Luke Meyer to commit to SLU today...

Nate Latsch

Here are some links to stories:

http://prepsports.stltoday.com/ssi/prep/st...7f?OpenDocument

http://prepsports.stltoday.com/ssi/prep/st...4d?OpenDocument

http://prepsports.stltoday.com/ssi/prep/st...de?OpenDocument

While searching for some links, I realized there hasn't been much written about Luke Meyer. I'm sure that will change this winter.

- Nate

I don't know former Billiken players well enough to compare Luke Meyer with them, but Luke is a 6-5 swingman who shoots left-handed. He's probably best described as a solid all-around player. He can do a lot of things well, but I don't know if there is anything that he really stands out at. Maybe that is his best strength: his ability to do a little bit of everything on the floor.

He'll be a good fit for SLU because he is so solid all-around. Meyer is a guy who could bring the ball down the floor if you need him to, or defend the point guard, shooting guard or small forward spots.

Meyer will probably have to play a lot in the post for Borgia this year, because they graduated a lot of tall seniors from last year's team. At 6-5, Luke might be the tallest this winter. That versatility should help him when he gets to SLU.

- Nate

I watched Meyer play three AAU games this spring against quality competition. At a comparable age, he is much stronger than both Diener and Highmark. My recall is that he is a lefty, and in the games I saw his bread-and-butter move was driving off a wing screen into the lane for a 10-12 footer. Also takes it to the basket without fear. When standing with an open 3pointer, his shot appeared to be taken five or six inches from the front of his face. Diener and Highmarks shot may have started a little higher.

IMHO, Meyer by himself is not a "program-maker"; but he has the physical and mental assets to be a key part of an improving SLU program/roster.

i too have never witnessed luke play. however, i have never had anyone tell me he reminds them of drew. i have heard the highmark comparison a lot. i have to believe if he was truly being recruited by stanford, he is closer to scott than drew. 3 star stating he is more of a kirk penney is even more encouraging.

Nate--thanks for the report and the information. It is nice to see a reporter who has enough interest in the Bills to seek out "scoops" re our recruiting. This sounds like good news--a Brad style player who can shoot! If he is anything like Penney we will have an excellent player. I doubt he can defend like Penney but few in the country can. I love the fact that Brad and his staff have two local commitments already.

If this kid is the southpaw version of Scott Highmark then this Billiken fan will be very happy. Scott is a favorite of mine, as I felt he worked hard to improve his game from the time he arrived at SLU until he graduated and I remember him being able to drive to the hole for occasional baskets as his game matured in his Jr and Sr seasons.

>He sounds from this thread like a Shaw clone so I presume

>that we will no longer be pursueing Shaw-seems like Brad

>probably told Meyer and Shaw that the first to commit gets

>the scholarship.

Different skill set. Think of a taller, more mobile and atheletic Scott Highmark. We are still in the market for a PF for the 2004 class.

While I've never seen either Luke Meyer or Matt Shaw play, everything I've read suggests that Meyer is a swingman/perimeter player and Shaw is an interior player. I don't think getting one precludes getting the other, particularly with there being four scholarships available.

Does getting Meyer cause a splash among SLU fans? From what I've read, I've never been high on him. I would prefer Tommie Lidell and/or Terry Evans (or Draelon Burns).

If Meyer is reminiscent of Scott Highmark, I'll reverse my misgivings.

With four scholarships to give, I assume that there is still room to for Lidell. The center position is filled for the next two plus years, and Polk should man the point for the next four. I assume we will look to sign a power forward and a guard or wing with the remaining two scholarships.