Join A Grassroots Movement for Change of AD and MBB Coach

TheA_Bomb

Wow Mizzou AD headed to Arizona after like what one year and Chris May has “wanted” to be at SLU for last 15 years? Right….hopefully people are starting to wake up and realize how bad this guy truly is at his job. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, slu92 said:

Wow Mizzou AD headed to Arizona after like what one year and Chris May has “wanted” to be at SLU for last 15 years? Right….hopefully people are starting to wake up and realize how bad this guy truly is at his job. 

No one else wants him…

slu92 likes this

11 minutes ago, slu92 said:

Something isn’t adding up with this Reed-Francois move.  In the surface going to Arizona is a big step down.

TheA_Bomb likes this

1 minute ago, Lord Elrond said:

No one else wants him…

Same with Travis Ford which is why the guy (May) giving him that contact tells you everything you need to know about what’s wrong with SLU leadership. BOTH of these guys should’ve been fired by now. You don’t come from Colorado as football admin to a school like SLU with no aspirations of eventually becoming an AD at a P5 school with football. He has no other connection to St. Louis except he’s stuck at SLU. 

I’ve said this a billion times but if you think a school like Villanova, Gonzaga, Creighton, hell even St. Mary’s or Dayton had an opening would Travis Ford be on their short list to hire as next head coach? If you think so then you’d be just as naive and silly as Chris May who gave him his current contract. That is why May and Ford are perfect for each other. 

I seriously do not get how one place can be this gullible! 

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Something isn’t adding up with this Reed-Francois move.  In the surface going to Arizona is a big step down.

Yeah, ADs don’t generally leave a SEC or Big Ten school for a lesser P5.  I guess she went to UA for post grad, and there’s the little nugget that Mizzou BOC had a recent meeting and called for more oversight on athletics.   

20 minutes ago, brianstl said:

She and Choi weren't on good terms. Stadium and arena need a ton of work. Gates contract could get ugly after next year. And she's an Alum of U of A. 

That said U of A has money issues right now so that it strange that she would want to deal with that.  I also think Gates contract could become a massive issue soon.  And also, Drink will be sought after BIG time this time next year. 

TheA_Bomb likes this

AD’s all want to climb the ladders. It’s in the nature of the business. Why would a guy that came from Colorado, not born in St. Louis area, want to stay at SLU for 15 years is the $64k question? Because Father Biondi was great to work for? All the NCAA’s SLU went to with Jim Crews and Travis Ford and Lisa Stone? Was it Mike McGintys numerous College Cup title runs? Volleyball beating Dayton year in and year out to win A10? Wants to see new major sod upgrade thru at baseball field? Maybe navigate program through a 3rd sexual assault? Rent field hockey program an extra bus to drive out to St. Charles everyday for practice? All huge resume builders for sure! 

Hell even Colorado opened up a couple times since May has been at SLU, got his experience and he didn’t even get a sniff at that job. Says all I need to know. 

So, if Kentucky opened up would Travis be their first call? No way. 

Someone please explain after what has gone on so far this season, on top of everything else why these two people still have their jobs at SLU?

I know I sound like a lunatic here but I think the fan base and alumni would feel a lot better knowing there is going to be a considerable change happening, starting right now. End of season can’t happen soon enough I guess. 

Tonka likes this

No just a saying from an old game show $64k question. 

The salary Chris May makes is obnoxious and if I repeated what I was told, which without knowing 100% for sure, you’d be floored someone was making that much for being that profoundly stupid. Like as much or more as some SLU doctors more. Ridiculous and sad. If he made minimum wage that’s too much imo. 

55 minutes ago, wgstl said:

She and Choi weren't on good terms. Stadium and arena need a ton of work. Gates contract could get ugly after next year. And she's an Alum of U of A. 

That said U of A has money issues right now so that it strange that she would want to deal with that.  I also think Gates contract could become a massive issue soon.  And also, Drink will be sought after BIG time this time next year. 

She is taking a pay cut at Arizona.

23 hours ago, wgstl said:

I really think now this was all about Drink.  I think they did things purposely to make her believe it was time to start looking for a nice landing spot so they can hire an athletic director that will make Drink happy.  Not a good thing for your position to have opposed the contract extension of Drink a year ago and then have him take the program NY 6 bowl the next season.

Thanks to those who helped track down all the BoT mailing addresses.

I certainly learned a lot about our Board during the process. Sorry for the delay in the letter campaign. Sometimes I do have better things to do.

gabriel likes this

On 2/19/2024 at 11:44 AM, wgstl said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see OSU or A&M or LSU come after him. It's going to be tough to turn down a mid-8-figure buyout option. There's no losing with signing a contract with those money pits. They're so ate up with money and wanting to win so badly that they don't even require their people to succeed anymore; just come in, fail to beat Michigan or whatever, and get PAID BIG!

Reposting this information here as it's more pertinent to this thread:

There's a lot of discussion about the BoT on here lately. It's become a way to excuse perceived mistakes by Director May, or to blame for action or inaction.

I spent a while examining each of them and there are some impressive people on the BoT. I'm not sure how engaged they are, or how much they care about sports. However, I do know that's not necessarily their main concern. Also the BoT are not employees of the university it's more like volunteer work.

There are 38 members all but one live in the United States, the one lives in Seoul RoK, most in St. Louis or Chicago. There are multiple Jesuit priests to include the president of Creighton and Fordham. If you want to meet one of them you can attend Mass at the college church one works there. There are multiple attorneys, CEOs, one MD, one executive from the gaming industry, a professor at GW, a few philanthropists, a few retirees (former CEO types), and others. I did not notice any veterans but maybe I missed it.

After examining the Board, I don't blame them for Chris May's shortcomings. I realize they are probably all very busy people and the characterization provided by @Pistolon how things are passed is likely to be correct. Now I'm sure there are members that are more influential than others especially when it comes to sports. I hope those members initiate action. Get that change and we probably get a better baseball field and coach.

https://www.slu.edu/about/leadership/board-of-trustees.php

A few of these bios need to be updated.

a bomb, if they are too busy then maybe they shouldnt have accepted the responsibility.   not only our athletic department, but the school as a whole deserves more attention and focus than what i am seeing for results.  

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

a bomb, if they are too busy then maybe they shouldnt have accepted the responsibility.   not only our athletic department, but the school as a whole deserves more attention and focus than what i am seeing for results.  

I'm just so curious as to how you think a board of directors works.

In the link above your post, it says "The board meets four times a year". Look at the titles next to their names. This isn't the only thing these people do with their lives.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

They are influential, experienced people that have accomplished something in their lives that gives credibility to the actions of SLU by approving major decisions.  

The school itself, Directors, Chancellors, Deans and the President are who you need to look to for changes.  A BoT member is not going to do leg work, they may initiate an idea but they will mostly review, hear proposals then vote.

The BoT is not the Boogeyman for SLU's shortcomings.  It is on the employees responsible for day to day operations, planning and those that present to to the BoT.

Prior to looking into the BoT and how it works at SLU, I shared your sentiment. But now I know our athletic department issues lie at the feet of Pestello and May. So a change is needed.

I got excited seeing that the Creighton president is on the board and thought perhaps he could be the next SLU President but he's older than Pestello so likely no.

If the above doesn't change your mind that's fine. Think about this, we can't fire the entire board. We can fire one guy that can influence that board. If you don't like what the current board is doing then maybe a different voice can influence them to achieve better results.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I'm just so curious as to how you think a board of directors works.

In the link above your post, it says "The board meets four times a year". Look at the titles next to their names. This isn't the only thing these people do with their lives.

ive never been with an organization where a board of directors ONLY concerns themselves with showing up 4x a year to address concerns, ideas, and progress.   an effective BOD will be actively involved quite frequently and be instrumental in the development and well being of that particular organization.   so i guess i am going to throw that back at you, How do you think "a board of directors works?"  maybe you are thinking of giant corporations and organizations where i am thinking a billion dollar or less asset sized organization.