Anthony Mitchell says yes to SLU.

I guarantee Bernie has never seen this guy play.

He got his info from Mo Scott. Mo Scott is involved raises red flags with me. Is Soderberg that desperate to enlist his amateurish services? And is this kid qualified?

Another wing. At this point I'll take him, although if I had my pick from the Ill Side I'd take Lacey. He's as talented and fills a need.

I have not seen him play but I gather from what I see on TV and read about him that he is a nice athlete who crashes the boards hard from the wing. BUT, I have not read of ANY other D-1 offers or even serious interest from other schools.

Am I missing something? Why are we signing more guards who are not POINT guards? He is a wing on a team full of wings

This is nothing against Anthony. I am sure he is a great young man who will come in here and become the best player he can he can be. I have heard him say that he just wants the ball more than anyone else on the floor and that is why he is such an effective rebounder. You have to love that.

The other two schollies for the spring better be reserved for a stud interior player who can score and board and a point guard. Both of these, especially the 4, need to be immediate impact players, or else next year may be worse than this year.

Brad continues to puzzle me.

SLU has 9 open scholarships between this year and next, who cares if they miss with one? This team desperately needs a 6'5'' player who can defend in the post and run the lanes in transition. If you've watched the Billikens in the A-10, they've been eaten alive by these types of guys.

Post subject: SLU lands a good recruit: Mitchell from ESL

Posted: 03 Mar 2007 23:42 pm

Staff Moderator

Sorry if this is common knowledge. Not trying to insult anyone's intelligence by repeating news that already is out there. I am just finishing dinner with my wife and got a call as we were leaving... driving home and typing this in on my Blackberry... SLU received a commitment from East St. Louis guard Anthony Mitchell. He's 6-5, can play the 1, 2 or 3 spot -- and not out of place at 4, because he's so freaking tough. Averaging about 12 points, 13 rebounds. A talent. A highly competitive, intense kid. Some good work by Soderberg. Again, sorry if this already out - I have not been online for three hours or so.

he is saying good things about Mitchell

what do our B.com talent scouts see in Mitchell?

i have seen mitchell play a few times this year. i like him a lot. he is a tough kid and very strong.

i am with torch, i would have rather have had lacey just because lacey is a better shooter and more of a point guard, but the truth is that lacey didnt play the point exclusively either as typically wilson would bring the ball down for alton and lacey would get open to score. but it seemed like lacey fit the point guard profile more so.

that said, i can tell you that mitchell is very good with the ball. he has had some very very good drives to the basket and i would consider him a combo guard. while a pure point guard would be nice, we know coach soderberg's track record with playing freshmen and especially putting the ball in the hands of freshmen as well. polk, liddell and lisch are going to handle the ball next year.

if i had to pick a billiken past or present to compare mitchell to, i am thinking of a taller justin love but not the shooter that love was? i dont know. it is hard to say what mitchell might turn out to be because he was really used all over the floor so much by eastside. all i know is he is a nice player. i think there is a lot of potential for what mitchell might turn out to be.

get us two battle tested defensive and rebounding power forwards now and i feel pretty good about next year.

I have searched and searched and still have not found anything about any other schools even recruiting this kid. Excuse me if I am apprenhensive about blindly trusting Brad to find diamonds in the rough.

I know this kid is tough and is a nice athlete. There are a lot of tough kids who are nice athletes who were not able to garner a division 1 scholarhsip. Why is this kid who is 6'3, and not that great of a shooter, worthy of an offer? I ask this in all seriousness.

By the way, someone posted above that we have nine schollies over the next few years so we can afford to waste this one. I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant that sarcastically.

Tommie's jumper wasnt great when he got here either. He's an athlete something the bills sorely needed as they are outclassed athletically almost every night. Outstanding rebounding guard. I would compare him to AJ Moye or Gerald Fitch. If you want to know why Mitchell doesnt have any other offers its because he hasnt played any AAU. Now if he can add the other East side player Lacey, I'd be satisfied with this class and get off Brad's back. Good job by Brad. 2 weeks ago zero commits and now 2 in the last 2 weeks.

I'd actually be happier if he didnt qualify. Send him over to Hargrave to work on that jumper. We need help on the interior, not wing right now. PG and Big men are the keys right now. TL, KL, LM, DP, and DM are on the wings right now. I want Lacey and a couple of bigs.

http://www.ibsrecruiting.com/ibs-news-and-notes.php

"EAST ST. LOUIS (IL) RIDING 15-GAME WIN STREAK – 1-19-07

East St. Louis, IL - - East St. Louis (IL) dropped two games to begin their 2006-07 season at 1-2. They have not looked back since, going on a 15 game win streak and mowing through tough programs such as Lincoln (IL), Decatur (IL) Eisenhower and Missouri power St. Louis (MO) Vashon.

The program is led by 6’4†senior forward, ANTHONY MITCHELL who averages 14.8 ppg, 11.4 rpg and 2.8 spg in his breakout season. Junior guard DARIAN SAIN adds 14.3 ppg and the shooter led his team to its first Collinsville (IL) Holiday Tournament title since 1999. SAIN averaging about 2-3 threes per contest. The rest of the roster equals a well balanced and cohesive unit that goes to battle each night for head coach DENNIS BROOKS. The group stays close over the summer as well, competing together in various events and kept in shape and focused by assistant, DANA MORGAN.

Ideally, the program would like to get back to a state title team, something the program has not done since 1999-2000 when current NBA forward DARIUS MILES was walking the halls of the State Street school, which has also produced talents such as Saint Louis guard TOMMIE LIDDELL.

Look for the boys from East St. Louis to potentially showcase their talents in mid-March, 2007 at Bradley; the site of the state tourney."

I hope this isn't our Anthony Mitchell it looks like there are some character issues:

From- http://www.state.il.us/COURT/Opinions/Supr.../HTML/83281.htm

"A jury convicted defendant, Anthony Mitchell, of two counts of first degree murder. The same jury also determined that defendant was eligible for the death penalty and that there were no mitigating factors sufficient to preclude the imposition of the death penalty. Accordingly, the circuit court of St. Clair County sentenced defendant to death."

Haven't really found much else besides box scores. The guy tears it up rebounding and that could be a big plus from the 3. Like the poster stated before is he qualified? I have reservations that I haven't heard the name before nor know of any other D1 offers. I like the stat line on a team that is competitive in Illinios. We need another C or PF now I don't want this guy to be doomed like Meyer to play undersized at the PF.

drew we cant have it both ways. saint louis university is constantly attacked for not bringing in the falker's and brooks' of the st louis area that turn into very good players.

now when coach soderberg lands the most improved player in the st louis area that is a bigger stronger guard that can play defense and rebound, we cant wonder why we didnt sign the remaining top 50 player in the nation instead.

i will tell you this, i was very apprehensive about maguire last year. and obviously the word on dustin still isnt known. but i would take mitchell over maguire in a second. the potential of mitchell with his size and athleticism is far far greater, even though he is no where the accomplished outside shooter that maguire is.

does that mean mitchell is going to start and average 10 points a game next year?

honestly i dont think we need a guard to come in and do that next year, but we do need a freshmen class next year.

the impact players we need for next year are the next two scholarships. we need two insider rebounders and defenders imo. now if we end up using these next two scholarships for reaches, then i got a problem with that.

it is my understanding that lacey has more academic issues than mitchell, but that said, east st louis hasnt sent a lot of kids to the ivy league lately either. it will be interesting to find out how the academics stack up.

with 5 schollys to give I have to be happy about this. Now if we don't get any big men by the end of this class you have to wonder what the hell is going on...getting some big-men that can contribute immediately is essential if people think we are going to be any good next year.