Kent Miller fired

OkieBilliken

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

beyond the scheduling concern? 

it could certainly be a cost concern as well to put the floor down, seats and concessions. 

I agree it could be costly and a logistical challenge, but the seasons don’t overlap much. The bigger issue I see is until crowds reach a size to fill up where they play now in Chaifetz Pavillion, I’m not sure I see why it’s necessary. If you only have a crowd of 300 or so, playing in the main arena makes the place kind of dead. I think it’s better to play in a smaller place where the crowd is closer to the action and makes it feel more personal. Come catch a WBB game if you want to see what a crowd of 300 feels like in a 10,800 capacity arena.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

I agree it could be costly and a logistical challenge, but the seasons don’t overlap much. The bigger issue I see is until crowds reach a size to fill up where they play now in Chaifetz Pavillion, I’m not sure I see why it’s necessary. If you only have a crowd of 300 or so, playing in the main arena makes the place kind of dead. I think it’s better to play in a smaller place where the crowd is closer to the action and makes it feel more personal. Come catch a WBB game if you want to see what a crowd of 300 feels like in a 10,800 capacity arena.

Anne filled up the arena on a couple of occasions while here. If she wins, she can fill the lower bowl. 

AGB91 likes this

7 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Anne filled up the arena on a couple of occasions while here. If she wins, she can fill the lower bowl. 

It would be great to see. Women’s volleyball gets much better attendance at other schools than what SLU brings in on an average night these days (what was the average last year, around 300 or so?). It would be a good problem to have, being forced to move to the main arena. I would say make the move in reaction to an increase in attendance, not  in anticipation of it.

billiken_roy likes this

10 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Yeah I remember going to the Penn State match as a freshman in 2009. Lower bowl including the student section was full (but this was a part of freshman orientation week and marketed to the students)

25 minutes ago, Deutschkind said:

Yeah I remember going to the Penn State match as a freshman in 2009. Lower bowl including the student section was full (but this was a part of freshman orientation week and marketed to the students)

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

It would be great to see. Women’s volleyball gets much better attendance at other schools than what SLU brings in on an average night these days (what was the average last year, around 300 or so?). It would be a good problem to have, being forced to move to the main arena. I would say make the move in reaction to an increase in attendance, not  in anticipation of it.

Yes they could work there way into it as well. The start would obviously be matches vs the big A10 schools(Dayton being an obvious one) and then 2 of the biggest non-con matches and go from there. St Louis is a low key big volleyball city. If the team is battling for A10 crowns every year and playing big non-conf opponents, there's no reason their crowds wouldn't be better than WBB night in night out.

So Chris May has posted the job opening, for those interested in sending in resumes:

https://www.google.com/search?q=volleyball+coaching+jobs+near+me&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari&ibp=htl;jobs&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwisgJHtn4j8AhXjkYkEHZRLBWUQkd0GegQIHxAB#fpstate=tldetail&htivrt=jobs&htiq=volleyball+coaching+jobs+near+me&htidocid=rwRASe6rr4wAAAAAAAAAAA%3D%3D

One thing, he has prior head coaching experience listed on it. I don’t think that’s needed, I would go with someone who was an assistant/associate head coach experience at Division 1 level. It worked when Chris May hired the present women’s soccer coach, after all. I’m not sure who is on Chris May’s select committee advising him on this, except of course for billikenfan05, who I assume was the first one contacted to help him with the hire.

willie likes this

26 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

So Chris May has posted the job opening, for those interested in sending in resumes:

https://www.google.com/search?q=volleyball+coaching+jobs+near+me&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari&ibp=htl;jobs&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwisgJHtn4j8AhXjkYkEHZRLBWUQkd0GegQIHxAB#fpstate=tldetail&htivrt=jobs&htiq=volleyball+coaching+jobs+near+me&htidocid=rwRASe6rr4wAAAAAAAAAAA%3D%3D

One thing, he has prior head coaching experience listed on it. I don’t think that’s needed, I would go with someone who was an assistant/associate head coach experience at Division 1 level. It worked when Chris May hired the present women’s soccer coach, after all. I’m not sure who is on Chris May’s select committee advising him on this, except of course for billikenfan05, who I assume was the first one contacted to help him with the hire.

I think I am going to write a blog on this because if he doesn't want to revisit Anne. There's another way IMO. If he doesn't want to revisit Anne as a head coach, I would bring her in as a consultant on the hiring. I don't think we need D1 Head Coaching experience. It's worked on the women's side with 2 of the last 3 hires: Anne Kordes and Katie Shields. Locking down STL needs to be a priority. You can run the A10 year in and year out if you can build with a fraction of the top St. Louis talent and fill out the rest of your roster with good players. Kent would bring in one really good attacking player and surround them with average or below average talent. 

Pistol likes this

10 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think I am going to write a blog on this because if he doesn't want to revisit Anne. There's another way IMO. If he doesn't want to revisit Anne as a head coach, I would bring her in as a consultant on the hiring. I don't think we need D1 Head Coaching experience. It's worked on the women's side with 2 of the last 3 hires: Anne Kordes and Katie Shields. Locking down STL needs to be a priority. You can run the A10 year in and year out if you can build with a fraction of the top St. Louis talent and fill out the rest of your roster with good players. Kent would bring in one really good attacking player and surround them with average or below average talent. 

Hopefully he has someone looking for candidates, and not just sorting resumes as they come in…

Someone who looks like what they need is current Dayton Associate Head Coach Alyssa D’Ericco. She’s their recruiting coordinator, formerly assistant coach in USA Volleyball, experience playing professionally overseas, and won 4 NCAA Div 1 championships at Penn State, and was hired as an assistant at Louisville by, WAIT FOR IT…. Anne Kordes…

55 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Hopefully he has someone looking for candidates, and not just sorting resumes as they come in…

Someone who looks like what they need is current Dayton Associate Head Coach Alyssa D’Ericco. She’s their recruiting coordinator, formerly assistant coach in USA Volleyball, experience playing professionally overseas, and won 4 NCAA Div 1 championships at Penn State, and was hired as an assistant at Louisville by, WAIT FOR IT…. Anne Kordes…

You HAVE to post jobs externally, IIRC? Someone can check me on that. 

45 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think the prior head coaching experience might be a tell that May already has a specific person he wants to hire.  No need to cast a wide net if you already know who you are going hire.

He can have a specific person in mind all he wants. But the reason they ended up with Miller in the first place was having their prime post Kordes targets turn them down last time based on compensation level. That being said, this time May has had at least 12 months to do some digging.

On 12/15/2022 at 7:48 AM, Deutschkind said:

I was on the bench for that game as a manager. One of the most incredible sights as a lifelong Billiken. 

38 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

https://texassports.com/sports/womens-volleyball/roster/coaches/david-hunt/3117

California guy so maybe he'd like the coastal living of the banks of the Mississippi. 

Williams makes more than $200k base pay plus bonuses, many of which get met often, as associate head coach. The head coach at Texas makes north of $550k base pay plus six figure incentives. This of course is before they won this year’s national title.

The Big 12 and Big 10 pay the most for Women’s volleyball. Middle tier head coaches in those leagues are north of $400k base plus bonuses. Top level coaches in those leagues make much more than that. 

I remember your previous Texas assistant HC suggestion for SLU Women’s hoops, Dionnah Jackson Durrett. She is making $345k base plus incentives at UMKC as their hoops head coach.

Dayton has paid a lot for Women’s hoops over the years for multiple coaches. DePaul and Marquette, albeit a different league, are paying $600k base plus incentives for their Women’s hoops head coaches.

Sullivan has been at Texas 12 years for volleyball. Using the same above examples, Creighton and Marquette are similar types of schools to SLU that are pretty good at volleyball. How did they do it? Creighton has a 20 year coach who played at Truman State. She’s from Nebraska. She was a short term big success in juco coaching before building Creighton. Kirsten Bernthal Booth. She’s made 12 NCAA tourneys there.

Marquette’s coach Ryan Theis, just signed a long term extension. He’s completed 9 seasons as head coach, making the NCAA’s every year. He was a six year head coach at Ohio U prior a Wisconsin native and Milwaukee alum. 

Making the NCAA tourney almost annually, mix in some Sweet 16’s. This would a nice goal for SLU. It’s very difficult in volleyball to get beyond that level.

Another interesting story is the Northwestern Women’s volleyball coach. He was the star Men’s National Championship volleyball coach at Loyola Chicago. He was easily lured a few miles away to make the switch.m to some of the best Women’s volleyball in the country (Big 10) and a lot more money. Shane Davis. And he has found out how difficult it is to win in that league. 

Any ideas on what the base pay is for this job? Guessing it will be similar to the basketball coach. Rumors are that it’s not enough to get a power 5 top assistant. If we’re paying 60k then look for someone like SLU alum Andrea Beaty, who is currently the interim head coach at Denver. 

3 minutes ago, DOC said:

Any ideas on what the base pay is for this job? Guessing it will be similar to the basketball coach. Rumors are that it’s not enough to get a power 5 top assistant. If we’re paying 60k then look for someone like SLU alum Andrea Beaty, who is currently the interim head coach at Denver. 

Oh sh*t. I didn't know she got the interim job.

17 minutes ago, DOC said:

Even mid major conferences are paying low six figures base pay for their head coaches in Women’s Volleyball. 

I can accept that we will never match the salary of what the Power 5 can offer. They have TV money being rained down on them (most of it for football) and some (small) fraction of that money filters down to other sports. We cannot match that. We need to be looking at someone who is used to coaching and recruiting in schools at our level, looking for a rising star who is looking for a place to show their skills. If they are successful, they might get a salary offer from a bigger school (and we might get a chance to pay them and keep them). But if they DO get that offer, it is because they will have been successful here, winning games, conference titles and advancing to the NCAA tournament here. That’s why I suggest going after a successful associate/assistant head coach on another team in about our level. If we can’t afford  a salary to get someone like that here as a head coach, then I’m not sure what we are doing.

9 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

I can accept that we will never match the salary of what the Power 5 can offer. They have TV money being rained down on them (most of it for football) and some (small) fraction of that money filters down to other sports. We cannot match that. We need to be looking at someone who is used to coaching and recruiting in schools at our level, looking for a rising star who is looking for a place to show their skills. If they are successful, they might get a salary offer from a bigger school (and we might get a chance to pay them and keep them). But if they DO get that offer, it is because they will have been successful here, winning games, conference titles and advancing to the NCAA tournament here. That’s why I suggest going after a successful associate/assistant head coach on another team in about our level. If we can’t afford  a salary to get someone like that here as a head coach, then I’m not sure what we are doing.

This will lead you straight to Andrea Beaty. My preference is an an assistant from a top 20 program, someone who has worked under a great coach and proven that they can recruit. 

11 minutes ago, DOC said:

This will lead you straight to Andrea Beaty. My preference is an an assistant from a top 20 program, someone who has worked under a great coach and proven that they can recruit. 

And that’s why I suggested Alyssa D’Marco. She’s an associate head coach at a school in our league where they have won the conference championship, played and won games in the NCAA, who is also the recruiting coordinator there. I think there are plenty of qualified people looking for a Division 1 head coaching job as the next step in their career that we can afford. They might get lured away to a Power 5 conference sometime. But that’s only if they were successful at SLU first. 

DOC likes this