Burwell Article

appear to suggest that Mizzou will get off without a postseason ban. I also enjoyed Mr. Burwell's column. While the testimony from Amy Stewart appeared damaging, it looks like Ed Stewart was an outsider to the basketball program. He's only speculating that Mizzou is cheating based on rumor and innuendo. Unfortunately for Mizzou haters, Mr. Stewart is responsible for the football, track and field, and a few other minor sports at Mizzou.

Yes, Mizzou could get slapped with a lack of institutional control. However, I happen to think Mr. Floyd's order to institute an independent committee to review the actions of the athletic department will suffice. I could see Lane Odom losing his job. I could also see them losing a couple of scholarships, but I'd be shocked if it is anything more...

Just because 810 AM radio in Kansas City says they don't think they will get a post season ban doesn't mean anything. A week ago they were claiming they were for sure going down.

Has the NCAA made a statement that I missed? Please keep us updated AJ.

while I hate saying it more than anything...god I want Mizzou to go down...but if they were in real trouble I would assume we would be hearing self-imposed punishments, but there is no word on that.

With all the issues out there, I doubt they would let the NCAA rule unless they knew they were safe.

Steve

Just curious, Steve, but what exactly is your big beef with MU? Do you have some personal issues with MU yourself, or are you just picking up on the sentiments of others like B-Roy??

There's kind of a strange, almost psychotic hatred among Billikens fans towards MU, which is odd because we've never really been rivals on any meaningful level. Among some of you, it seems even nastier than the MU/KU rivalry, but at least that rivalry has some historical significance both on the field/court and off of it, stretching back to the pre-civil war days. Has all this hatred really been built up because Norm didn't want to play Slu?

I'm an old timer but your last sentence summed up my feelings. We thought things changed with the 3 very hotly contested games played just a few short years ago. However, we are now going a couple more seasons without a game and I think the ones hurt the most are the fans of both programs. Had all 3 of the games been blowouts then even the most ardent Billiken fan could understand why they are not being played. It's a helluva lot more fun discussing what actualy happened on the basketball court than to simply speculate. Perhaps, the powers at both schools will get together and get this series resumed next year???

Apparently, it's just not Norm. Yes, Quin has, but it doesn't look it's going to be a regularly scheduled thing.

It's interesting you bring up the point about the KU/MU rivalry and the history there. So, I guess the same thing goes back to MU fans. Certainly you don't think it's not the same if not worse for MU fans towards SLU, do you? In fact, it is worse, or at least seems that way since there are more MU fans. I've read it on MU boards for a while now and before the internet I've heard it at meetings, parties, so on. There's always been a condescending tone toward SLU. Worse, is that where does it come from? I was at a Christmas party this past Saturday with some die hard MU fans and they were giving me trouble about SLU losing to GT. What's crazy is that we lost to GT, but MU lost to Gonzaga. And, what's even crazier is that an MU fan can be giving anyone trouble with all the stuff going on down there.

It starts in college I guess. I have a friend whose son is a sophomore at MU and he looks down on SLU too. He doesn't have history at all to be that way. I don't know where it comes from, so I dish it back.

on the Tigerboard (Makeshift, Lerxst) that hate SLU as much as any Billiken fan hates Mizzou.

This is a common occurence throughout the country. Marquette fans hate Wisconsin. Louisville fans hate Kentucky. Xavier fans hate Cinci. Georgia Tech fans hate Georgia. Miami fans hate Florida State who hate Florida. Memphis fans hate Tennessee. Depaul fans hate Illinois. SLU-Mizzou is hardly unique.

Oh I forgot, Mizzou fans hate the Post Dispatch, Jessica Bunge, Rickey Clemmons, the Columbia Tribune, the KC Star, Elson Floyd, Elson Floyd's wife, Amy Stewart, Ed Stewart, ESPN columnists, Vahe Gregorian, Kansas City radio personalities, Frank Cusumano, Kansas, Illinois, the NCAA, bathing, the refs any time they lose, the idea of Southwest Missouri State changing its name to Missouri State and of course SLU. Perhaps you should look at your own before questioning why many SLU fans don't like Mizzou.

>There's kind of a strange, almost psychotic hatred among

>Billikens fans towards MU, which is odd because we've never

>really been rivals on any meaningful level. Among some of

>you, it seems even nastier than the MU/KU rivalry, but at

>least that rivalry has some historical significance both on

>the field/court and off of it, stretching back to the

>pre-civil war days. Has all this hatred really been built

>up because Norm didn't want to play Slu?

Totally ridiculous. Once again the Mizzou fan attempting to delegitmize SLU.

There are tons of reasons why SLU-Mizzou should be/is a rivalry. SLU is in St. Louis, the metropolitan center of missouri. While Boone County is the hick center of missouri. The rural/urban rivalry is a classic one. Then SLU is the biggest private school in the state, Mizzou the biggest public school. Once again public vs private a classic rivalry. SLU-Mizzou has some history too. Only in recent times has Mizzou avoided SLU, prior to the 80s SLU-Mizzou played each other several times a decade in most sports and before SLU quit playing football, the Mizzou-SLU game was a yearly event.

Deny it all you want but there is a thriving rivalry between Mizzou and SLU and hatred from both sides. SLU hates Mizzou because you are all Boone County hicks, with a sleazeball coach and a bucnh illiterate felons on the bball team. Mizzou hates SLU because while we may not be as good on the court, though extremely competitive, but we run a clean program, have a high standard of education at our school and our team epitomizes the hard working attitudes of our coach. All of us wish we had certain traits of the other schools, and we despise each other because of it.

Brilliant answer kshoe. It is obvious whose son you are. I went to SLU with your parents. I really enjoy your posts and seeing you in those distant places following the Billikens. The SLU/Mizzou thing is perfectly natural. I personally like Mizzou but some of my closest friends do not. We make our comments freely without getting personal about it. Free country.

Seems that a lot of people who did not go to a private school resent those who did. I suppose that's understandable. I think both are good schools. I had a scholarship to Mizzou but paid my own way at SLU and am glad I did. That experience has had a most profound impact on my life and I am forever grateful for it.

I cannot speak for steve, but I would say the decision by Norm not to play SLU for years is at the crux of it for me. However when Quin came on I warmed a a little to the tigers. Then Quin opted for the Norm stance, and I felt he was dishonest in the whole discussion about why he was dropping the game.

Since then he has appeared to be dishonest, pushing the envelope with regards to the NCAA rules.....his answers were evasive in his deposition. In short he has presented a persona that I would not trust to sell me a used car.

Overall, one gets the sense that he has wanted to be successsful quickly without concern for how he does so or who he has to "sleep" with in order to so so. If he is truly breaking the rules which, I believe he is, then I want to see the rules enforced, and penalties dished out. Otherwise the NCAA is thumbing its nose at the prgrams that appear to be following the letter of the law. Like Gonzaga, Stanford, and like I think that SLU is doing.

If Mizzou wasn't in the media so much ... maybe there wouldn't be so much to hate.

I am not from Stl. ... and have always been a big 12/8 fan, so I wanted Mizzou to do well. But with all the crap they pull and then the stupid denials ... like maybe he really did earn 24 credits in a summer session. ... I don't remember how many clothes I gave him. ... I didn't know we couldn't pay for parents to fly on charter planes. How about 6 or 7 phone calls to a recruits (mom?) while he was under scholarship to another school, to let her know they couldn't talk to her.

Quinn has a law degree from Duke ... plus years as the top recruiter for one of the top programs in the country. How stupid is he? I know I don't want my kid to get a law degree from Duke ... Quinn doesn't set a good example for the quality of a degree from Duke.

Elson and Carmello Floyd ... Ed and Amy Stewart ... need I say more

Mike Aldren ... some people on here even give him a little credit for revoking RC's scholarship. Why? ... If he really wanted to run a clean program he could do a real investigation ... and put a stop to it.... but he doesn't ... he just waits and hopes to skate by.

I like Pinkel and the football program ... but Quinn and everyone involved in the Bball program are a joke ... The entire program from Floyd to Aldren to Quinn to the Asst's should be gone ... immediately oy yes please take the wives along.

I would like Mizzou to be a school I can be proud of. Simply said they are not

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Vanilla comes on the board and all he does is stir the pot - I have purposely stayed off the Tiger Board because those who post regularily there are irrational. Maybe Vanilla should afford the rest of us the same courtsey. The big thing about MU and SLU is that if MU recruits a kid that we were interested in then they are all in your face about it but if we get a kid that MU had interest in but the kid says no to them early on then the kid is no good and we got a loser. This whole Randy Pulley thing - the idea that just as soon as he starts to play then the program will be so much better since he is this great pg - really makes me scratch my head. Randy had trouble shooting and he was not that protective of the ball when he played at SLU - now granted he was a freshman but he was no better at the end of the year than at the start. By the way - Clemmons was supposedly a great pg but now he is the reason they did not succeed on the court last year - he was selfish and took too many bad shots. The same was said about the kid that transfered to SDSU who was from LA who was a pg. All I ask for is some objectivity on both sides of the ball.

cheeseman, I think Pulley will be much better at MU than he was at SLU. He lacked the motivation that he will certainly get at MU. At MU, it's like playing Pro Ball, as he will be collect payment for being on the team. I'm sure the cash they give players is paid in proportion to how well they play. That probably motivates the team in itself.

Allow me to retort. Florissant is a racially diverse community with internationally accredited police and only one resident named Jimbob and only two BobbyJeans according to the last census data. Columbia including the University has the highest Bubba to non Bubba ratio in the state! Every third person is named either Jimbob or Bobbyjean. In closing allow me to say that Florissant has never had a city sanctioned belching contest. Florissant Valley Community College doesn't have the accolaides showered upon SPUMAC but all things considered I'd rather have Philip Hunt than raping Ricky Clemons

...He was referring to the Kansas "jayhawkers" who came into missouri and raided towns and households to steal slaves to take back to kansas to make free, and then the "missouri tigers" led by Bill Quantrill who rode into lawrence and burned the town down and murdered most of its inhabitants. I'd say the Kansas/Mizzou rivalry has a bit more to stand on than a SLU/Mizzou rivalry.