Majerus Show Today

kshoe

I caught the middle portion. I've never heard one person move the direction of a question more than he does ona routine basis. A caller asked how he wanted to schedule and by the end of the 7 minute response he was talking about disenfranchised air traffic controls in Philadelphia as a result of the Reagan era strike. Its truly something to behold.

He talked a little about recruiting and quite frankly probably said more than he should of as he mentioned where he was recruiting and specifically mentioned a player at Andre Miller's old school that he was going to look at. He re-itterated that he was looking to sign a couple more kids this spring (I hope this doesn't lead to yet another debate about who is leaving and how can we offer more schollys then we currently have).

I missed the last 15 minutes so if anyone has more to add please do so.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I caught the middle portion. I've never heard one person move the direction of a question more than he does ona routine basis. A caller asked how he wanted to schedule and by the end of the 7 minute response he was talking about disenfranchised air traffic controls in Philadelphia as a result of the Reagan era strike. Its truly something to behold.

He talked a little about recruiting and quite frankly probably said more than he should of as he mentioned where he was recruiting and specifically mentioned a player at Andre Miller's old school that he was going to look at. He re-itterated that he was looking to sign a couple more kids this spring (I hope this doesn't lead to yet another debate about who is leaving and how can we offer more schollys then we currently have).

I missed the last 15 minutes so if anyone has more to add please do so.

I missed the last 15 minutes as well as bits and pieces in the middle, but a few more points...

The highlight would have to be coach putting Gary in his place in regard to Bryce. Coach said he encourages Bryce to take the three. When Bryce's shot was questioned, coach said something to the effect of "trust me, I understand shot mechanics...and Bryce can shoot". Said Bryce has been a little nervous the past few games and hasn't gotten himself set prior to shooting. He also mentioned the "players coming back" and would only name Tommie, Kevin and Barry. Said he wants father Biondi to get on the horn and call his jesuit peers at Georgetown and Maquette about scheduling. That's about all I remember.

I missed the last 15 minutes as well as bits and pieces in the middle, but a few more points...

The highlight would have to be coach putting Gary in his place in regard to Bryce. Coach said he encourages Bryce to take the three. When Bryce's shot was questioned, coach said something to the effect of "trust me, I understand shot mechanics...and Bryce can shoot". Said Bryce has been a little nervous the past few games and hasn't gotten himself set prior to shooting. He also mentioned the "players coming back" and would only name Tommie, Kevin and Barry. Said he wants father Biondi to get on the horn and call his jesuit peers at Georgetown and Maquette about scheduling. That's about all I remember.

I'd love to see more of the big Jesuit schools on the schedule.

Speaking of Georgetown, I was having a conversation with a guy at work yesterday who said the Jesuits were stepping back a bit there. They're the first Jesuit school with a lay president, and he also suggested that they were devoting less personnel and attention to Georgetown, gradually letting it run more like a non-denominational school. He doubted their influence would ever be gone completely- the tradition there is too deep- but said they wanted to devote their diminishing numbers more in other places. It sounded to me like they felt they had accomplished so much at Georgetown, now it was time to improve the national reputation of some of their other schools. Has anyone else heard anything like this?

The thing I don't get about Gary's ***** about Bryce taking the 3 is the fact that he has only taken 6 all year. Hell, he was shooting 50% from there before the Richmond game. Gary doesn't like Bryce and is just looking for any reason to ***** about his play.

I think this is the well-established trend nationally that you see from colleges in general. It used to break down along the lines of private versus state. Both of those broke down into various strata and Jesuit was just one of a series of religious-affilaited schools out there. While there are benefits, there are also disadvantages and with the outbreak of large sums of federal funding, the religiously-affiliated schools became less so. My kid went to visit what was a Methodist-affiliated school when it was founded. Today, I'd say that other than a historical bloodline and history, that's about the length of its current ties to anything strictly methodist.

I think it is also the affects one sees with declining enrollments --- not in the schools themselves but in the ranks of the Jesuit order. I had nuns all through grade and high school. Are there any of them left out there nowadays? My oldest goes to a school that was founded by an order of nuns. The largest building on campus is the convent. The college covets that building ----- this huge, huge, huge place is "home" to seven nuns. Seven! Adding the builidng and the grounds would double the actual size of the land the school sits on.

I think it was on the SLU/Xavier game that I saw that SLU and Xavier were two of 28 schools playing basketball with Jesuit affiliations. I'll have to look those other 26 up. Sure, its easy to know the Marquettes and Georgetowns and BCs but I bet there's some stunners in there. I guess that leads to the question who would they move to to improve?

Here are the DI Jesuit schools:

1. SLU

2. Xavier

3. Creighton

4. Loyola-Chicago

5. Detroit

6. Boston College

7. Georgetown

8. Santa Clara

9. Gonzaga

10. Loyola-Marymount

12. San Francisco

13. St. Joe's

14. Loyola-Maryland

15. St. Peter's

16. Fordham

17. Canisius

18. Holy Cross

19. Fairfield

20. Marquette

Non-DI Jebbies:

Rockhurst

John Carroll

Spring Hill

LeMoyne

Loyola-New Orleans

Regis

Seattle

Scranton

Wheeling Jesuit

It is fascinating listening to Majerus. You never know where the next tangent is going. The only thing that is a little frustrating is that they can't get to more questions, because RM's answers are so long.

He was extremely complimentary of the kids and had some great things to say about the seniors, so we can stop this nonsense that RM says mean things about the kids and that he was "throwing away" this season. He's trying to squeeze as much as he can out of this year's team and he is pleased with the progress that is being made.

In addition to what kshoe mentioned, RM had some other interesting recruiting references. He said there was a recruit at the Richmond game who he described as an "ubelievable" talent. The kid had dreadlocks because his mom was talking about getting them cut off. Nate, is this Tre Lee? I believe he is from Virginia, so that would make sense. Also, he talked about the point guard(s) who are coming in helping TM and KL with their ability to set up more scoring opportunities. I took this to mean the possibility of Cotto coming in with KM. He also said having a low post presence next year would really benefit TL and KL. He talked about the types of personal qualities he looks for in recruits. RM also threw out that he wanted to sign a kid out of Minnesota and he also went to a game in Red Bud recently to watch a recruit.

It is fascinating listening to Majerus. You never know where the next tangent is going. The only thing that is a little frustrating is that they can't get to more questions, because RM's answers are so long.

He was extremely complimentary of the kids and had some great things to say about the seniors, so we can stop this nonsense that RM says mean things about the kids and that he was "throwing away" this season. He's trying to squeeze as much as he can out of this year's team and he is pleased with the progress that is being made.

In addition to what kshoe mentioned, RM had some other interesting recruiting references. He said there was a recruit at the Richmond game who he described as an "ubelievable" talent. The kid had dreadlocks because his mom was talking about getting them cut off. Nate, is this Tre Lee? I believe he is from Virginia, so that would make sense. Also, he talked about the point guard(s) who are coming in helping TM and KL with their ability to set up more scoring opportunities. I took this to mean the possibility of Cotto coming in with KM. He also said having a low post presence next year would really benefit TL and KL. He talked about the types of personal qualities he looks for in recruits. RM also threw out that he wanted to sign a kid out of Minnesota and he also went to a game in Red Bud recently to watch a recruit.

All of this is very interesting - recruiting piece that is. If he signs 1-2 more players, somebody(s) has to go. So all this talk about how the coaches love AM, RM loves PE and will be back, and DM is staying from a reliable source has to be not accurate. MR and AK have gotten more playing time lately so they must be making some progress and while I think they may be passed up by the new kids coming in - perhaps not totally next year but I would hope the second - would mean that AK would be a senior and MR a junior then so they may be satisfied with taking their chances for a year or two. The only thing I can think of is that if RM gets a player or two that he thinks are truly significant upgrades from what he has then he will have to have player(s) leave - if he does not sign new players that are significantly better then he goes with what he has. Now the question is who leaves - who knows but you have to think that PE would be the first since his was supposedly a one year trial - assuming that was true. The second person could be DM for obvious reasons but once again who knows. After this I got no clue what could happen.

Tre Lee was here in the fall, I saw them toting him around on the golf cart that day, and when I spoke to one of the assistant coaches , he simply was raving about the kid -- I seem to recall him being described as a slim 6'4" scoring wing with slasher speed, extreme athleticism, and possibly still growing. The staff was pretty jazzed about that kid for sure. Kind of makes you wonder how the ACC and other local schools are letting him slip away.

the red bud kid is likely brandon kunkel. probably right at or a little under 6 foot tall. shoots the hell out of it. think a better shooting eckerle. but also smaller. imo, he isnt big enough for division one. but who knows. he can shoot.

RM may have been watching a team play against Red Bud. Thompson? Cotto? I don't know. Not surprisingly, the story usually goes back to food... coach was talking about driving around Red Bud looking for a place to eat.

red bud plays a small school schedule. no cotto or thompson on the schedule. racking my brain trying to figure out an opponent player that would be worthy. the only thing i can think of is phil kunz at wesclin who is a 6'7" freshman at wesclin that has loads of potential. has wing skills and might grow some more besides being big already. phil's dad played for the flying illini teams i think in the late 80's early 90's. plus he is well coached by brent brede at wesclin.

Tre Lee was here in the fall, I saw them toting him around on the golf cart that day, and when I spoke to one of the assistant coaches , he simply was raving about the kid -- I seem to recall him being described as a slim 6'4" scoring wing with slasher speed, extreme athleticism, and possibly still growing. The staff was pretty jazzed about that kid for sure. Kind of makes you wonder how the ACC and other local schools are letting him slip away.

Story from 2 days ago:

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt_re...0,7976159.story

"They said they're looking forward to recruiting me," said Lee, who admitted he's leaning toward Saint Louis. "It's real early though."

Brian I don't know how he put me in my place. I just don't think he should be shooting three's . When you are at a true size disadvantage as we are you need him under the boards. You nalso failed to mention he agreed with me on my other question. I may not be right, but who is all the time. Unless you ask the question how will you know what he thinks. I also can attend one of the three remaining home games and sit in his seats.

You also failed to mention he agreed with me on my other question. I may not be right, but who is all the time. Unless you ask the question how will you know what he thinks. I also can attend one of the three remaining home games and sit in his seats.

gary for those of us that dont listen to the all too painful rickma show, can you explain the above?

Brian I don't know how he put me in my place. I just don't think he should be shooting three's . When you are at a true size disadvantage as we are you need him under the boards. You nalso failed to mention he agreed with me on my other question. I may not be right, but who is all the time. Unless you ask the question how will you know what he thinks. I also can attend one of the three remaining home games and sit in his seats.

I never said he put you in your place. That was someone else. I am just amazed that you are all worked upped about something that has happened only 6 times in 23 games.

gary for those of us that dont listen to the all too painful rickma show, can you explain the above?

Are you serious, Roy? The "all too painful" show? Man, you really are losing you're die hard Billiken status. First you're missing games...now this. :blink:

It's the best hour of talk radio out there. Listening to RM break down the three most important aspects of a pass or how to recieve the ball in the post is just awsome, IMO.

Are you serious, Roy? The "all too painful" show? Man, you really are losing you're die hard Billiken status. First you're missing games...now this. :blink:

It's the best hour of talk radio out there. Listening to RM break down the three most important aspects of a pass or how to recieve the ball in the post is just awsome, IMO.

I missed last night's edition of "The Rick Majerus Show featuring Gary", but it is normally a great listen. For more informative than any other coach's show I have ever listened to.

i dont enjoy the rambling style. and he uses that monotone voice that leads one to believe he would rather be anyplace doing anything but that.

originally i was loving the rickma engagements. but quickly he used all his lounge act material and now he just seems to meander around and it is hard to digest any meanful information about our billikens it seems to me.

i was hoping for more of the new and improved spoon show. where we would always get the great wit, and stories along with concise and exact analysis. indeed he often does finally get to basketball 101, but then the detail he will get into is too much for good radio imo.

dont worry about my die hard status. i just am not over the top about rickma yet. i recognize he has brought great change to the program and gives us great potential plus almost a cant miss future improvement over history. i just am not enjoying the route he takes to get to points as much.

but as i have said on numerous occaisions lately. there is obvious adjustments and compromise as of late that i am very happy about.

I missed last night's edition of "The Rick Majerus Show featuring Gary", but it is normally a great listen. For more informative than any other coach's show I have ever listened to.

It's not like this is Gary's first radio show. Howard Stern had a Gary on his show from time to time and i'm pretty sure they are one in the same.

It's not like this is Gary's first radio show. Howard Stern had a Gary on his show from time to time and i'm pretty sure they are one in the same.

lmao :lol: