Luke Meyer to commit to SLU today...

Nate Latsch

luke is not a shaw clone by any means. shaw is a power forward period. luke is a wing period. there is no crossover whatsoever.

from all that has been talked about, the chances of tommie liddell getting academically qualified for college is slim and none. in all likelihood, liddell is headed to jucoland or prep school and might not be in division one basketball for awhile.

even if tommie can pass, my guess is that the billikens would be happy to take another wing to replace floyd mcclain or brandon morris on the roster. the billikens definitely have at least 4 scholarships they can use on this recruiting class, so even if one of the remaining scholarships is marked for an inside player like shaw, it remains very possible that one of liddell, burns or the now uncovered, polk from jucoland, would still be offered as well. i am betting that we sign another wing with this class besides luke meyer.

thicks i will be surprised if terry evans signs this fall. i believe the only school i have heard had offered him was siu. and that might have changed after his injury plagued summer. terry is probably going to have to have a big winter to start the fire again. sad but reality.

burns has quite the list, so i personally am not overly optimistic.

i am very happy with meyer. if the billikens offered last year already, it is obvious that coach brad loves this kid. and like 3 star mentioned, comparisons to kirk penney and also being recruited by stanford is pretty impressive.

polk will play point for four years. i am hoping that he will actually back up a kid from belleville for 3 of those seasons though.

Right now you have a point guard and 2/3 guard that will have no problem qualifying. We are hoping to land a power forward in Shaw who also will have no problem qualifying. If we get Shaw that is a solid 3 local players. It would allow you to take a risk on a Liddell or a juco and it wouldn't be the end of the world if he didn't qualify or had to Prop 48 it.

Given our problems in the past couple years with 2 guys not qualifying and two others flunking out I am very glad to see Brad recruiting guys like Polk, Shaw and Meyer who will be 4 year players, and good ones at that, barring injuries.

thicks, I can truly understand your preferring Liddell or Evans. Both are excellent high school talents. (I haven't seen Burns play, thus no comment on him.) Unfortunately, one player has very serious academic issues, while the other has a very serious knee injury.

While Meyer may not have the quickness or leaping ability of Liddell or Evan, Luke is significantly stronger and his academics are not an issue.

If Meyer does indeed cause a "splash" amongst Billiken fans, it may be because once he is signed you are confident that Luke will be at West Pine late next August fully enrolled, healthy and ready to work!

I believe we have 11 scholarship players today. You lose Fish, Sloan and Varner which drops you to 8. If McClain had accumulated enough credit hours to be classified as a junior, you can then re-offer his scholarship. Thus you could offer 5 scholarships during the course of this academic year to get back to the limit of 13.

I think!

Having never seen your fellow Bellevillian play, I cannot comment on your playing time prediction. I suspect that my fellow City-dweller will not be too willing to shed a starting spot if it is handed to him. This would be a problem and a debate I hope we get to have in a few years.

this morning. Frank said Brad took Meyer and his parents out to dinner at JBucks last night and was pressing them for a committment. Apparently his sales pitch worked.

I still have reservations about Meyer. I still cannot get Earl's comment he made at the last Billiken Club meeting "most of the 3s going in the hoop for Meyer would end up in the fifth row seats at a higher level" and he did compare that part of his game to Diener. From seeing Meyer I have to agree with what Earl said, but having not seen him since last winter he could have improved markedly. I do have full confidence in Brad's evaluation skills to this point though so I am sure Meyer will offer something worthwhile to this team.

I like your point tseugnekillib. We have only 8 returning players for next season (as things stand now). The one recruit in the box prior to Meyer is Polk and he is coming off a knee injury as well ... although much further along in recovery than Evans. It is great to sign a guy of Meyer's quality who is healthy and solid acedemically. As you say, you know Meyer is going to show up at West Pine next spring "good to go". As we have several additional scholarships yet to fill, we still have lots of options.

For those of you who want more athleticism on the wing, signing Meyer certainly does not limit us in this regard. We need a PF but we shall definitely have one more scholarship after that and possibly 2. There is room for another wing in the 2004 class. Actually, the acedemic problems of Tommie Liddell are manageable from SLU's perspective--we have an extra scholarship for him and have already signed a solid 3. We can give him a scholarship and wait a year ala Dwyane Wade.

well david, i will say this. the only player that i have ever seen get the better of kevin over a whole game is daniel ruffin, the point guard that played with shaun livingston last year at peoria central. daniel is about 5'9" and a speed demon water bug deluxe. of course it was the althoff team's second game of the day and kevin had an amazing game that afternoon beating quincy while ruffin and livingston had a cakewalk vs madison, thus kevin might have been a little more tired. but still my point is that polk apparently is a 5'9" speed demon water bug as well. so who knows. i am thinking that that ridiculous agreement that vashon signed to stay out of the shootout is up. if it is, maybe keith pickett can schedule althoff and vashon against each other this year in the shootout and we can see for ourselves. i think that would be a great game actually.

Roy,

I think that would be a decent matchup this winter, but Vashon is probably way too strong for Althoff to stick with.

The Wolverines have enough talent to be the best team in Missouri this year, with Dwayne Polk and 6-foot-9 center Curtis Muse leading the way. Johnny and Bobby Hill are both talented youngsters, as well, so Polk and Muse don't have to do everything. I haven't seen Beaumont transfer William Franklin play, but the kid is supposed to be good.

I'm sure Vashon has a couple other talented guys waiting in the wings, so the Wolverines will certainly be one of the top teams in St. Louis.

Althoff will be good, but I don't think they'll be able to match up with Vashon. The individual test between Polk and Lisch would be a good one, and I don't know who would come on on top. They're both similar players, with Lisch being stronger and Polk being more athletic.

- Nate

nate, i beg to differ. althoff has probably the most talent and size they have ever had. besides lisch, they have the 3 rockets from east st louis, lamar gray, kenny nance, and kenon harrington. kenon is borderline big time talent, but still a little skinny. kenny is probably a division one cornerback/wide receiver who's athleticism transfers well to the basketball court. lamar is pure speed.

at wings, althoff has a little size with danny kloess and matt hornerkamp. both are about 6'5" tall and run and shoot very well. inside, they have the current area quarterback sensation, will ducey, who is actually over 6'9" but the fooball coach keeps lying down about his height. trust me, he is 6'9" and he is an athlete. his problems are: first, he loves football more, and two, he thinks he should be a wing. not that he doesnt have wing skills, but at 6'9" he needs to play inside.

besides will they have two sophomores that are over 6'5" that love to bang inside and rebound, and the rumor is that a 6'6" freshman that is a splendid athlete from the venice/madison area has decided to attend althoff as well. the funny part is that probably althoff is only the third best team on the east side. i personally do not think that any team on the west side of the river would beat althoff, east st louis or belleville west this year. and to be honest, centralia and carbondale arent far behind.

maybe you media guys need to lobby keith pickett to make some of those matchups happen.

p.s. if you want to see how the two schools stack up against each other athletically, althoff and vashon play each other saturday afternoon in football. you can see kenny nance, danny kloess, and will ducey at least for yourself then. granted that isnt the same as on a basketball court, but you will get to see them in action. althoff's football team is playing strong right now. ducey must be at the top or at least near it as area qb's right now.

• 4 weeks later...