Preseason Questions

davidnark

I have been out of the loop for a while. Can anyone answers (or provide thoughts) re the following questions, which I think are part of the keys this season:

1. What is the health status of the team? Is Husak's foot recovered? Tommie's leg? Kevin's finger? Knollmeyer's cardio or other issue? Will Danny play at all these year? Is everyone else at full health?

2. Will Meyer play on the perimeter this year or will Majerus be forced to slide him down low?

3. Will Relphorde have the D1 intensity? Will Mitchell have the D1 skill?

4. Can Eberhardt defend and crash the boards down low?

5. Can Dwayne Polk finally find an outside shot and/or a consistent roll on the team?

6. Where does Maguire fit in with this team? Do he and Majerus share common expectations?

1. I expect Husak, Kevin and Tommie to be fine. Knollmeyer may not play even if healthy so it doesn't matter really. Danny may play after the start of the season but don't expect him to be real effective if he does play this year.

2. Majerus wants to play him off the bench backing up the 3 and sometimes the 4. I predict Meyer will play his way back into the starting lineup, most likely at the 4. He is too good to be kept off the floor.

3. I'd bet on Mitchell getting minutes before Relphorde. Neither of them are polished players but Mitchell is an absolute warrior on the floor. His attitude will get him minutes from the beginning. That said neither will see much time unless the upperclassmen falter.

4. I'll believe it when I see it. I know this, if Eberhart is another Newborne he won't be starting every game like Vash'un did his jr and most of his sr year.

5. No. Polk is too ineffective to be nothing more than a role player. As a team we can't afford to play to his strengths and he gives up too much in the half court game on both ends of the floor. Polk might start but 20 minutes a game is the most I see him playing if our team is good.

6. I'd like to see Maguire play well but I don't think he has it. If he fails to break into the rotation he will leave the program after this season or maybe before it is over.

1. I expect Husak, Kevin and Tommie to be fine. Knollmeyer may not play even if healthy so it doesn't matter really. Danny may play after the start of the season but don't expect him to be real effective if he does play this year.

2. Majerus wants to play him off the bench backing up the 3 and sometimes the 4. I predict Meyer will play his way back into the starting lineup, most likely at the 4. He is too good to be kept off the floor.

3. I'd bet on Mitchell getting minutes before Relphorde. Neither of them are polished players but Mitchell is an absolute warrior on the floor. His attitude will get him minutes from the beginning. That said neither will see much time unless the upperclassmen falter.

4. I'll believe it when I see it. I know this, if Eberhart is another Newborne he won't be starting every game like Vash'un did his jr and most of his sr year.

5. No. Polk is too ineffective to be nothing more than a role player. As a team we can't afford to play to his strengths and he gives up too much in the half court game on both ends of the floor. Polk might start but 20 minutes a game is the most I see him playing if our team is good.

6. I'd like to see Maguire play well but I don't think he has it. If he fails to break into the rotation he will leave the program after this season or maybe before it is over.

I agree with your most of your comments with the exception of few things:

1.With regards to Danny, he actually has said that he expects to be healthy for the season. He took part in conditioning this past month and said his knee is holding up. I think a healthy Danny Brown may be an asset to this team. If Majerus can coach him to protect the ball better, he can be effective coming off the bench as a spot-up shooter.

3. Although Anthony Mitchell may see minutes before Relphorde, I wouldn't count either out as seeing significant minutes. Majerus has said that he likes the intensity Mitchell brings to the floor. He could be the perfect energy guy that this team lacked last year. Granted its not much of a comparison, but as far as attitude and approach to this game, he may bring some of the qualities we missed when Drejaj left. And as far as Relphorde goes, he's competed at a high level before in prep-school. He has the physical makeup to be a solid contributor, and with coaching of Majerus, we may see both him and Mitchell be keys to this year's success. Especially assuming that Rick will utilize his bench a great deal more than we saw Brad do last year.

4. We are definitely going to need BE to come in and contribute. We lack front court depth after Bryce. Knollmeyer is still a question mark with his health issues, and Luke has his limitations as a 4.

With that being said...I can't wait for this season to get going. Hopefully some things go our way and we can find ourselves dancing come March. GO BILLS!

I agree with your most of your comments with the exception of few things:

1.With regards to Danny, he actually has said that he expects to be healthy for the season. He took part in conditioning this past month and said his knee is holding up. I think a healthy Danny Brown may be an asset to this team. If Majerus can coach him to protect the ball better, he can be effective coming off the bench as a spot-up shooter.

3. Although Anthony Mitchell may see minutes before Relphorde, I wouldn't count either out as seeing significant minutes. Majerus has said that he likes the intensity Mitchell brings to the floor. He could be the perfect energy guy that this team lacked last year. Granted its not much of a comparison, but as far as attitude and approach to this game, he may bring some of the qualities we missed when Drejaj left. And as far as Relphorde goes, he's competed at a high level before in prep-school. He has the physical makeup to be a solid contributor, and with coaching of Majerus, we may see both him and Mitchell be keys to this year's success. Especially assuming that Rick will utilize his bench a great deal more than we saw Brad do last year.

4. We are definitely going to need BE to come in and contribute. We lack front court depth after Bryce. Knollmeyer is still a question mark with his health issues, and Luke has his limitations as a 4.

With that being said...I can't wait for this season to get going. Hopefully some things go our way and we can find ourselves dancing come March. GO BILLS!

Exactly what are AK's health issues? All I heard was he nearly passed/gassed out playing pickup in an overheated WP. Now, you'd think a 19-20 athlete whose supposed to be in top physical condition could handle that, but maybe he's got asthma or something else. Does anyone know if he's got some chronic illness that will limit him?

I would agree with Torch's assessment for the most part just from reading the posts here. Although, I'd expect MR to be like 7 or 8 off the bench. He's played with some big time talent and avg'd 13 points and 4 boards. 6'7'" and athletic, we don't have a lot of those guys yet.

The keys appear to be Husak and BE. If we have zero going for us on the inside, teams will find us easy to defend making life difficult for KL and TL on the perimiter. It's gonna' be interesting seeing just how much RM can get out of this squad. How they will take to a new level of instensity is another big question mark. RM didn't win 442 games with the advantage of having Duke and KY talent, he did it by extracting the most out of the talent he had. Which probably means they worked harder than anyone else.

Have you ever been in West pine Gym in the summer? It is a steambath....even the most conditioned kids can feel the effects....fortunately men's basketball season is in the winter.

Exactly what are AK's health issues? All I heard was he nearly passed/gassed out playing pickup in an overheated WP. Now, you'd think a 19-20 athlete whose supposed to be in top physical condition could handle that, but maybe he's got asthma or something else. Does anyone know if he's got some chronic illness that will limit him?

I would agree with Torch's assessment for the most part just from reading the posts here. Although, I'd expect MR to be like 7 or 8 off the bench. He's played with some big time talent and avg'd 13 points and 4 boards. 6'7'" and athletic, we don't have a lot of those guys yet.

The keys appear to be Husak and BE. If we have zero going for us on the inside, teams will find us easy to defend making life difficult for KL and TL on the perimiter. It's gonna' be interesting seeing just how much RM can get out of this squad. How they will take to a new level of instensity is another big question mark. RM didn't win 442 games with the advantage of having Duke and KY talent, he did it by extracting the most out of the talent he had. Which probably means they worked harder than anyone else.

Have you ever been in West pine Gym in the summer? It is a steambath....even the most conditioned kids can feel the effects....fortunately men's basketball season is in the winter.

I understand from previous posters that Adam suffers from fatigue.

My son plays HS basketball down here on the coast of MS in a small 1A level Catholic HS. The starting senior guard he played with about early December of last year developed what was described a similar fatigue syndrome. The poor kid would be constantly tired, the least little movement like a car ride he would 'blow lunch' and had other bad symptoms. The parents took him all over (Tulane in New Orleans, UAB in Birmingham, etc..) to try to get a diagnosis and treat it. None of them could come up with anything.

I really felt sorry for the boy because he was heartbroken he could not get in his senior season. He was not a bad SG with a decent outside shot and I know he was looking forward on having a final great year. He is in college now but when I see his parents they say he still is not over it.

I hope this is not that serious for Adam and it passes soon. I think it is key that we have a productive AK & BH for having a good run for this year.

I can't imagine being diagnosed w/ chronic fatigue. I would be irreversibly depressed I think. It would be basically the worst side effect of being a fat person. You just can't do ANYTHING. Might as well be paralyzed in my mind, depending on severity.

I think if Kevin's healthy, we're going to see a monster year from him. We've seen what Tommie can do when he has to be the man - 20+ in 6 straight games, is that correct? I think Kevin is going to really, really fill it up.

I can't imagine being diagnosed w/ chronic fatigue. I would be irreversibly depressed I think. It would be basically the worst side effect of being a fat person. You just can't do ANYTHING. Might as well be paralyzed in my mind, depending on severity.

Jimbo, the kid I described was not fat. It was quite the opposite. In fact by January he had almost 'anorexic' kind of thinness because of this.

I think AK will be just fine.

I'm interested to see how MR works out. I couldn't get a good read on him from coach's comments at the MAC last month - sounds like he has some things to work on, but I guess that can be said about just about any freshman.

Something tells me that Mitchell could quickly emerge as a fan favorite if he can get some minutes this year.

I think AK will be just fine.

I'm interested to see how MR works out. I couldn't get a good read on him from coach's comments at the MAC last month - sounds like he has some things to work on, but I guess that can be said about just about any freshman.

Something tells me that Mitchell could quickly emerge as a fan favorite if he can get some minutes this year.

At this point we need somebody who ACTUALLY knows what is going on with Adam to tell us. All the stuff that has been posted to date seems to be just speculation or hearsay. From all reports, the players who have been injured - TL, BH, DB - were expected to and have been healed in time for the season. I guess we will know about Adam today since practice starts. This team will need everybody to play this year - too many holes. LM should see quality minutes but he may not start - RM likes to have a solid guy he can count on to come of the bench and play big minutes at multiple positions . DP will play but will be asked to pinpoint pass more and I don't mean out at the perimeter playing catch with another player - can he deliver who knows this is his last shot as a senior. Bryce will have to clog the middle - forget about scoring and simply rebound, alter shots and shoot FTs. If he can do that even trailing behind the team down court then he will be given a chance to play some. BE - he has to deliver - a lot is riding on him rebounding and scoring some inside. MR and AM - they will play like - I said it will be all hands on deck for this season especially in the beginning. DM - I fear his star is fading quickly - he has to step up and deliver or it may be over for him - I am not writing him off but nobody who was suppose to be a shooter could miss as badly as he did last year nor was not able to get him self in before walk ons can endear much hope from the fans.

If Luke Meyer is not in the starting line up we have a problem. He is a senior with great work ethic and leadership. He does the dirty work and does not miss the 15 ft baseline jumper. You don't bench someone like Luke especially when he gave us 10 and 5 last year.

If Luke Meyer is not in the starting line up we have a problem. He is a senior with great work ethic and leadership. He does the dirty work and does not miss the 15 ft baseline jumper. You don't bench someone like Luke especially when he gave us 10 and 5 last year.

I agree with much of what you said. The only thing I disagree with is we have a problem if he doesn't start. If somebody on this team beats Luke Meyer out for a starting spot, I think we'll have a hell of a team.

If Luke Meyer is not in the starting line-up we have a much better team than we had last year. We don't have a problem. It means BE and BH are ready to go at the 4 and 5. It means that DP has a consistent shot. It means Luke is coming of the bench, playing multiple positions, and we are dictating match-ups. It means we are dancing.

It will be interesting to see how Luke adjusts to not having Ian at the 5. Its been said on here before but eventhough Ian had a less then stellar senior year he still got doubled and even triple teamed on a nightly basis and Luke, and to a lesser extent Kevin, reaped the benefits. He is going to have to create his own shot a lot more this year then in years past. I am confident he will exceed my expectations because thats what he has done all 4 years. As to whether he starts or not, I feel that we will be a lot better and have more depth if someone BEATS him out for a starting spot. Like Brian said we will be dictating matchups, not sure we will be dancing though.

Guest BillikenReport

One thing about guys like Mitchell and Relphorde coming off the bench ...

You're going to have Tommie Liddell and Kevin Lisch playing as many minutes as possible. The same can probably be said for Luke Meyer.

After that, there won't be that many minutes to go around. You'll have Dwayne Polk, Danny Brown, Anthony Mitchell, Marcus Relphorde, Paul Eckerle and Dustin Maguire all competing for minutes behind Liddell, Lisch and Meyer.

- Nate

I have been out of the loop for a while. Can anyone answers (or provide thoughts) re the following questions, which I think are part of the keys this season:

1. What is the health status of the team? Is Husak's foot recovered? Tommie's leg? Kevin's finger? Knollmeyer's cardio or other issue? Will Danny play at all these year? Is everyone else at full health?

2. Will Meyer play on the perimeter this year or will Majerus be forced to slide him down low?

3. Will Relphorde have the D1 intensity? Will Mitchell have the D1 skill?

4. Can Eberhardt defend and crash the boards down low?

5. Can Dwayne Polk finally find an outside shot and/or a consistent roll on the team?

6. Where does Maguire fit in with this team? Do he and Majerus share common expectations?

1. Bryce still has the soft boot. Tommie is walking alright, not sure about quickness. Kevin's finger is healed. AK is fine now and it working on gaining muscle. He has gained a ton of muscle since RM has come aboard. Danny shouldn't be expected to contribute much.

2. Luke will split time between the 3-4. Mostly the 4.

3. Relphorde and Mitchell will see limited minutes.

4. Barry will rotate 4-5

5. DP won't be shooting hardly at all this year.

6. DM will struggle to find minutes.

One thing about guys like Mitchell and Relphorde coming off the bench ...

You're going to have Tommie Liddell and Kevin Lisch playing as many minutes as possible. The same can probably be said for Luke Meyer.

After that, there won't be that many minutes to go around. You'll have Dwayne Polk, Danny Brown, Anthony Mitchell, Marcus Relphorde, Paul Eckerle and Dustin Maguire all competing for minutes behind Liddell, Lisch and Meyer.

- Nate

Nate are you saying that Adam and Barry will not be expected to play since you neglected to mention them or was it just an oversight?

I never said that LM would not play just not start. He could still play as many minutes as he has in the past but do it at multiple positions. Starting is not the issue - playing minutes are and do expect him to get his share.

Frank C. said on his show this morning that the most pleasant surprise to the coaching staff has been the play of Dwayne Polk. I remember Brad giving Polk similar kudos before the start of last season. Maybe Polk will finally put it all together in his final season. Here's hoping.

Frank also said that the 1st 3 practices this weekend, all closed to the media, will total 11 hrs: 7-11 tonight, 1-5, Saturday and 9 to 12 on Sunday. Yikes.

Here is the thing about anyone trying to project minutes right now.........we really have know clue and either does the staff. This won't even be really clear until a couple weeks into practices. All the scrimages and such over the summer were great but none of that matters now. The start of practices are really the new beginning for this program. Right now we know TL and KL are starting. That is about it. Until Rick runs them through HIS actual practices for a couple weeks he really won't have a clue how everyone else fits into what he wants to do.

Guest BillikenReport

Nate are you saying that Adam and Barry will not be expected to play since you neglected to mention them or was it just an oversight?

Cheese,

Not an oversight. I was talking about the positions that Mitchell and Relphorde play and who those guys were likely to be competing against for minutes.

Eberhardt, Husak and Knollmeyer will have to play. Husak is the only true center. Eberhardt will probably play some 4-5, possibly starting at one of those spots, and Knollmeyer will be the primary back-up at the 5 and maybe the 4.

There is some versatility with how you use Luke Meyer (3 or 4), Eberhardt (4 or 5) and Knollmeyer (4 or 5). Despite his size, I don't see Relphorde as a power forward. I suppose he could fill that spot like Meyer has, but that's obviously not your best-case scenario.

- Nate

Cheese,

Not an oversight. I was talking about the positions that Mitchell and Relphorde play and who those guys were likely to be competing against for minutes.

Eberhardt, Husak and Knollmeyer will have to play. Husak is the only true center. Eberhardt will probably play some 4-5, possibly starting at one of those spots, and Knollmeyer will be the primary back-up at the 5 and maybe the 4.

There is some versatility with how you use Luke Meyer (3 or 4), Eberhardt (4 or 5) and Knollmeyer (4 or 5). Despite his size, I don't see Relphorde as a power forward. I suppose he could fill that spot like Meyer has, but that's obviously not your best-case scenario.

- Nate

nate based on your above comments about relephorde and meyer, you were not at the mac majerus luncheon were you?

note: if i was the coach, i dont disagree with your wordsi would approach the same way, but the above is your thoughts if you were the coach, not how majerus sees it correct?