SLU Men's Soccer Thread

33 minutes ago, ArmySportsDoc said:

Selection show is airing at 1 EST on NCAA.com. Any idea how the collective conference championship results impacted SLUs chances for an at large bid? Seems fairly bleak, but still holding out a tiny bit of hope.

I don’t think it helped at all, seems like too many upsets. SIUE got its ticket punched though…

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The selection show has come and gone. We were selected to get an early start on studying for finals. If anyone on the team wants to head to the national championship game in Louisville, buy a ticket. While I held out hope, it was not to be. Do not blame the selection committee, it’s not their fault we didn’t get in. Oh well, work on next year.

Nineteen goals in sixteen games (Blackburn doesn't count).  Overall 7-4-5 (Blackburn doesn't count).  This from the program once known as the UCLA of college soccer.  Just not good enough.  Maybe next year.

9 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Winning one of their last five didn't help. Disappointing season.

Indeed.  

Even with that, expectations should be deservedly high for next season.  The talent will be there.  They need to find ways to generate more goals next season.  1.3 goals a game against D1 opponents isn't going to cut it.  They were out shot by D1 opponents 181 to 175.

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Indeed.  

Even with that, expectations should be deservedly high for next season.  The talent will be there.  They need to find ways to generate more goals next season.  1.3 goals a game against D1 opponents isn't going to cut it.  They were out shot by D1 opponents 181 to 175.

Maybe Kalish should have a strategy session with Katie Shield on how to play north and south. 

bauman likes this

24 minutes ago, willie said:

Maybe Kalish should have a strategy session with Katie Shield on how to play north and south. 

I think it is more getting the right guys in the right roles. Kalish tried different line-ups this year with guys in different spots, but just never found one that clicked offensively.  He is adding a couple of guys that have a shown a knack for scoring big goals in big moments throughout their youth career next season.  Not necessarily sky high goal totals,  but the ability to deliver in high pressure situations.  Hopefully that will translate when they get on campus.

Final A10 season awards

Defensive Player of the Year: Diego Konincks, Saint Louis

FIRST TEAM

Christian Buendia, Saint Louis

Diego Konincks, Saint Louis

SECOND TEAM

Jeremi Abonnel, Saint Louis

ALL-ROOKIE TEAM

Carlos Leatherman, Saint Louis

Tanner Anderson, Saint Louis

ALL-ACADEMIC TEAM

Christian Buendia, Saint Louis

Diego Konincks, Saint Louis

5 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

Curious as to whether or not recruiting class rankings include foreign (non-transfer) players.  I have a feeling they do not….

No, they do not, at least for TDS. But International players do get referenced in the final recruiting rankings annually. (There are some other outlets too)

*Disclaimer: I am a consultant with Top Drawer Soccer.

2024 class is ranked #2 nationally.

Not sure why some people aren’t waiting a few years before definitively evaluating a recruiting class at a program well known for multi year player development.

……………

The results won’t change, bit understanding what happened and why has value. Let’s take a look.

…………..

Many successful SLU players don’t play as big of a role their first season as they do after being in the program a year or two.. (Buendia, Floriani redshirted). Becher started 6 games after transferring. He eventually of course went from 5 goals 2 assists to 14 goals 10 assists the next season. Klein went from 4 goals 4 assists to 7 goals 15 assists the next season. 

The 2021 NCAA Quarterfinal team, had 2 roughly 9 players that were 3rd, 4th, or 5th year players, about 4 2nd year players, that played a lot. Impact Freshmen were Parker (59 min/game) and Seth (36 min/game) 

If you look at how the 2021 team was built:

5th year: Wilkinson

4th year: Klein, Niece

3rd year: Keller, Murana, Schulte, Becher (transfer)

2nd year: Buendia (redshirt previous year) Leeth

1st year: Parker, Seth, AJ, (transfer) Alex (transfer) Komodi (transfer)

*4 of those players left school early to play professionally.

……………

SLU returned 10 starters from the previous on its NCAA Quarterfinal Team. SLU returned 2 starters the next year. And they lost a close 2nd round NCAA Tourney game in the 75th minute on a nice play by Wittenbrink, to the eventual NCAA Runner Up (lost 2-2/7-6 in PK’s). Margins can be small. 

SLU expected to have Marcos Moore, arguably the best Freshman Forward recruit nationally, but he picked up a season ending injury before the season. And he has a different skill set as a dynamic pace and space forward, which compliments SLU’s target forwards, Coppola, Wrobel. It doesn’t address having an additional new player there as well as some uneven play of a few other returning players. Mads finished strong and a few of those players are places to look for more consistency and to raise their level.

The recruiting class is very good and of healthy, that will show well in the next few seasons.

SLU lost Klein, Becher and Parker the past two seasons. And it needs more wing pace/depth.  A difference between Leatherman and Parker for example, is that Parker arrived as an experienced attacking player, and Leatherman is an experienced defender that tried to convert to an attacking player. And that takes a little time. 

SLU has had more success with defensive transfers the past few seasons, and several have been 1 year players too. 

SLU decided to abandon their more defensive formation after the Loyola game, even though it was effective based on healthy productive personnel. 

Margins can be small. 

Gremio14 likes this

SLU alum Patrick Schulte is not one of the 20 players called into U.S. U23 Camp this week in San Pedro del Pinatar, Spain this week. That is because he is busy leading his Columbus Crew team into the MLS Semifinals.

No new keepers were added to camp. Only two keepers are among the 20, Brady and Pulskamp.  15 of the 20 players were at the Phoenix, AZ camp. 

Courtside, thanks for the comments about the recruiting class and how important patience is with so much turnover.  I was at Lambert Airport in the Fall and bumped into a set of SLU parents who were waiting to board a plane for the east coast to watch their son play for SLU.  It was early in the year and they made reference to an injured player that they thought was going to hurt the team's ability to score goals.  In light of your comments, I assume they were referring to Marcos Moore.  Quick follow-up question if I may.  Have you heard anything about how his recovery is goinig?  A season ending injury is often a knee injury, and we all know one's recovery from such an injury can depend on a number of variables.  Obviously all Billiken fans are hoping he can return next fall with the same pace and skill that made him "arguably the best Freshman Forward recruit nationally."  I think everyone would agree this year's team missed him.

And thanks again for your posts.  Those of us who live out of town greatly appreciate the inside information and detailed comments that we can't get otherwise.

courtside likes this

2 hours ago, Wendelprof said:

Courtside, thanks for the comments about the recruiting class and how important patience is with so much turnover.  I was at Lambert Airport in the Fall and bumped into a set of SLU parents who were waiting to board a plane for the east coast to watch their son play for SLU.  It was early in the year and they made reference to an injured player that they thought was going to hurt the team's ability to score goals.  In light of your comments, I assume they were referring to Marcos Moore.  Quick follow-up question if I may.  Have you heard anything about how his recovery is goinig?  A season ending injury is often a knee injury, and we all know one's recovery from such an injury can depend on a number of variables.  Obviously all Billiken fans are hoping he can return next fall with the same pace and skill that made him "arguably the best Freshman Forward recruit nationally."  I think everyone would agree this year's team missed him.

And thanks again for your posts.  Those of us who live out of town greatly appreciate the inside information and detailed comments that we can't get otherwise.

I appreciate that.

Marcos is doing fine. I often have more confidence regarding these recoveries with Men’s players than Women’s players. 2 SLU Women’s Freshmen who would have played this year, couldn’t due to injury. And it was because of secondary, additional issues beyond the first injury which had the appropriate recovery time. An additional current player had a procedure on their opposite knee because the 2nd injury is often the opposite knee due to things like overcompensation. But Marcos is doing well. (Every recovery is different and unique to the individual.) Time table is good for Spring. But I would caution to not put everything on one player. It will take a few other players as well. 

As for the team, again, players leaving early, an injury, roster balance, uneven development, etc…doesn’t change results, and it’s a results business, but there is value to learn why things are the way they are. That’s one of several things. 3 of SLU’s forwards this year are all too similar in type. A few others aren’t at the level needed. Wing depth and pace is also a need. Too many defenders played on the wing this past season. At least 4 off of the top of my head. And that really goes back to the Spring season too. Roster and positioning balance.

I liked the idea to change formation and shape, and, it was effective. But eventually SLU returned to its preferred formation and shape, which did produce a lot of late season offense and scoring chances. 

And despite its challenges, the team was 1-2 results from getting in the NCAA Tourney. And they will return almost everyone they want, and they will add some good players too. SLU will definitely be very athletic in back next season with increased pace. And that is something they’ll need to offset some of the other mentioned challenges.

Some players need a year, especially Freshmen, but not exclusively so to adjust to the level. Impact transfers have been defenders. Have a reliable pace forward, and have a little more attacking depth with pace on the wings. The portal will be explored. 

And SLU now has an assistant that is more experienced with International recruiting.

• 2 weeks later...

Received a few inquiries about Jax. 

Recent 2024 SLU Men’s Soccer commit Jaxson Lee is a 6’5 rangy Center Back from Oklahoma City, OK that can do a little bit of everything in back.  He’ll bring depth to the middle of the back line. 

Lee plays on a good 05/06 Oklahoma Energy ECNL team in the rugged Texas League. (3rd out of 18 teams)

He plays club soccer and high school football (kicker) in the Fall, and high school soccer in the Spring. SLU also recently saw Jaxson at the national Fall Phoenix Showcase. 

………….

Congrats to SLI center back Diego Konincks (2nd team) and holding midfielder, Christian Buendia, (3rd team) who were named United Soccer Coaches All Region Players. (There are 8 regions)

……………..

31 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

My newest edition to my SLU collection is a little bittersweet because he got released by Austin at the end of the season.  Anyone in the know aware if he is going to catch on elsewhere?  

IMG_7815.jpeg

I think he’ll be picked up by someone, has to go through the MLS process. Apparently all MLS teams will get a 4th DP slot, and then there’s the college draft. He should know before Christmas. I don’t think ST Louis City needs someone at his position, but I think someone else will take him