Dustin Maguire

Ok,

He has had one season under his belt. Is he ever going to learn how to shoot like he did in high school? I feel like this is the start of DP all over again (without quickness).

Does anyone know if he is on a stringent athletic/shooting plan? I sure hope so, because he was slow and unathletic out there last year. Hopefully RM doesnt give up on him, but I think it might happen because RM will not continue to show him the support of UB's "shoot it whenever you are open" if Dustin is still shooting a 17% clip from three.

As I said earlier, I think it is a matter of athleticism, he is not athletic enough to play at this level as evidenced by his court presence his freshman year. Are there any any indications that he can turn it around and get some PT next year?

Nick

He is not athletic enough to play at the D-I level. Sure, he might have ruled the IHSA, but this is the NCAA. Typical of the type of recruit Soderberg brought in, the likes of which we will never see again under the new regime. Husak, Knollmeyer, MacGuire...the soft underbelly of Billiken Basketball. I'd love to get R. Lee Ermy in here to yell some sense into those kids so they can take off their lace jock straps and start being physical on the court.

I would recommend that he transfer immediately to UMSL or something.

I'm hearing DM is starting out in RMs doghouse due to his unwillingness to 'mix it up' underneath. I do remember him getting his share of key rebounds the little that he was in, though.

It will be a learning process for the team, whenever a new coach comes in. RM will be letting them know what he expects of them this coming year.

There will be one new inside player, and two frosh Mitchell and Relaforde. This will be an extremely interesting pre season. The exhibition games will be well attended, I believe.

mhg

You say the same thing about Husak...yet RM seems to be quite enamored with what he may be able to do with the guy. I'll take Majerus's opinion.

I'm not giving up on Dustin. I didn't think he looked as unathletic as say, Chris Sloan did his freshman year. Just my opinion on limited viewings. I think Dustin has a role if he gets his shot back. If he can't shoot, then he doesn't bring much to the table.

It seems that minutes at the guard will be hard to come by. I would guess with the addition Of BE that Luke will play mostly at the 3. With 120 minutes between the guards and probably 90 of those going to TL, KL, and LM there is only about 30 minutes left between DP, DM, MR, and AM.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

>You say the same thing about Husak...yet RM seems to be

>quite enamored with what he may be able to do with the guy.

>I'll take Majerus's opinion.

>

>I'm not giving up on Dustin. I didn't think he looked as

>unathletic as say, Chris Sloan did his freshman year. Just

>my opinion on limited viewings. I think Dustin has a role if

>he gets his shot back. If he can't shoot, then he doesn't

>bring much to the table.

Metz showing his lack of class by calling out and insulting these kids on a message board but not having the cajones to say it to their faces. Sack up, Metz, go over the West Pine and tell every one of these kids you mentioned to their faces that you think they suck and then report back to us how it went. TIA.

Not to start this arguement again but why would you think that LM would automatically get to play 30 min. a game at a guard position. He has not shown that he can shoot yet either. I am not saying LM won't get to play just that he will have to earn those minutes by beating back Relphorde, Dustin, Mitchell, Polk and Brown. I do agree that Tommie and Kevin will get their 30 minutes each. Whatever you did before is old news unless you are Tommie or Kevin - for everybody else, it is a new ballgame.

I don't think that's fair at all. 417 crosses the line with a lot of his knee-jerk statements, but the whole point of the message board is that people can weigh in, positive or negative. Just about everyone on here has had negative opinions on players or coaches multiple times, and the response isn't always "why don't you go say it to their faces?" Then negative opinions about players or coaches wouldn't be allowed.

Oh, and my two cents: I haven't seen anything from Dustin that indicates he'll be a factor at SLU. We got him with the expectation that he could step in and knock down open shots, which he hasn't been able to do. His awful defense has also kept him off the floor, but if he's in there at all, he just plain has to hit shots and doesn't look like he has it.

I'm not the coach. But at least he isn't a local player and would give SLU some central Illinois ties. Too many of those "iffy players" like J.R. Koch from Morton and Mitch Gilfillan from Notre Dame are passed up by bigger programs but end up having a lot of D-I success (Koch at Iowa, Gil at Lehigh). Roth would probably end up at a Northwestern or Purdue and have a great 4 years and we would be kicking ourselves for not signing him.

Can't shoot? Ever seen the kid play?

MacGuire on the other hand, doesn't have the mental capacity to play D-I and he's really slacking on the physical aspect of basketball.

And we had so much opportunity to evaluate his ability at the D-1 level. Ummm...ok.

You might ultimately be proven to be right, but you're without much foundation to make some of these assertions. But the one about his mental capacity gave me a good chuckle. As if you're one to talk about having the requisite mental capacity for much of anything. Thanks for the laugh.

you do realize that maguire was 1st team all metro player?

if he isnt a division one player, that doesnt say much for st louis talent.

Ye of many screennames accuses me of being a fraud? Umm...ok.

"so a kid who graduated summa ###### laude from SLU doesn't have any room to talk about mental capacity?"

If that kid is you, nope. I don't know you through academia, i only know you through this board, and you have been far from a representation of a summa ###### laude graduate of SLU on this board. In support of my opinion are your recent borderline racist comments as well as your numerous less than summa ###### laude-type posts.

The talent speaks for itself in Saint Louis. A ton of guys are getting offers. 08 is a great class. 09 is already very good with 3 potential high major bigs so far and 2010 is promising with 2 potential high major bigs. Maguire is in the same situation Matt Lawrence was in last year. Majerus loves shooters. The book on Maguire's career is far from closed.

vtime, i agree. i was just pointing out to metz he is way off base on this attack on dustin.

dustin's lack of playing and production is more a statement of soderberg's typical under use of freshmen players. lisch and liddell were the exceptions.

Luke had the 7th highest shooting % on the team and the same from the 3pt line. It is his 3pt shooting that probably will tell more of how he will do as a guard. I am not saying he won't improve since he has shown an ability to do what is necessary to get it done but as of now he should not get preferencial treatment - he simply needs to earn the minutes.

Thanks cheese, i don't know where i came up with that then. Obviously, i was pretty off base.

I agree that he needs to earn the minutes. A battle between LM and MR for the starting 3 spot can only be a good thing for the team (this assumes BE is at the 4).

He did have the 6th best FT% in school history. He averaged about 10 and 5. I dont see why he shouldn't get preferential treatment, not to the extent of Lisch and Liddell however He's done nothing but exceed expectations however.

with a shooting percentage higher than LM were none other than Dixon, AK, Wendell, jeff coffey and Obi. Of the players receiving regular minutes, only IV had a higher shooting percentage.

I still agree with your post, but your numbers are misleading.

>I don't think that's fair at all. 417 crosses the line with

>a lot of his knee-jerk statements, but the whole point of

>the message board is that people can weigh in, positive or

>negative. Just about everyone on here has had negative

>opinions on players or coaches multiple times, and the

>response isn't always "why don't you go say it to their

>faces?" Then negative opinions about players or coaches

>wouldn't be allowed.

>

The kid just finished his freshman season. Did we see anything out of Ian as freshman to indicate how good he'd become? I can point to plenty of instances where guys looked bad as freshmen then blossomed as they got experience.

As for the original point of the post, I do not think it is appropriate to call out individual players. Coaches, sure, they're adults getting paid to do a job, but 18-22 year old kids, I think there should be limits. Criticize shot selection, criticize missing an assignment on D but Metz's previous posts calling Bryce "garbage" and saying these guys "suck" crosses the line. Just my 2 cents.

I also have to agree with V-Time.

Between Soderberg not playing 1 yr players, coupled with an offense that I don't think was geared to a Maguire-type player, I think Dustin's better days are ahead of him.

Majerus gears his offense to what his players are capable of doing, not relying on players to fit into a particular system.

From what I saw last year at the shoot arounds, Dustin is an above average, square up shooting guard. Majerus will utilize that feature for Dustin, instead of forcing Dustin into trying to create off the dribble, as Soderberg wanted from him.