This team has turned the corner

VTIME

Based on last night, I have to disagree with the changes. You've been wanting tommie at the point since you've been on the board. Well, you got him with a 5 pt, 2 assist, 2 to night. Although I'm glad DB had a chance to shine, the flow seemed a little off without DP. I know it's one game, but I'm not convinced.

is it just me or does the game slow down when TL has the ball??

he seems to stand or dribble for a few moments in one spot before doing anything

i realize the lane is now clogged but if he is going to play the point to me he needs to get to the goal much more than he is

give most of the credit for the "flow" problems to the st bonnies zone defense. i doubt that polk would have changed that. what was he going to do differently?

by playing brown instead of polk, at least we had our two better available shooters (lisch and brown) in the game at the same time. if you dont sit polk would you have rather sat liddell?

as i said before, if this team is not going to actually run the ball up and down the floor, then polk's effectiveness since he doesnt shoot well is next to nothing.

what disappointed me the most about polk's time is that i did not think he picked up his defensive intensity any even though he likely knew his time in the game was limited. i would have loved to see him just being an ultra defensive pest when he got in the game.

not that his defense was bad. it wasnt. but i just thought if he was only going to play 3 or 4 times a game for 2-3 minutes at a time, where that could be effective is if he used that short spurt to just be an ultra speedy pest on d.

when we start making some outside shots, then opponents wont be playing zone and that will come. until then, you dont drive against a zone.

I agree with Billiken Roy here. Even when DP was starting at the point the flow wasnt much different, all he would do was run up the court and not look to score or get a fastbreak assist, instead he would just bring the ball back out and setup up the offense. In the halfcourt DP is useless unless he develops a shot. His shot looked terrible last night.

"What was polk to do different?" That is easy. Polk or anyone last night needed to penetrate the zone. All we did last night is reverse the ball until the shot clock got to single digits. 2 keys to create shots against a zone: reverse the ball and penetrate.

Polk would have pushed the ball more as well. The guys are used to him playing and pushing the ball for 35 min. a game. Zone or no zone, the "flow" was off.

so even if polk could have slipped by the guards out front, do you think that would have led to him scoring?

I don't know what hoops clinics some of you have been attending but you normally don't drive into a zone D with a 5'9" pg. A zone is intended to protect the inside against easy baskets. If IV can't get 'em how's DP or TL gonna do it. You beat a zone by scoring from the perimiter or getting short jumpers in seams by moving the ball quicker than the D can react. We better get used to seeing them because until we get a legit perimiter game, we're gonna see a lot of it. I think the time we took off the clock last night was we were looking to get IV open looks, but it wasn't happening. If DMcquire is a legit 3 pt threat he would have scored 25 last night if they stayed in a zone. Why do you think Dukes so hard to defend. They've got a good inside game and good outside game. You have to play them man to man and pray they are cold. JJ Reddick and Melchioni are zone busters.

I never said anything about Polk scoring. My comment was about the consistency of the game and breaking the zone. But, now that you mention it, Polk's best shot has proved to be the stop and pop 15 footer. Polk penetrating the front 2 defenders would have given more open looks for KL and DB, or drawn up defenders for the dump pass to IV or JJ for the easy dunk thus preventing the 25 second pass around session at the top of the key creating a better flow to the game.

Tommie didnt play a lot of pg, that why I said some action at the pg. Lisch and Polk ran mostly pg, but I'm sure with this lineup and with Lisch being a better shooter than Liddell, Liddell will eventually be the full-time starting pg and you'll see what I'm talking about. With Drejaj back polk wont be the only guard off the bench so Tommie wont have to slide off the ball every time we sub.

and we won't get open looks until we move the ball quicker. We pause after each pass and take a look inside giving the D time to stay with the ball ... we need to move the ball quicker and take the 3 when we have the open look ... unless UB has given up and knows that open or not we won't hit many ... if so then we need to do what we are doing and keep looking inside.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Against the zone you must be patience and keep the ball moving quickly. If you are able to catch one defender slow to react to the ball movement then you might have a chance to penetrate but not very often and especially not vs a good zone. You just will not be able to get much penetration against a zone. Your best bet is to knock down some outside shots and make them switch to a man.

Danny Brown was able to do that last night along with Kevin Lisch who hit the biggest three of the night. Lisch got the 3 call but that was really a two as his foot was on the line. Those kind of calls and the final shot attempt by St. Bon would have gone against us last year. I am not ready to say this team has turned the corner just yet but this is a much better team than last year.

Five mins for Luke Meyer is not enough. Coach has to give Luke more chances and if he does it will pay off big time. Luke is just to good of a shooter to waste on the bench like that.

.... beating one of the so-called bottom feeders in your conference at your home palace which is over 54% empty by two on free throws with 2.6 seconds left ... just how is that turning the corner????

From what I've read, DP either didn't like his not starting or was disinterested in the game and TL's new position influenced his stats in a negative rather than positive way. On the flip side, starting again seems to be to DB's liking and IV was IV. Surprise, surprise ... opponents have quickly figured out that to zone the Bills is the best way to beat them and still no one can seem to shoot.

Sounds like I turned the corner and walked into the proverbial Tenth Avenue Freezeout.

... the other day almost everyone on here was screaming that the ball has to pass through Ian on every trip down the court. Now there are complaints about how to attack the zone. If we were in any way a semi-decent shooting team I would think we need to have patient balance ... going inside when its there .... shooting the open jumper when its not. But given what we have seen so far this year from our outside "gunners", well, I don't know.

I can see Brad slowing this thing down and limiting the number of possessions the other team has by increasing the time we take between shots. I'm not saying i like it, but if that is what Brad decides gives us the best chance of winning, what's a guy to do?????

How do you think you create open looks against the zone? Yes, passing, but you must penetrate and kick it out. Draw the defenders in and kick it out. I can't believe this is even a question. You just don't pass the ball around and wait for somwone to react slow. Seriously.

Where did you read that DP was disinterested? I didn't make the game in person last night so I watched it on TV. Charter made a bit of a deal about how Dwayne was still enthusiastic and supportive even though his role had been reduced.

Tommie would have struggled last night whether he played the point or the wing (BTW he played both last night). The zone defense was sagging five feet off Tommie and daring him to shoot the open three. Tommie missed a fair number of wide open jumpers last night. Until he develops a consistent outside jumper, he is going to struggle at times on offense.

... probably wrongly, from broy's post which is the fifth post in this thread from the current top. In the fourth graph, broy said DP didn't pick up his "intensity" which I then translated into "disinterest." While that may have been wrong on my part, it is nice to see that the line brought out someone who saw the game and corrected me. I stand corrected.

Some folks don't take having their roles reduced very well. I admit to that. My curiosity has been answered.

We made some changes in how we played against the zone last night and I'm not sure if it was good or bad. Previously we would have Tommie flash into the middle around the free throw line and try to distribute the ball or score himself. Last night that position was played by whoever was the 4 man. Newbourne had 1 excellent dump down to Ian and JJ made a few jumpers. What I didn't like was the fact that it pushes Tommie further away from the basket and exposes his jump shot. It makes him a bigger Polk in that he has open shots he should take but so far hasn't shown the ability to make. We did generate good looks for Danny. When Danny is set to shoot he has a very good looking stroke.