Observatons on RI victory

Billikan

This was a great win and it still seems amazing to me and I was there. BE was hurt and could not play and Bryce was hurt this week so Knollmeyer started and although at times he looked totally gassed he played about 15 very good minutes and he was playing tough under the boards, filling space and getting rebounds and he hit a nice jumper and a really nice jump hook over two shot blockers. Congrats to Adam. When he got his opportunity to play he really took advantage. I assume we will see more of him for the rest of the year.

Also amazing is the fact that Kevin had one of the worst offensive production games of his Billikan carreer and at crunch time when all we needed to do was hit our free throws he missed two front ends and another free throw scoring only one of 6 possible points. He also turned it over at a crucial time in the last two minutes. Yet we still beat a ranked team. To give Kevin his due he played tough defense on Baron and others and he handled the ball a lot against the press.

The star of the game by far was Tommie! He hit huge shot after huge shot and his three late was the deciding shot. He played tough against their big inside guys. For much of the game he was the three man or the four man and he hung in there. For the last part of the game we were playing Luke at the five, Danny at the four, Tommie at the three with Kevin and Paul--an incredibly small team against a very big and very athletic nationally ranked team. On this night matchups did not matter--what mattered was the heart of the players and everyone who played for the Bills played wih a lot of heart.

Paul had his best game ever. He hit 3 big threes and played hard nosed defense against Baron when Kevin was out. He made some bad turnovers but overall he was money in a big game. 13 points from a walkon against a ranked team!

Bryce had 8 rebounds and he seemed to rebound out of his area, a first for Bryce. Luke was vintage Luke against the trees in the middle-- he fought for every loose ball and he got knocked to the floor but got back up. He also hit some huge shots.

The bast thing about this game is that we won and at times I really did not think we were playing that well. But we hit shots and we defended like crazy. Maybe this team does have some talent!

The team and the coaches deserve a lot of credit in coming back from the 20 point game. RM did a lot of substituting and when we were up 47-35 with 7 minutes to go and he took out both Tommie and Luke I almost had a heart attack.

They immediately went on a run and cut it to four but we held them off. Great win for our Billikens!

This was a great win and it still seems amazing to me and I was there. BE was hurt and could not play and Bryce was hurt this week so Knollmeyer started and although at times he looked totally gassed he played about 15 very good minutes and he was playing tough under the boards, filling space and getting rebounds and he hit a nice jumper and a really nice jump hook over two shot blockers. Congrats to Adam. When he got his opportunity to play he really took advantage. I assume we will see more of him for the rest of the year.

Also amazing is the fact that Kevin had one of the worst offensive production games of his Billikan carreer and at crunch time when all we needed to do was hit our free throws he missed two front ends and another free throw scoring only one of 6 possible points. He also turned it over at a crucial time in the last two minutes. Yet we still beat a ranked team. To give Kevin his due he played tough defense on Baron and others and he handled the ball a lot against the press.

The star of the game by far was Tommie! He hit huge shot after huge shot and his three late was the deciding shot. He played tough against their big inside guys. For much of the game he was the three man or the four man and he hung in there. For the last part of the game we were playing Luke at the five, Danny at the four, Tommie at the three with Kevin and Paul--an incredibly small team against a very big and very athletic nationally ranked team. On this night matchups did not matter--what mattered was the heart of the players and everyone who played for the Bills played wih a lot of heart.

Paul had his best game ever. He hit 3 big threes and played hard nosed defense against Baron when Kevin was out. He made some bad turnovers but overall he was money in a big game. 13 points from a walkon against a ranked team!

Bryce had 8 rebounds and he seemed to rebound out of his area, a first for Bryce. Luke was vintage Luke against the trees in the middle-- he fought for every loose ball and he got knocked to the floor but got back up. He also hit some huge shots.

The bast thing about this game is that we won and at times I really did not think we were playing that well. But we hit shots and we defended like crazy. Maybe this team does have some talent!

The team and the coaches deserve a lot of credit in coming back from the 20 point game. RM did a lot of substituting and when we were up 47-35 with 7 minutes to go and he took out both Tommie and Luke I almost had a heart attack.

They immediately went on a run and cut it to four but we held them off. Great win for our Billikens!

We have lost like what? 2 home games in the A-10 in the last 3 years

Great game overall. Return of the Liddell

If they dont run that motion offense they will win a lot of games. The assisstant coaches put that offense in there. GREAT JOB COACHES

We have lost like what? 2 home games in the A-10 in the last 3 years

Great game overall. Return of the Liddell

Indeed. All hail TL III! I think he's finally re-realizing that he can score at will. And WHAT A PASS ahead to DB on that mini-break. That's the kind of play that is going to put him over the edge and get him serious looks from NBA scouts. KL must be hitting the weights as mentioned earlier. No other way to explain his erratic shooting. Maybe he's beefing up to 195 to match up to Meacham so he can whoop his ass. Maybe I'll gear up for 195, too, and join in. :P

Great win, couldn't be prouder of the team. In my mind, we've beaten two ranked teams in a row.

The last two games, Tommie has looked really good. He's had that confident look that he gets when he wants to take a game over - I love it.

Polk is killing us out there.

AK was surprisingly good. He had a few moments of cluelessness, like when he missed a layup and just turned and started running down the court, assuming it went in - otherwise, he was pretty solid. He had a really nice move against two defenders where he lowered his shoulder, gave one guy a bump to give himself a little room to operate and then laid it in. A nice effort.

It was great to see Eck get back on track. He hit some big shots out there. Good effort by Danny too.

The officiating was again pretty awful. I guess they don't call over the back anymore. Not as bad as the officiating in the Dayton game, but still pretty pathetic. I've lost my voice for the second straight game.

Temple is coming off a big win against Xavier. We need to take it to them on Sunday. If our starters (which will hopefully include Barry) can step it up and we can get great contributions off the bench like we did tonight, that will certainly help.

The officiating was again pretty awful. I guess they don't call over the back anymore. Not as bad as the officiating in the Dayton game, but still pretty pathetic. I've lost my voice for the second straight game.

Great game, but I disagree I thought the officiating was very favorable to us. Such as their star player Will Daniels having 3 fouls very early. Then he picked up his fourth foul just 15 seconds into the second half. Sure they had some make up calls close to the end that could of cost us, but it was really to late by then.

Great game, but I disagree I thought the officiating was very favorable to us. Such as their star player Will Daniels having 3 fouls very early. Then he picked up his fourth foul just 15 seconds into the second half. Sure they had some make up calls close to the end that could of cost us, but it was really to late by then.

I agree. If we'd had this crew for the Dayton game we'd have won by 5 in regulation......

Hats off to Danny Brown this game. He played great physical defense and had some very nice cuts and drives to the basket. He could of written this season off but worked his tail off and is in great shape. Great game by Brown, well the whole team really.

Last year we had two all-conference guards that took turns carrying the team for the majority of the season. They're still here.

Last year we had two all-conference guards that took turns carrying the team for the majority of the season. They're still here.

Thats why we were a middle of the pack A-10 team last year and will be the same this year. I hope they prove me wrong.

I got it on CSTV here in Baltimore so I was happy as hell. Let me say this, if basketball is supposed to be a ballet played out in shorts, our Bills remind me more of a sumo wrestling match. Sometimes, its just so rough.

Hats off to Adam, Paul and long-lost Danny for last night's effort. Too bad that one shot that Adam put up (and in) in the second half didn't go down. How much further down could it have been? He contributed and I think there's something possible there for the future.

At the 17:30 mark of the first half, Dwayne put up a three that grazed iron going from the right wing to the left baseline. He never shot the ball again. On many occassion (which was surprising to me last night) Dwayne's lead of the break got him to the foul line and then he pulled back out. In contrast, that pass from Tommie to Danny and later from Kevin to Tommie shows the huge difference in point guard play. To whomever said Dwayne is killing us, amen to that.

Right after Polk's brick, Danny launched one that landed out of bounds. Hit nothing. I thought "oh baby, are we dead." It was nice to see Danny decide to take it to the hole more than settle for a jump shot that, frankly, just ain't there.

Steve Lappas had the color spot on CSTV and I thought the crew was pretty fair. Lappas talks way too much but what can you do? I thought they were very fair to the situation of Rick coming in and having to convert Tommie and Kevin. He was also right on about playing in an over half-empty house that ain't ours and is extremely cold with the ice hockey rink underneath. We can't leave there soon enough.

Some folks will invariably say "hey, there's the Tommie we all knew was there. Who doesn't believe there is talent out there?" And I expect that. But that was the same team I saw in person in DC last week and the main difference was that the shots went in. When Eckerle has a game like that, the theory of letting the walk-on beat you goes up in flames. In DC, Tommie doesn't come close on either of his three-point buzzer beaters. And Rhode Island just didn't seem to have the seams and lane blocked up as much as GeeDub did. And if it is as I said, and that Tommie is not a point guard, neither is Kevin. They can handle the rock and are probably better at it than anyone else but in the true sense, not really. Tommie is a slasher who is best suited with the ball in his hands. Kevin is a spot up shooter and great defender. Neither is a point.

The athleticism deficit was never more evident once again than on the defensive glass. What did URI get? Double digit offensive rebounds with 21 or so second-chance points? Near the end, Luke got manhandled on a rebound off a free throw and Seawright or Daniels turned it into another three point play. And with all those guard out there, we did, on rare occasion more than the norm, get befuddled on their press. Right before half, as Lappas is explaining what a great setup the Bills have to break the press, with one guard always stationed behind the play for an outlet pass, Paul launches himself at half court and gets caught in the air for a turnover. Took the halftime lead from a possible 8 or 9 down to four and I was worried. But the overall game from Paul more than made up for that a few other faux pas where I thought the game was a little quicker than he expected.

I'd still zone this team especially when they come to my building. Even Lappas said it when he was discussing the hows and whys of what changes at home. He didn't have an answer either but he said if the Bills went into URi this year, he'd expect a 20 point win by the Rams. It just happens. Our best hope remains defending the home fires. This was a great win, no doubt, and I was beginning to think we would not defend those fires but we've right it for now. Does the curve continue up with Temple? I sure hope so.

Right now, success is getting to Atlantic City. Great game. Hope springs eternal.

To whomever said Dwayne is killing us, amen to that.

That would be me. :)

Right after Polk's brick, Danny launched one that landed out of bounds. Hit nothing. I thought "oh baby, are we dead." It was nice to see Danny decide to take it to the hole more than settle for a jump shot that, frankly, just ain't there.

In fairness to Danny, that's the one outside shot I feel comfortable with him taking - the bomb from the corner. That's really the one shot that he seems to be able to make on a consistent basis, which is why I was surprised to see him miss it so badly last night. He's really played well recently, IMO, and I've always been hard on the kid. He's doing a lot of the little things and is hustling out there.

Random: Rhody has a lot of weapons and I'm really not looking forward to playing them on their court. In addition to Daniels and Barron and Peanut Buster Parfait, that Seawright kid scares the crap out of me. Last night was the first game where he didn't light us up.

I got it on CSTV here in Baltimore so I was happy as hell. Let me say this, if basketball is supposed to be a ballet played out in shorts, our Bills remind me more of a sumo wrestling match. Sometimes, its just so rough.

Hats off to Adam, Paul and long-lost Danny for last night's effort. Too bad that one shot that Adam put up (and in) in the second half didn't go down. How much further down could it have been? He contributed and I think there's something possible there for the future.

At the 17:30 mark of the first half, Dwayne put up a three that grazed iron going from the right wing to the left baseline. He never shot the ball again. On many occassion (which was surprising to me last night) Dwayne's lead of the break got him to the foul line and then he pulled back out. In contrast, that pass from Tommie to Danny and later from Kevin to Tommie shows the huge difference in point guard play. To whomever said Dwayne is killing us, amen to that.

Steve Lappas had the color spot on CSTV and I thought the crew was pretty fair. Lappas talks way too much but what can you do? I thought they were very fair to the situation of Rick coming in and having to convert Tommie and Kevin. He was also right on about playing in an over half-empty house that ain't ours and is extremely cold with the ice hockey rink underneath. We can't leave there soon enough.

Some folks will invariably say "hey, there's the Tommie we all knew was there. Who doesn't believe there is talent out there?" And I expect that. But that was the same team I saw in person in DC last week and the main difference was that the shots went in. When Eckerle has a game like that, the theory of letting the walk-on beat you goes up in flames. In DC, Tommie doesn't come close on either of his three-point buzzer beaters. And Rhode Island just didn't seem to have the seams and lane blocked up as much as GeeDub did. And if it is as I said, and that Tommie is not a point guard, neither is Kevin. They can handle the rock and are probably better at it than anyone else but in the true sense, not really. Tommie is a slasher who is best suited with the ball in his hands. Kevin is a spot up shooter and great defender. Neither is a point.

The athleticism deficit was never more evident once again than on the defensive glass. What did URI get? Double digit offensive rebounds with 21 or so second-chance points? Near the end, Luke got manhandled on a rebound off a free throw and Seawright or Daniels turned it into another three point play. And with all those guard out there, we did, on rare occasion more than the norm, get befuddled on their press. Right before half, as Lappas is explaining what a great setup the Bills have to break the press, with one guard always stationed behind the play for an outlet pass, Paul launches himself at half court and gets caught in the air for a turnover. Took the halftime lead from a possible 8 or 9 down to four and I was worried. But the overall game from Paul more than made up for that a few other faux pas where I thought the game was a little quicker than he expected.

I'd still zone this team especially when they come to my building. Even Lappas said it when he was discussing the hows and whys of what changes at home. He didn't have an answer either but he said if the Bills went into URi this year, he'd expect a 20 point win by the Rams. It just happens. Our best hope remains defending the home fires. This was a great win, no doubt, and I was beginning to think we would not defend those fires but we've right it for now. Does the curve continue up with Temple? I sure hope so.

Right now, success is getting to Atlantic City. Great game. Hope springs eternal.

Without knowing, I suspect that Polk has been told by the Coach to pull up on the fast break and set up the offense in the half court, if there is any risk that the fast break cannot be converted. Sometimes it seems he could take it to the hoop, but he is so short that he is at great risk of having his shot blocked. As for passing to someone else on the break, that is another story. Liddell had a great pass to Danny Brown last night.

I agree that Tommie Liddell and Kevin Lisch are best suited as off guards. Liddell is a real good slasher who can also shoot, and ordinarily Lisch is a good shooter, both spot up and pulling back off the dribble. Liddell overall played a strong game last night against URI. It is very good that SLU has both of these fine players.

Again for significant minutes of last night's game, SLU was playing a lineup with no player taller than 6'5". We saw the same thing in person for a time in the IUPUI game. Luke Meyer has gone from being a 3, to a 4 by necessity, and now in some parts of games actually is playing the 5. He has the heart of a lion out there. We love watching him play ball.

It was good to see a contribution from Adam Knollmeyer. Give him a chance.

Re the zone, does Temple still play that East Coast zone under Coach Dunphy like it did under Coach Chaney? Those Owls used to swarm like amoebas. But you can beat that zone with good, crisp, and quick passing, and good outside shooting.

I think the key to the game was that Adam and Bryce combined for 8 points and 13 boards. TL3 was outstanding, but I think the big men helped open things up.

Without knowing, I suspect that Polk has been told by the Coach to pull up on the fast break and set up the offense in the half court, if there is any risk that the fast break cannot be converted. Sometimes it seems he could take it to the hoop, but he is so short that he is at great risk of having his shot blocked. As for passing to someone else on the break, that is another story. Liddell had a great pass to Danny Brown last night.

I agree that Tommie Liddell and Kevin Lisch are best suited as off guards. Liddell is a real good slasher who can also shoot, and ordinarily Lisch is a good shooter, both spot up and pulling back off the dribble. Liddell overall played a strong game last night against URI. It is very good that SLU has both of these fine players.

Again for significant minutes of last night's game, SLU was playing a lineup with no player taller than 6'5". We saw the same thing in person for a time in the IUPUI game. Luke Meyer has gone from being a 3, to a 4 by necessity, and now in some parts of games actually is playing the 5. He has the heart of a lion out there. We love watching him play ball.

It was good to see a contribution from Adam Knollmeyer. Give him a chance.

Re the zone, does Temple still play that East Coast zone under Coach Dunphy like it did under Coach Chaney? Those Owls used to swarm like amoebas. But you can beat that zone with good, crisp, and quick passing, and good outside shooting.

I'm must be one of the few if not the only one that would love to (and think he's better suited for it) at the point. Not on this team, as we don't have any weapons and need Tommie to score, but imo Tommie has always had good vision, and with a little more focus on protecting the ball could have been and could still be a great pg if he had more talent around him.

Adam played a nice game and looked far more comfortable out there than he has in the past. His feet weren't quite as anxious. He had a couple of nice boards in traffic, if he can continue to build on this game and give us 10-15 mpg this year it really changes the look of the team and will allow Barry to spend more time at the 4 along side him or Bryce. I'd love to see Tommie manning the point with Kevin at the 2, Luke at the 3, Barry at the 4, and Bryce and Adam getting almost if not all of the time at the 5.

At least Adam's good game should help him find a school to transfer to. It's good that he was able to put aside being told his scholly wasn't being renewed and understand that a good game will bring more suiters for his services.

I'm must be one of the few if not the only one that would love to (and think he's better suited for it) at the point. Not on this team, as we don't have any weapons and need Tommie to score, but imo Tommie has always had good vision, and with a little more focus on protecting the ball could have been and could still be a great pg if he had more talent around him.

Adam played a nice game and looked far more comfortable out there than he has in the past. His feet weren't quite as anxious. He had a couple of nice boards in traffic, if he can continue to build on this game and give us 10-15 mpg this year it really changes the look of the team and will allow Barry to spend more time at the 4 along side him or Bryce. I'd love to see Tommie manning the point with Kevin at the 2, Luke at the 3, Barry at the 4, and Bryce and Adam getting almost if not all of the time at the 5.

At least Adam's good game should help him find a school to transfer to. It's good that he was able to put aside being told his scholly wasn't being renewed and understand that a good game will bring more suiters for his services.

skip, after tommie's lack of focus beat us in the couple of key games, i am reluctant to put him back there for now. however i wont argue that tommie has all the other tools to be a good point guard. we just cant handle the turnovers. the slu margin of error is slight. those turnovers kill.

that said, your dream would likely be closer to reality again if we give knollmeyer additional time. if luke slides to sf, and we have two legit inside players playing, we all know it isnt kevin and tommie that will get the short end of that minutes adjustment. i.e. someone or both between lisch and liddell will be playing point.

Skip I agree with you about Tommie being a point guard. Yes he turned the ball over too often last year but his court vision is far superior to anyone else on the team. I have also come to accept Polk as the best option we have at the point unless you use Tommie. Paul does not handle it that well, and I think it's killing Kevin's offense when he handles the point. I don't think it's an accident that Kevin handled the point a lot last night and only got 4 shots. I've come to the conclusion that Polks got to play if you care about Kevins offense.

Skip I agree with you about Tommie being a point guard. Yes he turned the ball over too often last year but his court vision is far superior to anyone else on the team. I have also come to accept Polk as the best option we have at the point unless you use Tommie. Paul does not handle it that well, and I think it's killing Kevin's offense when he handles the point. I don't think it's an accident that Kevin handled the point a lot last night and only got 4 shots. I've come to the conclusion that Polks got to play if you care about Kevins offense.

I will take four points from Kevin every night if we play as well offensively as a team as we did last night for the rest of the year. I just don't think Tommie is the better option. Help is on the way with Mitchell next year.

I will take four points from Kevin every night if we play as well offensively as a team as we did last night for the rest of the year. I just don't think Tommie is the better option. Help is on the way with Mitchell next year.

Can we realistically expect to play that well on offense with a pg that never gives us any offensive production? That's my concern. It just shows how much we need 2 of our big 3 players (LM, KL, and TL) to perform. And when 2 of 3 don't perform well...

Can we realistically expect to play that well on offense with a pg that never gives us any offensive production? That's my concern. It just shows how much we need 2 of our big 3 players (LM, KL, and TL) to perform. And when 2 of 3 don't perform well...

Polk has been held scoreless the last 3 games. You just cant have that from your starting point guard and expect to win.

Here's a suggestion: Each game, do the pressure test. If the other team doesn't excel in pressuring the ball then bring Polk in off the bench and let Lisch or Liddell start at the point.

I agree 100%. Polk can be successful is certain situations but for him to get 30 minutes a night contributing nothing just kills this team. After this game I think you will see his minutes decrease, hopefully