Parker A10 Player of the Week and 1 of 5 USBWA POW's

Per 100 possessions Parker is averaging 44.3 points and 13.4 rebounds.  I am going to add some context to that point per 100 number.  The leading scorer in the country is Denver's Tommy Bruner.  Bruener is averaging 40.9 points per 100.  SIU's Xavier Johnson is averaging 40.2 per 100.  Purdue's Zach Edney is averaging 43 per 100. 

25 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Why couldn't this guy get more PT on an underachieving team last season?

Ford was married to The idea of Perkins returning to form. In hindsight he should have benched Perkins and played Parker. Ford had no patience for Parker miscues as he adjusted ti Div 1. 

VeniceMenace likes this

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Per 100 possessions Parker is averaging 44.3 points and 13.4 rebounds.  I am going to add some context to that point per 100 number.  The leading scorer in the country is Denver's Tommy Bruner.  Bruener is averaging 40.9 points per 100.  SIU's Xavier Johnson is averaging 40.2 per 100.  Purdue's Zach Edney is averaging 43 per 100. 

Hopefully soon we see Gibby get freed up 

4 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Ford was married to The idea of Perkins returning to form. In hindsight he should have benched Perkins and played Parker. Ford had no patience for Parker miscues as he adjusted ti Div 1. 

Yup. In conf play last year:

Parker - 20 pts per 40 min.   7 rebounds per 40.    42% from 3.   44%fg

Perkins - 18 pts per 40 min. 3.5 rebounds per 40.  35% from 3.  44%$FG

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Hopefully soon we see Gibby get freed up 

I hope to see that too, but people really need to understand how insanely good Parker's points per possession numbers are.  Parker is scoring more points every trip he takes down the court than the top 3 scorers in the country.  It is just absolutely insane when you consider he is only averaging 15.8 ppg.  Limited minutes are preventing him from averaging a number that would place him among the top scorers in the country.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Here’s how good a healthy Parker is, he’s Pistol Pete without having his dad for a coach. If Parker’s dad was the head man, the youngsters among us would see for themselves what a phenomenon the Pistol was in person. 

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

Here’s how good a healthy Parker is, he’s Pistol Pete without having his dad for a coach. If Parker’s dad was the head man, the youngsters among us would see for themselves what a phenomenon the Pistol was in person. 

I don't know about Pistol Pete, but in this lost season I want to see Parker playing every minute possible.  He has the ability to set scoring marks down the stretch that can provide good memories to what otherwise is an awful season.  The stats for points per 100 only go back to 09-10 on sports reference.  Parker is currently averaging 44.3 per 100.  Only two Billikens ever averaged over 30 per 100.  Perkins did it twice with a high 32.8 in the 20-21 season.  Mitchell did in the 09-10 at 30.6  Parker is currently blowing those numbers away.

I don't like the per 40 minute numbers as much because they don't account for tempo, but let's look at those.  They go back to the 77-78 season.  Parker is averaging 30.9 per 40 minutes right now.  Only two Billikens have averaged 23 or more per 40.  Hughes averaged 25.8 per 40 in his only season.  David Burns averaged 23.9 per 40 in 80-81.

Parker is not only putting up historic scoring numbers when he is on the court, but is blowing away what any previous Billiken has ever done.

billiken_roy and CenHudDude like this

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

I hope to see that too, but people really need to understand how insanely good Parker's points per possession numbers are.  Parker is scoring more points every trip he takes down the court than the top 3 scorers in the country.  It is just absolutely insane when you consider he is only averaging 15.8 ppg.  Limited minutes are preventing him from averaging a number that would place him among the top scorers in the country.

Excellent analysis….much like how SLU has been one of the better teams nationally in 3 pt shooting percentage, negated by ranking low in 3 pt attempts. Earth to coach Ford…

• HoosierPal changed the title to Parker A10 Player of the Week and 1 of 5 USBWA POW's
On 2/12/2024 at 3:21 PM, billikenbill said:

Good points but there will never be another Pistol Pete. He could also pull off some amazing assists.