Anthony Mitchell says yes to SLU.

Before we automatically question this kid's academics lets also remember that some of our "inner city" school districts produce people like Polk, Bonner, and James Washington (26 on his ACT) who are good students. Additionally, unless MICDS and SLUH suddenly start produce D1 BB players, its a reality that we have to take some risks. Anthony D. and Tommy were both late qualifiers who turned out pretty well.

obviously, we need a few inside guys with the remaining schollies, but you also have to remember, luke, dwayne, and danny are seniors next year, so you have to start to replace those guys.

getting mitchell, relphorde and whichever point guard (peterson, correra or walker) begins to fill those needs before you even start on the '08 guards that you are chasing.

for those who might not remember the peterson kid, he played in the shootout this year with DeMatha. Their big-name players did not play because of injury. He ended up with 17 points, nine assists and hit 3 3-pointers. He had a great game from what I could remember. they lost to the loaded prep school team from decatur, ill. by two points.

bad boyz for life

>it is my understanding that lacey has more academic issues

>than mitchell, but that said, east st louis hasnt sent a lot

>of kids to the ivy league lately either. it will be

>interesting to find out how the academics stack up.

What is wrong with Mitchell's grades? 2.6 GPA, 19 on the ACT. He's qualified.

why respond to Roy's comments like that?

You know perfectly well that when Roy and I posted our questions about whether he was qualified nobody knew yet that he had a 2.6 GPA and a 19 ACT. It wasn't until Bigdadiek posted his link an hour later that anything was known.

Also, Roy said that Lacey is likely the one with academic problems, not Mitchell.

drejaj was probably a better spot up shooter and has that street fighter attitude, but i would take mitchell on every other aspect of a basketball player over drejaj. he is far more athletic than drejaj. most east side games mitchell would have at least 2 nice dunks.

love could drive to the basket. he had some amazing drives actually.

he made it to the last cut of the suns as a point guard.

mitchell should be higher rated. it is a matter that

1. he is a late bloomer

2. he hasnt played aau ball

he has one of the worst high school coaches in the area that has allowed talent in the past to go undeveloped. it is actually amazing that mitchell has improved as much as he did considering the strikes against him. that is one of the reasons we should be even more intrigued. what happens if he really gets some coaching?

and those worried about his shot? let's not forget what soderberg did with liddell over the summer.

vtime said,

"Are we the only area that has such anemic academics?"

well considering we are talking about st louis public schools, e st louis schools and alton schools, not sure why we would expect more. probably three of the most corrupt and worthless academic institutions in the country.

"We can afford to waste this one?"

We have wasted scholarships on pretty much everyone except Liddell and Lisch. If you don't believe that, get off this site.

Bryce Husak and Justin Johnson are not even D-II basketball athletes and they should be thanking the Good Lord Jesus Christ everyday that someone gave them a chance.

Waste a scholarship. That's something we've been doing with pretty much every kid on our team. Match up the best D-II, D-III and NAIA teams in the country and I bet they give us a run and probably beat us.

The thing I keep thinking about with the commitment of Anthony Mitchell to SLU is that he seems like the kind of player that is a late bloomer and does one fo the following things; sign with a Valley school, or end up at a big name school after going to a prep school or juco for a year. Either way, that kind of player doesn't end up at SLU and we hear stuff like "SLU could've had this kid in their own backyard." Players that come to mind especially with this are Darren Brooks, Gary Buchanan, and probably other that I just can't think of right now.

Mitchell sounds like he is tough as nails. If you guys remember, after the Fordham game Soderberg said "I would give my left arm to have Anthony Drejaj back" referring to his toughness. Maybe Brad is potentially seeing this Mitchell as another guy like Drejaj in that regard.

now metz wants to ban anyone that doesnt think that luke meyer, ian vouyoukas, tom frericks, anthony drejaj, reggie bryant, dwayne polk, danny brown, etc was a wasted scholarship.

vtime said, (insinuating that billiken roy said),

"No he said he had even more issues than Mitchell. That implies that Mitchell had grades problems. Lets not play dumb."

i searched all my posts in this string to find anything that might resemble what vtime is insinuating i said. the closest i found was this:

"it is my understanding that lacey has more academic issues than mitchell, but that said, east st louis hasnt sent a lot of kids to the ivy league lately either. it will be interesting to find out how the academics stack up."

as you can hopefully read vtime, i never said anything even closely resembling what you said. and after i posted the above, it was revealed by another poster that mitchell indeed has qualifying academics.