Kent Miller fired

OkieBilliken

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

And that’s why I suggested Alyssa D’Marco. She’s an associate head coach at a school in our league where they have won the conference championship, played and won games in the NCAA, who is also the recruiting coordinator there. I think there are plenty of qualified people looking for a Division 1 head coaching job as the next step in their career that we can afford. They might get lured away to a Power 5 conference sometime. But that’s only if they were successful at SLU first. 

I agree. She would be a nice fit. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, DOC said:

I agree on Andrea Beaty as as nice fit. I would prefer we go with a young, ambitious assistant over an older coach who was fired somewhere else, all other things being equal. While we don’t have the budget to match the Power 5 teams, we do have the money to get a good head coach, especially because we have one thing that an ambitious coach wants desperately, an opportunity to lead a NCAA Division 1 program. Not too many of those opportunities come along every year.

19 minutes ago, DOC said:

8 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

I agree on Andrea Beaty as as nice fit. I would prefer we go with a young, ambitious assistant over an older coach who was fired somewhere else, all other things being equal. While we don’t have the budget to match the Power 5 teams, we do have the money to get a good head coach, especially because we have one thing that an ambitious coach wants desperately, an opportunity to lead a NCAA Division 1 program. Not too many of those opportunities come along every year.

She was on that Penn State team that played the Billikens at Chaifetz in 09.

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Billikanfan05, you’re on the select committee leading the job search, right? Any word yet, or have you been sworn to silence?

I’ve heard nothing. Would love to see them interview Andrea Beatty. Played under Anne, technically has HC experience. 

I don’t necessarily understand the HC experience requirement. Shields didn’t, Anne didn’t. Those are the two most successful women’s coaches in SLU history. 

Kent Miller really alienated a lot of the Alumni when he took over. Unfortunately I don’t think the women I was friends with have kept up with the program. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Its very cool to bring back a former player.   Interesting that she transferred to Missouri State after only 1 year playing for Coach Miller.  Guess she spotted mediocre leadership immediately. 

Kent Miller’s gone, good luck to him.  Looks like what we got in Andrea Beaty is superior leadership. I think there’s no doubt that the conditions exist in the area for a great program, and I think we got a coach who can take the program to new heights.

OkieBilliken likes this

When May mentioned the “volleyball community” being involved that meant he leaned on one of our BOT’s (who is deeply involved in the local club vb scene)to ensure they made the correct hire. It was a good move on his part. Miller ignored local recruits until it was too late. Beaty will mirror Kordes and pick off the top players in a very talented pool. Success will come, but it may take a few years. The talent is poor and I doubt she pulls scholarships. 

brianstl likes this

2 hours ago, DOC said:

When May mentioned the “volleyball community” being involved that meant he leaned on one of our BOT’s (who is deeply involved in the local club vb scene)to ensure they made the correct hire. It was a good move on his part. Miller ignored local recruits until it was too late. Beaty will mirror Kordes and pick off the top players in a very talented pool. Success will come, but it may take a few years. The talent is poor and I doubt she pulls scholarships. 

This is it right here.

7 hours ago, DOC said:

When May mentioned the “volleyball community” I thought he was referring to billikenfan05.

billikenfan05 likes this

21 hours ago, juniorbill76 said:

The new coach was introduced at today’s game during a timeout and got a nice hand.

You must have been close to her.  I didn't even know they called her name out until I just happened to look up and see a woman standing on the screen.  Clearly we could not  hear the announcer or hear the clapping.  I wouldn't expect most people in the arena even knew who she was.

5 hours ago, cheeseman said:

You must have been close to her.  I didn't even know they called her name out until I just happened to look up and see a woman standing on the screen.  Clearly we could hear the announcer or hear the clapping.  I wouldn't expect most people in the arena even knew who she was.

How could they not! Andrea f'n Beaty for chissakes

23 hours ago, cheeseman said:

You must have been close to her.  I didn't even know they called her name out until I just happened to look up and see a woman standing on the screen.  Clearly we could not  hear the announcer or hear the clapping.  I wouldn't expect most people in the arena even knew who she was.

Nope, I just saw it on the screen and heard Gus announce her as the new coach and say a little about her background.