SLU Men's Soccer Thread

On 12/6/2023 at 2:46 PM, Lord Elrond said:

I think he’ll be picked up by someone, has to go through the MLS process. Apparently all MLS teams will get a 4th DP slot, and then there’s the college draft. He should know before Christmas. I don’t think ST Louis City needs someone at his position, but I think someone else will take him

May have to revise this. If the rumored trade of Stroud and Bartlett to DC United for Durkin goes through, then maybe City would be looking for more depth at defense? Not sure if Lutz reads this, but on the off chance he does “Hey, Lutz! Give it a thought”.

OkieBilliken likes this

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FC Cincinnati has acquired former Billiken Kipp Keller via trade. And they have signed him to a 1st team deal. Kipp played at the same youth club team as FC Cincinnati Head Coach Pat Noonan. FC Cincinnati was one of the best teams in MLS this season, and, they made the Eastern Conference Playoff Final:

https://theathletic.com/5134894/2023/12/13/inter-miami-philadelphia-union-free-agency/

• 2 weeks later...

Fulham just announced that they extended Tim Ream through next year.   Pretty awesome we have starting center-back in the best league on the planet as a SLU alum.  He has had quite the career renaissance the past few years.   Age 36 and going strong, well respected and loved at his club.   My wife and I went to see Fulham play a few years before COVID, and we had a pre-game spread at McBride's bar, named after another Fulham/SLU legend Brian McBride.  I kept telling everyone we were around that Ream and McBride went to MY SCHOOL in the US but no one really cared.  

On 12/29/2023 at 1:25 PM, OkieBilliken said:

Fulham just announced that they extended Tim Ream through next year.   Pretty awesome we have starting center-back in the best league on the planet as a SLU alum.  He has had quite the career renaissance the past few years.   Age 36 and going strong, well respected and loved at his club.   My wife and I went to see Fulham play a few years before COVID, and we had a pre-game spread at McBride's bar, named after another Fulham/SLU legend Brian McBride.  I kept telling everyone we were around that Ream and McBride went to MY SCHOOL in the US but no one really cared.  

Great to see another Billiken Cottager! Saw Fulham and Bocanegra take on Crystal Palace back on New Year's Day in 2005 and have been a fan since. I don't think McBride made an appearance in that game though. Craven Cottage is amazing! Can't wait to take my kids and check out all of the new improvements. No one cared about my SLU namedrop either but they were definitely upset with me when I returned to my seat a minute into the 2nd half.

OkieBilliken likes this

I was teaching in London one semester, years ago, when my kids were young.  We signed our boys up to play with one of the local youth "football" teams (our older son had some talent, but we're talking about when they were still under 10 years old).  Fulham was still in one of the lower divisions at the time.  My older son's team was selected to play a scrimmage during halftime of one of their games.  What a great experience and great memory.  He can say that he's actually played on the field at Craven Cottage.  The Billiken connection makes the memory even more special.

1 hour ago, Speyburn said:

Patrick Schulte called up to USMNT 8 day winter training camp in Orlando.

It's also a good opportunity for Patrick's Olympic hopes, as the U23 Head Coach Marko Mitrovic, is on staff at January National Team Camp. And there are no other U23 keepers on the roster.

Patrick had to miss the previous U23 call up in November as he was busy winning MLS Cup. They only took 2 keepers at that camp. There will be 2 more U23 camps before the Olympics. 13 of the players are eligible for the Olympic team. Slonina (only 19), Brady, and Pulskamp have been the other keepers in contention.

Nice little few years for Patrick on top of all of his past prior successful experience.

2021 NCAA Quarterfinalist at SLU.

2022 MLS Next Pro Champion.

2023 MLS Cup Champion.

2023 U.S. U23 National Camp

2024 U.S. National Team Camp

2024 U.S. Olympic Team (expected)

……………

Patrick is also being targeted by a high profile Premier League team as well. 

OkieBilliken likes this

• 2 weeks later...

Some new players on campus:

Incoming Freshmen and transfers:

Freshmen Gershon Henry (Salt Lake City/Ghana). He is one of the best center backs in the country. 

Freshmen Xavier Holloway (Cary NC) is a high rising outside back.

Both players have had USYNT experience and Gershon has also played with Finland’s Youth National Team. (one of his parents is Finnish)

Incoming Transfers:

Luis Lara (Stetson/Pitt/Mexico City) is a pacey grad transfer who scored 10 goals in the ASun last year. 

Tiago Lopes (Campbell/Tennessee Southern/Lisbon) is a holding midfielder with a lot of size. (6’3) He is a former college teammate of former Billiken Diego Konincks.

UPSL:

Some incoming Billikens are still competing in the UPSL playoffs (Quarterfinals this weekend) after winning the conference title. 

Some others will be joining after Spring semester and Summer ball.

17 hours ago, courtside said:

Freshmen Gershon Henry (Salt Lake City/Ghana). He is one of the best center backs in the country. 

Both players have had USYNT experience and Gershon has also played with Finland’s Youth National Team. (one of his parents is Finnish)

Incoming Transfers:

Luis Lara (Stetson/Pitt/Mexico City) is a pacey grad transfer who scored 10 goals in the ASun last year. 

Tiago Lopes (Campbell/Tennessee Southern/Lisbon) is a holding midfielder with a lot of size. (6’3) He is a former college teammate of former Billiken Diego Konincks.

UPSL:

Some incoming Billikens are still competing in the UPSL playoffs (Quarterfinals this weekend) after winning the conference title. 

Interesting.   I saw Lara play for Stetson at UNF this year.   The league isn't very good (aside from Lipscomb) but 10 goals is impressive.  I had no idea he was transferring to us.   Cool!  

35 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Interesting.   I saw Lara play for Stetson at UNF this year.   The league isn't very good (aside from Lipscomb) but 10 goals is impressive.  I had no idea he was transferring to us.   Cool!  

It depends on the year. Central Arkansas had some good teams prior to Lipscomb. That’s where SLU found Alberto Suarez who was a very good center back. Diego played in the CAA prior to SLU where Lopes played.

When adding a transfer it’s more about the player than the league. 17 of 23 Men’s College Soccer Leagues had a player drafted this year. So, you can find good players a lot of places. 

And much of it centers around International players. Some of those players are completely unaware of the various leagues and levels of American college soccer. So they end up in various places and transfer to better soccer schools. 

So far with recruiting, SLU has 1) preferred the transfer portal for International players. 2) SLU has also recruited International players who first play youth club or academy ball in the U.S. for a few to several years.

SLU added an assistant this past season who was an International college player, Jack Roberts who is from Leicester, England.

Women’s soccer works very differently. Only 10 of 31 leagues had a player drafted. So only 5 leagues were not Power 5. (AAC, Big East, Ivy, Mountain West, WCC). Several non Power 5 (and P5) will receive non drafted camp invites.

Did SLU AD take the opportunity to hype a Billiken starting for the USMNT in goal on social media?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 2:15 PM, courtside said:

Incoming Transfers:

UPSL:

UPSL Semifinals are this weekend in Irvine, CA. (Multiple Billiken commits involved)

…………..

Draven Barnett has been available and participating in Winter/Spring ball. 

Draven is an incoming transfer from Temple. He’s a versatile player that can play several positions, primarily the defensive holding midfield. 29 starts in two seasons, and he rarely exits the field. 

Draven played a year with Sean Karani, (beofre he transferred to UCLA) the brother of incoming SLU Women’s Soccer player Nimu Karani. 

Draven played at Sporting KC Academy and Sporting KC II. And, he’s from the same home town near Springfield, MO, as former SLU Women’s Soccer player, Bri Halverson.

……………..

https://www.amazon.com/Saves-Amazing-American-Goalkeeper-Tietjens/dp/B0CSXQY19V/ref=sr_1_1?crid=7TCL04RVN32P&keywords=saves+the+amazing+story+of+american+goalkeeper+jim+tietjens&qid=1707228281&sprefix=jim+tie%2Caps%2C184&sr=8-1

The autobiography of legendary SLU keeper Jim Tietjens dropped a couple of days ago.  He had a terrific career and then overcame a massive number of health issues.   Should be an inspiring read.   

• 3 weeks later...