Recruiting

Clock_Tower

Does anyone have information about this Fall's recruiting? We received an oral committment from Jonathan Smith and I was, of course, hoping he would be the first of a few more to all commit. Since then, have heard nothing. Is RM still bringing guys for visits and to meet the team? Surely, this Board has info from the team, sources close to the team and/or have talked with several kids.

Hoping to use this thread to summarize a list of the kids, and some relevant info on each (name, year, city, position, size, etc) who may have a scholarship offer from SLU.

Also,when is the start date to sign letters of intent?

Does anyone have information about this Fall's recruiting? We received an oral committment from Jonathan Smith and I was, of course, hoping he would be the first of a few more to all commit. Since then, have heard nothing. Is RM still bringing guys for visits and to meet the team? Surely, this Board has info from the team, sources close to the team and/or have talked with several kids.

Hoping to use this thread to summarize a list of the kids, and some relevant info on each (name, year, city, position, size, etc) who may have a scholarship offer from SLU.

Also,when is the start date to sign letters of intent?

A power forward named Matt Read visited a couple weeks ago. Juco guy. About 6'8.

We got another guard coming in a couple weeks. He's from Iowa. Hutchinson or something like that.

Hutcheson indicated in a Hoopmasters interview awhile back that he was leaning our way, so I'd expect a commitment after he visits. Reportedly he's a 6'6 catch and shoot player with some bounce.

6"6' catch and shoot with bounce? have we ever had this?

i quite frankly do not care if i hear about recruits, just that we get quality players to fill out the roster.

Hutcheson indicated in a Hoopmasters interview awhile back that he was leaning our way, so I'd expect a commitment after he visits. Reportedly he's a 6'6 catch and shoot player with some bounce.

The biggest reason I am a booster for coach RM so far is he seems to understand that since Magic Johnson changed the game you don't have to have

a bunch of guards who are shorter than me to compete. I really like KL but if we are going to send players to the NBA and NCAA on a regular basis it

may be that 4 out of 5 of the kids on the floor at any one time are six foot six to seven feet two inches. I liked Spoonball (you can substitute Grawer or

Soderberg if you like) and I think that you can have an exciting team of guys the size of Dwayne Polk or Marquee Perry but you can not win at the top

tier with that size ballplayer. RM has a reputation for getting big men to the next level.

6"6' catch and shoot with bounce? have we ever had this?

i quite frankly do not care if i hear about recruits, just that we get quality players to fill out the roster.

justin love or maurice jeffers would have been close but without the full height. they both were good shooters and could "bounce" with the best of them.

As a group, the team SLU will put on the floor for the majority of the minutes this season will be vertically challenged but let's not get hung up on height. Do we need more of it? Yep, in spades. But the most significant recruit in the incoming class just might turn out to be Cotto and he's under 6'0". The college game is about guys who can score, however they get that accomplished.

It's my understanding that it's "deceptive athleticism" kind of bounce, not "Who's your Messiah now?!" kind of bounce. We have had that player in the past -- Roland Gray-- but it's been a LOOOONG time.

Have you seen him play? Maybe you can give a brief scouting report

The biggest reason I am a booster for coach RM so far is he seems to understand that since Magic Johnson changed the game you don't have to have

a bunch of guards who are shorter than me to compete. I really like KL but if we are going to send players to the NBA and NCAA on a regular basis it

may be that 4 out of 5 of the kids on the floor at any one time are six foot six to seven feet two inches. I liked Spoonball (you can substitute Grawer or

Soderberg if you like) and I think that you can have an exciting team of guys the size of Dwayne Polk or Marquee Perry but you can not win at the top

tier with that size ballplayer. RM has a reputation for getting big men to the next level.

Khalid El-Amin, Scoonie Penn, Tywon Lawson, Damon Stoudamire, Jason Gardner, etc were all winners at that top tier if I remember correctly.

roland gray - that is probably it and that is a long, long. long time ago (3 buildings ago!!!)

larry's outside shot may keep him from being added, but he is probably close

love and jeffers did not have the height

Jeffers was 6'4" but played like 6'7". He still has the best slam I've ever seen from a SLU player. Can't remember the game but he took off from the FT line and Cha Ching!

I also remember he had 2 SportsCenter top ten dunks against Louisville. I think one was a reverse two handed putback. It was awesome.

I don't remember Jeff Harris being a shooter - I know he worked the boards hard and could hit the short jumper but like I said I don't remember him being a great outside shooter.

It's my understanding that it's "deceptive athleticism" kind of bounce, not "Who's your Messiah now?!" kind of bounce. We have had that player in the past -- Roland Gray-- but it's been a LOOOONG time.

Probably my second favorite Biliken of all time. Roland was one of the hardest workers we ever had too. He got everything he could out of his ability.