuss the issue and come to the correct decision.

I think he's talking about the small details. We all agree Chaifitz, Majerus, etc.... are all fantastic, but it doesn't make sense to overlook the small details when you are making the kind of investment SLU is making. For example the scoreboard, this wasn't a one time thing. It's literally been wrong throughout the game, every game, for over 10 years. How hard can it be? I've been to probably 1000 college or pro sporting events in my life and can't ever remember seeing one wrong and I see it wrong at SLU every game at least 10 times, ad that's not an exageration. I know you like Guy, but how hard would it be to prepare a bit and at least pronounce the names right. The Nachos I had at the first game were so bad it was stupid, was there no prep before the 1st game? Not everyone is a big time SLU booster, we need all fans to have a good total game experience and want to keep returning. The small details count, an occassional mistake is one thing, but to not correct the ones that continue to happen over games and years is confusing.

Who is this bonwich character? Some grumpy old man? You mention he has managed businesses and should be on the board in some capacity?

Joe Bonwich is a food critic for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. I don't know whether he has managed businesses or not; I suspect AlumniFan was confusing him with billikan.

Joe Bonwich is a food critic for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. I don't know whether he has managed businesses or not; I suspect AlumniFan was confusing him with billikan.

AlumniFan is not easily confused. He is aware of my past life. :lol: (In any event, I would be proud to be confused with Billikan, one of the most ardent supporters on this board.)

Skip summed up my feelings perfectly. Here's another example: A couple games ago, when it was about 20 degrees and with a strong wind, there was precisely one turnstile set up at the entrance directly perpendicular to Compton. (There were three on the one that's one a diagonal on Compton towards Lindell.

When we got there, there were at least 25 people lined up outside the door in the freezing cold, and they were making some pretty nasty comments towards the U. Good management would have detected this and got another turnstile running immediately.

Of course, I'm usually accused of just bitching and not getting involved -- but I immediately went one exit door over, told an usher of the problem -- and he at least went over and dragged about 15-20 patrons to the other door to get them in more quickly. An interim and inefficient solution, but one that worked.

And AlumniFan, you of all of us know that this board gets read by people who can make changes. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the moral suasion aspect of this board is much stronger than any individual calling in to make suggestions to someone in the athletic dept.

AlumniFan is not easily confused. He is aware of my past life. :lol: (In any event, I would be proud to be confused with Billikan, one of the most ardent supporters on this board.)

Skip summed up my feelings perfectly. Here's another example: A couple games ago, when it was about 20 degrees and with a strong wind, there was precisely one turnstile set up at the entrance directly perpendicular to Compton. (There were three on the one that's one a diagonal on Compton towards Lindell.

When we got there, there were at least 25 people lined up outside the door in the freezing cold, and they were making some pretty nasty comments towards the U. Good management would have detected this and got another turnstile running immediately.

Of course, I'm usually accused of just bitching and not getting involved -- but I immediately went one exit door over, told an usher of the problem -- and he at least went over and dragged about 15-20 patrons to the other door to get them in more quickly. An interim and inefficient solution, but one that worked.

And AlumniFan, you of all of us know that this board gets read by people who can make changes. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the moral suasion aspect of this board is much stronger than any individual calling in to make suggestions to someone in the athletic dept.

It sounds like you guys are all fairly involved alumns and not just kicking dirt on the athletic department, so I would have to say that I admire your desire to have things as first class as possible in every aspect. Maybe it would be worthwhile to gather as many critiques or areas of improvement as possible and forward it on to those within the athletic department. Coming from you guys, I would hope it would carry some weight.

Bonwich, did you hear what happened to Trattoria Marcella a couple of weeks back?

I think he's talking about the small details. We all agree Chaifitz, Majerus, etc.... are all fantastic, but it doesn't make sense to overlook the small details when you are making the kind of investment SLU is making. For example the scoreboard, this wasn't a one time thing. It's literally been wrong throughout the game, every game, for over 10 years. How hard can it be? I've been to probably 1000 college or pro sporting events in my life and can't ever remember seeing one wrong and I see it wrong at SLU every game at least 10 times, ad that's not an exageration. I know you like Guy, but how hard would it be to prepare a bit and at least pronounce the names right. The Nachos I had at the first game were so bad it was stupid, was there no prep before the 1st game? Not everyone is a big time SLU booster, we need all fans to have a good total game experience and want to keep returning. The small details count, an occassional mistake is one thing, but to not correct the ones that continue to happen over games and years is confusing.

I agree with you on the food. It is definitely not something Bonwich or anyone else would recommend. That frustrates me too. One thing that I found that was actually really good was the Volpi Salsiccia with peppers. Very tasty. Problem is you need two (or three) of them to fill you up. Small details are important, but, again, the University is overseeing a HUGE operation and the arena is a new and, I would guess, challenging management issue. My guess is that it will continue to get better and the food will likely improve. E-mail the athletic department with your concerns. They NEED to hear it.

I went in there on Christmas Eve to get a gift certificate for my parents and they were doing repairs and I actually had to go in thru the loading area. I spoke with the owner and he was telling me what happened and about the significant damage done to the upstairs area. Apparently it was a young adult driving a truck at 3:00 in the morning on the wrong side of the street and he hit the light poll in front of the restaurant and it fell directly into the building near the front entrance. What a terrible time to have something like that happen. I try to support the local south city restaurants as much as possible now that so many of them are struggling (one of my favorites the Pitted Olive closed not too long ago and I head Off the Vine was closing as well).

Then why did both teams line up for the national anthem? Hmmmm.....

By the way, if Guy is an idiot, he is one pretty damn successful idiot. I love how so many people on this board will rip on people and call them idiots, but do not think about the overall success of the individual. I mean, c'mon, Guy Phillips is an "idiot"? Really? I can tell you that his show commands TOP dollar for advertising so he must be doing something very effectively.

Nothing against you, Billikan, but I think stating Guy is an "idiot" is over the top.

I like Guy and think he does a great job. He tries to get the crowd into the game and he has a sense of humor. Owens is probably a nice guy, but he has a voice like gravel and he adds nothing to the game. I guess I'll just drive my sad car to my sad job and sit in my sad Chaifetz seats and enjoy the game. Now that I think about it, I think I'll take my sad car and sad job and sad seats over about 99% of everyone else's....

The problems with Guy are three fold.

He doesn't prepare for the games. There was no excuse for him not to be able to properly pronounce multiple Billiken players names at the beginning of the season. He is getting paid for this and that just shows he doesn't care.

His radio audience doesn't translate to Billiken fans. 30's to middle age woman don't make up much of the Billiken ticket base. He may sell the hell out of pasta on the radio, but that doesn't mean he is the right guy for the job.

He has a tendency to come of as a jerk. There is little excuse for his put downs of people during the contests.

He doesn't prepare for the games. There was no excuse for him not to be able to properly pronounce multiple Billiken players names at the beginning of the season. He is getting paid for this and that just shows he doesn't care.

His radio audience doesn't translate to Billiken fans. 30's to middle age woman don't make up much of the Billiken ticket base. He may sell the hell out of pasta on the radio, but that doesn't mean he is the right guy for the job.

He has a tendency to come of as a jerk. There is little excuse for his put downs of people during the contests.

add a fouth, it is pretty obvious he doesnt know much about basketball. there are times he is speechless because he doesnt understand what is going on.

4- He is a GIANT douchebag. There is little that is worse than a talentless hack who thinks he is funny with a microphone.

add a fouth, it is pretty obvious he doesnt know much about basketball. there are times he is speechless because he doesnt understand what is going on.

True. He doesn't even have a basic understanding of the game. It is amazing that with all the games he has done he has not picked up anything. That is just another sign he doesn't care. It is just a paycheck for him. He doesn't feel a need to improve at it because as long as one booster has his back he will always have this paycheck.

I try to support the local south city restaurants as much as possible now that so many of them are struggling (one of my favorites the Pitted Olive closed not too long ago and I head Off the Vine was closing as well).

Check out Stellina Pasta on Watson. I absolutely love that place. In addition to having really good, homemade pasta, their sandwiches are great as well.

Are you serious? Have you ever listened to Guy's radio show?

So Guy is successful....ok....so is Brittany Spears. I've known Brittany Spaniels with better minds than either of them. Idiocy has never been a deterrent to success, certainly not in the entertainment industry.

I'm disappointed in you AF. This might be your worst argument ever.

a few of our esteemed members like willie and alumnifan have made mention they think he is funny. i dont think funny should be the main qualification to be a pa announcer, however if you want some quips and such during key moments, i doubt that guy has that skill patented. there are plenty of other folks in st louis that could carry that skill and probably do a better job as well.

time to move on. guy has had about 15 years of charity now find someone new and better.

a few of our esteemed members like willie and alumnifan have made mention they think he is funny. i dont think funny should be the main qualification to be a pa announcer, however if you want some quips and such during key moments, i doubt that guy has that skill patented. there are plenty of other folks in st louis that could carry that skill and probably do a better job as well.

time to move on. guy has had about 15 years of charity now find someone new and better.

I was always under the impression that the PA person's job was to announce important aspects of the game like who fouled who for example not be Henny Youngman. Do you really think the PA announcer at the Cards games would get away with making jokes during the game and poking fun at fans who find themselves picked for some dumb contest? - I doubt it.

Check out Stellina Pasta on Watson. I absolutely love that place. In addition to having really good, homemade pasta, their sandwiches are great as well.

I liked the food at Stellina, but was unimpressed with their service. The stoned waiter screwed up the bill and the manager said she didn't have time to deal with it. I can't say that I'll go back.

Are you serious? Have you ever listened to Guy's radio show?

So Guy is successful....ok....so is Brittany Spears. I've known Brittany Spaniels with better minds than either of them. Idiocy has never been a deterrent to success, certainly not in the entertainment industry.

I'm disappointed in you AF. This might be your worst argument ever.

So you are arguing that Brittney Spears and Guy Phillips are the same...? And you are critical of MY argument? :rolleyes: Wow - now that is out there.

The PA announcer should be one of the sports talk radio guys who are trying to work their way into a regular gig. This way you get a guy who is committed to the job and will be more knowledgeable about SLU basketball when he is on the radio. There are several of these guys floating around they usually end up doing the Saturday shows or fill in when a big name guy is on vacation or whatever. Guy Phillips brings nothing of value to the program as it relates to those who we need to be supporting it. If he was committed to the job he would at least read the memos he is given prior to opening his pie hole.