590 Show

Big Al 1

I'm not sure, but in terms of the radio show: if you heard, Ramsey was asking questions "from the Blue Crew" and Coach said something about falling asleep coz the questions were so boring:

For the record: those questions up until Coach made that comment were NOT from the Blue Crew....Bob Ramsey wrote those himself and tried to say they were ours, so don't blame the Blue Crew for boring questions! :) Thought I'd clear that up....

They were just joking around. I think Brad was trying to give Rammer a hard time, and Rammer was trying to give the Blue Crew a hard time. Neither was trying to offend anyone.

I gathered from Brad's arena remarks that he is on the same page as me regarding the arena size. I got the strong impression that he prefers smaller venues over bigger ones. He mentioned that smaller venues create a better home court advantage and that he likes the concept of the "hot ticket" that smaller venues create. He acknowledged that it is unrealistic to expect SLU to sell out a real big arena with regularity. Box and Won, SLU Drew, and I have been making these same arguments for a while.

UB never said the questions were boring.

The whole topic began when Rammer asked Brad what he does on game day. Brad started his reply by saying that (paraphrasing) "one thing I can do is sleep....anytime and anywhere."

Then, just to emphasize that point, UB jokingly told Ramsey something to the effect that, (again a paraphrase) "If the questions you ask me are too boring, I might just fall asleep right here."

Ramsey seemed to take it as a good-hearted jab, and responded by saying that the questions he was asking were on behalf of the Blue Crew. UB then went on to finish his answer by saying that on a home game day, it's not unusual for him to take a 2 or 2.5 hour nap, because when he's sleeping he's not stewing over the upcoming game.

Hard practice today....individual shoot-arounds on Tuesday.....off-day Wednesday, back to regular practices on Thursday and Friday.

Soderberg has a recruiting trip on Wednesday.

One caller admitted he bashed AD the previous week and called to apologize for his negative comments. Claims his wife was on his case about bad-mouthing AD.

Said that they have 3 scholarships to give. They are focusing on landing a big man to match up with strong and athletic power forwards. Brad said something to the effect that Luke is doing a wonderful job at the four spot, but we can't expect him to match up with 6'8" 245 pound power forwards. They will take a run at the best players available (regardless of positon) with the other two scholarships, but they have no problem holding them for next year. Brad said that they literally recruit globally. He also mentioned that he isn't a big fan of large rosters because it can create chemistry problems with too many guys riding the end of the pine.

Someone asked about Obi. Brad said that Obi is recovering nicely, but the key to his development will be building his strength and endurance during this offseason. Obi plans on spending the summer at SLU working out with the trainer and other players.

Brad also said that they wanted to schedule an international trip to Greece this summer for the team (you can do this every fourth year), but they couldn't line up opponents in August when the trip would have taken place.

-also talked about the timing impact of recruiting on how mooseman from borgia is a very good player but we already have too mnay at that postion

-says he takes this nap somewhere at savvis as they shoot around from 2 til 3 and then there is a room with a couch and he sleeps 2 to 2.5 hours (i guess he would not have done this at the arena unless the cats were around to keep away the rats)

-said they looked at going to greece for their once every 4 yr overseas trip but no hoops in greece in august so they are going no where - i did not understand why all the eggs in the basket of going to greece (i appreciate greatly the effort of trying to do thsi for ian and the message it could send to other overseas players) but i do not understand not using the international trip, even ub mentioned during this segment how it helps recruiting and the extra practices it gets the team

-he will not fill all available schollies unless there is a true fit for the player, he will not fill for fill's sake

-talked about the mgrs, how they are in charge of themselves, hiring, firing (which was done earlier this season) and how important they are

(do they get scholarships??)

-when asked about schedule for the week he did not elaborate on the printed report about giving iv more rest

-did kinda jab the refs in that he says iv is taking alot more abuse with no fouls called and he gives much less and gets fouls called on him (paraphrase here but message is real close)

-i also heard the 10k arena size comments and i beleive someone posted here earlier that the shrinkage was due to the slow down in fund raising and the rising cost of steel, but this was not addressed in ub's comments tonight, ub was really impressed with xu's cintas ctr and how it is in the center of campus (not really like our proposed location)

-said dm is built about like lm but is a much better outside shooter

-obi out of braces and progressing

-they had a recruiting mtg today and went over what they need for next yr (there was more to this and i don't have it word for word and wish someone would clarify/expand) but it was somehthing like they don't want to upset the balance of the team in bringing in players for next yr, so i guess he really likes this group

Just to clear things up Diane. THOSE QUESTIONS WERE FROM BLUE CREW, I collected and wrote them myself and handed them to Ramsey before the radio show started. And if you were listening, you would've heard Coach making the sleeping comment about if the questions WOULD get boring....which they did not. I thought the show was very informative and I wish more people would come out to support it because it is really a lot of fun!!!

after watching edwardsville this past weekend, it is my opinion that mcguire is no bigger than meyer. in fact meyer is probably heavier/stronger and maybe taller as well.

mcguire's one three he took was a thing of beauty. he spent the rest of the game being a high school center.

10,000 comment. I heard it and he said something like "the 10,000 range." He also later in the show said he didn't know who we are playing after the Dayton game. Brad doesn't seem to worry or care about the details other than the game right in front of him so I just have my doubts that he knows or cares about any breaking, inside information on a new size to the arena.

Tonight is a Billiken Club meeting right? I'm sure someone can ask the question again.

>Said that they have 3 scholarships to give. They are

>focusing on landing a big man to match up with strong and

>athletic power forwards. Brad said something to the effect

>that Luke is doing a wonderful job at the four spot, but we

>can't expect him to match up with 6'8" 245 pound power

>forwards. They will take a run at the best players

>available (regardless of positon) with the other two

>scholarships, but they have no problem holding them for next

>year.

My attempt at a translation: Brad wants to sign Stemler and Knollmeyer in the spring and hold the other scholly for next year.

This is my big problem with Sodeberg. He has NO CLUE on how to build a program. He worries about the wrong stuff. Worrying about the guys sitting at the end of the bench and how they feel about not getting minutes is absurd. This is a real crazy thought, how about getting players who can compete for jobs annually who don't want to sit at the end of the bench. This original idea (HAHAHA) would force any returnee to win their job back every year. It is no accident that AD is having a good year since he worked his butt off last summer. Why did he work so hard? Maybe he knew that KL and TL were coming in and were going to try to take his minutes. That's one way to build a program, Here's another.

Look at how SIU has built their program. They have been successful for the last 5/6 years and a Tournament mainstay over the same period. They have used ALL their schollies but have red shirted on a consistant basis. Therefore as one player leaves another one is ready to step in. That's how you build a consistantly successful program. SIU wasn't worried about the last 3/4 guys on the end of the bench. This also works because then you don't have to rely on true freshman to perform. Darren Brooks was a red shirt, Randall Falkner was a red shirt and the list can go on and on. Weber started the philosopy at SIU because Gene Keady thought it was the best way to build a consistantly successful program year after year. Brad has been here too long to still be holding onto schollies.

Hopefully the plan is not holding on to Schollies every year because your worried about the the guys at the end of the bench.

Have a Plan Work a Plan.

hardball said,

"This is my big problem with Sodeberg. He has NO CLUE on how to build a program. He worries about the wrong stuff. Worrying about the guys sitting at the end of the bench and how they feel about not getting minutes is absurd. This is a real crazy thought, how about getting players who can compete for jobs annually who don't want to sit at the end of the bench. This original idea (HAHAHA) would force any returnee to win their job back every year. It is no accident that AD is having a good year since he worked his butt off last summer. Why did he work so hard? Maybe he knew that KL and TL were coming in and were going to try to take his minutes."

and what, you have to have 13 players on the roster for that to happen? even you admit above that the competition for time might have inspired anthony drejaj this year, yet brad passed on adding x price to the roster and other guards as well. competition for pt can happen without a full roster. i actually think soderberg's short rotation and concern for team chemistry is a good.

hardball said,

"Look at how SIU has built their program. They have been successful for the last 5/6 years and a Tournament mainstay over the same period. They have used ALL their schollies but have red shirted on a consistant basis. Therefore as one player leaves another one is ready to step in. That's how you build a consistantly successful program. SIU wasn't worried about the last 3/4 guys on the end of the bench. This also works because then you don't have to rely on true freshman to perform. Darren Brooks was a red shirt, Randall Falkner was a red shirt and the list can go on and on."

you do know that this year the siu team was somewhat of a mess with pt issues and team chemistry problems. then he boots the one kid off the team and the team started playing better. that said, even still i find it hard to compare this year's saluki version as one to hold as an example of program building.

one has to wonder if the roster of weber players is starting to run it's course and siu is coming back to the pack in the mvc.

Hardball said,

"Weber started the philosopy at SIU because Gene Keady thought it was the best way to build a consistantly successful program year after year. Brad has been here too long to still be holding onto schollies.

Hopefully the plan is not holding on to Schollies every year because your worried about the the guys at the end of the bench."

i have heard coach soderberg state on more than one occasion that the main reason he likes to hold a scholarship is to be able to react if a player all at once becomes available via a transfer, or a dropped commit.

my wife teaches at a catholic high school and they have a 6-8 sophomore that the university of northern iowa is recruiting hard already. greg mcdermott, the uni head coach, was at one of his gamesa couple of weeks ago and i saw an assistant coach at one of his games a couple of weeks ago.

i wonder if brad would be interested. he could use the catholic school/jesuit education pitch.

>This is my big problem with Sodeberg. He has NO CLUE on how

>to build a program. He worries about the wrong stuff.

>Worrying about the guys sitting at the end of the bench and

>how they feel about not getting minutes is absurd. This is a

>real crazy thought, how about getting players who can

>compete for jobs annually who don't want to sit at the end

>of the bench. This original idea (HAHAHA) would force any

>returnee to win their job back every year. It is no accident

>that AD is having a good year since he worked his butt off

>last summer. Why did he work so hard? Maybe he knew that KL

>and TL were coming in and were going to try to take his

>minutes. That's one way to build a program, Here's another.

>

>Look at how SIU has built their program. They have been

>successful for the last 5/6 years and a Tournament mainstay

>over the same period. They have used ALL their schollies but

>have red shirted on a consistant basis. Therefore as one

>player leaves another one is ready to step in. That's how

>you build a consistantly successful program. SIU wasn't

>worried about the last 3/4 guys on the end of the bench.

>This also works because then you don't have to rely on true

>freshman to perform. Darren Brooks was a red shirt, Randall

>Falkner was a red shirt and the list can go on and on. Weber

>started the philosopy at SIU because Gene Keady thought it

>was the best way to build a consistantly successful program

>year after year. Brad has been here too long to still be

>holding onto schollies.

>

>Hopefully the plan is not holding on to Schollies every year

>because your worried about the the guys at the end of the

>bench.

>

>Have a Plan Work a Plan.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he doesn't know how to build a program. I think it's too early to say that and if anything, there are a lot of positive signs that show he IS building a program.

I am also frustrated with holding onto scholarships always waiting for something better to come along. I also agree with your thoughts about competition for playing time. If a player or two drops by the wayside due to lack of playing time, so be it. I also am a believer in using the redshirting. It gives kids time to learn Soderberg's system and it gives them time to develop physically. Player development is crucial. With 13 scholarships available, we should have 1-2 players redshirted every year.

In a perfect world (realistically), this spring we would land one big to redshirt, have Maguire redshirt, get a juco/prep school 4 to start, and a freshman point guard who can shoot and back up DP.