SLU Athletics/NIL

slu92

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

These are estimates based on social media followers not actual numbers.  Arch Manning is taking no NIL. Unsure about Bronny.

You've seen real Numbers FSU freshman football player (not a famous name) $15,000/mo. Texas offensive lineman $50,000/ season (Pancake Factory). Those are collective numbers that have made it public.

Exactly. The vast majority of these are private contracts. These goofy estimates are just that - estimates. No collective worth their salt is releasing any sort of pay numbers because it would put them in a really weird spot. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

According to Sports Illustrated, the Athletic, ESPN, talk Sports, Sports Keeda, and several other outlets, Arch Manning has an NIL package of $3.2 million.  One article compared his NIL to NFL QB's.  He makes more than Justin Fields and Brock Purdy, a NFL MVP candidate.  Arch may have to take a salary cut to join the NFL.

I live in Austin, TX, I'm a UT season ticket holder, I am a Horns247 subscriber, and consume mass quantities of Texas Sports info. The direct quote is that Manning is taking no NIL until he becomes the starter at Texas (see below).  He's done 1 deal and the proceeds went to charity. If Manning went against that word it would be known. Every aspect of UT football is scrutinized and re- scrutinized. So I believe he's taking nothing. All other NIL deals by Texas athletes get hyped. Ewers with Wrangler, Bijan's Dijon etc. 

All the sources are estimates of what they could make. So your scribes are wrong or you're misreading it.

“Everybody is under this assumption that this was an NIL deal for him to come to the University of Texas. It was absolutely not,” Sarkisian said, via TheAthleti.com. “He’s taken zero money from an NIL perspective.”

The nephew of Peyton and Eli Manning and grandson of Archie Manning, Arch Manning’s family convinced him that he shouldn’t be earning endorsement money until he’s actually playing.

“The beauty of it for us, his NIL value — whatever it is — his grandpa won’t let him take any NIL money,” Sarkisian said. “He said, ‘You can take money when you become a player and you start.’”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/arch-manning-is-taking-no-nil-money-until-hes-a-starter#:~:text=The nephew of Peyton and,NIL money%2C” Sarkisian said.

@TheA_BombHe said he would take no NIL money while in High School 

You can find the same 10 sources I did. Several are dated Dec 2023. Even the Austin American has an article from Sept 2013 saying  he donated $100,000 of NIL money to the Ronald McDonald House. Kudos to the young man for siphoning off his NIL money to charity.  That puts him in the NIL.

20 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I live in Austin, TX, I'm a UT season ticket holder, I am a Horns247 subscriber, and consume mass quantities of Texas Sports info. The direct quote is that Manning is taking no NIL until he becomes the starter at Texas (see below).  He's done 1 deal and the proceeds went to charity. If Manning went against that word it would be known. Every aspect of UT football is scrutinized and re- scrutinized. So I believe he's taking nothing. All other NIL deals by Texas athletes get hyped. Ewers with Wrangler, Bijan's Dijon etc. 

All the sources are estimates of what they could make. So your scribes are wrong or you're misreading it.

“Everybody is under this assumption that this was an NIL deal for him to come to the University of Texas. It was absolutely not,” Sarkisian said, via TheAthleti.com. “He’s taken zero money from an NIL perspective.”

The nephew of Peyton and Eli Manning and grandson of Archie Manning, Arch Manning’s family convinced him that he shouldn’t be earning endorsement money until he’s actually playing.

“The beauty of it for us, his NIL value — whatever it is — his grandpa won’t let him take any NIL money,” Sarkisian said. “He said, ‘You can take money when you become a player and you start.’”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/arch-manning-is-taking-no-nil-money-until-hes-a-starter#:~:text=The nephew of Peyton and,NIL money%2C” Sarkisian said.

-so is there another "perspective"?

15 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Seems like we are descending into madness here.   Do we really want unlimited transfers?  Rules are all terrible until there are none.  Quick aside - are there different rules for basketball than football?  Seems like football players go wherever they want, whenever they want, no questions asked.   

willie likes this

1 hour ago, OkieBilliken said:

Seems like we are descending into madness here.   Do we really want unlimited transfers?  Rules are all terrible until there are none.  Quick aside - are there different rules for basketball than football?  Seems like football players go wherever they want, whenever they want, no questions asked.   

The rules are basically the same for football and basketball.  You may recall a highly publicized UNC football transfer case that was initially denied and then reversed on appeal this fall.  Football didn't get to take advantage of the temporary revision in the 2X transfer policy that went into place in December, as their season was all but over. 

What is kind of funny is that there was an article maybe a year ago which stated that many D1 coaches, football and basketball, were in favor of the 2X transfer rule.  But when it impacted their team, hmm, not so good.

I will be interested in seeing if this temporary moratorium on limiting 2X transfers becomes permanent.  Chances are it will. Then you very likely will see in season transfers in basketball.  Switch your allegiance at semester break and play for 2 teams in one season.   Follow the money....

I don 't think there are any transfer limitations in NCAA sports other than football and basketball.  I don't follow college hockey or lacrosse but my daughter dated a soccer player at High Point University who made All Big South his first two years then walked out the door to NC State, no questions asked.  Full ride.

24 minutes ago, SLUMS81 said:

What happens when ‘unlimited transfers’ meets 13 maximum scholarships? Will we see teams accumulating high level walk-ons,  using NIL money to pay tuition to attend the school?  

Probably. On the other hand, players will still want playing time in order to show their skills so they can make big money in the NBA and overseas. Can’t do that stuck in a situation where they can’t play.

33 minutes ago, SLUMS81 said:

What happens when ‘unlimited transfers’ meets 13 maximum scholarships? Will we see teams accumulating high level walk-ons,  using NIL money to pay tuition to attend the school?  

Missouri has 18 players on roster. I assume they are doing this. 

40 minutes ago, SLUMS81 said:

The scholarships are irrelevant. You need to stop thinking "old-timey-college-basketball"

All that matters is MONEY.

Start thinking about that sweet green, that cabbage, that cold hard cash.

Players are pure mercenaries. Gibson Jimerson is a paid hitman for 3 point shots. These aren't your nice college kids, get over that. They're mercenaries and they're here for your cash, like the coaches always have been.

If they can't perform they suck and need to GO.

It's even more mercenary than the NBA; there are no spending limits or disclosure needs, there are no rules on transfers. Players WILL be able to transfer mid-season and maybe even game-to-game.

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

The scholarships are irrelevant. You need to stop thinking "old-timey-college-basketball"

Players are pure mercenaries. Gibson Jimerson is a paid hitman for 3 point shots. These aren't your nice college kids, get over that. They're mercenaries and they're here for your cash, like the coaches always have been.

It's even more mercenary than the NBA; there are no spending limits or disclosure needs, there are no rules on transfers. Players WILL be able to transfer mid-season and maybe even game-to-game.

Sounds pretty much like hell.    The more this becomes reality, the less I will watch/care/support.   

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

It’s hard to see how what you describe doesn’t totally destroy fan interest in college basketball

57 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

It’s hard to see how what you describe doesn’t totally destroy fan interest in college basketball

At that point, it ceases to be an amateur sport. We may as well just call it the College Professional League or something and have the NBA absorb it as another G-League.

3 hours ago, OkieBilliken said:

Sounds pretty much like hell.    The more this becomes reality, the less I will watch/care/support.   

I know I get hyperbolic with this stuff but it is the truth. I just posted an article in which the courts decided that suspending an athlete for CRIMINAL WARRANTS FOR RAPE is now causing "irreparable harm" and they must be allowed to play. The NBA has much higher ethics standards. We are dredging the real depths of depravity and mercenarism in this sport.

I'm grateful that we have young men that seem to have good character on this roster, whatever their on the court flaws.