TT Article About Brad's Firing

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...A2?OpenDocument

It sounds like provost Joe Weixlmann, SLU's chief educational officer and Levick's boss, was the driver of the decision to fire Brad. Levick made a recommendation to retain Brad in a season-ending report to Weixlmann. Weixlmann didn't necessarily agree with her recommendation, so he elevated the issue to Biondi. As part of the process, Biondi met with Brad and gave him an opportunity to state his case. TT fails to mention or discuss the boosters and key board members role in the decision and process.

It sounds like a reasonable explanation to me. Why didn't they did that interview the day he was fired?

Does anyone know who the four players he had pratice were? I assume Tommie was one, per TDell's previous post. I would assume Kevin would be another since they're the top two players and he wants to get to know them to make sure they will stay. Two others I would bet would be Bryce and AK to see what he's got in big men. Luke and Dwayne are both going to be seniors so you figure they'll stay and there is plenty of film on them to evaluate.

It was actually two separate practices with four players each, for a total of eight players.

Ian and JJ are graduating. I assume that leaves Lisch, Liddell, Meyer, Polk, Husak, Knollmeyer, Maguire, and either Danny Brown (who is recovering from injury) or one of the walk-ons.

The interesting part of this story is that Ms. Levick says that it was Fr. Bionid's decision to fire Brad as she had made her recommendation to retain him. This goes against what Fr. Biondi said this week at the Arena news conference. I would definitely feel that Cheryl's days as SLU's AD would be numbered.

I would also agree that TT gets only part of this story down on paper, as we still don't know how much if any boosters factored into Fr. Biondi's decision to pull the trigger on Brad. Did Chaifetz or any other influential boosters also have Fr. Biondi's ear during the 6 weeks it took. Frankly, that may be something we never learn. In the end the Majerus hiring is the good pub that Fr. Biondi needed. As a Billiken fan I hope that it will dawn a new and very succesful era for SLU hoops.

I actually don't believe that Biondi said it was Cheryl's decision, he only said it was Cheryl's job to answers questions about the decision. This article reflects that approach. Frankly, I would much rather have Cheryl explaining the decision than the publicly-awkward Father B.

I agree 100%. I don't remember Biondi stating it was Cheryl's decision. I said when it first happened that I tought this was the way it probably happened and imo it is the way it should have went down. After her evaluation Cheryl had the same thoughts I would have had, but Biondi did't agree, at least in Biondi's defense he asked for more info. It sounds as if they all respected Brad and wanted to make absolutely sure that the right decision was being made. It's the way it should be. My only thoughts are that when they can see there might be some qustions (and there should have been) they need to start the process earlier. In the end though waiting didn't turn out to be a bad thing. They had RM's undivided attention.

I feel bad for Brad and I would have been in favor of another year, but I think they used due process and came to a decision and though I'd have waited, I certainly can't say I don't understand the decision.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Really the thing that pushed this decision was the arena. Had SLU not been investing 80.5 million, some of it our money, I believe Soderberg would have had one more year. The information gathering is also the key, what additional info did they gather, Majerus woul be interested, 2008 recruits not likely to commit to SLU etc.... But the only thing that makes this a good decision is stepping up to the plate and forking out $$$$ and getting Majerus.

it's good spin as biondi is now in repair mode for all his gaffs over the last ten days.

why not just plan things a little better in the first place.

after it was reported RM was interested in Creighton? The timing isn't a bad fit and it might have encouraged the powers that be to think if CU is attractive why not SLU? It also fits if RM was in fact the only person contacted about the opening. Just a theory. We will never know what actually happened.

Good article - it looks like it played out as some of us had said - CL was part of the process, knew what was going on, and simply did have her recommendation taken by Biondi. Happens all the time. Clearly Brad knew what was going on and had his chance to state his case. Can't ask for anything more. Great news on the season tix sales - I really was interested in if the hiring would have that much of an immediate impact.

I have spent a lot of time on the phone and in meeting with people over the last week or so trying to get the story on Brad's firing. This article accurately describes what I have learned although I have not posted much because most people spoke to me confidentially.

The major mistake was the way the firing was announced--If they had just said what happened -- in the way described in the TT article--to the press on the day that Brad was fired it would have saved Brad and others a lot of embarrassment from the rampant speculation, much on this board, about what had happened. There may have been some second guessing but at least the speculation would have been stopped.

I had spoken to Cheryl a number of times and although Courtside kept posting here that he had inside information that she wanted to fire Brad and I did not know anything, she always told me that she wanted to see that Brad had one more year to see what he could do. I agreed with her and so I was very suprised to see Brad fired. She has now confirmed that she reccomended that Brad be given one more year.

After much analysis and a meeting with Brad, Father Biondi with input from his staff, came to a different conclusion. I respect his right as the president of the University to make that decision. From what I have learned none of this is "spin", it just confirms the facts.

It turned out that Father Biondi was able to do something that I thought was financially impossible, that is to entice a big time coach to come to SLU and take the job coaching our beloved Billikens. I must say, as much as I supported Brad, that if someone had come to me and said that we could get Rick Majerus then I would have probably said if we were sure to get him then maybe a change was justified in order to generate "buzz" for the sale of tickets in the new arena. I just never thought that the university would be able to pay the price but it appears that some boosters have come through and that is fantastic. In the end, in my opinion, the decision was made because of the new arena and the new ticket policy that will require a donation for the very best seats. Brad was not percieved, and it was his own fault to some extent, as a big time coach who could generate big excitement from fans and boosters and the media.

If Rick stays healthy, and we win games and get some big time recruits, then we will fill the new arena, generate some nice contributions and Father Biondi will look like a genius. If not, then it will go down as a valiant attempt, executed in a very clumsy fashion, to upgrade our coaching staff.

>I have spent a lot of time on the phone and in meeting with

>people over the last week or so trying to get the story on

>Brad's firing. This article accurately describes what I have

>learned although I have not posted much because most people

>spoke to me confidentially.

>

>The major mistake was the way the firing was announced--If

>they had just said what happened -- in the way described in

>the TT article--to the press on the day that Brad was fired

>it would have saved Brad and others a lot of embarrassment

>from the rampant speculation, much on this board, about what

>had happened. There may have been some second guessing but

>at least the speculation would have been stopped.

>

>I had spoken to Cheryl a number of times and although

>Courtside kept posting here that he had inside information

>that she wanted to fire Brad and I did not know anything,

>she always told me that she wanted to see that Brad had one

>more year to see what he could do. I agreed with her and so

>I was very suprised to see Brad fired. She has now confirmed

>that she reccomended that Brad be given one more year.

>

>After much analysis and a meeting with Brad, Father Biondi

>with input from his staff, came to a different conclusion. I

>respect his right as the president of the University to make

>that decision. From what I have learned none of this is

>"spin", it just confirms the facts.

>

>It turned out that Father Biondi was able to do something

>that I thought was financially impossible, that is to entice

>a big time coach to come to SLU and take the job coaching

>our beloved Billikens. I must say, as much as I supported

>Brad, that if someone had come to me and said that we could

>get Rick Majerus then I would have probably said if we were

>sure to get him then maybe a change was justified in order

>to generate "buzz" for the sale of tickets in the new arena.

>I just never thought that the university would be able to

>pay the price but it appears that some boosters have come

>through and that is fantastic. In the end, in my opinion,

>the decision was made because of the new arena and the new

>ticket policy that will require a donation for the very best

>seats. Brad was not percieved, and it was his own fault to

>some extent, as a big time coach who could generate big

>excitement from fans and boosters and the media.

>

>If Rick stays healthy, and we win games and get some big

>time recruits, then we will fill the new arena, generate

>some nice contributions and Father Biondi will look like a

>genius. If not, then it will go down as a valiant attempt,

>executed in a very clumsy fashion, to upgrade our coaching

>staff.

As usual you do not have your facts straight and make things up as you go along. You lump people together on many topics, and lack any and all sort of credibility on this board.

Please provide the link to where I said Levick wanted to fire Brad.

UB did get his chance to speak to Fr. Biondi, so he obviously knew he was on a very short leash. It sounds as though Spring Recruiting had little to do with the decision, as Biondi seems to have been looking long term, ie will this guy ever get it done. I think he just decided we need someone bigger, figuratively speaking that is. I also think a feeler or two may have been put out there with RM, and he indicated some interest.