12-30-08 GDT: MD-B.C. + POSTGAME DISCUSSION.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to make an observation from tonight's game that will probably get me attacked by some posters: Kevin Lisch is a really poor passer. My seats are in the corner. In Majerus's offense, one of the guards frequently receives the ball in the corner with the option to shoot, penetrate, pass to the low post, pass to the high post, or swing the ball back out to the point. For whatever reason, tonight's game plan called for the ball to be fed to the low and high post. There must have been a half dozen times tonight that I watched Kevin receive the ball in the corner where I sit and either show an unwillingness or inability to feed the man with good position in the high or low post. I also watched Cassity, Mitchell, Liddell, and even Conklin and Thompson make a good pass in the same situation that led to a high percentage shot. Even worse, I noticed two occasions in which Kevin penetrated and badly missed a low percentage shot when he had an open man to pass to as a result of a double-team. I am not concerned about Kevin's 1 for whatever shooting performance because he is a good shooter and shooting is by nature streaky; I am concerned about his inability to quickly distribute the ball to the open man in the post.

Nope. Listening on 101.1 ESPN radio. I'm a poor substitute teacher/grad student. I can't afford tickets or all-access subscriptions (not that my 400 mHz computer would make it profitable). Bills win 81-60.

Hicks: Be sure to post for days you don't have tix. (You do get to some games, don't you?) We had two extras tonight (albeit last-minute) -- and we'd be happy to have you sit with us. I'm sure that most of the board feels the same way.

I am going to make an observation from tonight's game that will probably get me attacked by some posters: Kevin Lisch is a really poor passer. My seats are in the corner. In Majerus's offense, one of the guards frequently receives the ball in the corner with the option to shoot, penetrate, pass to the low post, pass to the high post, or swing the ball back out to the point. For whatever reason, tonight's game plan called for the ball to be fed to the low and high post. There must have been a half dozen times tonight that I watched Kevin receive the ball in the corner where I sit and either show an unwillingness or inability to feed the man with good position in the high or low post. I also watched Cassity, Mitchell, Liddell, and even Conklin and Thompson make a good pass in the same situation that led to a high percentage shot. Even worse, I noticed two occasions in which Kevin penetrated and badly missed a low percentage shot when he had an open man to pass to as a result of a double-team. I am not concerned about Kevin's 1 for whatever shooting performance because he is a good shooter and shooting is by nature streaky; I am concerned about his inability to quickly distribute the ball to the open man in the post.

KL definitely had a bad hand or fingers; middle of the game he missed a FT and the ball was spinning left to right; later he made six in a row but either concentration, defense or hurt hands gave him a poor game and guess what he and everyone else contributed so well that we won this game that could have been an acceptable loss at home

-what a fun game to attend (i'll refrain from any comments about whoever was trying to run the non ball parts of the game, wow, maybe the regular person was home for the holidays)

-there were more than spurts tonight of the Blls looking like we knew what we were doing

-the key is to follow it up against UNC.................A&T

-Willie, say no more

-not sure why BT did not get more clock, his minutes tonight were productive imo, i wanted to see some more

-contributions from everyone and some timely stops and baskets to not allow the lead to go under 10pts and rick i think put the team to the test a few times when it got to a 10 point game and he could have called to's but he let the guys on the floor respond and they did, a potentially great sign

-we scored 81 points with KL having 1 fg and a poor team 3pt fg%, you could have owned my house as i would have never bet on that being possible

-grow from this one guys, follow it up with the next one, and the next one, and so on.....

I made the same observation at the game tonight actually. In the past, when surrounded with inferior players, it wasn't as noticeable. Now, however, after seeing him compared to some guys comparable in talent (or even more talented than him), his sub-par court vision is becoming apparent. On a lot of his drives, he buries his head and gets himself in some jams with no real good way out. He would be much more effective on those drives if he were able to see guys flashing on the baselines or standing on the perimeter for the kick-out. I rarely see this from him. Also, when running the point, there are several times tonight I noticed where he'd miss a cutter down low, or a mismatch. By the time he would see it, that opportunity for an easy basket was already gone.

TL and KM in particular are always seemingly a step ahead of the play. A great example is tonight when Tommie on a drive was able to give a no look dish to Willie (I think?) trailing the play and cutting down the middle of the key. Tommie always has his head up when slashing to the basket.

Nark I'll join in on the criticism with you... His defense was terrible tonight. He got crossed over so many times I lost track. He was repeatedly beat to the hole, and I couldn't believe it was the same Kevin. That tailbone still has to be bothering him. On the plus side, he has a bad game but the bills played so well I didn't notice his lack of offense until I looked up with about 10 mins left in the game and realized he hadn't scored yet.

Nark I'll join in on the criticism with you... His defense was terrible tonight. He got crossed over so many times I lost track. He was repeatedly beat to the hole, and I couldn't believe it was the same Kevin. That tailbone still has to be bothering him. On the plus side, he has a bad game but the bills played so well I didn't notice his lack of offense until I looked up with about 10 mins left in the game and realized he hadn't scored yet.

you guys are trying to ruin someone's new year eve

i expect a full out counter attack at any moment

you guys are trying to ruin someone's new year eve

i expect a full out counter attack at any moment

I like Kevin a lot and think he is a very good player. However, the more I critique his game the more I think he is best suited as a complimentary player rather than the go-to guy on offense. Since Ian has graduated, Kevin has been forced into the go-to-guy role, which is why I believe he has struggled at times. There are two reasons for my belief: (1) Kevin does not do a good job creating offense for his teammates or quickly moving the ball within the offensive structure, and (2) Kevin struggles to get good shots when he is the focus of the other team's defense. By contrast, when teammates are creating space and opportunites, Kevin is the perfect guy to hit the open shot or penetrate through an open space.

He was according to people I know in the AD. Don't know his name, but I was told he's around 6'7"

Ladies and gentleman... WE GOT HIM. *Queue the village people knocking down the statue of the dictator*

If he doesn't come after that game he's not coming.

Ladies and gentleman... WE GOT HIM. *Queue the village people knocking down the statue of the dictator*

If he doesn't come after that game he's not coming.

We played a great game but I was hoping there would be more students there to give it a better atmosphere. I was actually surprised by the turnout last night especially on a Tuesday night verus Balitmore County. Hopefully Cody enjoyed himself.

I like Kevin a lot and think he is a very good player. However, the more I critique his game the more I think he is best suited as a complimentary player rather than the go-to guy on offense. Since Ian has graduated, Kevin has been forced into the go-to-guy role, which is why I believe he has struggled at times. There are two reasons for my belief: (1) Kevin does not do a good job creating offense for his teammates or quickly moving the ball within the offensive structure, and (2) Kevin struggles to get good shots when he is the focus of the other team's defense. By contrast, when teammates are creating space and opportunites, Kevin is the perfect guy to hit the open shot or penetrate through an open space.

I agree with what you are saying. Kevin is not a pg, he's a classic 2 guard. He's not overly quick and he doesn't have great handles. To Kevin's credit imo he has had one of the best Billiken Careers in the history of SLU without ever really having a true pg next to him until this year, and KM is a freshman. Like so many of the Billiken's of the past Kevin has spent alot of time playing out of position, doing his best to handle the pg duties and he hasn't done a poor job.

I agree with what you are saying. Kevin is not a pg, he's a classic 2 guard. He's not overly quick and he doesn't have great handles. To Kevin's credit imo he has had one of the best Billiken Careers in the history of SLU without ever really having a true pg next to him until this year, and KM is a freshman. Like so many of the Billiken's of the past Kevin has spent alot of time playing out of position, doing his best to handle the pg duties and he hasn't done a poor job.

The point guard has a lot to do with it, but I am also not a fan of the offensive sets in which we use much of the clock or otherwise need a quick bucket and depend upon Kevin to create a basket. He is much better receiving the ball in those situations than trying to create the offensive opportunity. Also, when he is playing the shooting guard or wing, he needs to keep his head up and look for the open cutter or post player.

We played a great game but I was hoping there would be more students there to give it a better atmosphere. I was actually surprised by the turnout last night especially on a Tuesday night verus Balitmore County. Hopefully Cody enjoyed himself.

I thought it looked like more than 7,800 people there. Nice turnout. I was kind of surprised there weren't more students there as well.

KL and his tailbone must be history. It has been almost 2 months since he hurt it and it was suppose to be a 3 week healing process. Whatever is bother him is it is not his tailbone and if it is then somebody needs to get him to a doctor for a second opinion. As far as his hand goes - he has been playing with taped fingers for almost 2 years now so that should not be the problem either. He has never been overly quick but has been able to compensate for it in the past so what is different now? RM made a comment a couple of times that KL gets so down on himself that RM hates to have him be the guy taking the last shot. He said that KL will beat himself up for days afterward. This situation may simply be that he is lacking confidence in himself for whatever the reason. Now I do agree that passing was never his forte but he had always been adequate in the past. As far as him not having a pg to play with - DP was a good pg as far as passing the ball went - he had other issues but he had a very good career assist/turnover ratio during his time at SLU so that was not an issue for KL. I just really think it is a confidence thing - for those of you who could not see the tortured look on his face when he missed that first FT last night - well let me tell you it looked like somebody just told him the person he loves the most just died.

I thought it looked like more than 7,800 people there. Nice turnout. I was kind of surprised there weren't more students there as well.

These days, most undergrads don't live within 30 miles from SLU. The game was over Christmas break. I wouldn't expect many students there.

KL and his tailbone must be history. It has been almost 2 months since he hurt it and it was suppose to be a 3 week healing process. Whatever is bother him is it is not his tailbone and if it is then somebody needs to get him to a doctor for a second opinion. As far as his hand goes - he has been playing with taped fingers for almost 2 years now so that should not be the problem either. He has never been overly quick but has been able to compensate for it in the past so what is different now? RM made a comment a couple of times that KL gets so down on himself that RM hates to have him be the guy taking the last shot. He said that KL will beat himself up for days afterward. This situation may simply be that he is lacking confidence in himself for whatever the reason. Now I do agree that passing was never his forte but he had always been adequate in the past. As far as him not having a pg to play with - DP was a good pg as far as passing the ball went - he had other issues but he had a very good career assist/turnover ratio during his time at SLU so that was not an issue for KL. I just really think it is a confidence thing - for those of you who could not see the tortured look on his face when he missed that first FT last night - well let me tell you it looked like somebody just told him the person he loves the most just died.

DP was not a good point guard. He couldn't create anything, he didn't have good vision, and rarely attacked. He was a decent ball handler, I'll give him that.

He was according to people I know in the AD. Don't know his name, but I was told he's around 6'7"

Was he sitting in the 2nd row row behind the Billikids bench wearing a gray SLU T shirt with a white long sleeved t under it. The Parents wear wearing Royal Blue (if that was them, it is a good sign they were wearing blue!) Dad was taking alot of pctures.