2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Schertz in one way reminds me of young Bruce Weber.  It sure isn't the style of play, but with how bad Schertz supposedly wants the job.  Weber's time has now passed, but Weber desperately wanted the the SLU job when both Romar and Soderberg were hired.  Weber thought the job was the perfect fit for him.  SLU passed on him both times. If they would have hired Weber on either of those occasions, especially following Spoon, SLU might might (probably?) makes the Big East cut in 2005.  Romar without a doubt was a good hire, but Bruce Weber would have been the great hire.  I think there is something to be said about a coach who really does view the job as the perfect fit for himself.

Good point. Soderberg was a lazy hire.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I'd want your recommendations. 

I've said Mack before and that may be a pipe dream, but he should be the first call (that call may have been made a month or two ago).

After that, Moser, if he's available and wants to come here.

I think Devries has better track record during his time at Drake than Scherz (3 NCAA appearances in the past 4 years and the year he didn't make it, he went 25-11).

Take a look at what Will Wade did with McNeese State this year.  They are 28-3 with a win at Michigan.  Last year, McNeese State was 11-23.  He's proven he knows how to quickly turn around a program.  Also, he's one of these guys that may appreciate our position in the basketball world and understand that he could become a Mark Few type coach by staying here rather than trying to go P5 again.  Apparently, Wade is being mentioned for DePaul.  If he would consider DePaul, maybe he would consider SLU since he has familiarity with SLU and may know more than others the potential here.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I've said Mack before and that may be a pipe dream, but he should be the first call (that call may have been made a month or two ago).

After that, Moser, if he's available and wants to come here.

I think Devries has better track record during his time at Drake than Scherz (3 NCAA appearances in the past 4 years and the year he didn't make it, he went 25-11).

Take a look at what Will Wade did with McNeese State this year.  They are 28-3 with a win at Michigan.  Last year, McNeese State was 11-23.  He's proven he knows how to quickly turn around a program.  Also, he's one of these guys that may appreciate our position in the basketball world and understand that he could become a Mark Few type coach by staying here rather than trying to go P5 again.  Apparently, Wade is being mentioned for DePaul.  If he would consider DePaul, maybe he would consider SLU since he has familiarity with SLU and may know more than others the potential here.

Wade still has 1 more year on his show clause. SLU’s AD is notoriously risk adverse and we are definitely not as desperate as DePaul. There’s a reason why most programs won’t touch Wade until next year. 
Also, we shouldn’t be looking for the next “Mark Few” because he’s a very unique outlier. I would be happy to find our own “Randy Bennett” but we need to be realistic. 

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

Schertz in one way reminds me of a young Bruce Weber.  It sure isn't the style of play, but with how bad Schertz supposedly wants the job.  Weber's time has now passed, but Weber desperately wanted the the SLU job when both Romar and Soderberg were hired.  Weber thought the job was the perfect fit for him.  SLU passed on him both times. If they would have hired Weber on either of those occasions, especially following Spoon, SLU might (probably?) makes the Big East cut in 2005.  Romar without a doubt was a good hire, but Bruce Weber would have been the great hire.  I think there is something to be said about a coach who really does view the job as the perfect fit for himself.

I've heard the exact opposite.  Weber interviewed when we hired Romar but pulled his name out and when Soderberg was hired he wouldn't even interview with us.  He really wanted the job when we hired Spoon and he and Mike Brey were our backups to Sponhour.

Just to put a little extra pressure on the situation the college landscape is about to change again. The B10/SEC are demanding a bigger cut of the CFP pie and I Believe willing to walk away.  What does that do to the NCAA? The beginning of the end.  Would be best to be in a position of strength instead of weakness next reshuffling 

Oh also on this according to Ross Dellenger article ESPN can change their deal with ACC in 2025 and that would affect the grant of Rights.  ESPN could effectively give Clemson and FSU an out to the SEC who they have the rights to broadcast.

CFP deal is only agreed to for 2 more years.

Find out when conferences stop being polite and start getting real.

2 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Just to put a little extra pressure on the situation the college landscape is about to change again. The B10/SEC are demanding a bigger cut of the CFP pie and I Believe willing to walk away.  What does that do to the NCAA? The beginning of the end.  Would be best to be in a position of strength instead of weakness next reshuffling 

-we screwed that pooch long ago

7 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-we screwed that pooch long ago 

Yeah we missed it. But there might be a basketball only thing coming. 

40 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Oh also on this according to Ross Dellenger article ESPN can change their deal with ACC in 2025 and that would affect the grant of Rights.  ESPN could effectively give Clemson and FSU an out to the SEC who they have the rights to broadcast.

CFP deal is only agreed to for 2 more years.

Find out when conferences stop being polite and start getting real.

just because they pull out in football doesn’t mean they can’t stay in the other sports

1 minute ago, Lord Elrond said:

just because they pull out in football doesn’t mean they can’t stay in the other sports

Sportus interruptus