Bryce Part Deaux

philliken

I'm usually a big fan of Highmark and Gould, but today I was upset with something. They repeatedly praised Bryce for his strong EFFORT today. Now, he did have a nice rebounding total (9), but he seemed SO lazy out there. He scored 4 points (back to back I believe), but I think he could have easily had 4 or 5 more easy bounds. It seemed he didn't leave his feet if he didn't feel like it, reacted late, and let the bounce in the direction of other Billikens assuming they'd get it. Twice Richmond came up with the ball when I thought it should have easily been Bryce's. I'm not saying he had a horrible game, and I'm not picking on him, do you agree he just comes across as lazy - like he really doesn't want to be there?

On the good note, he did have 2 nice blocks, and he stuck with his offensive rebounds, and even got involved on the steal by the baseline. So, not all bad.

What'ya think?

I'm usually a big fan of Highmark and Gould, but today I was upset with something. They repeatedly praised Bryce for his strong EFFORT today. Now, he did have a nice rebounding total (9), but he seemed SO lazy out there. He scored 4 points (back to back I believe), but I think he could have easily had 4 or 5 more easy bounds. It seemed he didn't leave his feet if he didn't feel like it, reacted late, and let the bounce in the direction of other Billikens assuming they'd get it. Twice Richmond came up with the ball when I thought it should have easily been Bryce's. I'm not saying he had a horrible game, and I'm not picking on him, do you agree he just comes across as lazy - like he really doesn't want to be there?

On the good note, he did have 2 nice blocks, and he stuck with his offensive rebounds, and even got involved on the steal by the baseline. So, not all bad.

What'ya think?

He is not lazy. Not at all. He is just slow. There is a reason he was a 7'1 player available in the Spring signing period. He has made significant progress since his freshman year and I thought he had a good game today.

He is not lazy. Not at all. He is just slow. There is a reason he was a 7'1 player available in the Spring signing period. He has made significant progress since his freshman year and I thought he had a good game today.

Agreed. He is 7 plus but not the most athletic person. He is what he is and I am very pleased with the way he developed this year. He should continue to work hard and he should be proud of himself.

How about the series where he had 2 off. rebounds and then finally the put back.....I don't recall much of that from Ian.

What'ya think?

9 boards in 21 minutes, I'm assuming your post is sarcasm for our resident basketball genious Gary.

Or do you believe he should have had 13-14 boards in 21 minutes?

Believe me, I'm very open to criticism on my posts. And yes, on the stat sheet, it looks like he had a great game (at least on the glass). And I gave him credit for sticking with that basket, and for his help on the loose ball.

Maybe I should have said that at times he looked lazy today. I know he's a big man, and it's gonna take him longer to get down the court. My arguement is that I saw 3 or 4 plays at least where he simply just didn't try to go after the board. That's what bothers me. I think guys like Kevin and Luke give 110% every minute, and I don't think we get that from Bryce. You're right that we didn't see a lot of what Bryce does from Ian, but if you rewatch some of that game (if you TiVoed it or whatever), you'll see what I'm talking about.

Like I said, I'm not bashing Bryce, I like Bryce. And overall I am happy with what we've gotten from him. But I do think he could do more if he puts more heart into it.

I even liked Bryce defensively today. Aside from the 2 blocks, he also contained the paint against a very good interior passing team. So, don't take my post as harsh. I just would like to see every player on the team give everything they have. I could have posted criticism on almost every player, but I was keeping a closer eye on Bryce today because of the recent activity.

Like I said, I'm not bashing Bryce, I like Bryce. And overall I am happy with what we've gotten from him. But I do think he could do more if he puts more heart into it.

I'm not sure what you think calling somebody lazy is, but in my book its bashing. There's really not much worse you can say about a kid.

I thought Bryce played a real nice game. He rebounded and defended well and fought real hard around the basket. He will never be Shaq, but during the last two games he had used his size effectively. It is too bad he is missing the medium-range jumpers because I know that he can hit those.

I'm not sure what you think calling somebody lazy is, but in my book its bashing. There's really not much worse you can say about a kid.

I don't think saying that he looked lazy through parts of the game is bashing. A players lack of hustle can cost a team a game - it didn't today - not even close. But there are going to be situations when we need everyone to give maximum effort - hell this is D1 basketball. Every player on every team regardless of talent level should give everything they've got.

To repeat, I like Bryce, and I don't want to demean what he did for us today.

Keep in mind also, a lot harsher things are said about other players on this team. I simply would like all the players to be motivated every second.

I don't think saying that he looked lazy through parts of the game is bashing. A players lack of hustle can cost a team a game - it didn't today - not even close. But there are going to be situations when we need everyone to give maximum effort - hell this is D1 basketball. Every player on every team regardless of talent level should give everything they've got.

To repeat, I like Bryce, and I don't want to demean what he did for us today.

Keep in mind also, a lot harsher things are said about other players on this team. I simply would like all the players to be motivated every second.

I think the reason he looks lazy sometimes is becasue his conditioning is poor. After 3 or 4 minutes he will raise his arm to come out. I don't understand how a scholarship player can be so poorly conditioned.

Another good point. I thought about that after my last post. The only retort I had to that was any D1 player should be conditioned enough to handle playing 21 minutes; especially since this isn't run and gun bball. But he does have the furthest to run up and down the court each time as well.

Believe me, I'm very open to criticism on my posts. And yes, on the stat sheet, it looks like he had a great game (at least on the glass). And I gave him credit for sticking with that basket, and for his help on the loose ball.

Maybe I should have said that at times he looked lazy today. I know he's a big man, and it's gonna take him longer to get down the court. My arguement is that I saw 3 or 4 plays at least where he simply just didn't try to go after the board. That's what bothers me. I think guys like Kevin and Luke give 110% every minute, and I don't think we get that from Bryce. You're right that we didn't see a lot of what Bryce does from Ian, but if you rewatch some of that game (if you TiVoed it or whatever), you'll see what I'm talking about.

I even liked Bryce defensively today. Aside from the 2 blocks, he also contained the paint against a very good interior passing team. So, don't take my post as harsh. I just would like to see every player on the team give everything they have. I could have posted criticism on almost every player, but I was keeping a closer eye on Bryce today because of the recent activity.

I don't think Bryce is lazy at all. I do think sometimes his height and the fact he is slow may make it appear that he isn't working hard. I would also bet that Bryce is being coached to concentrate on blocking out and maybe that slows his reaction. Appearances may be deceivig. I get the impression that if RM thought he was lazy at all he'd be seeing less than 20 minutes per game regardless of his height. Lastly you just don't get 9 rebounds in 1/2 of a D1 gam if you are lazy. This reminds me of all the easy rebounds that just dropped into Ian's hands las year. Big men at SLU are very lucky.

Calling someone lazy is bashing.

What'ya think?

plus i think 4 ouf husak's rebounds were the one possession where he did the tip drill on his own misses. had he not finally made the points, that would have been a stinging possession.

i took gould and highmark's remarks to be more about husak maximizing what he can give us. he is what he is and what i think he brings is the ability to clog the lane and alter shots more than anything.

You can tell by the look on his face when he screws something up that the kid wants it just as bad as anybody out there... He's 7'1" and skinny as hell, that's not going to change... I usually enjoy watching him play and wish him success in his life after SLU.

Hey slufanskip, how about the two missed three's that he had. If i'm not mistaken the billikens were in the middle of a run and both misses sent Richmond on runs of their own. He played decent but not great on offense he needs to be around the basket. He's 7'1 no reason he shouldn't be around the basket. The only reason he should come out is to set a pick. He is not a game changer imagine how many more pounts a game he would have if he stayed around the basket.

Hey slufanskip, how about the two missed three's that he had. If i'm not mistaken the billikens were in the middle of a run and both misses sent Richmond on runs of their own. He played decent but not great on offense he needs to be around the basket. He's 7'1 no reason he shouldn't be around the basket. The only reason he should come out is to set a pick. He is not a game changer imagine how many more pounts a game he would have if he stayed around the basket.

I can't disagree .... imo he should stay around the basket more. I like him taking the 10-12 footer, but I'm not so sure past that.

I'm sure he is doing what he's being coached to do though.

Do you realize after yesterday he only has only taken 6 threes all year? Did you know going into yesterday he was 2-4 on his 3 pt attempts for the year? Last year in practices he was the third best 3 pt shooter on the team.

Do you realize after yesterday he only has only taken 6 threes all year? Did you know going into yesterday he was 2-4 on his 3 pt attempts for the year. Last year in practices he was the third best 3 pt shooter on the team.

I thought he had some pretty decent numbers, but was too lazy to look them up. Thanks for that.

As I said last week, I'm prefectly ok with Bryce taking the three as long as it is inside the offense. Bryce doesn't roam the 3-pt line as Gary alludes to. He sets picks then rolls off. Often times he is wide open. He's gotta take it and I would bet Rick is telling him to take it. 33% of the time, he makes it every time.

Bryce outside shot hasn't been falling recently, but he's shown in the past he's capable of making those. I think he's supposed to take those shots if they give them to him, otherwise RM would pull him. Bryce has progressed this year. He gives us valuable minutes and a defensive presence inside that no one else can provide.

Highmark knows something about basketball; BH is not exceptional, but he does give effort. He is not smooth. It does not come easily. Only Wilt the Stilt Chamberlin was slick at 7 feet tall. The perfect height for basketball players-forwards and centers especially is closer to 6 foot 9. There is a disadvantage from the waist down and we all recognize that-you are just to exposed to quicker, smaller players when over 7 feet. BH was exhausted

quite a few times in the game but he put a lid on the opposing center who was an excellent 6'9" player who shot threes. All high school players shoot

threes-even grade schoolers shoot threes-to assume centers shouldn't shoot threes is very old fashioned-if a center can dish at high post why can't he shooy threes? This last game was one of BH best contributions to a winning effort.

BH was available in the Spring only because where he signed fired the coach and they released him from his LOI not because he had no other options.

Agreed. He is 7 plus but not the most athletic person. He is what he is and I am very pleased with the way he developed this year. He should continue to work hard and he should be proud of himself.

How about the series where he had 2 off. rebounds and then finally the put back.....I don't recall much of that from Ian.

No, because IV would have made the basket the first time or got fouled.