Two Man Game with Rammer and Rocchio

HoosierPal

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

My presumption is that whenever our donors are ready to move on and make the next big hire, no one is going to step into that job without assurances that he'll have NIL backing. They all have to know this is a two pillar process now and not just hiring a coach. If not, they're just wasting their 

Using the word pillar in sports gives me nightmares: 

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/spagnuolos-four-pillars-faith-character-core-values-team-first/article_2b39d4ad-1727-5065-8001-c64d287a7190.html

IMG_9087.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I miss spags. He always sat right next to me at SLU games, and would always carry on a convo 

Rammer has a good voice,  is a good play by play guy and obviously loves SLU Basketball. 

However,  the more I listen to people close to the program the more I am convinced a change is needed.  Why? Allow me to connect some red yarn with thumbtacks.  Those close to the program are constantly bemoaning NIL, changing landscape and bad luck.  That leads me to believe they're getting that message from SLU (May, Ford).  That is the absolute wrong attitude. 1. NIL isn't going away so you have to find a way to compete.  2. You make your own luck. "The harder you work the luckier you get," BJ Barnum American Aquarium.  We'd have a front court this year if we held onto Bell, Rivera or won a NIL bid war.  We didn't because of multiple reasons all on Ford/May. It's a loser mentality. 

slufan13, SLU_Lax and The Don like this

9 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Excuses. Travis made his own bed with NIL by failing last season and the BVF has done next to nothing outside of try to double dip with major donors. You don't even know the proper acronym FFS.

Everyone of you should be done listening to anything regarding Ezewiro, IF he is in limbo it is nobody's fault but Billiken Athletics. Ford counting on having Ezewiro as the ONLY upper class big is malpractice. Even if we had Vice. You're telling me that we had 40 minutes a game to give out and the best transfer we could get was a 2 time transfer that needed a waiver? I don't care what the NIL situation is, that should be the easiest sell in college basketball.

Blaming injuries too, somehow Dayton found a way to beat SMU without their star PG Mali Smith. CRAZY! Empower a new leading scorer, that's yo job Travis. HINT: His name is Kellen Thames and he got hit by a car last year.

Another SLU mouthpiece blaming the players and making excuses.

We could take some of Travis' $2,500,000 per year and pay NIL with it. Luther Burden III cost Mizzou about 700k a year. We could get 3 Luther Burdens for the cost of Travis Ford. Let that sink in and these clowns need to stop making excuses.

2.5 mil for a bad coach who can't recruit. Only at SLU.

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

We could take some of Travis' $2,500,000 per year and pay NIL with it. Luther Burden III cost Mizzou about 700k a year. We could get 3 Luther Burdens for the cost of Travis Ford. Let that sink in and these clowns need to stop making excuses.

2.5 mil for a bad coach who can't recruit. Only at SLU.

We don’t have money for NIL, but we do have money to way overpay a coach, which contributes to why we operate with minimal staff.  I think all the arguing over whether or not Travis Ford is a good coach or not is completely missing the point. He is overpaid, and we need the money to finance the rest of the department. An argument over Travis Ford’s good and bad points as a coach is just completely irrelevant. SLU does NOT have unlimited piles of cash laying around, we need to use what we have smarter than we are using it.

If you’re a big time donor, are you going to give money to a BVF under Ford’s control?   I have absolutely no inside info, but I imagine the pocketbooks would open up a little bit more under Mack, Bryce Drew, or basically anyone else.  Ford has shown he doesn’t know how to recruit in the NIL era. Would be a terrible investment. 

14 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

For what?

Sorry, responding to NIL post. I keep seeing donate to BVF, but when I check to see what other schools are doing, all the things that I see and hear are around businesses helping with NIL. 

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

We don’t have money for NIL, but we do have money to way overpay a coach, which contributes to why we operate with minimal staff.  I think all the arguing over whether or not Travis Ford is a good coach or not is completely missing the point. He is overpaid, and we need the money to finance the rest of the department. An argument over Travis Ford’s good and bad points as a coach is just completely irrelevant. SLU does NOT have unlimited piles of cash laying around, we need to use what we have smarter than we are using it.

Ya but fords not gonna give up some money 

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Sorry, responding to NIL post. I keep seeing donate to BVF, but when I check to see what other schools are doing, all the things that I see and hear are around businesses helping with NIL. 

Businesses should go straight to the players for endorsement type stuff. BVF could help facilitate, of course. But the idea behind collectives is that you pool a bunch of individual fans' monies into one pot and they make appearances or do endorsements for the 'brand' of the collective. 

24 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Businesses should go straight to the players for endorsement type stuff. BVF could help facilitate, of course. But the idea behind collectives is that you pool a bunch of individual fans' monies into one pot and they make appearances or do endorsements for the 'brand' of the collective. 

You can do that today through the Billiken Exchange.  Go to the Roster page, pick a player, click on the $, register and then get creative.  

How are we so certain that we are so far behind in the NIL game?  Not like May and Ford were very successful before it.  “ we lost recruit X because of our lack of NIL!”  Ok, well, we also lost 6’10” players Y, and Z because captain huff-n-puff couldn’t keep them on the roster pre NIL.

GoSluBills and TheA_Bomb like this

12 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

How are we so certain that we are so far behind in the NIL game?  Not like May and Ford were very successful before it.  “ we lost recruit X because of our lack of NIL!”  Ok, well, we also lost 6’10” players Y, and Z because captain huff-n-puff couldn’t keep them on the roster pre NIL.

Also probably not going to be very successful raising NIL funds when the AD is telling everyone we can't compete (this is my speculation).

Soderball likes this

10 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

There was an interview with Bob Ramsey that someone put a link to on one of the threads here in which he said that we lost the two incoming freshmen to other teams who offered more, in one case offering to double what we offered. There is also a link to an interview that Troy Robertson had on Kevin Slaten’s radio show about the BVF somewhere on here in which was a fairly depressing thing to listen to.  He basically said that it was an uphill battle to get people to contribute, but not in that many words. If you can find it, it’s worth listening to if you want to form your own opinion, but I’d say that we are definitely behind on the NIL front based on those.

cgeldmacher likes this

8 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Also probably not going to be very successful raising NIL funds when the AD is telling everyone we can't compete (this is my speculation).

but i guess we can be very successful in blind support for an overpaid sideline rodeo clown.

3 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

There was an interview with Bob Ramsey that someone put a link to on one of the threads here in which he said that we lost the two incoming freshmen to other teams who offered more, in one case offering to double what we offered. There is also a link to an interview that Troy Robertson had on Kevin Slaten’s radio show about the BVF somewhere on here in which was a fairly depressing thing to listen to.  He basically said that it was an uphill battle to get people to contribute, but not in that many words. If you can find it, it’s worth listening to if you want to form your own opinion, but I’d say that we are definitely behind on the NIL front based on those.

I’m sure that’s the case.  But just saying.. as many have eluded to, it’s an easy scapegoat…