anyone listening to frank and rammer today

billiken_roy

who is tom holley?

family used to own all the old "grandpa's" stores. always been a big booster. i believe in the 80's and maybe before was the color analyst for billiken tv broadcasts.

Billiken-roy - anything in particular in which he was negative about or just the overall results thus far?

Holley just wasn't big on the way Majerus has been talking about his players - negative stuff. He said he just thought there was a negative tone surrounding the program right now. Rammer said he didn't see it, which I guess wasn't too surprising.

Holley just wasn't big on the way Majerus has been talking about his players - negative stuff. He said he just thought there was a negative tone surrounding the program right now. Rammer said he didn't see it, which I guess wasn't too surprising.

that was what i heard as well. keep in mind though that tom holley has been a billiken rah rah guy forever. a constant defender of the program from all angles. so to hear him question any aspect is surprising.

I may be incorrect, but I don't think Tom is a big player these days. Back in the late 80's, when we were a small-time program that played games in the old Kiel Auditorium as a member of the MCC, Tom was a big booster. I haven't heard much about Tom's association with SLU these days.

tom is on frank's panel show quite a bit and ALWAYS weighs in heavily as a billiken booster and positive fan when on.

family used to own all the old "grandpa's" stores. always been a big booster. i believe in the 80's and maybe before was the color analyst for billiken tv broadcasts.

That's all I had to hear. Tom Holley's a badass MF. Grandpa Pigeon's® might as well have had a Meth aisle - hoosiers could get ANYTHING else they needed there. I remember the one in Farmington, MO used to have racks upon racks of blemished NBA replica jerseys right up front back when everybody and their brother owned multiple NBA jerseys. $10 bucks no matter if it was a single misplaced stitch or the dude's name printed upside down on the front of the jersey. My buddy said he saw some great fights in the parking lot of this Grandpa's by his house growing up. I don't doubt it. They were probably fighting over said jerseys. Grandpa Pigeon's® is the HELL YEAH warehouse of all things hoosier.

That's all I had to hear. Tom Holley's a badass MF. Grandpa Pigeon's® might as well have had a Meth aisle - hoosiers could get ANYTHING else they needed there. I remember the one in Farmington, MO used to have racks upon racks of blemished NBA replica jerseys right up front back when everybody and their brother owned multiple NBA jerseys. $10 bucks no matter if it was a single misplaced stitch or the dude's name printed upside down on the front of the jersey. My buddy said he saw some great fights in the parking lot of this Grandpa's by his house growing up. I don't doubt it. They were probably fighting over said jerseys. Grandpa Pigeon's® is the HELL YEAH warehouse of all things hoosier.

but that doesnt mean that the holley family didnt make some $$$$ out of it.

but i do agree with your assessment of the typical scene at those stores.

ha ha....Hoosier. I haven't heard that word in years. I had no idea what a hoosier was when I arrived in STL and I haven't heard somebody use it since I left. Must be a midwest thing.

I may be incorrect, but I don't think Tom is a big player these days. Back in the late 80's, when we were a small-time program that played games in the old Kiel Auditorium as a member of the MCC, Tom was a big booster. I haven't heard much about Tom's association with SLU these days.

I think Tom was a bigger booster of Rich Grawer than the overall program. When Rich was fired Tom disappeared.

I think Tom was a bigger booster of Rich Grawer than the overall program. When Rich was fired Tom disappeared.

and coincidentally, grawer was on the show with tom today.

He's actually a Wash U. grad - he was there the same time as Papa Box.

At one point, his family owned Grandpa's, Omni Sports and Forsyth Computers (remember that one?). They sold Grandpa's to Value City and then Tom started up the chain of Deals dollar stores, which he sold for a cool $30 million a few years ago. Not bad. Grandpa's was doing $200 million in sales when they sold it.

I am glad Majerus is here but it is a little sickening how Frank and Ramsey prostrate themselves now for Majerus, after a few months earlier asking Brad to "pray for them" at Mass every day. Have they no shame?

I listened to the most of the discussion referred to in this thread. First, Tom Holley said that all he knew was what he had read in the papers and when Rammer asked him had he not heard all the times that RM said he loved his kids as people and that they are trying hard but he knows it is difficult for them to make the change, Holley said no. Rammer than said that clearly he was not listening because RM has said it many times. Holley then admitted that maybe he was did not have the full story and kind of sort of apologized. Grawer then said that while he does not want to blame this impression on the media that he does think that not all of what RM says is being reported as widely as his other comments. He also said that he is a little confused by some who complain that all they get is coach's lines that say nothing from other coaches so now they get a coach who actually speaks frankly and now they are only reporting part of it. Grawer and Rammer where on the same page with this. Not sure if Frank said anything or not. Point is, to the uniformed as Holley clearly was on this topic, what they read in the paper or hear someone repeat is all they know - so, Holley clearly is not a player at SLU athletics or he would have been better informed.

I listened to the most of the discussion referred to in this thread. First, Tom Holley said that all he knew was what he had read in the papers and when Rammer asked him had he not heard all the times that RM said he loved his kids as people and that they are trying hard but he knows it is difficult for them to make the change, Holley said no. Rammer than said that clearly he was not listening because RM has said it many times. Holley then admitted that maybe he was did not have the full story and kind of sort of apologized. Grawer then said that while he does not want to blame this impression on the media that he does think that not all of what RM says is being reported as widely as his other comments. He also said that he is a little confused by some who complain that all they get is coach's lines that say nothing from other coaches so now they get a coach who actually speaks frankly and now they are only reporting part of it. Grawer and Rammer where on the same page with this. Not sure if Frank said anything or not. Point is, to the uniformed as Holley clearly was on this topic, what they read in the paper or hear someone repeat is all they know - so, Holley clearly is not a player at SLU athletics or he would have been better informed.

As I recall Tom Holly was color man for TV. He spoke about a recruit we were seeking and indicated that the person should come to SLU. The remarks were regarded as being in violation of NCAA rules. Television solicitation of the recruit. Joe Wiley replaced Tom Holly. What I remember about Granpa's is stepping over the empty oil cans littering the parking lot.

Hoosier can be derogatory, but this is not the case in the great state of Indiana.

I am mystified by criticism of RM in light of his excellent recruiting and early signees.

As I recall Tom Holly was color man for TV. He spoke about a recruit we were seeking and indicated that the person should come to SLU. The remarks were regarded as being in violation of NCAA rules. Television solicitation of the recruit. Joe Wiley replaced Tom Holly. What I remember about Granpa's is stepping over the empty oil cans littering the parking lot.

Hoosier can be derogatory, but this is not the case in the great state of Indiana.

I am mystified by criticism of RM in light of his excellent recruiting and early signees.

First of all, let me state that I am a big fan of RM and glad that he is our coach. That said, I do agree with Holley in regards to the negative comment of RM about the current team. I don't understand why he continually has to voice his displeasure about the talent of the current roster. Everyone is fully aware that he isn't responsible for the current players. I don't think it serves any purpose to continually complain to the media about the shortcoming of the team. He is greatly exaggerating when he says no one on the team has the work ethic to be good player. You can't tell me that players like KL,LM, and DP aren't busting their rears to improve their game. I also don't think it helps with recruiting when prospects hear the coach putting down it's current players. It just seems to me that RM is a little paranoid that people might be blaming him for the current team and that he wants to make sure that everyone knows that it isn't his fault. That said, I am very optimistic that in the next couple of years that this will be a very good team.

Tom Holly has, in fact, be involved in various business deals since selling the Grandpa's chain. He has invested, and still invests, in various commercial real estate deals and not too long along did get out of the dollar store business. Over 10 years ago, believe he also did commercials which aired during Billiken games. Cannot say how big of a booster he is anymore but a close family member of mine, who knows him personally, said hello to him at a local restaurant where he had been meeting with Earl Austin Jr. Holly told my family family member "it's a done deal" - reference to the hiring of RM - the same day the news was reported on KFNS that RM agreed to coach. The press conference - after presumably more details were worked out - occured 3 days or so later. My point - Holly most likely got the news from Earl, as opposed to from SLU. Clearly, Holly was not part of the loop to get RM but did/does have connections to meet with Earl, and possibly others, during that busy time.

As I recall Tom Holly was color man for TV. He spoke about a recruit we were seeking and indicated that the person should come to SLU. The remarks were regarded as being in violation of NCAA rule.

thanks, for the clarification as to why Holley was dropped. He was a Billiken advertiser and color man. Kind of like Kim Tucci in the 1990's; it seems each generation it gets more expensive to be in the eye of the media. When we move to the Chaifetz will be still get deals at the Italian restaurants? Certainly, Joe Wiley outclasses him and knows the rules. I believe that Tom Holley and Grandpa's kept the Bills on TV more often. I believe Holley then moved his act to UMSL. I don't know why Grawer or Holley would be expected to add anything quote worthy-neither is connected to D1 college sports these days. If Easy Ed MacCauley was up to it he would have been a

more devoted guest. Grawer is more of a Missouri fan these days- he was an unpaid assistant at Mizzou before coming to SLU, I believe

"Holley clearly is not a player at SLU athletics or he would have been better informed."

Cheeseman, RM is failing in his message if only people in the know are aware of his substantial communications with players/press and post game assessments. He is a quote machine, and it would not be hard to get the press to lengthen their quotes to include both positive AND negative comments. When only the negative comments make the media, even if correct, then many people start viewing him as an uncaring, abrupt arse.

Holley was a player for a number of years for SLU, and in a similar vein, Chris Condon and Karen Foss were major players for KSDK-TV. If Karen said she had concerns about the current Channel 5 management team, it would still carry some water in my book.

When RM himself generates four or five quoted game assessments with a negative slant, most folks who aren't donating $10K a year will start wondering WTF is going on at West Pine.

An alternate take to the negativity is those who are not criticizing the program are happy because all will be well in two or three years.

roy, you are loving this, and you are spinning it in your favor. please tell me the last time you saw tom holley at a bills game or even on tv or radio talking bills. the guy hasn't been a big bills rah rah guy since the 1980s.

that was what i heard as well. keep in mind though that tom holley has been a billiken rah rah guy forever. a constant defender of the program from all angles. so to hear him question any aspect is surprising.