Is Soderberg the Answer?

SLUDrew

Now that we have had time to digest the loss yesterday and assess the situation a little more rationally, I think it is fair to ask whether or not Coach Soderberg is the Coach to get us to the next level.

When you look at the body of work (1 game under .500) it certainly is not that impressive. Do we all give him more slack becuase he is a "good guy" and we don't think he will ever embarass the program? At times, I have been guilty of this mindset (Yes, during the Richmond game I became a little enraged and called for his head) but overall I find myself defending him as a coach, but why? I think we all WANT him to win more than we think he actually will. There are TONS of good guys out there, but you have to be able to motivate kids and win games as well to be a D-1 basketball coach.

If I am Tyler Griffey, or Brandenburg, or a host of other stud high school ballplayers in the area, why would I pick SLU? There is no variety on offense, nor is there any on defense. Say what you will, but there is a palpable "tension" you can see in our players when they are on the floor. You will notice that we stop and think instead of just doing. The times the players did "let go" and just play the game were the best moments of the year; scoring point for point with Charlotte in Charlotte, the end of the first half here against Dayton, and many times during the games against X here in St. Louis. There IS enough talent and athletic ability on this team to run and there IS enough depth to fullcourt trap when we need to. For some reason Coach is scared to do it even when it is blatently obvious that what we are doing isn't working.

To be fair, the man is one of the best if not the best man-to-man defensive coaches I have seen, and I do happen to agree with his philosophy of defense first as it will keep you in games against more talented teams. However, even the best defensive teams in America (see Temple) will switch things up ONCE IN A WHILE. How hard is it to game plan against a team when you know EXACTLY what you will be facing?

Look, I think Coach is a great guy, and is passionate about the game of basketball, but isn't it fair to ask, if we truly want to be a major player in college basketball, if he is the type of Coach that can take us there?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In his tenure he has kept us close to elite level teams, but those elite teams could score and we could never score enough to get over the hump. That's never going to change under Soderberg. He's also managed to lose to teams we absolutely should've beaten. That's inexcusable. He got a pass last year, but this year, it should not have happenend. I dont want to hear this young team crap. SIUC is young and they are dancing. There are a lot of teams as young or younger out there who are going dancing. SIUC's freshman Mullins is the player Drejaj should be.

I think the leash starts with how he rounds out the recruiting for next year and ends with the conclusion of the 06/07 season. If he can bring in some solid (not superstar) players for next year to help keep the momentum going and we end up with 20 wins and in the NCAA then he will have answered the question with a resounding yes. If we end up with 2 more VN's and end up 17-12 next year, then I would say his job security would at the least need to be reviewed. I want to believe in Brad, I really do, but isn't it really up to KL, TL and IV to put this team on their backs and make the commitment to each other to come back next year ready to take the next step?

Drew, I don't think your analysis is on the spot.

A full court trap requires mobile bigs. While Ian is a very solid body defender, he is not yet the two on one defender for the free throw line. The trap also requires us to play either Brown and Johnson, or Brown and Polk. Either way, you lose on offense, and neither is a finisher in transition.

I don't think you are giving the staff any credit for thinking. Saint Joes had three players who could handle the ball against the trap, and a guard faster than everyone but Polk. How is a trap going to work against a team with three ballhandlers, speed, and a team whose PF is their best three point shooter at 40% plus?

Trick defenses work when you have three blazing quick guards like UAB a couple years ago. There is reason why must teams can't play the trap. You need speed on the ball, and mobile bigs. We have two of the four elements needed - Polk and Liddell. It won't work.....

If Brad cannot put together a fairly decent tourney run with Ian as a senior then shame on him. If he can't do that AND comes up with a recruiting class that isn't first rate (by SLU standards) then I'll start sharpening my ax. I still say Brad gets a pass for his first scratch recruiting class. However that class is gone now.

Everybody likes to blame the coach, but what about the players...

How many free throws and layups did the great Tommie Liddell miss yesterday?

How many threes did Kevin miss?

How many missed/weak rebounds did we have during the game?

We can all blame the coach and say we want to play like Villanova or the Illini. But the fact of the matter is that these teams make shots. You can score 80 points a lot easier when you make 8 three pointers.

I think the coach needs to make some changes...no doubt. But putting this all on coach is a little ridiculous. I saw us try to run several times last night...most of which resulted in a turn over.

Who recruited the players?

Who set up the offense the players must work within?

I agree that nobody had a decent game except Ian but the coach has the responsibility. Who among US didn't see the lack of a power forward as a major liability.....

Does anyone think we could use a Tony Twist style enforcer to keep the goons off our scoring line????

My short answer to your question is yes. The non-BCS teams that are crashing the party with the exception of Gonzaga (which has the good fortune of being in one the most talent-laden basketball areas in the U.s) are doing it with defense because they really have no hope of signing multidimensional talents on any consistent basis. If recent recruiting is any indication Brad is committed to signing the best shooters in the area, which is other half of the equation.

Top 50 recruits like Tyler Griffey don't go to the SLUs and SIUs of the world. We have a much better shot at Brandenburg, who gets a lot of ink because he's pretty athletic for 6'11, not because he's a particulary effective inside player. And considering the "soft" quality of Desmet frontcourt players since Stipo (Bickel, Ries, Baniak) I have serious doubts as to whether he will ever be an effective inside player.

I'm just saying that I think the blame goes both ways. Brad needs to find a four worth a damn and guys who can shoot (and make). It looks like he's on the right track with the latter.

But Brad has recruited solid players. Other than VN, is anybody really that upset with our roster? Based on our tradition and resources, I think we're doing pretty good in that department. Despite what VTIME says, our roster is pretty loaded with STL area players (45% not including walk ons). They just aren't holding up there end of the bargain.

This is one of those circular arguments in which the coach loses every time. If he can't get to the dance with Ian, etc., he stinks as a coach (but he must have been a good recruiter to bring in such a talent ---a talent, but the way, most were dissing before IVs sophomore season). If guys can't make open shots and free throws, they must stink despite his good coaching that made those shots available, and he is a lousy recruiter. Every Brad-basher can have their cake and eat it too in this game.

Also, I love the continuous ring of "one game under .500). Last year had a lot to do with that. A week ago today, you couldn't have used that line. Now, it is an indictment of all his sins.

The whole game being played here makes no sense. If SLU blows out a coach who has put this program on the right track, why would any other coach of decent potential ever consider coming here. Some posters keep thinking SLU is a hoops program with a great pedigree (and great EXISTING facilities) that Brad is failing to live up to. I don't see it. This is a process, and a long term one at that. Don't let our shared sour taste over the last 10 days cloud what has been a pretty successful season and a positive uptrend in the program.

"If SLU blows out a coach who has put this program on the right track, why would any other coach of decent potential ever consider coming here."

You just answered it, the program is on the right track. Good recruits (TL, KL), new facilities on the horizon, and a winning season with bright prospects. What coach looking for a SLU-level opportunity (i.e. not talking about coach k or similar coach coming to SLU) wouldn't want that?

Quite frankly, if there is a time to "recruit" a coach, it is the next year or so.

I don't think Brad is a bad coach. My consistent complaint has been his lack of flexibility/adaptability and lack of offense.

If we don't have a hell of a year with Ian as a senior and KL and TL as sophomores regardless of the role players, I will not be happy with Brad.

If the year after that, if we do not have a hell of a year with TL and KL, and whatever 3 role players you either develop or recruit then I will not be happy with Brad.

KL and TL's senior years - the same thing.

Next year is the key in my opinion and should and will tell all about Brad.

Bickel didn't attend DeSemt. And I wouldn't excatly rule out a player based on his school's history. Or we'd be saying it about most of the metro area. What schools have produced multiple high quality college saccess big men? The ones mentioned for DeSmt dominated the high school level. ...which is actually a step above may other schools.(Ries had solid career at Wymoning, Baniak underachieved at SLU, Howard played at Dartmouth, Stockbarger Valpo, Kohnen was star at Navy, many others at D-II or smaller D-I)....no not high d-I level. But who has? The V? Nope. Woods and White out of Ritter, that is two....what about anyone else?

I can't believe all the negative thoughts being expressed here about our Coach. I agree that we didn't finish the season the way we had hoped after the nice run we made through the Charlotte game; I found myself harboring hopes that we could win three games in Cincy and be dancing. But the reason for my optimism was the performance of our players during that run. Don't forget the great job of recruiting he has done. From his perch in West Pine Gym, he brought IV here, and turned a clumsy teenager into a first-team all-conference player. Then this year he brought in two freshmen who quickly became our go-to guys and the nucleus of our program. And I think all would agree that those two performed much better than expected. With continued good use of our three open scholarships, and with this year under the belts of our returning nucleus, I expect our Bills to just get better and better.

Yes, the last three games are a bitter pill to swallow. But I couldn't be happier with our Coach and hope he is in place for many years to come.

"he brought IV here, and turned a clumsy teenager into a first-team all-conference player"

Did coach turn IV into the first-team all conference player or did the coaches with the Greek National Team? Seems that IV's played improved due in large part to his conditioning and playing last summer.

I'm appalled that people are questioning Soderberg's abilities as our head coach. I know people are upset about how we played yesterday, but you have to remember a few things (all of which have been drilled into our heads by now):

1. We were picked to be 13th in the A-10 this year and ended up tied for 3rd. He must have done something right.

2. Coach has recruited 3 A-10 award winners: TL (as well as national award-winning), KL, IV. Now, I know that many would say that we have all these award-winning players, but we get killed in the first round of conference tourny play. I don't really have an answer for that perdicament, but Coach isn't the one out on the court making the passes and taking the shots. If our players are having an off-day, that is not a reflection of Soderberg's coaching abilities.

Our youth is key. Soderberg can't teach experience--the players need to actually see what happens when their in certain situations. Our boys can't be that surprised that the other A-10 teams figured out the way to shutting down SLU's offense is by making sure IV doesn't get the ball, and staying tight on KL and TL. They were visibly frustrated that their strengths were targeted yesterday, but they can't be surprised about it.

I think this is a fair-weather thread, as many threads are after a loss. After a win, everyone is very supportive of coach and completely the opposite after a loss. It comes with the territory of being the head coach of a D-1 team. Our boys have learned a lot this year and they know what they need to work on for next season. Defeats like yesterday's are the kind that really motivate a player to develop and adapt. I don't think we'll be seeing another game like yesterday's for a while (and that's not just because the next game will most likely be next November).

GO BILLS!!

No doubt IV's international experience helped, but to think the coaches at SLU had nothing to do with his progress is just plain silly. The guy improved significantly DURING his sophomore season (no intervention from the Greek folks).

So answer me this...next year, the Bills go something like 19-12 or 20-11, but are on the bubble and miss out on the dance. Do you fire Soderberg?

Perspective, Perspective and more Perspective.

Kappy and others who have made the same point---17-12 or something similar (or as Mike C. on KFNS thinks it's spelled "simular") should be looked at as a starting point for changing coaches, I suggest you drop back 10 yds. and punt.

Name me a mid-major conference school who has a coach that brings a high level of integrity to the job and finishes 16-13 one year, followed by 17-12 the next year and then FIRES THE COACH. Ain't gonna happen at other similar schools and especially is not going to happen at SLU.

We can all be disappointed at the faults we see in Brad-and don't all coaches have faults-but 17-12 next year and the two years after that are NOT going to result in firing a coach without other factors e.g. loss of big time donors due to BS being the coach and/or a significant drop in attendance.

Everybody take a deep breath and settle down.

That being said, I don't want this interpreted as me being the leader of the BS fan club. I think he needs to do a number of things to improve as a coach.