Welcome To Billiken Nation, Travis Ford!

aj_arete

My guess is that this is all SLU wanting to stay ahead of things, and tomorrow we will hear something official regarding Ford being hired.

If not, and someone more appealing than Ford is hired, we may need to come up with some sort of an impromptu Billikens.com celebration. My vote would be somewhere not too far from Kirkwood.

billy G's will be sufficient

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only SLU would we hire a coach who can't coach up players, can only recruit players to state schools and then deny that they've hired said coach.

You know what will make the hiring of Ford worse? When SLU announces. him as the coach tomorrow after this clusterf*ck.

Here is Ford's resume at OK St.:

- They miss the NCAA tournament three years straight before he gets there

- He immediately takes them to two straight NCAA tournaments in his 1st two years as their head coach

- They miss the tournament the next two years

- Then he takes them to three consecutive tournaments

- They have a bad year last year and they fire him

His record in the NCAA tournament is not good, but he has shown he can get there out of a very tough conference. This hire is not as bad as many of you are making it. Give the guy a chance. Give him support. Let's see what happens.

Look, this is a great hire! This is a guy who did very well at all of his stops, and is a tremendous recruiter. SLU needs an increase in recruiting prowess probably more than anything else.

Also, this is a guy who who has the experience to turn the program around. The only reason to be down is that this is a phenomenal off-season to look for a coach. But in any other off-season, this is an "A hire."

Here is Ford's resume at OK St.:

- They miss the NCAA tournament three years straight before he gets there

- He immediately takes them to two straight NCAA tournaments in his 1st two years as their head coach

- They miss the tournament the next two years

- Then he takes them to three consecutive tournaments

- They have a bad year last year and they fire him

His record in the NCAA tournament is not good, but he has shown he can get there out of a very tough conference. This hire is not as bad as many of you are making it. Give the guy a chance. Give him support. Let's see what happens.

https://twitter.com/b_jjolly/status/715043182883577856

Look, this is a great hire! This is a guy who did very well at all of his stops, and is a tremendous recruiter. SLU needs an increase in recruiting prowess probably more than anything else.

Also, this is a guy who who has the experience to turn the program around. The only reason to be down is that this is a phenomenal off-season to look for a coach. But in any other off-season, this is an "A hire."

Horrible hire. The dumpster fire at SLU continues for 3 more years.

Exactly what I was worried was going to happen happened. Several guys on this board got overly excited about a guy who was likely never coming here. Then when we get a decent coach who might do well at SLU, and everyone is disappointed, because it's not the pie in the sky guy that the board had built up as the only coach who could possibly be successful here.

Drew was never coming here. He has allegedly turned down better jobs. When he does make the move from his alma mater, it will be to a BCS program. Taking the SLU job the year after Majerus died may have made sense. Taking our dumpster fire now when he's probably got an tournament team at Valpo next year would be dumb. If he doesn't take the Pitt or Vandy jobs this year, he can take Valpo to the tournament next year, and maybe he ends up coaching Indiana or Michigan or Louisville the following year.

When the speculation about him coming, mostly self created on this board, was at a frenzy, I admit I allowed myself to get excited about the idea. Now I feel stupid for getting caught up in it.

Let's get behind the new coach and help make his era a success. If anything else, it seems he can recruit. So, I'm excited about being able to follow the recruiting threads agains and get fired up about who we might get to turn this thing around.

Exactly what I was worried was going to happen happened. Several guys on this board got overly excited about a guy who was likely never coming here. Then when we get a decent coach who might do well at SLU, and everyone is disappointed, because it's not the pie in the sky guy that the board had built up as the only coach who could possibly be successful here.

Drew was never coming here. He has allegedly turned down better jobs. When he does make the move from his alma mater, it will be to a BCS program. Taking the SLU job the year after Majerus died may have made sense. Taking our dumpster fire now when he's probably got an tournament team at Valpo next year would be dumb. If he doesn't take the Pitt or Vandy jobs this year, he can take Valpo to the tournament next year, and maybe he ends up coaching Indiana or Michigan or Louisville the following year.

When the speculation about him coming, mostly self created on this board, was at a frenzy, I admit I allowed myself to get excited about the idea. Now I feel stupid for getting caught up in it.

Let's get behind the new coach and help make his era a success. If anything else, it seems he can recruit. So, I'm excited about being able to follow the recruiting threads agains and get fired up about who we might get to turn this thing around.

Has he ever recruited players to a private Jesuit university in the Midwest with average, at best, historical success?

Ford couldn't coach 3 and 4 star guys to tourney wins. What in the hell makes ppl think he will be successful at SLU?

This was a good hire (if it is a hire). Not a home run, Stallings would been a home run.

5 out his 8 years in the Dance. One of those off years a NIT. Coaches in one of the best conferences in the nation.

My congratulations to May & the AD.

One thing, he's going to have his work cut out for him here. It will be short of miracle if he can get SLU up to a CBI level in 2-3 years. It took Majerus 3. This may equal to what Grawer got in 1982.

My take is that Stu clearly has a connection with the Ford camp. They know Ford got the job. SLU wants to wait until Drews season is over to make it look like they waited. They know the fans don't want Ford but it's the best they could do

My take is that Stu clearly has a connection with the Ford camp. They know Ford got the job. SLU wants to wait until Drews season is over to make it look like they waited. They know the fans don't want Ford but it's the best they could do

This seems likely

I'm starting to come to this conclusion as well...that Stu just leaked the story early. But why on earth would SLU come out with a statement like that