NC St over The Bills by 12

The Wiz

40 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Please show when this happened - I don't remember that.  I guess at the end of the game when he wanted to have all the players on defense over the half court line it could have happened.

i was about to more or less ask the same thing.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Good points. It is crazy to compare Ford to Crews.

Ford is comparable to Spoonhour or Grawer. Maybe worse than one or both, but comparable.

Crews is one of the only coaches, for a team I have followed, where I had to admit he was ‘objectively’ horrible.

Did they ever beat a ranked team?  Seriously asking- that was before my time

2 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Ford is comparable to Spoonhour or Grawer. Maybe worse than one or both, but comparable.

Crews is one of the only coaches, for a team I have followed, where I had to admit he was ‘objectively’ horrible.

Comparable to Grawer, maybe.  That said Grawer inherited a mess so bad that the program was seriously considering dropping to D3.

Spoon was in a different league than Ford.  Spoon was one of the best coaches in the country (like top 5-10) in his prime and he was in his prime until his last season at SLU.  He took the program to the NCAA tournament 3 times in 7 seasons.  A program that hadn't been to the NCAA tournament in 35 years when he took it over.  He did that in the best two conferences we have played in during my lifetime with some of the worst facilities in the country and a shoestring budget for the program.  I would say that Majerus might have been a better coach, but Spoon honestly had the better run at SLU.  Spoon was so well respected when he was the Southwest Mo St. coach he was offered and turned down the Kansas job in 1988.  They ultimately hired Roy Williams.

6 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Whoah no. No way.

Wtf are you smoking? Spoons? Grawer?

Ford is closer to soderberg.

20 hours ago, brianstl said:

Comparable to Grawer, maybe.  That said Grawer inherited a mess so bad that the program was seriously considering dropping to D3.

Spoon was in a different league than Ford.  Spoon was one of the best coaches in the country (like top 5-10) in his prime and he was in his prime until his last season at SLU.  He took the program to the NCAA tournament 3 times in 7 seasons.  A program that hadn't been to the NCAA tournament in 35 years when he took it over.  He did that in the best two conferences we have played in during my lifetime with some of the worst facilities in the country and a shoestring budget for the program.  I would say that Majerus might have been a better coach, but Spoon honestly had the better run at SLU.  Spoon was so well respected when he was the Southwest Mo St. coach he was offered and turned down the Kansas job in 1988.  They ultimately hired Roy Williams.

Ok. You make good points. I agree with these statements. I don’t think it is fair to throw a comparison with Spoonhour around. The reason he gets thrown in there is because of winning percentage and total wins. Ford is definitely divisive for the fans. I still don’t think it is fair to throw Crews in this mix. Personally, north of Grawer, before my time as a fan anyway, so I can’t really argue either way. So, maybe that is the best comparison. Soderberg is probably also a good comparison.

brianstl likes this

41 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Ok. You make good points. I agree with these statements. I don’t think it is fair to throw a comparison with Spoonhour around. The reason he gets thrown in there is because of winning percentage and total wins. Ford is definitely divisive for the fans. I still don’t think it is fair to throw Crews in this mix. Personally, north of Grawer, before my time as a fan anyway, so I can’t really argue either way. So, maybe that is the best comparison. Soderberg is probably also a good comparison.

I'd also note that the conferences that Grawer, Spoons, Soderberg, and Romar had to navigate regularly put us up against AP nationally ranked opponents. Year after year we had to contend with road and home games against.. Marquette, Xavier, Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis .. The only programs in the A10 that have even been in the ballpark of investment of us is Dayton and VCU. That's it. The other programs are spending a fraction of what UD, VCU, and SLU spend. Ford is like 5-10 vs UD and 2-6 or something against VCU. It's pathetic.

I couldn't find LA Tech's Talvin Hester's salary but Konkol before him was making about 400 a year. That's a lot of money, but pales in comparison to what CTF is paid.

SLU is supposed to be big time hoops and just sweeping aside lesser, lower funded competition. We are not doing that. This is not the "little engine that could" anymore. This is the Louisville of the A10, and we are getting a Kenny Payne-esque performance.

It's shameful and it is a laughingstock. SLU should be dominating the A10, there's just no way around it.

40 minutes ago, Soderball said:

I'd also note that the conferences that Grawer, Spoons, Soderberg, and Romar had to navigate regularly put us up against AP nationally ranked opponents. Year after year we had to contend with road and home games against.. Marquette, Xavier, Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis .. The only programs in the A10 that have even been in the ballpark of investment of us is Dayton and VCU. That's it. The other programs are spending a fraction of what UD, VCU, and SLU spend. Ford is like 5-10 vs UD and 2-6 or something against VCU. It's pathetic.

SLU is supposed to be big time hoops and just sweeping aside lesser, lower funded competition. We are not doing that. This is not the "little engine that could" anymore.

It's shameful and it is a laughingstock. SLU should be dominating the A10, there's just no way around it.

I find myself more on the fence with Ford than a lot of posters on here, but the above are some good points when evaluating the program and establishing what the expectations for the program should be. We are not competing in a league with multiple top #25 opponents and where the funding of our program is completely outmatched. The A-10 is now a one bid league with programs that more truly fit the mid-major description than when we were in C-USA or early in our time in the A-10. Ford is apparently the highest paid coach in the league, our facilities appear to be at the top of the league, and yet the results on the court while fine do not reflect that. And again, we are not competing against the programs you mentioned, so the powers that be need to decide what the expectations should be competing in the current A-10 and what our aspiration are. If our aspirations are essentially to be a top 4-6 team in the A-10 with no aims at getting into a better league, a lot of us would probably like to know that and will adjust our interest level accordingly. While many of us do not have lives (at least I know I do not), I can find other things to waste my time doing.

37 minutes ago, Soderball said:

I couldn't find LA Tech's Talvin Hester's salary but Konkol before him was making about 400 a year. That's a lot of money, but pales in comparison to what CTF is paid.

SLU is supposed to be big time hoops and just sweeping aside lesser, lower funded competition. We are not doing that. This is not the "little engine that could" anymore. This is the Louisville of the A10, and we are getting a Kenny Payne-esque performance.

A Kenny Payne-esque performance is a bit of a stretch, don’t you think?

1 minute ago, CenHudDude said:

A Kenny Payne-esque performance is a bit of a stretch, don’t you think?

Yeah.

It feels like Ford has been a lot better than Soderberg. I mean, how many of his teams were ranked in the top 25? That said, Soderberg finished 3rd and 6th in the A10, and then was canned. Maybe they are closer than we think.