Dustin Maguire

I acknowledged the fact that 417 goes too far with his choice of words, but Abe's criticism seems to be more with his calling out of individual players. That is very common on here and every other fan board, and I just don't buy the "why don't you go say it to his face?" defense. Metz leaves himself open for criticism with his especially harsh tones and extreme metaphors, but he's far from the only one doing this.

I freely admit that I came down on JJ from the time I started posting on here last summer. From the day he stepped on campus, I never saw anything in this kid, and his 5 years proved that I was right. I was never as nuts as Metz with my statements, though, and I think a lot of people on here fall into that category.

Why should individual players be immune to criticism on here? You guys say it's open season for coaches, staff, etc., and I understand that they're mostly 18-23 year old kids, but they are in the public eye and people will naturally have opinions. You mention Ian- there was plenty of calling him out on his play this year, and not just from Metz.

No, they were technically accurate. I simply did not want to get caught up in all the stuff that his shooting % was higher because he took layups and did not shoot from outside or whatever. I let the numbers speak for themselves that is why I specifically mentioned the 3 pt %s. I really think that those tell a more clear picture of LM's shooting potential as a guard. Like I said, he simply needs to earn the minutes and should not be penciled in to get 30 minutes a game automatically.

"Like I said, he simply needs to earn the minutes and should not be penciled in to get 30 minutes a game automatically."

I agree completely.

"No, they were technically accurate."

I know they were technically accurate, but they were also misleading. The only regular player that had a higher percentage than LM was IV (and probably because of dunks/layups).

Yes, I did mention Ian, and there was a lot of undeserved calling out of him on here. Criticism is ok, but it's the way it's done. A "what the hell was JJ thinking taking that shot" or "Ian was playing way too soft in the post" comment is fine, IMHO, but the "Bryce is garbage and shouldn't be playing D-1" or "Ian is a spineless quitter" comments that have been made here (and on other boards) are taking it too far.

I take the following approach, agree or disagree if you want: if you wouldn't say it to the player's face then don't say it here. I've asked players "what the hell were you thinking" about a specific play but I'd never say "you're worthless, you suck, you don't deserve to be playing D-1 basketball" because, well, if I said that to a football player they'd probably kick my ##### and have good reason to!

It's easy to criticize when you're a faceless individual hiding behind a message board moniker pounding away on your keyboard. I know that players all over the country read message boards, recruits do too. I know players who have really been hurt by comments made on message boards and yelled at them during games to the point it has affected their games and they have later told others "I wish I hadn't gone there." I know of recruits who have decided against a school because of comments about other players they saw on message boards. A little extreme? Sure, but remember, they're 18-23 doing the best they can to represent Saint Louis University while persuing an education.

I like your approach, it's the classy way to go. It's just the unfortunate nature of the beast with message boards, which are such easy sounding boards for knee-jerk reactions. I hate to see players or coaches or anyone involved with the program reading these boards. I know some of them do, but they really should avoid it at all costs. No good can come from reading these when you're a player or coach. But keeping in mind that some of them do, I hate to see guys get ripped on at a personal level.

I think LM has proven enough that he should be considered the leader for the 3. I actually figured 32, 32, and 26. If another guard beats him out for minutes fine. His history can't just be erased. Tommie and Kevin are no different either. If a player is better they will play, though of course the chance of that happening are obviously much slimmer. Your quote of him having the 7th best shooting % o the team was obviously misleading and it seemed intenionally so as to make your point.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

I heard from a good source that MR is very, very good. I would still though think that LM would be the starter a least early in the year. I'd love to see MR surpass him, but I think LM has earned the right to be considered the starter going in.

The beauty of next season is that every single player on the roster will be given a fresh look and opportunity. I don't think we can assume that any player on the team will be presumed to have "earned" anything based upon Brad's prior standards. We know that Majerus will study last year's film very hard, but I think it is fair to assume that Brad and Rick won't necessarily look reward and criticize the same skills and deficencies. For example, Soderberg was critical and insecure of Husak's struggles (perhaps perpetuated by lack of opportunity) to guard on the perimeter, while Majerus may watch the same tape and instead be impressed by Husak's ability to block and alter players shots in the paint.

METZ, I think your roly-poly lookin' a$$ needs to get a lil' R. Lee Ermy treatment yourself. You need to work off your moobs (man boobs). I'd be happy to supply that next time I make it to St. Louis you could meet me in Forest Park with a couple of Sand Bags and some rocks. Use that Summa ###### Laude melon to figure where to get some sand-bags. Don't worry I won't ask you to do anything that I haven't/wouldn't do myself. Let me know if you feel like making the transition from trash-talking punk to man.

Guys, I said Roth CAN shoot, can't run and doesn't get after it on defense.

He is a distant cousin, so I have seen him since he was eight or so. He can score, but like Ahearn, prospers more from screens than creating his own shot. He still needs to be stronger on the ball. With his height, RM may be interested.

Like Maguire, like Ahearn, he likes to shoot, and is very willing to pull the trigger.

that may be true to a point, but I seiously doubt that the upperclassmen don't have a head start n the freshman. No matter who the coach is experience will count for something. You don't think RM will go into fall practice with the presumption that TL and KL are starters. Of course he will. I'm saying that imo Luke will have the same assumption.

I'd rate Brad a 6 as a floor coach and many games I had trouble discerning "plays" and wished someone knew how to set a screen for a shooter; I was won over by LM by season"s end but

my original assesment was if he plays 30 to35 minutes we are indeed in trouble; BS simply never got 8-10 players to play in a game and I think it was apparent he could not handle that many players; he looked like he buried guys at the end of the bench and was convinced they could not help against certain opponents. I expect RM to have more players in every game

Dustin Maquire and our other shooters would benefit from screens.

If RM is the complete coach we should expect more of DM and every player on the floor; practices and games should be

fun and quite frankly it was hard work being a Billiken fan since

Spoon

What has LM done to prove himself at the 3? What I saw last year was a kid who doesn't have the ability to hit from the outside enough to be a factor at the 3. Even DP was a better 3 pt shooter and I don't want him at the 3 either.

You don't have to be a great 3 pt shooter to be a good 3. Luke hit the midrange shot and takes the ball to the basket strong. He's smart, you rarely if ever see hi take an ill advised shot, and when he takes it to the basket he makes it as he knows when to drive and when not to. Luke has basically been playing a 3. We didn't have a 4.

Look, I'm not saying Luke is guaranteed to play 30 minutes a game, never did. What I said was I expected Luke, Tommie, and Kevin to get 90 minutes a game. I expect Tommie and Kevin to get low 30's and Luke to get mid 20's. I think Luke has earned the right to be the front runner going in, if he gets beat out ... imo that is great for the Bills. I however expect that he will get his 25 or so minutes, especially early in the year.

You have a lot more faith in Luke's mid-range game than I do. But, the thing we all have to remeber is that he is going to get 30 min a night between time at the 3 and 4. It is not like he is challenging Carter and Garnett for minutes at that those spots.

I think the best thing for the team would be for RM to be able to make it click for DP at the PG spot. You would then play KL at the 2 and TL at the 3. But, I am not going to hold my breath waiting for it to finally all come together for Polk

what i hope to see is that both polk and meyer are coming off the bench next season. imo, that means the talent has been tremendously upgraded if that happens.

I would like to know the recruits you know who have decided against a school based on what they saw on a message board?

I am not a fan of some of the garbage metz posts on here, but I think you may be overselling it a little here. And the "why don't you say it to their face" comment is completely ridiculous. If people want to post critical comments about a player or a coach or an administrator that is their prerogative.

Meyer won't sit behind a freshman. Not until one of them proves he can score and rebound at will and D up against guys that Meyer can't. It's that simple. I do however, expect Meyer's minutes to be significantly reduced.

I wasn't saying what I'd like to see happen. I'm guessing at what I think will happen especially early. I agree I'd like to see TL at the point, Kevin at the 2, MR at the 3, BE, at the 4, and BH manning the middle with LM, DP, and AM subbing for the guards and AK and a little of LM as matchups permit at the 4 and 5. I'd like for MR and BE to show enough scoring that TL can concentrate on being a great pg, which I think he can be.