What I heard

There were other unsigned '08 kids at Saturday's camp, but Jones was the biggest name. There were two others, including Donnie Dobbs' nephew, who could help fill out the class a little bit, but I'm not sure how much they would contribute.

- Nate

whats is dobbs' first name

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were other unsigned '08 kids at Saturday's camp, but Jones was the biggest name. There were two others, including Donnie Dobbs' nephew, who could help fill out the class a little bit, but I'm not sure how much they would contribute.

- Nate

No pun intended. :)

No pun intended. :)

not the best highlight vid but it shows good athleticism and a sweet J (sorry Jimbo)

Woulkd give us scoring off the bench and would have a good shot to lead our team in scoring the next year.

All we need is another academic question mark. I'm all for taking risks on kids when it comes to academics. A lot of kids just don't have the family background to keep them in gear in high school. Majerus will take care of that. However, we need sure things. We already have 2 kids that may not suit up because they can't qualify. The staff needs to spend it's time recruiting a kid that they know will be eligible right away.

Anytime you have a chance with a top 100 kid, you have to go after him hard. If he doesn't qualify, no harm done, because you didnt have anyone else lined up anyway. Plus you might get another great player, because great players want to play with other great players. If he does qualify, you can have a program changing player.

Anytime you have a chance with a top 100 kid, you have to go after him hard. If he doesn't qualify, no harm done, because you didnt have anyone else lined up anyway. Plus you might get another great player, because great players want to play with other great players. If he does qualify, you can have a program changing player.

i would never make such a blanket statement. regardless how good or physically gifted a recruit is, if that player is also not a good student and citizen, i would be very hesitant.

Top player?? Still available?? SLU might get him?? Must be something wrong -- 50 years of mediocrity sure kills a program's confidence.

No thanks. I think I'd rather have MR and AK. Why risk a good thing - bring on 50 more years of mediocrity!! :)

Thugs Win Championships. otherwise you can look for jobs at Toledo

the day slu has a bench of "thugs" is the day i burn all my billiken blue wear.

Top player?? Still available?? SLU might get him?? Must be something wrong -- 50 years of mediocrity sure kills a program's confidence.

Well, the thing is....there IS a problem. If you aren't qualified by the summer after having committed to two previous schools, what are the chances of that happening now? I'm not saying we don't need the kid...i'm just saying that I doubt the kid could get to campus and our time would be better served putting the full court press on somebody who may actually see the floor next year. There's a chance the kid is smart and could qualify....presumable the coaches have a much better handle on it that than we do. But the facts are against him. If Willie or Ruben were eligible, I'd be singing a different tune. But as it stands now, we may be in worse shape than last year. They may have to recruit Billikens.com members to hold practice.

the day slu has a bench of "thugs" is the day i burn all my billiken blue wear.

But you endorse all the questionable academic records of our new recruits? Thugs have bad grades and play basketball, therefore they win basketball games.

But you endorse all the questionable academic records of our new recruits? Thugs have bad grades and play basketball, therefore they win basketball games.

what endorsement? if you are talking about i havent said anything negative about cotto or reed, well that is because i havent read anything official about such. if they dont qualify academically by the ncaa rules by the time school starts, then i dont want them as billikens. same with social issues. if they are problems off the court, i dont want them as billikens.

i dont recall ever endorsing us to take a player that didnt qualify academically or had social issues. if i did, please find the post for me.

Well, the thing is....there IS a problem. If you aren't qualified by the summer after having committed to two previous schools, what are the chances of that happening now? I'm not saying we don't need the kid...i'm just saying that I doubt the kid could get to campus and our time would be better served putting the full court press on somebody who may actually see the floor next year. There's a chance the kid is smart and could qualify....presumable the coaches have a much better handle on it that than we do. But the facts are against him. If Willie or Ruben were eligible, I'd be singing a different tune. But as it stands now, we may be in worse shape than last year. They may have to recruit Billikens.com members to hold practice.

Would they really bring him in if they dont think he'll make it? And if you do think so, is it for cosmetic reasons? Getting him in was a big deal, whether he makes it or not, thats a top 100 kid visiting campus. I know there have been some local guys in the top 100 recently like Suggs, Brandenburg, and Booker, but this kid is out of area.

what endorsement? if you are talking about i havent said anything negative about cotto or reed, well that is because i havent read anything official about such. if they dont qualify academically by the ncaa rules by the time school starts, then i dont want them as billikens. same with social issues. if they are problems off the court, i dont want them as billikens.

i dont recall ever endorsing us to take a player that didnt qualify academically or had social issues. if i did, please find the post for me.

You flat-out don't want them if they fail to qualify this year? Ouch. Good thing for Marquette Tom Crean didn't take that approach with Dwyane Wade. There might have been some MU boosters who said the same about him, and they are gladly eating crow.

Also, I fail to see how academic issues automatically make guys "thugs." A kid doesn't have the benefit of a good education growing up, fails to get a minimum score, and is suddenly a thug? A kid gets screwed by a school promising a good education and is little more than a shell of a school, loses out on credits, and is a thug? A kid moves here from Puerto Rico, learns English as a second language, misses a minimum test score on an aptitude test that measures English proficiency, and is a thug? There is no shame in giving players a second chance if they lose a year of eligibility but show the character and willingness to work academically.

Were you calling for us to ditch Justin Tatum? That was before I read this board, so I genuinely don't know. He got his second chance and unfortunately didn't work hard enough to stay and graduate. He was worth a shot, though.

"Social" issues are another thing altogether. If guys have legitimate legal or behavioral issues, then I would not want them on the roster. There is absolutely no indication that any of our new recruits have these kind of issues.

Also, I would be careful throwing around the term "thugs." That's a pretty loaded term. I would also debate the "Thugs win championships" statement, arguing that this is false more often than not.

You flat-out don't want them if they fail to qualify this year? Ouch. Good thing for Marquette Tom Crean didn't take that approach with Dwyane Wade. There might have been some MU boosters who said the same about him, and they are gladly eating crow.

Also, I fail to see how academic issues automatically make guys "thugs." A kid doesn't have the benefit of a good education growing up, fails to get a minimum score, and is suddenly a thug? A kid gets screwed by a school promising a good education and is little more than a shell of a school, loses out on credits, and is a thug? A kid moves here from Puerto Rico, learns English as a second language, misses a minimum test score on an aptitude test that measures English proficiency, and is a thug? There is no shame in giving players a second chance if they lose a year of eligibility but show the character and willingness to work academically.

Were you calling for us to ditch Justin Tatum? That was before I read this board, so I genuinely don't know. He got his second chance and unfortunately didn't work hard enough to stay and graduate. He was worth a shot, though.

"Social" issues are another thing altogether. If guys have legitimate legal or behavioral issues, then I would not want them on the roster. There is absolutely no indication that any of our new recruits have these kind of issues.

Also, I would be careful throwing around the term "thugs." That's a pretty loaded term. I would also debate the "Thugs win championships" statement, arguing that this is false more often than not.

I guess Roy would want Rickma to pass on Andre Miller too.

Do we know for a fact that they aren't elidgible?

Well, I guess that depends on your definition of fact. I think it is very widely accepted that neither is eligible. it is a fact that Willie went to Milestone and the NCAA has come down hard on them. In order to be eligible, he would have to make up all courses. A very big supporter of Ruben has said that he will be taking the ACT again this month. The assumption is that means he has yet to get receive the required score.

But no, we don't have quotes from RC and WR saying they are not yet eligible.

i said i dont want them. as in now. if they then go back to prep school or a juco and fix their academic problem that imo shows a fantastic effort. if that is the case with cotto, i agree completely he deserves a second chance then. but if he truly is academically challenged now, we shouldnt be giving him a scholarship or offerring scholarships to him now. for the record, i am not saying cotto is in that boat. you used the example first. i have no knowledge of cotto's academic situation.

i also didnt label an academically challenged kid a thug, that was next year bill who inserted the thug issue. i posted i didnt want the kid with academic problems or the kid with social problems. that would be two different issues. the same player could have both, but i agree academic issues would not make a prospective recruit a "thug". there should be no exceptions for a true thug. they do not need to be at slu.

I guess Roy would want Rickma to pass on Andre Miller too.

yes i would have at the time. and that would have cost utah that run. but in hindsight, one has to admit that an andre miller is the extreme exception.

i dont think slu accepts even partial academic qualifiers anymore though. they have to at least meet minimum ncaa requirements today.

Would they really bring him in if they dont think he'll make it? And if you do think so, is it for cosmetic reasons? Getting him in was a big deal, whether he makes it or not, thats a top 100 kid visiting campus. I know there have been some local guys in the top 100 recently like Suggs, Brandenburg, and Booker, but this kid is out of area.

Did they bring him in? He payed his own way to attend a camp ran by one of the best coaches in the country. I do agree that him even coming to campus is a big deal and a good sign (no pun intended). And again, I think this kid could be huge for this team. I just question his ability to get eligible and wonder if time would be best served elsewhere. Hell, we haven't offered a scholly yet (according to Billikenreport's posts) so maybe this is all moot. To me, our biggest priority should be a big man.