GDT A10 Tournabee Day 2

Taj79

Aw, why not. 

Opening spreads:  Davidson minus-4 over La Salle; Mason minus-4 over Fordham; and no available lines just yet on Umass and the Bonnies or us and Geedubya.

Pittsburgh Gazette article from last night:  http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/duquesne/2017/03/08/Duquesne-Dukes-basketball-Atlantic-10-tournament-PPG-Paints-Arena-Pittsburgh-Saint-Louis/stories/201703080215

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for sharing the link good article and they called Reggie a force.

I feel for Emile Blackman, the picture of him in tears makes me feel bad for the young man.

Blackman got a pretty solid whack from Reggie's elbow behind his L ear. Lucky for him it was in the area behind and below the ear where the skull bones are thick (the petrous prominence) and the skull is less likely to breaking. Had the same blow happened in the area in front and a bit above the ear (temporal bone) where the bone covering the brain is thin and flaky he could have suffered a fracture of the skull. Yes, it hurt a lot but without a break and not having lost consciousness, he should be OK.

Duquesne's lack of depth hurt them. They played 6 double digit minutes. Four played 36 to 39 minute.  When they lost 2 to fouls, they were in deep trouble.  Depth matters.  And as we saw, FT's matter. 

Four of Dukes top 6 are Freshman and Sophomores. They will be very good next year.

Once the Dukes lost or almost lost Sanders and Lewis, we ruled inside.  Four fousl and eventual disqualificatiosn killed them.  How rare is that?  Even in our best days, ruling the lane was an afterthought.

As for Blackman's "injury," ==== academy award.  The blow was glancing at best.  If Reggie had really clocked him two things would have happened: 1) he'd have dropped like a prizefighter being knocked out, and 2) with Reggie's hands of stone, the ball likely would have come lose.  In the replay review of the potentially flagrant foul, you can see Blackman offer a delayed reaction to receiving the blow, a deke, a feint if you will.  And there was no affect on Reg's holding of the ball.  Later, after all this concern, Blackman is on the bench yukking it up with a teammate.  Is he rubbing his lower left skull?  Yes ---- but that's what you do to sell the con job.  After review, the refs ruled no issue.  To me, it was akin to  soccer players ho need obvious amputations at one minute, only to get up and run full speed at a potential scoring chance the next.  The feint also cost us an obvious five-on-four situation so he had to sell it. 

Hey -- I'd do the same. 

18 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Duquesne's lack of depth hurt them. They played 6 double digit minutes. Four played 36 to 39 minute.  When they lost 2 to fouls, they were in deep trouble.  Depth matters.  And as we saw, FT's matter. 

Four of Dukes top 6 are Freshman and Sophomores. They will be very good next year.

HoosierPal, if you want a team that really lacks depth, that team is SLU. We have been playing our guys 30+ minutes a game; not because that is good, but because our bench is so bare. As a matter of fact, it there is a reason why Duquesne lost the game it is that they could not recover from the loss of Sanders and Lewis, the rest of their team could not keep up the pressure. We had a number of players with 4 fouls, including Roby, but they just kept on going right until the final seconds. I cannot but wonder what would have happened if we had had more of a bench and out players had been playing less minutes per game, would Roby have been out playing with 4 fouls?

47 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Blackman got a pretty solid whack from Reggie's elbow behind his L ear. Lucky for him it was in the area behind and below the ear where the skull bones are thick (the petrous prominence) and the skull is less likely to breaking. Had the same blow happened in the area in front and a bit above the ear (temporal bone) where the bone covering the brain is thin and flaky he could have suffered a fracture of the skull. Yes, it hurt a lot but without a break and not having lost consciousness, he should be OK.

Yes he got the elbow, but it didn't look like it landed with much impact. It looked to me his immediate reaction was "hey, where's the foul". Then he realized it was an elbow above the shoulder so he took a delayed reaction dive to try to get the flagrant foul call.

18 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Yes he got the elbow, but it didn't look like it landed with much impact. It looked to me his immediate reaction was "hey, where's the foul". Then he realized it was an elbow above the shoulder so he took a delayed reaction dive to try to get the flagrant foul call.

That's the impression I got as well. He got hit by the elbow in the ear. There is the initial reaction where he turns to look towards Reggie, then he flops like a premiere league player and rolls around on the floor. They showed a closeup of his ear on the sideline while the refs were reviewing the play and it was hardly red. 

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Old guy, today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

2 hours ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Old guy, today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

JohnnyJumpUp I have always tried hard to be myself and no one else. Blackman may have faked the blow but what I said about the strenght of the base of the cranium vs the frailty of the temporal bones is entirely true and correct.

15 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Slightly OT, in the Big East, Marquette's NCAA Bubble may have just burst, or Marquette's NCAA hopes are on life support:  Seton Hall 82 Marquette 76.  Marquette's RPI falls to 58, which should be OUT of the Big Dance and in the NIT Sock Hop.

What a crying shame ... 

@Glorydays2013

7 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Duquesne always had a problem keeping good freshmen. They had one best point guards in the country in TJ McConnell and lost him to AZ. Fordham seems to have that problem also.

Wonder if Lewis won't shop himself around.

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

I am not a Marquette fan. Stop trying to do this to piss me off. I made a comparasion between programs. If SLU was in the BEast it would be similar to MU with a competent coach to recruit. Besides academically MU and SLU being similar in size, programs, Jesuit focus and whatever they also represent the city they are in. MU gets a lot of life long fans from people who never went there. SLU can/ does too. 

Anyways if anyone here has any sort of big time connections, take a look at what the Golden Eagles are doing with the Bucks. It would be cool if SLU and the Cardinals/ Blues did something similar. They have this plan for a joint sports research complex

Tatum had 25 points for Duke beating a tough Louisville team.

KU gets beat by TCU.

Great game going on in the Big East with Xavier and Butler tied at 38 with 13:42 left.

Just now, Pistol said:

Is this the GDT for our game, too?

I figured GDT day 2 so this is where I was going to post.