Jamal Walker - Now or Later?

5 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

With Romar out at UW.  Could there be Romar to Illinois, with Walker as an assistant (note Walker played for Romar at SLU, but he was not his recruit (I think)).

Illinois is aiming for a much better coach than Romar. The big question with the Romar firing is where the Porter boys end up. Mizzou fans think they may be getting them...and they may be right.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Illinois is aiming for a much better coach than Romar. The big question with the Romar firing is where the Porter boys end up. Mizzou fans think they may be getting them...and they may be right.

I'm seeing reports, started by Paul Biancardi, that Michael Porter Sr. has hooked up with Cuonzo Martin as an assistant at Mizzou, and he added that Michael Jr. never signed a LOI with Washington.  The Porter daughters are already at Mizzou, so....

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-tell that to Calipari, Eddie Sutton, Boeheim, Roy Williams, Haith, Kelvin Sampson, Pitino, Larry Brown, etc

OK Cowboy what is the point that you are making? Are you saying that there are a lot of rich and powerful coaches in basketball who are, to a greater or lesser extent, scumb_gs, or are you saying that to be a rich and powerful coach in basketball you need to be, to a greater or lesser extent, a scumb_g?

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

OK Cowboy what is the point that you are making? Are you saying that there are a lot of rich and powerful coaches in basketball who are, to a greater or lesser extent, scumb_gs, or are you saying that to be a rich and powerful coach in basketball you need to be, to a greater or lesser extent, a scumb_g?

-the coaches that quickly came to mind all have had, well, let's say, improprieties, most of them fawned over by the media, cheered when they walk on their home floor, if they win, the transgressions are forgiven and forgotten

1 hour ago, almaman said:

did any of them leave after signing multi year contract and bolt after 1 year?

-is that worse than what some of those on the list have done?

still think a worse stink on one who would do what we are fearing, panties in a bunch imo, here than many of the baggage laden coaches carry. kind of like nothing worse than a snitch kind of thinking. surely there are many things worse than snitching but....

According to this Gabe DeArmond interview, he's speculating that Cuonzo Martin is eyeing Jamal Walker as an assistant. The thinking is that will help them land Tilmon to Mizzou. Yes, you can call me giddy right now. Both Mizzou and SLU basketball is about to be relevant again. http://insidestl.com/the-line-change-segment-5-gabe-dearmond-talks-cuonzo-martin-hire/1992756

fans on the mizzou message board seem to believe that counzo "should" be able to flip tilmon, goodwin, thatch, and gordon to all come to mizzou. lol  What I want to know, since when did counzo become such an ICON like Izzo, kyzyzewski, pitino, etc.  I think mizzou fans should lay off the meth a little bit.  

On 3/14/2017 at 10:09 AM, HoosierPal said:

Walker is a free agent. Do we want Ford to grab him now-letting a coach walk, and groom him to be our next HC when Ford eventually walks or would it be better for him to get a HC job somewhere now and we then pick him up 3 to 5 years down the road?  

Sorry Hoosier, but when Ford moves on, SLU will conduct a national coaching search looking to raid a successful coach from another program. The fantasy of grooming coaches failed with your boy Jimmy C and Failed Assistant Coach Jim Platt. The Failed Crews/Platt Regime showed us the DANGERS of promoting from within. Crews was terrible.

8 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-the coaches that quickly came to mind all have had, well, let's say, improprieties, most of them fawned over by the media, cheered when they walk on their home floor, if they win, the transgressions are forgiven and forgotten

-is that worse than what some of those on the list have done?

Cowboy, I wrote a long post describing why I think jumping after one year and taking recruits with you is worse, but then I thought what is the use of doing this? You and I are both adults, you are free to have your own opinion and ideas as to what is right and what is wrong. I just do not agree with you in this regard.

1 hour ago, gravilst said:

fans on the mizzou message board seem to believe that counzo "should" be able to flip tilmon, goodwin, thatch, and gordon to all come to mizzou. lol  What I want to know, since when did counzo become such an ICON like Izzo, kyzyzewski, pitino, etc.  I think mizzou fans should lay off the meth a little bit.  

SPUMAC fans might as well add French to the flip list and predict that Jalen Johnson will transfer to SPUMAC, it is just as crazy.

We all know the situation in Columbia Mo. is so much better than St. Louis and that SPUMAC is so great that parents and friends will not mind driving two hours to see their kids and friends play.

I do not think coach Martin will have to raid players from other schools to recruit well there are plenty of players out there.

Mr. Watson will definitely be a target for coach Martin and it will be interesting how coach Ford and Martin compete in the recruiting battle.

9 minutes ago, CBFan said:

SPUMAC fans might as well add French to the flip list and predict that Jalen Johnson will transfer to SPUMAC, it is just as crazy.

We all know the situation in Columbia Mo. is so much better than St. Louis and that SPUMAC is so great that parents and friends will not mind driving two hours to see their kids and friends play.

I do not think coach Martin will have to raid players from other schools to recruit well there are plenty of players out there.

Mr. Watson will definitely be a target for coach Martin and it will be interesting how coach Ford and Martin compete in the recruiting battle.

The big problem Martin and Mizzou face is that many the parents of many area players don't feel comfortable sending their kids to COMO.  Right or wrong, that is the reality.  It is, also, really hurting Odom on the recruiting trail.

19 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

aj_arete said:

According to this Gabe DeArmond interview, he's speculating that Cuonzo Martin is eyeing Jamal Walker as an assistant. The thinking is that will help them land Tilmon to Mizzou. Yes, you can call me giddy right now. Both Mizzou and SLU basketball is about to be relevant again. http://insidestl.com/the-line-change-segment-5-gabe-dearmond-talks-cuonzo-martin-hire/1992756

We all could really see how "giddy" aj has been about SLU this past year. All of his many posts celebrating alongside his fellow Billiken fans the recruiting victories of Goodwin, Gordon and Thatch. We've really been able to see his excitement for SLU hoops... :rolleyes:

I believe people can genuinely be both a SLU and Mizzou fan, but aj is not one of them. Don't let him con you. He will try to play that game, but he is clearly a SPUMAC fan and not a SLU fan. Not surprising that he has crawled out from under his rock to celebrate the hiring of the new SPUMAC coach.

10 hours ago, ACE said:

aj_arete said:

We all could really see how "giddy" aj has been about SLU this past year. All of his many posts celebrating alongside his fellow Billiken fans the recruiting victories of Goodwin, Gordon and Thatch. We've really been able to see his excitement for SLU hoops... :rolleyes:

I believe people can genuinely be both a SLU and Mizzou fan, but aj is not one of them. Don't let him con you. He will try to play that game, but he is clearly a SPUMAC fan and not a SLU fan. Not surprising that he has crawled out from under his rock to celebrate the hiring of the new SPUMAC coach.

ACE, you're right. I wasn't on the Majerus bandwagon. I thought he was a quick fix and would destabilize the program. Yes, there are times that I like Mizzou more than SLU, but there were times where it was the reverse. I enjoyed watching the Billikens at the end of the year and was touched by Ford's presser. Yesterday, I liked SLU more than Mizzou. Today, I like Mizzou more than SLU.

Here's the bottom line, I root for both teams but the coaches of the respective teams change the order. I wasn't a big Norm fan, so I rooted for SLU during the Ekker, Grawer, and Spoonhour years. I was a huge Quin Snyder fan as you know. BTW, look at him with the Utah Jazz. I leaned toward Mizzou then, though I liked both Romar and Soderberg. Was a big fan of Mike Anderson, but my interest in Haith subsided over time. Thought Kim Anderson was a good guy, but it was tough watching them. It was difficult watching SLU under Crews, so was apathetic with both squads. Now with Ford and Martin, I'm excited with both.

On 3/14/2017 at 5:33 PM, Clock_Tower said:

Romar, Spoon, Majerus and Ford were all proven, prior and successful D1 head coaches -- and each did quite well here at SLU.  I am not interested in hiring the next up and coming no name assistant coach.   While this method certainly works -- and Archie Miller at UD is a great example -- at the same time, there are other examples which include Brian Gregory, Brad Soderberg, Jim Crews, Quin Snyder, etc  And again, I am not interested in Alex Jensen, Whitesell, Moser, Harriman, Beane, Thorpe, Cameron Dollar or any of the other former SLU assistant coaches and I am not interested in former Billiken players whether they be named Bonner, Diener or Walker.

No thank you to J. Walker.  Instead, go become a D1 head coach, win some games and make some NCAA Tourneys and then we can talk.  And even then, I am not sure I want the next up and coming low level D1 coach -- just look at Groce at Illinois. Instead, I would the next Travis Ford.

Jim Crews is more of the "washed up old man" class of incoming coaches.

Harriman and Moser interest me, sure, but they belong going to a place like Loyola(IL) where they can prove if they can hack it or not. SIUE has embarked on that path and won 6 games in the OVC this year. Will he pan out? Maybe.

Ford Spoon Romar and Majerus as you said were proven commodities at head coaching. That is the way to move forward. Those have been the successful coaches in the "Modern Era" of SLU basketball(post-Grawer)

Crews and Soderberg have been our failures. Crews was a failure on another level. That tenure was so incomprehensibly bad that it surpassed ridiculous. People on this message board could have done a better job than Crews. You probably would have out-recruited and out-coached Jim "Retirement Fund" Crews.

11 hours ago, aj_arete said:

ACE, you're right. I wasn't on the Majerus bandwagon. I thought he was a quick fix and would destabilize the program. Yes, there are times that I like Mizzou more than SLU, but there were times where it was the reverse. I enjoyed watching the Billikens at the end of the year and was touched by Ford's presser. Yesterday, I liked SLU more than Mizzou. Today, I like Mizzou more than SLU.

Here's the bottom line, I root for both teams but the coaches of the respective teams change the order. I wasn't a big Norm fan, so I rooted for SLU during the Ekker, Grawer, and Spoonhour years. I was a huge Quin Snyder fan as you know. BTW, look at him with the Utah Jazz. I leaned toward Mizzou then, though I liked both Romar and Soderberg. Was a big fan of Mike Anderson, but my interest in Haith subsided over time. Thought Kim Anderson was a good guy, but it was tough watching them. It was difficult watching SLU under Crews, so was apathetic with both squads. Now with Ford and Martin, I'm excited with both.

Watching Bill Walton with my dad play for UCLA was the beginning of my love for college basketball.

Watching and mostly listening to the Norm Stewart coached teams gave me a local team to root for that was fun and successful.

Rich Grawer changed forever who my favorite team is now today.

When Norm Stewart was ran out of Missouri I was finished with Missouri and that was the beginning of the decline of the Missouri Basketball program.  Mike Anderson had a nice run but Haith ran the program in the ditch and Kim Anderson was a sacrificial lamb.  Now that coach Martin is the coach of the basketball team I will root for coach Martin to do well except when recruiting against coach Ford or hopefully playing SLU.

23 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Watching Bill Walton with my dad play for UCLA was the beginning of my love for college basketball.

Watching and mostly listening to the Norm Stewart coached teams gave me a local team to root for that was fun and successful.

Rich Grawer changed forever who my favorite team is now today.

When Norm Stewart was ran out of Missouri I was finished with Missouri and that was the beginning of the decline of the Missouri Basketball program.  Mike Anderson had a nice run but Haith ran the program in the ditch and Kim Anderson was a sacrificial lamb.  Now that coach Martin is the coach of the basketball team I will root for coach Martin to do well except when recruiting against coach Ford or hopefully playing SLU.

Looking back, I found myself appreciating Norm now more than I did back then. Particularly when looking at some of the past Mizzou teams under Haith that didn't always play together or with cohesion. Norm was so fundamentally sound and had good teams. Back then, I just didn't like how he isolated himself from STL talent, though I realize now why he did that.

As for Grawer, he set the foundation for a wonderful period of SLU basketball. Admittedly, I've liked Mizzou more years than SLU. However if I had to pick a favorite coach and team, it would be Spoonhour and the team of undersized players that gave Tim Duncan and Wake Forest all they could handle. Who couldn't like H Waldman, Erwin Claggett, Scott Highmark, and the remarkable Donnie Dobbs. Those were some fun times and I look forward to more excitement with Travis Ford.

On 3/14/2017 at 10:09 AM, HoosierPal said:

Walker is a free agent. Do we want Ford to grab him now-letting a coach walk, and groom him to be our next HC when Ford eventually walks or would it be better for him to get a HC job somewhere now and we then pick him up 3 to 5 years down the road?  

There seems to always be talk about grooming assistants on this board. The only grooming we will be doing is for other teams. You just don't see many assistants being promoted to head coach within a program. If they get a head coach job it's going to be somewhere else.