Coach-please we need power forwards

BE is a good finisher-he won my Drew Diener award-slow foot, grab the guy's shirt on defense-almost every game. He was hyped as a

6 foot 8" All American Juco center and RM said under his tenure they will no longer list guys as 6'8" when they are maybe a little

over 6'5".

I like BE but I do not believe we can get 30 minutes a game out of him

TL and BE are probably the only guys on last years team who could tip a ball in off the backboard-but I still never saw BE get his feet off the ground. I thought maybe he was playing hurt-another thread said he looks like he lost 10 pounds; we can only pray

and coach could recruit rebounder from the Army, Europe, Juco, or a transfer that has not been asked to leave because he couldn't play to the level expected-unless he was at Duke, North Carolina, Florida, or Ohio-but not on probation

BE is a good finisher-he won my Drew Diener award-slow foot, grab the guy's shirt on defense-almost every game. He was hyped as a

6 foot 8" All American Juco center and RM said under his tenure they will no longer list guys as 6'8" when they are maybe a little

over 6'5".

TL and BE are probably the only guys on last years team who could tip a ball in off the backboard-but I still never saw BE get his feet off the ground. I thought maybe he was playing hurt-another thread said he looks like he lost 10 pounds; we can only pray

and coach could recruit rebounder from the Army, Europe, Juco, or a transfer that has not been asked to leave because he couldn't play to the level expected-unless he was at Duke, North Carolina, Florida, or Ohio-but not on probation

i bet BE will average 30 mins, 10 pts, and 6 boards.

over 6'5".

Coach landed Conklin (6'8, 225), Thompson (7'0, 265), and Willie Reed (6'11, 190). This is the most size we have ever had in one class. These kids, also, have some skill. I think we should let them get a few games under their belts before we start giving Rickma a hard time about not recruiting guys that can crash the glass.

Coach landed Conklin (6'8, 225), Thompson (7'0, 265), and Willie Reed (6'11, 190). This is the most size we have ever had in one class. These kids, also, have some skill. I think we should let them get a few games under their belts before we start giving Rickma a hard time about not recruiting guys that can crash the glass.

Looks like we might not be done.

http://saintlouis.Scout.com/a.z?s=437&p=2&c=763265

Tatum, Heinrich and Baniak was a pretty big class.

Yeah, and if this class had a Larry Hughes (or even two players who could, combined, match Hughes's impact) like the aforementioned class, Tommie Liddell and Kevin Lisch would be certain to have at least two NCAA Tournament games on their career resume.

all I'm looking for is the next Anthony Bonner or Chris Heinrich; maybe we have one recruited already but control of the boards would sure be a real

asset to go along with the shooting guards we seemed to be loaded at the 2

I am all for having eager shooters but miss the Alley Oop, the put back, and the jam

What year was the recruiting class of T, H, and B?

It wasn't quite as big. Tatum was 6'7, Heinrich was 6'10, and Baniak was 6'9. It was a good group of frontline players.

Baniak showed a lot of promise as a freshman but never really took off in my opinion....probably had something to do with Larry not being around to draw a double team anymore.

Baniak showed a lot of promise as a freshman but never really took off in my opinion....probably had something to do with Larry not being around to draw a double team anymore.

You're probably right. Larry made everyone better.

Baniak, though, was a different player. I enjoyed watching him and glad he was a Billiken. Recall him having very strong hands and one of the best outlet passes. Not saying he was SLU's best rebounder ever, but when he did get a rebound, it was usually very forcefully with 2 hands, the ball was kept up high, no one from the other teams would take it away b/c of his strength, his keeping it up high and his never wanting to take off dribbling the ball and then he'd throw a strong and accurate pass to wing approaching 1/2 court for a break.

IMO, Baniak had the size, athletic ability, smarts and proper form/skills. His weakness was that he often disappeared in games (I watched him in high school were he completely disappeared so I think it had more to do with him and his attitude/desire/aggressiveness than his his opponents). Possibly he would have been better had he not been taking such a heavy course load of pre-med, etc. but really think this was more simply the type of natural player he was. Not trying to be too hard on him in that, since he left SLU, few (if any) have played the 4 better than him.

Baniak, though, was a different player. I enjoyed watching him and glad he was a Billiken. Recall him having very strong hands and one of the best outlet passes. Not saying he was SLU's best rebounder ever, but when he did get a rebound, it was usually very forcefully with 2 hands, the ball was kept up high, no one from the other teams would take it away b/c of his strength, his keeping it up high and his never wanting to take off dribbling the ball and then he'd throw a strong and accurate pass to wing approaching 1/2 court for a break.

IMO, Baniak had the size, athletic ability, smarts and proper form/skills. His weakness was that he often disappeared in games (I watched him in high school were he completely disappeared so I think it had more to do with him and his attitude/desire/aggressiveness than his his opponents). Possibly he would have been better had he not been taking such a heavy course load of pre-med, etc. but really think this was more simply the type of natural player he was. Not trying to be too hard on him in that, since he left SLU, few (if any) have played the 4 better than him.

I always thought pre-med was only like 3 or 4 classes like Biology etc and then the rest was done in grad school.

I always thought pre-med was only like 3 or 4 classes like Biology etc and then the rest was done in grad school.

I can't remember. When I was at SLU, I thought the pre-med scholars program had a certain course curriculum laid out for it. I could very well be wrong or it could have changed.

That sounds about right...maybe a few more. The premed majors always like to tell you how hard their classes were. Even though they got like twice as many core classes as the engineers...

Take it from a pre-med kid... The course load is really tough. 2 semesters of gen bio, 2 semesters of upper level bio, 2 semesters of gen chem, 2 of organic chemistry, and 2 semesters of physics. not to mention labs included in all of those classes... and all of these are crunched into your first two years

I agree with your synopsis, especially with the fact that he often disappeared. I am sure his passion and desire were there, but some players don't know how to bring that to the floor every night.

Take it from a pre-med kid... The course load is really tough. 2 semesters of gen bio, 2 semesters of upper level bio, 2 semesters of gen chem, 2 of organic chemistry, and 2 semesters of physics. not to mention labs included in all of those classes... and all of these are crunched into your first two years

Baniak switched from Pre-Med to Business at some point. I'm not sure how early or late, but he did not stick with Pre-Med. Take it from me, SLU's business school is not that hard and I guarantee he had no reason to blame his academic load once he switched.

From what I've heard, Baniak wasn't the best teammate. He was reserved and independent and I think these traits led him to seem distant from his teammates and they never saw him as a leader.

Once he left Pre-Med, I think it was more mental makeup than anything with Baniak. Most would agree he didn't live up to the expectations on him coming out of high school.

Baniak switched from Pre-Med to Business at some point. I'm not sure how early or late, but he did not stick with Pre-Med. Take it from me, SLU's business school is not that hard and I guarantee he had no reason to blame his academic load once he switched.

From what I've heard, Baniak wasn't the best teammate. He was reserved and independent and I think these traits led him to seem distant from his teammates and they never saw him as a leader.

Once he left Pre-Med, I think it was more mental makeup than anything with Baniak. Most would agree he didn't live up to the expectations on him coming out of high school.

Thank you. I think you're right about his switching majors. I do recall him saying he picked SLU, in part, because he wanted to be a doctor... but believe you're right about him switching. As to his relationship with his teammates, I don't really know.

As to his not living up to expectations, I'm tempted to say that I agree but did we have too high of expectations? Few are as good as Larry. He started as a Freshman. The team made the second round of the NCAAs, the team was good even w/o Larry the next year, he carried the load on the inside before Heinrich really improved his Jr. and Sr. years (Heinrich had some real rough moments his first 2 years) and I can't recall too many 4's (other than AB) that have been better than Baniak. Who am I forgetting about? Skinner, Pederson, Tatum, Jamal Johnson kind of played center, David Robinson, Brown.

Thank you. I think you're right about his switching majors. I do recall him saying he picked SLU, in part, because he wanted to be a doctor... but believe you're right about him switching. As to his relationship with his teammates, I don't really know.

As to his not living up to expectations, I'm tempted to say that I agree but did we have too high of expectations? Few are as good as Larry. He started as a Freshman. The team made the second round of the NCAAs, the team was good even w/o Larry the next year, he carried the load on the inside before Heinrich really improved his Jr. and Sr. years (Heinrich had some real rough moments his first 2 years) and I can't recall too many 4's (other than AB) that have been better than Baniak. Who am I forgetting about? Skinner, Pederson, Tatum, Jamal Johnson kind of played center, David Robinson, Brown.

It probably is true that expectations were very high, whether right or wrong. He was on that national tournament-winning St. Louis Eagles team with Larry, Tatum, and those other guys- getting three of them was quite a big deal for SLU. We had every reason to have high expectations.

The way I see it with Baniak is that no matter whether he had high expectations on him out of HS or not, he didn't seem to improve over the course of his four years. He was good out of the gate, not outstanding, and was basically the same his whole career. He had lapses where he looked like he'd regressed and others where he looked solid. I just don't think he was a gamer. This was also hard to see because there were other guys on that team like Heinrich who were remarkably better as seniors than as freshman- everything you'd hope for over the course of a college career. Baniak was already starting at a higher skill level as a freshman but didn't build on it.

Baniak was on the billboards around town his senior year. He could score given the ball on the block. At Washington he killed them his last year here. Baniak was hurt most of his years here by poor pg play. The pg's on the team those years never would get the right angle to get the ball inside. Don't know if Romar was coaching it poorly or the kids just could not get it. Tatium and Baniak could have scored five or six more points a game (total between the pair) for us if the pg would have gotten them the ball.

Baniak had great footwork on the box. You don't have to be fast or jump high, if you are a big man that understands footwork and where to put the defender on your hip.

Guys, we have coaching now. Something we have not had since Spoon. The kids feeding the post will understand what to do and when to do it. The bigs will understand how to present their selves to the ball to get it and score.