A10 Tourney Roll Call

Who's in?

Come join Ms. BAB and yours truly in Brooklyn.  It is always a good time.  This will be my 4th A10 Tourney, including the epic Championship in '19.

Whether or not you're a True Blue Believer, the Billikens need your support.  We are usually outnumbered in the big games out there, but we never lack in school spirit.

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Who's in?

Come join Ms. BAB and yours truly in Brooklyn.  It is always a good time.

Whether or not you're a True Blue Believer, the Billikens need your support.  We are usually outnumbered in the big games out there.  But we never lack in school spirit.

I want to.  I said a while back, and sticking with it, that I'm passing on the A10T to spend money on wherever the first round is.  by the day it looks more and more likely I wont be leaving town for a while, 😔

1 minute ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Who's in?

Come join Ms. BAB and yours truly in Brooklyn.  It is always a good time.

Whether or not you're a True Blue Believer, the Billikens need your support.  We are usually outnumbered in the big games out there.  But we never lack in school spirit.

Good time in Brooklyn???  Kind of hard to imagine.....

almaman likes this

Just now, wgstl said:

I want to.  I said a while back, and sticking with it, that I'm passing on the A10T to spend money on wherever the first round is.  by the day it looks more and more likely I wont be leaving town for a while, 😔

I very much understand, with the caveat that we have to win in Brooklyn to get to that First Round.  Yours used to be my policy too, until I actually attended the A10 Tourney, and reached a point of more time flexibility.

13 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

You would be surprised, Rich.  In the past, we have convened at McMahon's Public House, a fine establishment, where (1) BAB reached a level of detente with a whole group of Bonnies, and (2) after the Bills took down Dayton in the Quarterfinals in '19, it was like Mardi Gras, SLU Style.  Plus, the bright lights of Manhattan are only a short Subway ride away.

32 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

my wife and i try to travel a lot.   i can definitely say that the 2019 trip to brooklyn to see the A-10 conf tourney was indeed a great trip both in and out of the barclay center.   we had a blast and it was definitely a memorable trip.   i would rank it in my top 5 trips of all time.  

and when bay area billiken says "good times in Brooklyn", i am sure he is talking about his trip in general to NYC as a whole.  but even that said, brooklyn was fine that year,   had a few good bars we visited there, our hotel was just fine.  couple of nice restaurants.   so brooklyn by itself was just fine.   but i do admit that the rest of the time we toured and enjoyed the entire city was what made my rankings enter the top 5.  

42 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

You would be surprised, Rich.  In the past, we have convened at McMahon's Public House, a fine establishment, where (1) BAB reached a level of detente with a whole group of Bonnies, and (2) after the Bills took down Dayton in the Quarterfinals in '19, it was like Mardi Gras, SLU Style.  Plus, the bright lights of Manhattan are only a short Subway ride away.

Back in 2019, the Canal Bar was the band's place to go the night before every game. The Green Machine from GM was there the day they lost. It's a hole in the wall with popcorn, but it's great.

12th annual Father Son trip except for Pandemic. I was on the way to the airport when my son talked me out of going. Went to the airport and Delta gave me a credit . We get an all session pass  and go to all the  games not missing  one game in 12 years.Yes we are crazy but it has become a wonderful tradition for my son and I . Brooklyn ..Pittsburgh Washington DC and even Atlantic City . In 2019 the hotel had a blackboard in the room where we wrote Survive and Advance ...cool to see it come true. See you there 

2 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Who's in?

Come join Ms. BAB and yours truly in Brooklyn.  It is always a good time.  This will be my 4th A10 Tourney, including the epic Championship in '19.

Whether or not you're a True Blue Believer, the Billikens need your support.  We are usually outnumbered in the big games out there, but we never lack in school spirit.

I'm 50/50. Juggling some things. If I go, it'll be my 3rd A10 Tourney. Always a good time, especially keeping BAB out of fights with Bonnie's and Flyers fans!

2 hours ago, Adman said:

I'm 50/50. Juggling some things. If I go, it'll be my 3rd A10 Tourney. Always a good time, especially keeping BAB out of fights with Bonnie's and Flyers fans!

😂 Diplomacy … I reached detente with at least 5 Bona alumni in ‘19- Bona: “You don’t want to be in the conference.” And in ‘14 a delegation of at least 30 Dayton fans came over to commiserate with our group of 4 or 5. We agreed we both had been shafted back to back, and would be entering the Big East together. 

On 2/17/2023 at 3:20 PM, Bay Area Billiken said:

This is where I went prior to the SLU game at Barclay's vs Pitt.  Nice bar.  Got an early start that day to be one of 13 fans in the building with French's mom and fam on site.

I love NYC and Brooklyn is great.  There's a nice Microbrew over by the Naval Yard.  

@slufan06: tickets are on sale now.  However, unless you buy the whole package, you are better off to wait and see who is in what bracket during what session.  You can buy tickets for each individual session which will get you two games per session, three for the PIG session.  PIG session is Tuesday with games at 11:30, 2:00 and 4:30.  They won't have time to clear the arena.  Usually, they do clear the arena between sessions, so if you buy tickets for them, you get two games ---- the 11:30 and the 2:00 or the 5:00 and 7:30.  This will likely be the case for the Wednesday and Thursday games.  But take this from an A10 follower --- that is just too much basketball for me and it can be downright BAD basketball where the A10 is concerned.

Friday is the newly installed off day.  A ticket for Saturday gets you both games and then the solo game is the final session on Selection Sunday.  Tickets in the end zones are general admission and were priced at about $10 to $15 per session.  The upper deck at Barclays is never sold and usually includes a black curtain across it.  I have never found any of the ushers at either the Barclays or the Capital Center in DC to be sticklers for checking your tickets for seat accuracy.  If you wear Billiken blue, and hook up with the other Blue wearers, you can usually slide down into the SLU section seats along with the others.  But that comes with the chance you might not.  Last year I kept close to the SLU Ticket Manager and bought my seats as needed from him before our session(s).  This will involve a full price which I think topped out at either $45 or $55 per seat up to the semifinals.  You can also try and scalp tickets off fans from opposing schools who go home early.  Some have even given them away for free.  Scalpers exist outside the Barclays but I've never used them and I wouldn't pay anything over face value.  

Or you can get 'creative.'  We have pulled some "stunts" in our time as well.  One year, we met Rammer and Earl outside and snuck in as radio roadies with them.  Another year we accessed the building through the referees entrance, claiming to be a part of an early setup on the upper level for a Billiken gathering.  Another year, we carried party stuff in with the SLU Alumni group.  

As for outside the Barclays, 3rd, 4th and 5th Avenues are all dotted with bars and restaurants.  I have never found the area to be threatening but it is life in the big city.

crymdg2 likes this