Burwell Article

It's funny you say that, because at least 40% of the people who go to Mizzou come from St. Louis. Probably more. And I find it interesting that you don't mention "columbia," you mention "boone county." Well, if you've ever been to columbia you know that while it's not exactly a metropolitan area on the same level as stl, it is a very nice CITY to live in. So if i'm a hick, then my high school buddy steve is a hick.

I live in the city now I guess I should change my profile.

Comparing Boone County to Florissant is laughable. Florissant has 60,000 people. It is a vibrant diverse city with the lowest crime rate of cities its size in the state of missouri and near the top nationally. Ferguson Florissant has some of the best rated schools in St. Louis county, and McCluer North has been at times rated the best public high school in the state of missouri. Columbia and Boone County wish they were half the town that Florissant is.

>I live in the city now I guess I should change my profile.

>

>Comparing Boone County to Florissant is laughable.

>Florissant has 60,000 people. It is a vibrant diverse city

>with the lowest crime rate of cities its size in the state

>of missouri and near the top nationally. Ferguson

>Florissant has some of the best rated schools in St. Louis

>county, and McCluer North has been at times rated the best

>public high school in the state of missouri. Columbia and

>Boone County wish they were half the town that Florissant

>is.

Columbia has 84,000 people. It is a vibrant, diverse city with very much of a nght life for people my age, and very much a calm life for people older. We have some very nice schools as well, and we have programs to educate people who weren't able to take advantage of those schools (i tutor for one of them). Columbia was rated the 7th best placed to live in the country for a family of 4. (i would love to look this up for you, but i can't remember where i found it, so if you don't believe me, i understand). . To compare Columbia and Florissant is not laughable, in fact, I would say they are very comparable towns.

For more comparisons:

Median Age- Columbia: 26.8 Florrisant: 37.1

Land Area- Columbia: 53 square miles Florissant: 11 square miles

Median Household Income- Columbia: 33,729 Florissant: 44,462

Average House value- Columbia: 118,500 Florissant:75,300

Races in Columbia:

White Non-Hispanic (80.4%)

Black (10.9%)

Two or more races (2.1%)

Hispanic (2.1%)

Chinese (1.3%)

Asian Indian (0.9%)

American Indian (0.9%)

Other race (0.8%)

Other Asian (0.8%)

Korean (0.6%)

Races in Florissant:

White Non-Hispanic (84.8%)

Black (11.5%)

Hispanic (1.5%)

Two or more races (1.5%)

American Indian (0.6%)

Other race (0.5%)

Columbia:

Population (year 2000): 84,531

Males: 40,453 (47.9%), Females: 44,078 (52.1%)

Florissant:

Population (year 2000): 50,497

Males: 23,843 (47.2%), Females: 26,654 (52.8%)

I think they're reasonably similar, barring any sort of personal bias agains a particular county of missouri.

My Sources:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Columbia-Missouri.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Florissant-Missouri.html

Enough with comparing Columbia with St. Louis or any other suburb in the area - apples and oranges. Both places have desireable qualities and not so desireable ones given what each person is looking for. The true issue here who is going to accept responsiblilty and show some leadership to clean this mess up. The Board of Curators won't since they hired Floyd. Floyd won't because he is knee deep in it himself and probably can not afford a divorce. Alden won't since he hired Quinn. Quinn won't since he hired Odom and Harvey. Who then will stand up for the patrons of the state of Missouri - those who foot the bill. The legislature is the last hope and they can only do it my withholding money. But of course if they do that they the school simply raises tuition by 30-40% so who ends up paying - students and families who are once again probably patrons. The govenor is an option but he and the legislature can only agree to throw mud at each other. The NCAA - they seem stymied by not having a proper paper trail or whatever they need. So as it stands - the ones being held accountable are the patrons since they pay the bills and will only have to pay more while the ones who should be held accountable will simply escape a bit tarnished but still cashing big paychecks. This has nothing to do with hating MU but has everything to do with expecting that public money be spent in appropriate ways. I would be saying the same thing if it was SMS, the junior college, or the local school district.

Who gives a S#it about this anyway. Florissant is a suburb of St.Louis, so you'd really have to compare St. Louis to Columbia, but even then, who cares! Columbia has hicks and there is no denying that. St. Louis has crime and there is no denying that. So what, it's big city versus a small rural community. I'd rather be shot in the a## then live in Columbia, but that's me. I'll take my chances on crime, because of the benefits of the culture, opporunity, sports, and so on. There are plenty of people out there, who don't like the fast pace and to them cow-tipping, Wal-Mart Shopping, In-bred families, Sheep Loving, and a corrupt sports team is cool. Each to his own.

MUFAN2000, I will never tell you to go away as that is not my place. But, let's quit with the "I like both teams, I swear" crap. Your a Mizzou fan through and through and you have validated that 4,000 times now. That's cool, you can be a fan of whomever you want. SLU may not bother you, but you aren't a SLU fan. You've taken shots at SLU in your defense of MU. A SLU fan would not do that. Again, you probably don't hate SLU by any means, but you're not a fan. So, quit being a wolf in sheep's clothing. I think it was you, maybe not, that used to have MU -#3, SLU - not ranked, at the bottom of your posts. Well, it was smart you changed that. You sould have put MU - #3, I mean #4, I mean #5, I mean #6, I mean #8, I mean #10 and so on. And then you should have put SLU - underrated. Do us all a favor and put "I'm a MU fan" and at least we'll respect you for what you really are. Okay, not respect you, but at least accept you!

sentences ever posted here, i have to believe that

"to them cow-tipping, Wal-Mart Shopping, In-bred families, Sheep Loving, and a corrupt sports team is cool."

makes the list.