New Post Season Tourney Discussed

HoosierPal

This is being driven by Fox.  Will it happen?  Where there are TV $$, there is always a possibility.  Per the article, the Big East, Big Ten and Big 12 are all Fox affiliated.  SEC and ACC are ESPN.  Would those two jump into this event and turn their nose up on the ESPN sponsored NIT?  There would be more slots available for Mid's in the NIT, but so what?

This may or may not happen, but it tells me that TV $$ will be focused on hoops after they grab all the football money possible. How long until March Madness is torn apart? 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/big-12-big-ten-big-east-in-talks-to-participate-in-new-postseason-event-for-teams-not-in-ncaa-tournament/

The issue here is not the NIT. It's the idea of a broadcaster leveraging their media rights agreements to force conferences to assign their teams to different tournaments the broadcaster controls, instead of national events. If they can do that, they won't stop at the NIT.

I don’t think much of this idea, but who knows? Will some teams not want to bother because they are making a coaching change? Will players look on this like the football players who don’t participate in bowl games because they think all they could do is hurt their chances in the draft? I don’t see it playing out well at all.

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

I don’t think much of this idea, but who knows? Will some teams not want to bother because they are making a coaching change? Will players look on this like the football players who don’t participate in bowl games because they think all they could do is hurt their chances in the draft? I don’t see it playing out well at all.

A difference, as mentioned in the article, is that the players will be “paid” thru NIL bogus funds. “ Do you want to pick up an extra 10 grand by playing a few games this weekend.”  Draft status is long settled by the end of the season.  The only risk is injury. But players have that risk every time they lace up their sneakers. 

Edited by HoosierPal

The total payout to all NIT participants last year (collectively) was $334K, with a maximum payout of $26K. Participants in the CBI pay a $27,500 entry fee. It wouldn't take much to lure the best non-tourney teams and shake things up. Consolation tournaments - NIT, CBI, whatever Fox is cooking up - don't matter. If participating schools can get a little more money out of it, great.

23 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-so in the duh department,  any such Fox deal would not be NCAA approved, can teams practice/play after their 'NCAA season' ends?

-I watch a fair amount of college basketball and at tourney time a lot and I don't think I would watch this Tournament of Losers 

The NCAA isn’t going to tell Michigan and Indiana what secondary tournament that can’t play in.  If they do that they will lose the Big 10 playing in the NCAA tournament.

I still think the end play by the big football conferences will be to ditch the ncaa and form their own big group.   they want all the money.   they dont want to share anything.

HoosierPal and Aquinas like this

30 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The NCAA isn’t going to tell Michigan and Indiana what secondary tournament that can’t play in.  If they do that they will lose the Big 10 playing in the NCAA tournament.

That’s a big YEP. I don’t think any of the conferences asked the NCAA for advice on realignment.

billiken_roy and brianstl like this

These schools all have large alumni bases.  TV's would be tuned into this reject tourney, maybe more so than a deflated NIT.

Here are the teams that would’ve been in this last year, under the format described:
Georgetown
DePaul
Butler
St. John’s
Seton Hall
Villanova
Minnesota
Ohio State
Nebraska
Rutgers
Wisconsin
Michigan
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
???

• 4 weeks later...

Most of you are forgetting why people watch the NCAA Big Dance. It isn't because the favored teams win. People love a Cinderella story. St Peters, Butler (before the Big East), Gonzaga, well, before they were the other Gonzaga, Charlotte, Wichita State, Loyola Marymount, Villanova (85), George Mason, Davidson, VA Commonwealth, FL Gulf Coast, Loyola Chicago, etc. etc. 

cgeldmacher likes this

20 hours ago, bbtds said:

Most of you are forgetting why people watch the NCAA Big Dance. It isn't because the favored teams win. People love a Cinderella story. St Peters, Butler (before the Big East), Gonzaga, well, before they were the other Gonzaga, Charlotte, Wichita State, Loyola Marymount, Villanova (85), George Mason, Davidson, VA Commonwealth, FL Gulf Coast, Loyola Chicago, etc. etc. 

Do you really think anybody really cares about what casual viewers want - they only care about what they want.  They know people will have to watch what they come up with.

Box and Won likes this

20 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Do you really think anybody really cares about what casual viewers want - they only care about what they want.  They know people will have to watch what they come up with.

I disagree.  The NCAA tournament would get so-so ratings with a field of only big state schools.  It is the Cinderella stories that bring in the casual viewers.  Eliminate the surprise upsets and the shocking Sweet 16 teams, and you lose the casual viewers.  I guarantee, if that happens, all of the sudden we will hear about below average ratings, and CBS and the NCAA will not be able to comprehend why.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I disagree.  The NCAA tournament would get so-so ratings with a field of only big state schools.  It is the Cinderella stories that bring in the casual viewers.  Eliminate the surprise upsets and the shocking Sweet 16 teams, and you lose the casual viewers.  I guarantee, if that happens, all of the sudden we will hear about below average ratings, and CBS and the NCAA will not be able to comprehend why.

As SLU fans, we're probably more apt to root for underdogs, as our program would also be an underdog it it were ever worth a damn.  But IIRC, network execs always prefer to have the bigger programs make deep tourney runs, as they lead to better TV ratings.

18 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Last season’s championship game was the lowest rated and least watched championship game in recent history. You had a nonP5 UConn and Cinderella in San Diego State playing. 

What we may not know is how much people switching to streaming services have impacted who has access to the games.  For the casual fan they won't pay extra but for some they will.  However, your point is worth pondering.

4 hours ago, cheeseman said:

What we may not know is how much people switching to streaming services have impacted who has access to the games.  For the casual fan they won't pay extra but for some they will.  However, your point is worth pondering.

Yea but just the previous year (Kansas-UNC-two of the glamour blue blood schools) was one of the highest. 

I would think that your average casual fan, who maybe watches 1 or 2 games during regular season wants to watch a team he recognizes or reads about.