SLU Baseball 2024

OkieBilliken

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the St Thomas feed they’ve actually put balls/strikes/outs on the display today where they had none for our games yesterday…

The Pitt/Maine game with the same display on the feed literally one field over is showing outs only no balls/strikes.

”We can give you a 1080p stream a thousand miles away, but we can’t keep track of the count sorry”

51 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

20-8 St Thomas over ISU in the 9th.   Hope they are done hitting for the day.   Even for an opening weekend tournament, this pitching is atrocious.  Official start time forSLU/UST 3ET/2CT

Looks like the weather should cooperate to get the game in today.  SHOULD.  The joys that early spring weather brings to college baseball…

Can't take Hope away if you don't give it in the first place...

Bills come roaring back from a 7-2 deficit against Saint Thomas with a 5-run 6th and a 7-run 7th to win Game 3 15-7.

That's 49 runs scored in 3 games. Offense = Check.

On the flip side 25 runs were given up in 3 games, and that will be the big fix opportunity next week in Millington, TN vs Western Illinois.  

Tomorrow's scheduled game vs Illinois State has been cancelled due to impending weather.

8 minutes ago, BillTheCat said:

Can't take Hope away if you don't give it in the first place...

Bills come roaring back from a 7-2 deficit against Saint Thomas with a 5-run 6th and a 7-run 7th to win Game 3 15-7.

That's 49 runs scored in 3 games. Offense = Check.

On the flip side 25 runs were given up in 3 games, and that will be the big fix opportunity next week in Millington, TN vs Western Illinois.  

Tomorrow's scheduled game vs Illinois State has been cancelled due to impending weather.

I am exhausted and need a drink.   I don’t think I could take another game anyway.   3-0!!!!   Go Bills!!!

DirtyRican likes this

FYI - SLU added a game at Lindenwood for tomorrow afternoon, I assume to make up for the game that was washed out Sunday.  Lindenwood took one out of three at Dayton to open their season this weekend.   Looks like it should be a pretty nice afternoon for baseball.  

7 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

FYI - SLU added a game at Lindenwood for tomorrow afternoon, I assume to make up for the game that was washed out Sunday.  Lindenwood took one out of three at Dayton to open their season this weekend.   Looks like it should be a pretty nice afternoon for baseball.  

Sweet, thanks for the heads up!  I will bring my boys there for a little after school.

Yep - I plan my travel around the initial schedule as best I can, and then these curveballs get thrown!

Hoping probably in vain that there’s a stream online… on a plane heading the wrong direction.  Looking forward to the weekend series… forecast is looking warmer than last spring so far.

1 minute ago, BillTheCat said:

Yep - I plan my travel around the initial schedule as best I can, and then these curveballs get thrown!

Hoping probably in vain that there’s a stream online… on a plane heading the wrong direction.  Looking forward to the weekend series… forecast is looking warmer than last spring so far.

I am heading up to Millington this weekend.  My wife is from Memphis so we are going up to see her family.   I love what that forecast looks like.  I saw this past Saturday it was 20 degrees, so I will take 60's and sunny any day.   

Next trip after that is New Orleans in March.  That should be fun.   

27 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Missouri River Derby Part III

Had lunch with a guy who told me story about why baseball doesn’t have lights.

The new lights were offered by a long time slu alum group to honor his dad who played in the 50’s and they refused them because of install costs. Would have honored a local alum and helped program. Win-win, instead neither wins but entire program will pay for mbb dumpster fire. Literally have to pay millions of dollars to make coach leave.

Chris May is really dumb, no more questioning that any longer. However, Fred and BoT might be even dumber because they’ve kept him around all these years. 

50 minutes ago, slu92 said:

The new lights were offered by a long time slu alum group to honor his dad who played in the 50’s and they refused them because of install costs. Would have honored a local alum and helped program. Win-win, instead neither wins but entire program will pay for mbb dumpster fire. Literally have to pay millions of dollars to make coach leave.

Chris May is really dumb, no more questioning that any longer. However, Fred and BoT might be even dumber because they’ve kept him around all these years. 

Several people on this board have mentioned that situation.    It does make me wonder if May isn't dumb, just a bad guy, who really treats some of his programs like crap, ie  Baseball, Field Hockey.  

54 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

It does make me wonder if May isn't dumb, just a bad guy

He's definitely not dumb. I do believe he's your stereotypical "business first, people last" businessman and, depending on your perspective, that can be evil.

SLU_Lax likes this

54 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

He's definitely not dumb. I do believe he's your stereotypical "business first, people last" businessman and, depending on your perspective, that can be evil.

He’s a really bad businessman then, $2.5M annually to be a cellar dweller, with a “plan.”

AGB91 likes this

3 hours ago, slu92 said:

The state of the SLU baseball facility is a blight and travesty on both the school and our city. Shameful. Roy Lee field over at my alma mater has had permanent seating(yes wow an actual grandstand) turf outfield and other typical amenities for years. The turf got installed nearly 10 bleeping years ago. At SIUE. WTF is wrong with SLU!!??

1 hour ago, TRN said:

He’s a really bad businessman then, $2.5M annually to be a cellar dweller, with a “plan.”

2.5 does seem ridiculous but don’t forget many on this board though he was going to be the next Kentucky coach. There was a lot of lock him up talk. 

2 minutes ago, willie said:

2.5 does seem ridiculous but don’t forget many on this board though he was going to be the next Kentucky coach. There was a lot of lock him up talk. 

Probably bidding against ourselves.

38 minutes ago, Soderball said:

The state of the SLU baseball facility is a blight and travesty on both the school and our city. Shameful. Roy Lee field over at my alma mater has had permanent seating(yes wow an actual grandstand) turf outfield and other typical amenities for years. The turf got installed nearly 10 bleeping years ago. At SIUE. WTF is wrong with SLU!!??

The team that led the A-10 in hits and were near the top in multiple metrics last year had ZERO productive transfers out.

Multiple productive transfers IN, and a strong freshman class.

Why is that when the field is pathetic compared to the other facilities around it, at SLU, and at surrounding schools with FAR LESS resources than SLU?

Because the players want to play for Hendrickson, and some of the best prep coaches, trainers and evaluators in MO and IL refer players to SLU that will FIT.

The program and the facility is neglected because IMO Hendrickson is way too Alpha for May.  The players have this same sentiment and know there’s friction… oh and still paying for meals in the shiny new CC while basketball eats like kings and queens.

Soderball and OkieBilliken like this

5 minutes ago, BillTheCat said:

The team that led the A-10 in hits and were near the top in multiple metrics last year had ZERO productive transfers out.

Multiple productive transfers IN, and a strong freshman class.

Why is that when the field is pathetic compared to the other facilities around it, at SLU, and at surrounding schools with FAR LESS resources than SLU?

Because the players want to play for Hendrickson, and some of the best prep coaches, trainers and evaluators in MO and IL refer players to SLU that will FIT.

The program and the facility is neglected because IMO Hendrickson is way too Alpha for May.  The players have this same sentiment and know there’s friction… oh and still paying for meals in the shiny new CC while basketball eats like kings and queens.

The real rub with this is that it's not even about NIL money or money generally; it's just about having a commitment to at least meet programs with less resources where they are on facilities and support. I'm pretty sure team meals for other sports would be a rounding error on the budget; and i can't fathom why baseball doesn't have a decent grandstand, concessions, so on for games.